Last Train Home

1/1

“Babe, I’m going to get a bottle of water. Do you want anything?”

No answer. Huh. I glanced up across the small table separating us only to see my boyfriend fast asleep, head resting lightly on the window, oblivious to the scenery rushing past as the train sped on as his Sudoku magazine went untouched. Oh wow. He looks so sweet. Blonde hair in disarray, even more than usual, his plump lips slightly parted, the light freckles on his nose only making him look even more adorable.

Not that he’d like me calling that, but still. It’s true.

He truly is so beautiful, so perfect in everyone’s eyes, including mine. So smart, kind, and thoughtful. I’m thankful for every day I have with him, my best friend and my lover. He’s done more for me than he’ll ever know, more than I deserve, and I can’t be grateful enough. Especially recently. I don’t know what I would’ve done without him.

“Matty? Matthew? Are you asleep?” I asked softly, flicking my dark fringe out of my eyes.

Still no answer. Oh well, I’ll just have to go without him. I ran my hand gently over the soft slope of my ever-growing belly, unable to stop a smile spreading as I felt a gentle kick. None of the men in my family had ever been with other men, so I was the first to experience the joys of male pregnancy. Yes, this was the reason this horrible long train journey was worth it. Our little creation. And soon our little creation would be broken as news to Matt’s parents, the reason for our long-ass journey. That was going to be fun. Not. Slowly I stood up, grabbing my wallet and phone as I slid out of our booth, taking care not to bump into anything or anyone as I made my way down the carriage, heading for the food and drink stall.

That was one of the only things I didn’t like about my new state. I was eating and drinking for two now – and I was putting on some serious weight. Matt always says he doesn’t care when I complain though, says I’m beautiful no matter how I look, so I don’t care too much. If he isn’t disgusted by my appearance, why should I be?

I was only gone for twenty minutes, but when I finally got back to our booth, Matt’s blue eyes were wide and frantic, relief gushing into his gaze when he saw me.

“Where the hell were you? I woke up and you weren’t there and I was worried! I thought…”

“Hey, ssh, I only went to get a bottle of water, I’m fine,” I soothed, interrupting him.

“I was scared something had happened to you and our little boy,” Matt protested, taking my hands in his, his eyes flicking down to my belly and up again.

I just smiled softly, squeezing his hands in reassurance. He really is too protective for his own good.

“I tried to wake you, but you were asleep. You looked so cute,” I said, smiling a little more.

Matt pouted slightly.

“I’m not cute, don’t call me that. You’re cute. I’m…manly,” Matt grumbled.

“Manly. Uh huh,” I teased.

Matt pouted a little more, but lifted my hands to his lips and kissed them gently, making me smile again. It’s little gestures like this that remind me why I love him so much. He’s so caring, so thoughtful, so sweet, all the time. He makes everything we’ve gone through to get here worth it. Everything.

“How are you feeling?” Matt asked, cocking his head to the side slightly.

“I’m fine,” I insisted.

“Are you sure? You look a little pale, Sam,” Matt frowned.

“I haven’t slept yet – you know I can’t on trains,” I pointed out.

“Can’t you try?” he asked.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes slightly. We’ve been together 5 years and been friends since we were babies, I think he should know me better than that by now.

“I’m not tired. If I want to sleep, I’ll sleep,” I warned.

The corner of Matt’s lip curled up in a smile at my protest, but he didn’t say anything.

“I just don’t want you to be exhausted when we eventually get to Falmouth, that’s all,” Matt shrugged.

“Only your parents would move all the way from London to Falmouth, Matty. It’s a fucking long 6 hour journey by train, let alone by car!” I whined.

We all thought they were crazy to move 2 years ago, seriously, especially since Matt’s family and my family had grown up living next door to each other.

“I really hope our son doesn’t have your crude language,” Matt mused.

“That’s funny because I thought you liked my crude language, especially the way it makes you suck my dick with even more enthusiasm and pound me into the mattress with even more vigour. In fact, I think my crude language may have contributed to our son being created,” I teased in a hushed tone.

What? Matt’s fun to mess with sometimes. And it’s not like I’m lying either.

“Sam! You’re so embarrassing!” Matt hissed, cheeks blushing as his eyes flashed round to the other passengers near us to check they hadn’t heard.

They hadn’t.

“You love me,” I shrugged, smiling.

“More than I probably should,” Matt said dryly, although he squeezed my hands gently.

I giggled and let go of him, relaxing back in my chair. There’s still another 2 hours of the journey to go, so I might as well get comfy. It won’t be long until I’ll be needing the bathroom anyway, another fun addition to pregnancy I discovered recently, so I might as well take advantage of what I can while I can.

“You’re so beautiful. I don’t think I tell you that enough,” Matt suddenly murmured.

This time it was me who blushed. Damn him and his sweet words.

“I think every morning is enough,” I squeaked.

Matt shook his head, smiling. “Nuh uh, not nearly enough,”

I just rolled my eyes, the blush not leaving my cheeks.

“I’d write sonnets about your pretty green eyes, if only I had my pen and paper,” Matt insisted.

“You’re such a fucking cheeseball,” I groaned.

“You love it and I love you,” Matt grinned in reply.

Before Matt, I’d never had boyfriends as attentive as him, not even close. But when we were 17 and we took that step beyond friendship, everything changed. He’s always been as wonderful as he is right now, and even though we’re 22 and have a kid on the way, he hasn’t changed. I don’t think he ever will. And I’m thankful for that.

Not everyone finds their soulmate so young.

“Do you mind if I nap again? I’m still tired,” Matt asked sheepishly, eyes drooping slightly.

I shook my head. “Go ahead. I’m not going anywhere,”

Matt smiled at me, before closing his eyes. I smiled back and looked out the window.

~

“Matty, wake up, we’re here,” I announced, shaking him slightly.

The only response I got was a groan. Great.

“If you don’t get up, I’ll haul our heavy heavy bags off the train by myself. Or I might find a pretty guy with a nice ass to help me,” I said innocently.

Matt’s eyes snapped open and he sat up straight. I knew that would work.

“You wouldn’t dare,” he grumbled.

I just grinned.

A few short minutes later, we were off the train, Matt rearranging his grip on our bags so he could hold my hand too. So sweet.

“Why are you so nervous, sweetheart?” Matt frowned, the two of us starting to walk slowly.

“Oh, I don’t know, maybe because we’re about to announce to your parents that they’ll be grandparents in 6 months time?” I said sarcastically.

Yeah, we’ve waited 3 months to tell them. Whoops.

“Sammy, you’ve known my parents all your life. They love you. Hell, they practically threw a party with your parents when we told them we were dating!” Matt huffed.

“Yeah, but this is different, isn’t it? This is a life we’re bringing into the world. What if they don’t think I’m suitable to be a dad to your child?” I asked quietly.

Without a word, Matt pulled me to the side of the platform and looked me right in the eyes.

“I’m only going to say this once, so listen to me. My parents love you. I love you. Even if anything bad happens today, which it won’t, it won’t change how I feel about you. You’re everything to me, and you know it. I love you,” Matt said softly.

I bit my bottom lip, tears springing to my eyes. Stupid hormones.

“I love you too,” was all I could say.

Matt smiled at me, pressing his lips to mine in a slow sweet kiss, before stepping back and taking his hand again.

“Now, let’s go and give my parents the best news of their lives,” Matt said.

“Yeah, let’s,” I smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ta-da!

I haven't entered a contest in forever and I haven't written purely fluff in forever, so comments are appreciated! :)

xo