Status: Please enjoy!

The Trials and Tribulations of Being a Princess

Pompous Ass

Around 1756 in the beautiful countryside of Hungary there lived a lovely princess by the name of Lisbeth. She was a fiery red headed 16 year old with a love for adventure. Unfortunately adventure was no place for a woman. Lisbeth was constantly trying to prove herself, especially to her father. The King had become bitter since the death of the Queen. He wanted Lisbeth to act like a princess. The usual be dainty, talk when talked to, be sweet and marry a prince spiel was no stranger to her. Each day he reminded her of her suitors and even more so of the handsome dark armored knight, the hero of the land. With his abilities and victories too many to count, he was quite the catch for any lucky girl. But Lisbeth had no interest in the pig-headed oaf.
On that particular day the knight was suiting up to begin a treacherous quest to kill a dragon that had been terrorizing nearby villages in the kingdom. Lisbeth watched from the steps of the castle while he and his men prepared their horses and checked their weapons. She rolled her eyes when the knight noticed her and flashed a smirk. He made his was over and looked her up and down.
“Good morning dear Lisbeth. Aren’t we looking downright unladylike today.”
“Good morning scum. Aren’t we looking downright annoying today.”
His nose twitched in irritation before that evil smile bloomed on his face once again.
“Ah, I see. You are just jealous that you are not allowed on this quest. Jealous that you must watch from the sidelines like the good little woman you are.” He paused to pet her head. “Don’t worry, the big, strong man will take over and keep you safe.”
Lisbeth looked around and then at him, up and down. “Hmmm nope. I don’t see any ‘big, strong man’.” She mocked him.
He went to say something rather nasty when the King called him over to speak. He scowled at her before he joined the King by the horses.
Lisbeth let out a frustrated sigh and crossed her arms over her chest.
“I can see the cogs working within that pretty head of yours. What’s the plan?” Came the voice of her best friend in the entire world, Jace Lockheart.
She turned and smiled immediately, unpleasantness forgotten. “Jace!”
He chuckled and hugged her. “Now what’s the plan?”
She shrugged her small shoulders and flashed him an innocent smile. “What ever do you mean?”
She batted her lashes at him, showing off her emerald eyes.
“You must have a plan for this! There is no way we are not going on that hunt.”
“Calm down and listen close. We’ll wait until dark. They are leaving as soon as night falls. The gates will close and lock until morning after the last horse has gone through. That means we’ll need to use our secret passage. Meet me in the wine cellar at midevening. This dragon is going down and I’ll be the one to do it. Then my father will have to be proud of me.”
Jace nodded and smiled at her again before he hefted the bag of grain at his side up over his shoulder and went back to his regular kitchen duties. It was very odd for a member of royalty to be so close with a servant. Luckily, Lisbeth could care less what anyone thought of her friendship.
“Lisbeth I would like a word with you.” Boomed the King’s voice.
She sighed heavily and rolled her eyes before complying with her father’s wishes. She stood before him and looked at the annoying knight.
“Yes father dearest?”
He scowled. “Don’t give me that tone. Now how many times have I told you to leave the help alone? Tis no place for royalty.”
“Yes Lisbeth do leave those pathetic servants alone.”
She scowled and moved closer to him, staring up at him with a glare.
“Oh shut your mouth. I really hope that dragon eats you before I take that sword of yours and shove-“
“Lisbeth! How dare you speak to a hero like that.”
The knight glared at her, blue eyes cold as ice. “Oh it’s quite alright dear King. Lisbeth is only joking, aren’t you dear?”
He took hold of her arm and squeezed until she thought he would break it, but she never made a sound. She gritted her teeth until finally the King spoke.
“Mustn’t worry yourself with the silly girl. Come, we have much to prepare and cannot have any more unnecessary disruptions.”
The knight chuckled, let go of her arm and nodded before he followed the King.