Status: Please enjoy!

The Trials and Tribulations of Being a Princess

The Knight's Decline

In the morning they set off for the dragon’s den. The princess and Jace were tied to horses and forced to walk the way there. When they arrived at the next village it was a ghost. No soul was there. They must have evacuated when they heard the dragon was headed their way. The Knight led them to the mountains nearby. The dragon had last been seen there.
The ground shook as the party neared the domain of the hungry beast. A loud roar sounded through the surrounding area and then was accompanied by fire shooting from a cave on the cliffside of the mountain. The Knight shook himself into focus and pulled his blade. He issued two men to stay with the prisoners and the rest to come with him. They entered the mountains swiftly.
Lisbeth looked down as Lynx rolled out of her travel bag. He climbed up the inside of her cloak and started to chew on the rope that bound her hands. When he was done she undid Jace’s hands and they each jumped one of the knights. After they succeeded in knocking the men out they each grabbed armor and Jace grabbed a sword. Lisbeth went to her bag and pulled out a shining sword that had belonged to her mother.
They heard screams and ran into the mountains. The bodies of the men were strewn across the ground. The only one not accounted for was the Knight. Jace signaled to Lisbeth and they quietly entered the cave. Bones of men and animal alike made a sick noise when they were stepped on and snapped by the pair. A roar sounded and shook the cave, sending the two to the ground with the force. They heard a blood curdling scream and then a sickeningly wet Thwack sound. They could only guess what had happened and it wasn’t a pretty guess at that.
Lisbeth regained her footing and helped Jace up just in time for the enormous monster to walk into the open area of the cave. It towered over them at at least 20 feet high and 50 feet long. Its tail had spikes that went up it’s back. It was a sickly black color that was contrasted by the yellow of its eyes and the blood on its muzzle. It roared again and fire shot from its mouth, barely missing the princess and her companion. Jace and Lisbeth knew what they had to do. They’d done this formation before. Jace went to the left and Lisbeth to the right. It would have to pick which one to eat first and that would be their only way of defending the other. The dragon decided on Jace. It turned its attention to him, snapping and clawing at the small figure before it. Lisbeth took this opportunity to flank the dragon. She went in low while it wasn’t looking and slashed its stomach. It snarled and lashed out at her with its tail. She was thrown back and the wind was knocked out of her.
Jace whistled and threw a rock at the ferocious beast to get its attention again. It roared and blew fire in his direction. He jumped back just in time but the fire hit and melted his sword. He let go of the hot metal as it started to burn his hand. With the dragon’s attention on him Lisbeth would be safe and that was what mattered.
After several seconds the strong princess got to her feet again. She picked up her sword and hissed as the handled began to glow. The light was blinding but soon subsided. In the wake of the light she could see that it had turned ash grey and the hilt had grown a blood red ruby. Power emanated from the weapon. She gritted her teeth and ran at the dragon’s turned back. She jumped up and brought her sword down on its neck. It roared in pain but she didn’t let up until the beast was decapitated.
She had rescued her friend and when they returned home the King finally noticed that she was as good as ten men and better. After no time at all Jace asked for her hand in marriage and they were happily married, servant or not.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you thought?