Status: let me know what you think :)

On The Edge

Chapter Seven: Under Pressure

"So, how long are you guys here for?" I say trying to make conversation with the four boys. Ultimately I blame Niall for leaving me alone with four- well three- practical strangers.

"Two weeks." Liam pipes up.

I look down at mine and Louis' intertwined hands. He had grabbed it as soon as Niall left the room. Obviously he could tell I was nervous about talking to Liam, Zayn, and Harry. Fearing that they wouldn't be as friendly and inviting as Louis.

"Great."

"Excuse me?" Harry asks

I realized I must have accidentally said it in a harsh tone.

"No, I didn't mean it like that. Uh, I'm going to see what's taking Niall so long with the popcorn. Come with me Louis." I say yanking him up with me and dragging him into the kitchen.

"Niall, honestly don't you know how to make popcorn?" I ask after walking in and seeing him just standing there.

"I was about to. What's this?" he asks referring to mine and Louis' linked hands.

I quickly pull out of his grasp

"It's nothing."

"Louis, can I talk to Madelyn alone?" Louis nods and walks out of the room.

I automatically realize that Niall is mad. How do I know? Well he only calls me Madelyn when he's either worried about me or he's mad. Since there's nothing to worry about in this situation.....

"What's do you think you're doing?" he asks.

"What do you mean?"

"Don't act dumb. You know what I mean."

"Are you talking about Louis? Look Niall, he's my friend just like you. He's the one who just kept my father from beating me. Where were you when it happened?"

"You're father abuses you?"

"All the time. But no one is ever there to stop him. And the only reason he was holding my hand is because you left me in there alone to talk to them when you know I don't know anything about them. He was comforting me. Which is something you used to do before you stopped caring."

"I do care Maddie."

I sigh and walk away, running in to Louis in the process.

'Eavesdropping' I think to myself 'again.'

He immediately notices the look on my face and he wraps his arms around me. My tears soaking his t-shirt for the second time today.

He lets go when Niall walks past us, rolling his eyes.

I have to be the worlds biggest idiot. I'm losing my best friend.

And I don't even seem to care.