Status: Active.

Living a Million Miles an Hour

Friendship Ring.

Chapter 5

Yesterday mom said that I had spent over five hours out. Today I was determined not spend more than fifteen minutes.

"You again?" Danny asked and somewhat groaned when he answered the door to find me standing there.

"Good afternoon to you too, Danny."

"What do you want?"

"I Can't find my cell. I believe -"

"Anyone seen a cell phone?" Danny called back. There were a few muffled no's "Sorry, it's not here" Danny shrugged before shutting the door in my face. I stood there like an idiot processing what just happened followed by me weighing my options. Should I knock again or just walk away.

"Renee'?" Sam opened the door "Sorry about that. Come in?" He stepped aside "So you said lost your phone?" I nodded "Alright, it should be around here somewhere."

"You're going to help me find it?" I asked. I don't know why I kept being surprised by his kindness. I guess I'm used to dealing with boys that have a 'Danny' type of attitude.

"Well yeah," Sam shrugged "I mean, that's what friends are for, right?" He cracked another smile. A cheesy grin effortlessly spread across my face. Even though I tried my best to contain it, I probably looked stupid anyhow.

"We are friends?" I questioned without the filter that was supposed to be mediating between my thoughts and actual words.

"I'd like to think so" Sam said with a slight damper from his previous mood.

Great now I possibly hurt his feelings. Real smooth.

"We should start by retracing your steps." Sam suggested

"Yeah, about that. I can't really remember last night." I admitted slightly embarrassed.

"Hm, well, we can just ask the person that you were with most of the night."

XxX


"Cameron, where exactly did we go last night?" I asked him standing in one of the sound proof rooms.

"Huh, why does this matter?" He asked looking up from his guitar.

"Renee's phone is missing and we are trying to retrace her steps." Sam explained standing behind me.

"Alright, I'll show you guys" Cameron said as he started to get up.

"No, it's your day to record remember? Just tell us" Sam said.

Aquestinly Cameron sat back down."Well, first we we were in the living room, then in kitchen, back to the living room, studio, to my room-"

"Whoa, wait, why was I in your room?" I interrupted.

"We where just talking," Cameron shrugged then continued, "And then to the backyard and you took her home, Sam."

"Thanks, Cam" Sam said before leaving.

"Did you get all that?" I asked

"Right, living room, kitchen, studio, Cam's room, backyard" Sam recited as we stepped in kitchen.

"I guess I'll start in here?" I said heading over, Sam followed "Um, I think we could find it faster if we separated."

"Alright."

I watched Sam away. I could finally take a breath. What were these strange new feelings I started experience? I had to remind myself I was still somewhat spoken for. I struggled off the weird emotion and went on the search for my phone. It wasn't in the kitchen or the living room. I was headed for the backyard when I bumped in Sam, literally. I fell to the floor, he extended a helpful hand. I don't know why but I was skeptical to take his hand.

"It's okay" Sam said, "I'm not going to bite you, Renee'." He chuckled

"Watch where you're going" I grumbled getting up without his help.

"Sorry" he apologized. Fan-fucking-tastic, I hurt his feelings again.

"Anyways, your phone isn't in the studio, Cameron's room or the backyard"

"Fuck, where else cold it be?"

"Last night, you and Cam where hanging out back here but you guys started arguing about some shit. I thought that I should go ahead a take you home."

"Oh great, just fucking great" I complained. I know it was probably pitiful that I felt like crying right then and there but I had been through a lot the last few weeks and this situation wasn’t making things any better. I started heading home.

"Renee', wait up" Sam ran after me and grab my hand. I snatched away from his grip. I turned to yell in his face, but something stopped me as I met his gaze that was filled with genuine concern. I realized he had done nothing wrong to me. He only was helping and I was being a bitch. "What's the matter?"

"I'm sorry, Sam" I bit my bottom, looking down attempting to hide my face "You probably think I'm some petty bitch about to cry over her missing phone."

"It don't think that." He said softly "Not at all."

"You don't?" I looked up. Sam was still smiling. He shook his head "I'm sorry for being rude to you. I've I had a rough few weeks" I said not sure if could tell him about my troubles just yet.

"I can completely understand" he said without prying.

"Thanks"

"No problem. Now lets keep looking for your phone."

"But we've searched everywhere"

"I believe there’s one more place we should check"
XxX


"My grandmother's maze garden?" I asked standing in front of it overgrown entrance.

"Yeah, right before you passed out you were hellbent on showing me this place" Sam said before walking inside "Now that I think about it we where using our cell phones as lights."

I followed him, tripping on a garden gnome. I fell on him. "Whoa, watch where you're going Renee'!" Sam joked copying my words. I totally deserved that "Besides," Sam said brushing himself off "You have to buy me dinner first" he turned and went deeper into the maze. I sat there for a moment on the rocks thinking about what really just happened. I fell on top of Sam. I looked down because I felt my face turn red.

he must think I'm such a clutz"

"Hey, I think I found something" I heard him. I got up.

"What is it?"

"I think it's your case,” he said. When I found him he was holding the green and black zebra stripe hardshell case I used. And it was broken. That wasn't a good sign "It's alright. It doesn't mean your phone is broken" I nodded he was right. We kept looking. And looking. And looking until...

"Hey I think I found it!" I rejoiced. I found it sure enough hide between two brushes.

"You did!?"

It was dirty, that was a given but it was still all in tact. "Let me see it?" Handed it over. Which was a mistake. Sam threw it deep into the grass that looked like it hadn’t been mowed since the pool has been cleaned.

"Oh my god, Sam!" I screamed. For some reason Sam could not stop laughing, "That wasn’t funny!" I tried scolding but laughter crept in to my voice. Sam's laugh was contagious. It was strange I wasn’t even angry that Sam threw my phone into the tall grass. I'd knew find it eventually.

“We’ve found it once, we can find it again” he spook in his care free voice skipping around me.

“What if it is broken?” I stated crossing my arms
“You threw pretty far and hard.”

“I’ll gladly purchase you a new one.”

It was then I secretly wished it actually was broken or atleast cracked. It didn’t take long to find my phone a second time but I enjoyed the extra time spent with Sam. The entire time he was cracking jokes. I really enjoyed his company.

“Hey, look what I found!” Sam exclaimed picking something shiny out of the grass. “It’s a ring” he further stated examining it.

“Well, let me see it.” I reached for it. Sam lifted his hand above his head away from my reach

“Finder’s keepers” he stuck his tongue out at me. I scoffed, as he looked at it closer

“Renee’,” he begun as he kneeled down on one knee. “I’ve know you for only two days but I feel a connection with you” he extended his hand with the ring “Will marry me?”

It took my breath away honestly. I knew he was joking but still he action was mesmerizing.

“I am sorry, Samuel. But I am spoken for.”

“Really?” his hands fell as he frowned and furrowed his brow.

I nodded “Somewhat, yeah”

“Well, Renee,” he said lifting up the ring again still on his knee “Will you be my friend?”

“Why yes, I’d love too!”

“With this ring, I announce us friends.” He proclaimed slipping the ring on my index finger.

We sat in the tall grass after the rediscovery of my unbroken cell phone and newly found friendship ring.

“So, what’s up with you?”

“What do you mean?” I asked even though I knew what he meant.

“You seem,” Sam sighed searching for the right words. He plucked a dandelion and twirled it through his surprisingly long fingers “Not as ease?” He blew the seeds of the dandelon in the breeze.

“Yeah these few weeks haven’t exactly been the best of my life” I tried explaining running my fingers through my hair. Sam stared at me with a warm blank expression as if he were waiting for me to continue. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to. Atleast not just yet. I knew I could probably trust him, but my story seemed to long, my emotional wounds to fresh to expose to someone I'd just met.

"Shouldn't you get that?" I said as Sam's phone started ringing.

"I dont have too" He shrugged.

"I think you should. It could be important" I told him.

"It's Danny" Sam warned, I have him an encouraging nod. He answered "Ello?" Pause. "Over at Renee's" he said looking over to me smiling "But I did just some recording yesterday." he complained over the phone "Alright, fine" he hung up.

"I'm guessing Danny is in need for your assistance?"

"Yeah," he sighed getting up. Sam extanded another friendly hand, this time I accepted his help.

"Thank you"

"No problem." Sam said before giving me a hug. I have to admit; I was surprised. I felt my stomach turn in delight as I wrapped my arms around his torso. "Don't be a stranger," he said pulling away "See ya around" he saulted me before walking away. I waved, my friendship ring glistening in the sunlight. W
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if this chapter is kinda suckish. The next chapter should be better.

Thank you
ambird96
Ultimate_Dreamer
& kristanaamo
For commenting, it means a lot to me (^_^)

<3Modern.Sunshine