Status: Active.

Living a Million Miles an Hour

Bubble and Squeak.

"So, which beach are we going too?" I ask buckling up as we drove down the rural road. Thorton was in the back with his head sticking out of the window. 

"Its called central. I've already put it in to the GPS" Cameron explained turning the device on.

"Central Beach, located in Michigan City. 97 miles. Timing 2 hours and 45 minutes" The GPS recited in a mechanical voice 

Wait a minute. "Whoa, 3 hours, Cameron?" 

"Yeah, I thought a mini road trip would be fun for us." 

"But  3 hours?" I repeated. I started believing that this little trip was just an elaborate ploy to kidnap me.

"I thought you said you had nothing else better to do?" 

He did have a point. 

"Besides, the time will fly by faster than you'd expect." 

"Oh really?" I rolled my eyes 

Cameron nods "Trust me. I know all to well about traveling. Touring is about the same." 

I keep forgetting the fact that they're in a band "What's tour like?" I ask when his statement piqued my interest

Just like Cameron had warned, time did seem to go by. He told me about his tour stories and experiences it was interesting. 

"Damn," I curse feeling the vibrations in my shorts pocket once more. I had been purposely ignoring.

"What's wrong, love?" Cameron asked 

"Its my mom," I say lifting up a finger to excuse myself from our conversation as I dug out my cell. Cameron nods and continues to drive silently and turns down the radio.

"Hello?" 

"Alpha Renee' Joice!" I had to take the cell from my ear a few inches because of her scream "Just where the hell are you and why haven't you answer my calls!?" 

"Hey, mom" I say lamely 

"Explain yourself!" 

"My friend invited me out so I'm with  him and I have Thorton." 

"Don't you think you should've told me first!?" She exclaimed. 

"Yeah sorry. It just sorta happened" I lie. I purposely didn't tell my mom because of the plethora of questions it would warrant as I was getting now. Who are you with, where you're going and for long. Do have your charger? What about your mace? Etc...after I managed to answer most of my mother's questions mostly with half ass answers and partial truths I hung up. 

"Ugh, my mom is so annoying!" I growl crossing my arms and sinking into my seat. 

"Parental issues?" Cameron questions 

"You have no idea." I muttered. My mother  had soured my mood completely just when I had started to feel happiness for the first time since I had moved to the shithole I currently resided in. 

"Do you want to talk about it." Cameron asked. Shook my head and rested my forehead on the window. "It's going to be okay.” he told me. I felt his hand on my knee. His thumb moved back and forward in a soothing manner. Strangely, the notion helped to bring down my anger. 

"Yeah, I guess it will." I look over to the driver. He smiled, darting his gaze from the road to ahead me.

"I know it will." Cameron confirms 

The GPS, commands to turn off the interstate and we drive off into a city. 

"Where are we?" I ask. Cameron removes his hand from my knee to the GPS and taps it a few times.

"We are in... Chicago?" 

"How did we get in Illinois?" 

"The last hour. No surprise there. We live right next to the state line." 

"Well, can we stop somewhere. I have to pee." 

Cameron drives down the beautiful hectic streets of Chicago. It almost reminds me of the lower east side back home in New York. The closely placed buildings, the graffiti that gave the city its urban feel. He parked into an empty space and pulled out his wallet. 

"Pay the meter for me?" He asked handing me some quarters. I pay the parking meter and head straight for the closest business which was a small cafe. It smelled like coffee, the good kind. Not the over sweetened icies that Starbucks sold but rich, warm smelling coffee. The kind that sort of gave you a hug inside when you drink. It, in sense, reminded me of my dad. He'd drink that kind of coffee black. I indulged in the smell, but never actually drank any. 

I finished my business inside and quickly made way to go back outside. I saw Cameron through the glass windows of the cafe. He had Thorton on his leash drinking water out of Styrofoam bowl.  I as step outside, something catches my eye. The store next to the cafe was one that sold clothes. They had the Sumner line on display with manikins. Above the store read a sign that read 'Rave'.The swimwear and shorts captivated me for a split second but I quickly looked away like I had trained myself. 

"Just thought I should let your dog stretch his legs. We do have about another half hour drive." 

"Oh okay"  I shrug

"Something wrong, Renee'?" Cameron asked. I shake my head attempting to pull a part of my bangs behind my ear but it just falls back in place. "Positive?" 

"Yeah, I'm okay" I say, taking one more quick glance at the store. Cameron caught on to my gaze. I prayed he didn't realize what was going on.

"Renee', you didn't pack a swimsuit did you?" Cameron question looking at the shops display. 

"I didn't pack anything." 

"Well, we'll just have to fix that. Won't we?" He says striding towards the store. 

"No," I grab his shoulder "lets just go. We are almost there." 

"What's the point of going to the beach without the proper attire?" 

Cameron wouldn't take no for answer. We stepped into the shop. Thorton  wouldn't go past the door. He laid down next to the entrance, exhausted. 

The shorts caught my eye again. It pained me to look at 

"Go ahead and pick out whatever you'd like" Cameron encouraged.

I bit my lip. I decided just pick a swimsuit and be done with the whole ordeal. I walked over to the array of different bikinis and other swimwear. There was plain green and baby blue bikini that my gaze attracted. I picked it up and looked at the price tag, and nearly had a heart attack as I threw it down. "Didn't like that one?" Cameron questions looking over my shoulder, resting a hand on my waist.

"It uh, wasn't my size" I lied. 

"What size?" 

"Small bottom, medium top." 

"This is cute, oh and it's the perfect size." Cameron picked up one that was peachy colored with a boy shorts bottom. It was really adorable but more expensive than the last. 

"Its 30 bucks Cameron!" I whispered, it just slipped out. I hated shopping. I was just so used to picking up items that longed for but just couldn't afford. Even before the divorce of my parents, we always had hard times when it came to finances. 

"Okay," he said slowly "but do you like it?" 

"Not at that price"  I shake my head and continue looking 

"Don't worry about it. I'm paying" he smiles and I start to feel guilty but I nod. "Now, I saw you eyeing those sexy shorts over there" 

"Cameron, I-" I start to protest but he had already whisked away to the display of summer shorts in every color. "Why are you doing this?" 

"Doing what?" He says flipping through the various short types. He pulls out a pair of lime green size 6 shorts with worn detailing. "This should fit" he mutters holding the denim against my hips "Would you like to try these on?" 

"Please stop" plead grabbing Cameron's wrist. 

"What's wrong Renee'?" Cameron asked dropping the article of clothing away from me genuinely confused. I wished I could tell him the real reason but I just couldn't bring myself to form the words in to a sentance.

"I can't accept you buying me all these things" I simply say 

"Just think of these as a gift. Whens your birthday?"

"My birthday was like three months ago." 

"Happy late birthday!" 

"Cameron," I say his name in a warning tone.

"Renee'!" He whines, I sigh. Arguing with the man was worst than arguing with my little brother. "At least try them on!" He waved the clothes in front of me. "Please for me?"

"Fine," I say snatching them from him and marching towards the dressing rooms. 

I couldn't deny the fact. Cameron had good taste. He'd pretty much picked out the entire outfit. Once I had them on it was hard parting with it. He was so nice to offer to buy me the items but it was just so hard accepting it. I had already sacrificed so much, it was almost unreal to get something back.

"Wow," Cameron gasped as I cautiously step out the dressing room. He scratched his cheek and stuffed his hands in his pockets "It looks amazing on you, Renee'."

"It does?" I twirled 

"So, do you want it?" He asks

Bite my lip, I was very hesitant but I nod.

XxX

“You picked the perfect day for this.” I tell Cameron gliding my kite through the windy sky.

“Yeah, I checked the weather and I got this idea. I thought you might enjoy this.” He said standing next to me. Cameron had already managed to crash his kite in to the ocean within minutes of him getting his into the air.

We’d decided not to get into the water since it started getting chilly outside. It was late afternoon, and Cameron and I had spent most of the day just trying to get here.

“Hungry?”

It was then I noticed I haven't ate anything since breakfast.

“Yeah I am. What did you pack in that basket?” I asked tying my kite string to a wooden post. I sit on blanket Cameron had placed on the sand.

“I made bubble and squeak” he said digging through the picnic basket

“Bubble and what?” I question

“Bubble and squeak. You never had it?” Cameron asks surprised as if people would eat something sounding so ridiculous everyday. I shake my head “Well, I suppose since you are American...”

“You say American like it’s a bad thing!” I say taking slight offense

“No, no! I didn't mean it that way. I meant is as in, this is a common British food.” He quickly corrects himself “Try it, it’s good.” He said preparing the food and handing it to me on Styrofoam plate. I look at the food. They just looked like brown fried balls.

“What is in this?” I asked apprehensively picking up one of the fried balls
“Just try it, trust me. You’ll enjoy it.”
Although, I wasn't sure if I could exactly trust him I tried his food. It wasn't bad, it tasted meaty and vegetable like
“You like?” Cameron asked with hope

I nod, “It actually not bad at all”
“Actually? You expected my cooking to be terrible”

“You cook these?”

“Of course!”

I felt something wet land on my face. I wipe it and look up to the sky that was rapidly turning grey

“Hey, Cam, I think it going to rain.” I say right before it started pouring.

“Shoot.” Cameron groaned stuffing all the belongings in the duffel bag quickly as possible. I start untying the kite from the post. I hadn't realized I’d knotted it so. “C'mon leave it” Cameron said with everything packed and Thorton. I didn't want to leave it, but I knew it was for the best. “Hurry!”

It begun raining heavier and heavier, thunder boomed through the sky

“AH!” I yelped jumping in to the car.

"I suppose we should wait for the weather to clear up before heading back?" Cameron asked me putting the keys in ignition. I knew it was the better idea but was already so late and it would be 3 more hours back home. Plus, I was already was getting pretty tired.
More thunder strikes, it scares me in to my answer.

"Yes!"
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter was kinda boring so just as a spoiler alert to keep you interested. They're going to end up checking in to a hotel in to the next chapter.

Don't forget to Comment!

<3Modern.Sunshine