Status: Working On

The Perfect Mistake

Chapter 1

The Perfect Mistake - KH
“When you cut...the pain goes away. You sometimes wish there was another way.”

A cold breeze coming from the shaded window blew a few torn pieces of paper around the dark room. The only light came from the moonlight that creeped through the small slits in the blinds. A boy sat quietly on his bed looking down at the cold sharp metal in his hand. He liked the way it would glisten when he held it in the moonlight. Though his house was silent, with his family being already pulled into their own dreamland, there was the faint sound of cars as they'd slowly pass his house.

A sigh escaped the boys lips as he closed his eyes and leaned his head against the cream shaded wall. He slowly positioned the piece of metal to his scarred wrists. He opened his clouded eyes as he began to press the metal across his skin. A dark red liquid started to escape the self afflicted wound, slowly making its way down the pale skin and dripping on the bed sheets. The boy watched as his arm began to be stricken with an intriguing pattern of red. As the boy did the same to his other scarred wrist he began to feel light headed. He knew he was losing a large quantity of blood but didn't seem to care anymore as his vision began to blur. He rested his head against the wall once more before his vision darkened into a vast nothingness.

There was a loud scream that soon filled the quiet house. The once dark room was soon filled with light. A mid-aged woman let out a small shriek after seeing one of her sons sitting in a pool of his own blood. Her other son was trying to stop the bleeding and wake the other boy, while tears streamed down his face.

“Get towels and apply pressure to his wrists,” the woman commanded as she quickly walked out of the room.

The boy did what he was told as his mother retrieved the phone. She quickly pressed the buttons on the phone and pressed it to her ear.

“This is 911 what is your emergency?”

“It's my son. He slit his wrists. I think he tried to kill himself,” she choked out, unable to quite believe what she was saying.

“Remain calm ma'am, can you give me a name and address?”

“Rikku Leonhart, 7831 North Clayton Street.”

“Alright an ambulance will be there soon. Please stay on the line until they arrive.”

“Thank you,” Rikku said pulling the phone away from her ear.

The next few moments were the longest in her entire life. Rikku grew extremely worried about her son. She had no idea why he would do something this drastic. She knew he had been feeling down but hadn't know it was so bad that he'd want to kill himself. The blonde woman was going to have a serious talk with him when he got better. She let out a silent breath as she heard a siren outside.

“They're here,” Rikku muttered into the phone.

“Okay, thanks for staying calm,” The operator said before hanging up.

Rikku raced down the stairs and to the front door; quickly opening it for the paramedics, who made hurriedly made their way into the house and up the stairs following Rikku.

“He's in here,” She said as she walked through her son's room. Her other son was still sitting next to his brother applying pressure to his wrists.

“Honey let these nice men take care of your brother.”

The boy nodded and walked away from his previous spot next to his brother. He stood there with tears streaming down his face. Rikku walked over to him as the paramedics began to take the other boy out of the room. She wrapped her son in a quick embrace that felt like it lasted a lot longer than it did.

“Call Cloud. Then meet me at the hospital, okay?”

He nodded as one of his brown spikes fell in front of his face. Rikku gave him a small smile before following the paramedics out the door.

The boy took a deep breath before he walked to his nightstand and grabbed his phone. He quickly found his older brother's name and listened to it ring. He wasn't sure how well he was going to be able to speak at that moment. He would at least try and calm himself down enough for Cloud to understand what he was saying.

“Hello?” The voice said as the ringing on the other end stopped.

“C-cloud?”

“Sora what's wrong?” Cloud's voice was laced with concern as he spoke.

“Y-you need to get home...”

“Why? What's going on?”

“It's Roxas...he...he's...in the hospital. Moms with him. Please just get here.”

“I'm on my way,” Cloud said before hanging up.

Sora sat there on his own bed waiting for Cloud to get there. Tears were still streaming down his cheeks and his breathing was shaky. He kept his gaze on the floor, not able to look at anything in fear that his gaze would wonder over to the bloody bed sheets across the room. When he heard the door open not long after he called, even though it felt like ages, his head snapped toward the door and he quickly ran out of the room and downstairs to meet his brother. He snaked his arms around the taller boy and began to sob, unable to contain it any longer.

Cloud was taken off guard but quickly wrapped his arms around his younger brother, knowing how upset the boy was. He was upset as well but it was a rare occasion when he let others know that he was upset about anything. The other way someone could tell is if they knew him well enough and saw that certain look in his eyes.
It took some time to actually calm the brunette down enough to explain what happened, or at least what Sora knew. After the situation was explained Cloud didn't take much time to tell Sora to change and put shoes on. Once Sora was dressed and walked back down the stairs, the quickly made their way to Cloud's motorcycle and headed toward the hospital. The ride there was quite short even with the traffic as it was, but Cloud wasn't exactly taking all traffic laws into account.

Upon arriving and parking they walked inside as quickly as their feet could take them without actually running. As they walked up to the front desk Cloud looked straight at the young woman sitting behind it while Sora looked down at his feet.

“Excuse me miss, my brother was taken here around an hour ago. I need to know where he is,” Cloud asked. She smiled at him and giggled slightly. Cloud had that effect on many people, a lot of which were women. It was one of the many things the blonde and his best friend had in common.

“Name please.”

“Roxas Leonhart.”

“Yes, here it is. Oh that poor boy. He's in room 395 on the third floor. Your mother is in there with him now.”

“How is he?” Sora asked finally looking up at the woman, nearly making the woman coo.

“He's stable but just barely. The doctors won't be able to find out much until he wakes up.”

“Okay thank you,” Cloud said before walking towards the elevator that would bring him to his brother's room.

Sora followed after his brother, trying to keep up with him as he hurried toward Roxas's room. When they reached the elevator it grew extremely quiet. Cloud let out a small sigh before entering an empty elevator, Sora following right behind. To Cloud it was one of the longest elevator rides he had ever been on, though in reality it was only a few seconds. As soon as the doors opened back up they were walking down the long bright hallways of the hospital.

“Cloud?” Sora asked when they stopped.

“Sora will you wait here for a second?”

“Yeah, but why?

“I don't know what will be behind this door and I'm sure mom's a wreck and I don't think I could handle if both of you were like that,” he answered before he opened the door and left Sora in the hallway.

“How is he?” Cloud asked quietly after he closed the door behind him.

“Oh Cloud!” Rikku quickly wrapped his arms around her eldest son. “He's been unconscious since we found him. What could make him do this?”

Cloud could hear the sorrow in his mother's voice as she clung to him. “I don't know, but once he wakes up I'll talk to him. I know he won't say anything to you or dad. It's just the way he is.”

Rikku nodded in agreement as she stood there just holding onto her son. She finally let the tears she had been holding back fall. Cloud soothed her as she silently cried in his arms. If she cried he knew that Sora would've been a complete wreck, mostly with them being so close. All his thoughts were interrupted when there was a knock on the door.

“Dad's here,” Sora's voice came from the other side of the door.

“I'll go to the waiting room with Sora. Tell me if he wakes up,” Cloud said before making his way to the door.

“Cloud,” Rikku halted him. “I'm sorry you had to leave your part for this.”

“No need to apologize, they'll understand. Besides family comes first.”

Cloud turned back towards the door and walked out into the hallway, making sure to shut the door behind him. He looked at Sora who was speaking to their dad, probably about what happened. It was strange to see his usually happy brother like this. Cloud knew he could have possibly stopped this incident from even happening. He had seen Roxas go from the less crazy form of Sora to the darker side of himself. Cloud didn't know it was this bad, not even close.

“Sora, we're going to the waiting room,” Cloud said once they looked in his direction.

“How's your mother?”

“Better than I expected, at least on the outside.”

“What about Roxas?” Sora asked, worry evident in his voice.

“Not so great, though I'm sure he'll be fine. He's a strong kid, he'll pull through,” Cloud said as their dad walked into Roxas's room.

Cloud began walking down the hallway with Sora following shortly behind. Once they reached the small waiting room they took a seat next to the soda machine. Cloud pulled out his wallet before he stood in front of the machine.

“Do you want anything?”

“Orange please, oh and can I have some candy too?”

“Just come pick out your candy then,” Cloud told him, unsure what exactly to get.

Sora stood up and scanned the contents of the machine slowly. He began pointing out the things he wanted before Cloud stopped him and just handed him money. The blonde sat down and took a drink of his soda while the younger boy stood at the snack machine pushing buttons. When he was finally done he sat down with a handful of snacks and his drink.

Sora handed Cloud the change and began eating his candy. In about an hour there was a pile of empty wrappers and cans next to the brunette. Cloud grew worried as Sora continued to eat the junk food. There was no way that it was healthy to be consuming all of that, even for Sora. It took three trips to throw it all away and the younger boy was still munching on a chocolate bar.

“Sora,” Cloud began.

“Huh?” The brunette mumbled with the candy still between his lips.

“You know you could talk to me right? Eating your feelings isn't exactly healthy.”

“I'm not eating my feelings.”

“Bull, Sora I know you better thank you think. You're eating even more junk food than you usually do and you usually only do that when you're upset.”

Sora sat in silence as his eyes started to water. Before Cloud knew it the younger boy was crying. He pulled the sobbing boy to him and tried to calm him down for the second time that night.

“It will be okay Sora. He'll be fine.”

“What if he won't be? What if he...”

“Don't even think like that,” Cloud whispered to him. “Roxas will wake up and he will eventually come out of this and become the same Roxas we know and love.”

“I hope so. I miss the old Roxas,” Sora mumbled before he slowly fell asleep on Cloud's lap.

Cloud sighed and looked around the room. The people looked almost as miserable as his family. The calm sound of his brother's breathing and soft murmurs of those in the room were enough to settle his mind for the time being. Until he became drowsy he sent a few texts to his best friend letting him in on the situation, seeing as the raven haired man was nearly family with how he grew up around them. Soon enough his eyes grew heavy and he fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
This has been sitting in the back of my folder of unfinished stories for a while now so I finally pulled it out and thought that I could make something of it again.

I have at least another chapter written so it just needs re-edited and typed out so it shouldn't take too long to get at least the next chapter up and going.

At the moment it would start out rated T but that doesn't mean that it will stay that way. If my thoughts on what will happen goes the way I planned it I will change it at some point to M, but we'll see when that happens and I will warn you so those of you who don't want to read that can just skip over it. Also with my writing I try and create it so that even if you don't read that scene you wouldn't miss much of anything with the actually story.

Anyway, hope you enjoy. Reviews are very much appreciated and will get my butt working on it a lot faster. =D

Disclaimer: I do not own Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, or any of its characters.