Come in With the Rain

Give Me a Do Over

“A bouquet of flowers?”

“No.”

“Fancy card?”

“You could do better.

“Sappy love song?”

“Can you even sing?”

Dean runs his hands through his short hair furiously. He's just not that romantic. There is not a single romantic bone in his body.

“What did you do when you asked Cassie to the eighth grade graduation dance again?” Sam asked.

Dean thinks back. Cassie really liked his car since her dad owned a car shop. He drove in to their shop pretending his baby needed a check up. Her father was in on it, so he had Cassie check under the hood. There by the spark plugs was a white rolled up paper. She pulled it out and read the note. Next thing you know it, they were going to the graduation dance together.

It seems that his romantic side dissolved after Cassie. And just when he can finally have something again he can't seem to work up the nerve to make it nice for Mabel.

Dean groans and rests his head on the table, “This is hard.”

Sam chuckles, “It wouldn't be if you were a bit more creative. Why don't you ask your friends for some ideas?”

Dean rolls his head to the side as Sam gets up to go check on the paper work for his recent case. Dean pulls out his cellphone ready to call someone for ideas. Chuck seems like a legit source. He's always writing something so maybe he'd come up with something creative for him. The guy's practically Dean's best friend so he'll know what Dean likes. Hopefully he won't screw with him and give him some lame chick flick like date.

“Hello?”

“Do you have anything romantic in you?”

“Dean?” Chuck questions. Dean can hear someone shouting in the back. He heard Chuck shout out Garth's name before proceeding. “What do you mean?”

Dean rubs a hand over his face, “I'm having trouble coming up with a do over ask. Any ideas?”

There was a small silence before Chuck started up again, “Knowing you, you don't want to do something to loud and extravagant.” Dean nods even though Chuck can't see him. “There's a Pumpkin fair on the outside of town that has a hay ride. You can take her there and pop the question. Plain and simple.”

Dean liked the simple plan. He could take Mabel out there. They could pick out a pumpkin. Get some kettle corn and candy apples. Play a few games and go on a few rides. Almost like a date. He'd think it was a date, Mabel will most likely think of it as an outing amongst friends.

“Then after that take her to a drive in movie fool!” He heard Garth shout close enough to the phone to be audible.

“Thanks guys,” Dean says into the receiver. Chuck hangs up. What are bro's for?

Dean tells Sam about his plans, gave his okay then handed him money for the tickets. He's going to have to ask Mabel before he forgets.

He goes to his room to get ready for bed. He saw the blinking light on his phone showing that he got a text.

Good Night, Dean. -Mabel

He smiles finding the text ridiculous. Even though she may be asleep he texts a reply.

Night Mabel.

He has the money. A car. All he has to do now is go over and ask the girl he likes if she wants to go to the fair with him so he can ask her to the dance properly. Even if he messes this up he had already asked her so they were already going together.

Next morning Dean managed to catch Mabel coming in from the elevators with Castiel. They both had bags of groceries in their arms.

“Oh, hello Dean,” Castiel greeted.

Dean greets back, “Hey guys.” He looks over to Mabel. “Uh, Mabel I was wondering if you'd like to go to the October Fair with me Friday?”

Mabel looked surprised at first then looked at Castiel curious. When he nods, she turns to Dean looking excited, “I'd love to!”

Dean almost breathed a sigh of relief hearing her answer. He tells her when they'd leave then says his goodbyes to the two. That's out of the way he can relax until Friday.

“Not bad Winchester,” Tessa huffs. “It's a good do over.”

“I still think this is stupid,” He groans. “I already asked her. Isn't that fine?”

“No,” She replies. “This is the girl you like! Everything has to be perfect!”

“You've been hanging around Becky too much.”

Tessa only rolled her eyes, “If I didn't you wouldn't be here right now.”

“Yeah, I wouldn't,” He states. She pushes him playfully.

Mabel reads from the book Kevin had brought her. He was trying to improve her reading while he checked on her recent quiz.

“Can I ask you something?” Mabel says out of nowhere.

Kevin looks at her, “What is it?”

“Is it a 'date' when a boy asks you to go with them somewhere?” She asks looking at him.

Kevin gave her an incredulous and confused look. She seriously didn't know whether she was being asked out or not?

“Uh, it depends I guess,” He replies. She looks at him confused by his answer. “Like if it sounded like he just wanted to hang out- did he say anything to make it sound like he wanted to hangout with you?” When Mabel shakes her head, he goes on, “Then it is a date.”

Mabel tried not to get flustered about the idea. But it was obviously prominent when Kevin started laughing about the pink rising on her cheeks. Just the thought of her and Dean together on the weekend in a romantic like setting only made her more nervous for tomorrow to come.

“So you're taking her to the dance then.”

Dean looks behind him and sees an annoyed Lisa. Seriously would she just go away. They weren't dating. He's done with her and he was pretty damn sure she's done with him. At least he thinks she is.

“Mabel,” Dean declares. “Yeah. I'm taking Mabel to the dance.”

Lisa scowls, “I never thought you were the dance type.”

“Well there's obviously a lot of stuff you don't know about me,” He huffs looking through papers in his locker.

“I also thought you would have taken me,” She adds.

“Why would I take you?” He asks. “We were never dating.”

“You liked me didn't you,” She presses.

Dean uses his hands to shape her figure, “I liked you.” The gesture made Lisa glare and storm away. He watched the girl walk down the hall and saw Chuck walking towards him.

“Was that Lisa?” Chuck asks walking up to him. Dean nods. “What she want?”

“I don't know man,” Dean huffs in a breath. “Just giving me more shit about breaking things off with her for Mabel.”

“Snobby bitch,” Chuck insults with a click of his tongue. “Anyway, dude, you coming with the rest of us to get costumes?”

“Sure,” Dean replies. “Let me just drop Mabel off at home first.”

“Oh okay,” Chuck says. “I'll ride with you guys.”

Mabel was waiting out by the impala reading the book Kevin gave her. She was actually very happy reading the book. Mainly because she was reading. She's gotten so used to reading that is was like she already knew how to read.

She put a colorful sliver of paper in the spot she was reading and looked up. She saw Dean walking over to her and the car with Chuck. She turned and waved to them.

“Hi Mabel,” Chuck greeted.

“Hello Chuck,” She smiled. She took a step back. “Would you like to sit in the front?”

Chuck smirked, “Sure.” Mabel moved to the back seat door and opened it. Chuck and Dean slide into the front.

Dean turns to look at Mabel, “I'm just gonna drop you off first. I'm going with Chuck and everyone to go costume shopping.”

Mabel nods, “Okay.”

Dean smiles and turns to the front. He starts the car and leaves the school parking lot.

“What are you planning to be for Halloween Chuck?” Mabel asks leaning forward to look at him.

“Don't know,” He shrugs. “I'll see when I get to the store.” He angles his head to look at her. “What are you going as?”

“A saloon girl,” She replies.

Dean stops his car just outside the apartment building and turns to Mabel, “A what?”

“Saloon girl,” She replies. “My uncle Gabriel said it would match your cowboy.”

Chuck snickers, “So you two are going as matching costumes?”

Dean looks at his friend, “Shut up. And what if we are?”

“People will talk.”

“Well screw them.”

Dean honestly couldn't give a damn what anybody thought when he shows up with Mabel. Even if his reputation exceeds him, all he cares about is Mabel.

“Bye Dean. Bye Chuck,”' Mabel says climbing out of the impala. She waves when she sees the two wave and drive off. She turns to walk into the lobby and sees Jo carrying a box of food. “Hello Jo.”

Jo flips some hair over her shoulder, “Oh hi there kiddo.” She adjusts the box in her arms. “You wanna come in for a bite?”

Mabel nods, “I'd like that.”

Mabel follows the older woman to the restaurant. Ellen and Ash greet the familiar face as she sits down at her usual spot by the window.

“Where's Dean?” Ellen asks coming up to place a coaster on the table.

“He's going costume shopping with his friends,” Mabel replies.

“And you're not going?”

“My auntie Ana is gonna make my costume,” She states.

Ellen smirks, “What's she gonna make ya into?”

“A saloon girl,” Mabel states.

“Why?”

“Dean's going as a cowboy.”

Ellen nods, “Makes sense. I bet you two will look really cute.”

Mabel smiled as Ellen left to get her something to eat.

Dean and Chuck walked into the costume shop and immediately saw everyone there.

“Took you two long enough,” Tessa stated putting a plastic crown back on a shelf full of crowns.

“I had to drop Mabel off first,” Dean said picking up a brown bowler hat.

“Aw she's not going costume shopping with us?” Becky asks with a small frown.

Dean puts the pretend hat on his head, “No. Her aunt's gonna make her costume.” His friends nod in understanding.

They go around the whole store looking for the right costume for the dance. Playing around with the props

“Hey Dean, here's a cute costume for you,” Becky squeals. She pulls a colorful cowboy costume from the rack and spun around to show him.

Dean pulls a face, “Uh, no thanks Becky.”

“Come on,” She whines. “It's your size.”

“Dude, guys aren't supposed to be dressed cute for Halloween,” He explains picking up an almost realistic viking ax and swings it. “We're supposed to dress awesome.”

Victor rolls his eyes, “Right. And by awesome you mean matching costumes?”

“Shut up Victor,” Dean barks.

“Ooh, sensitive,” Garth mocks.

Mabel sat in the living room, her legs folded onto the couch with her literature book sitting on her lap. She was working on her English homework. Tomorrow was her date like thing with Dean and she wasn't getting nervous. Nope. Not getting nervous.

Mabel chewed the end part of her pen. Okay, she was nervous. Dean is the boy she likes. The first boy she's ever liked. And this was their first date like thing they do together. She's not even sure if she knows what to do with herself when she's on the date. Does she cross her legs or does she sit perfectly still? Will he sit next to her or does she have to sit across from him? God, this is so complex.

“See you guys later,” Dean calls heading to the entrance.

“What? You're leaving?” Andy asks.

Dean turns, “Yeah. I've got that do over date with Mabel tomorrow.”

“Date?” Tessa muses. “Getting intimate are we now Winchester?”

Dean rolls his eyes, “Bye.”

Mabel sat upside down on the couch while the TV played some random history channel she decided to leave on.

“Mabel,” Castiel called opening the door. Mabel flailed her arms and legs to try and get up right. She saw a deep red bag on his arm.

“What's that?”

Castiel looked at his arm as he put his trench coat down on the counter, “Um, Ana dropped this off at my office saying it was for you.” Mabel ambled off the couch and went over to her dad. “It might be your costume.”

Mabel takes the bag from him and looks inside, “It's not.” She opens it to let Castiel look inside.

“More clothes?”

Dean twitches awake and looks at the time on his alarm clock. Oh shit! He's going to be late! One little nap after school and he's gonna miss his date with Mabel. He jumps out of his bed and runs to his closet. Fuck, now wasn't the time to worry about what he should wear.

He just threw on his nicest looking over shirt over a faded dark gray t-shirt, his favorite pair of jeans the ones with the holes at the knees and a pair of dark brown boots. He checked to make sure he had his wallet and cellphone with him. He throws on his dad's jacket and opens the door.

Quickly, he ran out of his room to the bathroom to spray a little of body spray to hide his stink from practice. He brushes his teeth really quickly, spits, rinses then runs out towards the front door.

“See ya later Sam!” He shouts running past the living room.

“Hey! Hey! Wait!” Sam shouts looking up to his brother. “Where are you going?”

“Dude, my date with Mabel,” Dean says almost out of breath.

Sam nods and resists the urge to tease his brother, “Alright. Say hi for me.”

Dean rolls his eyes and goes out the door. He knocks on his neighbor's door. He waited nervously for someone to answer the door.

He hasn't been a real date in a long time, not since Cassie. He could honest to god mess this up. Mabel could see what he's really like when it comes to girls.

Finally, Castiel opened the door, “Hello, Dean.”

“Hi Cas. Uh, is Mabel ready?” Dean asks with a small smile.

Castiel stepped aside and let the kid inside, “She's finishing getting ready.” He moved to the living room. Dean followed and sat on the lounge chair to wait. “It's nice that you are taking Mabel to the dance.”

“Huh?” Dean asks looking at the older gentleman. “Oh, uh, yeah. Yeah.”

Castiel smiled kindly, “Better you than someone I don't know.”

Now, Dean was relieved that he asked Mabel and she said yes to him. Castiel would have been worried sick about her if she went with Adam or someone else.

A door opened and closed and Mabel came walking out of the hallway leading to her room. She was wearing a dark tan marlie long knitted cardigan, orange round neck long sleeve elasic trims blouse, wine red low waist buttons embellished shorts, black knitted leggings, and vintage 90's leather and tweed pageboy lace up ankle boots. She had a brown ow head band in her hair as well. A tan satchel went over her shoulder.

“Hello Dean,” Mabel greeted. She walked over to the living room to meet her friend.

Dean suddenly felt completely underdressed. He just threw on what ever he had in his closet that didn't smell like dirt while Mabel planned her outfit.

“Uh, hi,” He mumbled standing up. “Um, you...you ready to go?” Mabel smiled and nodded. “Uh, see ya, Cas.”

“Okay,” Castiel said standing up. Mabel goes over to him, hugs him and plants a peck on his cheek. “Be careful okay.” She nods to him.

Castiel gives her 50 bucks for the fair and lets them leave.

“Thank you so much for taking me to this fair Dean,” Mabel says politely.

Dean smirks, “No problem Mabel.”

They get into the impala ignoring the fact they were in there a few hours ago. Mabel fastens her belt and sets her bag aside. Dean puts the key in the ignition and backs out of the parking garage.

Dean turned down the music jus tout of courtesy but it didn't stop him from humming and strumming along to the familiar sounding beats he could barely hear. Mabel just stared out the window watching all the things he was passing. It wasn't awkward yet but the silence was bad. They were gonna be in the car for a couple minutes before they come up on the fair and sitting in semi silence wasn't a good start to their date.

“So,” Dean starts breaking the silence. Mabel looks at him almost too quickly like what he has to say was very important. Which made him want to swallow what he was about to say. “Um, w-what do you want to do first?”

“What would you like to do first?” Mabel asks as if to avoid the question. Dean looks at her confused. “Not that I don't want to do anything! I'm just curious.” Mabel looks away embarrassed. She could have done that better.

“Well, if it weren't up to me,” He says fixing the weird tension. “I'd play a few games first.”

Mabel smiles, “That sounds like fun.”

The silence after that was actually quite comfortable. They did share a few more small conversations before they would turn into the dirt parking lot of the fair. Dean was a gentlman and helped Mabel out of the car. They walked over to the ticket booth and bought their afternoon passes. Since it was a Friday, there were people everywhere. There was probably a likely chance they could bump into someone they know in there.

“Photo for the cute couple?” A lady with an old polaroid camera asks approaching them.

Dean waves a hand, “No, no. That's fine.”

“Please Dean?” Mabel asks tugging his sleeve. She looked positively excited for just that thing. “It'll be a fun memory for me!”

He swallows that brick sized lump in his throat then finally gives in. He positions himself next to her as the lady stands back to snap the picture.

The lady looks up from the camera, “Um, can I get you to put your arm around her?”

Dean wanted to yell no, but his arm was already snaking its way around Mabel's waist while hers did the same. Her other arm went around his front and then she was hugging his waist.

“Perfect. Now smile,” The lady said going back to postioning the shot. She looks up one more time. “Maybe if you could rest your head on hers.”

“Just take the damn picture!” He barks ignoring the pink forming on his cheeks. The lady pulls a face, tells them to smile then finally takes the picture. Mabel pays the lady and they walk into the fair.

“Are you okay?” She asks looking at him. “She was just trying to take a good picture.”

Dean frowns, “Sorry. I just wanted her to take the picture already.” He looks at her hand. “Can I see it?” Mabel gladly hands him the picture. It was a nice photo of Mabel hugging his waist with his head resting on hers. They both look very happy with the situation. He hands the picture back and Mabel pulls him towards the first game she sees.

“Smash the pumpkins. Smash three get one of the big ones,” The man working the booth points out. Mabel puts five dollars down that gives her three tries. Little plastic pumpkins sit across from her and all she had to do was make them fall over. She's given an old fashioned slinghshot and 15 little white ping pong balls.

Dean watches his friend aim to knock one over. She misses on her first try. The man tells her its okay and that she has 14 left.

“Here,” He says holding his hand out. Mabel gives him the sling shot. “Just eye ball it.” Mabel watched Dean squint one eye and pull back the rubberband then let go sending the little ball flying.

Right into the wall behind the pumpkin. Dean looked up shocked and confused. He was so cool just a second ago, what the hell happened?

Mabel giggled, “Maybe I should just do it myself.” She slipped her hand around the handle of the slingshot and reloading it. “I've still got 13.”

Dean wanted to ask her for a do over but Mabel already fired one and missed. She did it one more time only this time she eye balled the thing and then fired. She knocked a pumpkin over.

“I did it!” She cheered jumping up and down a bit. “You wanna go again?”

Dean smirks, “How about this? If I can knock the other two over, you buy me a hot chocolate with all the works and if I don't I buy the hot chocolate.”

“With a slice of pumpkin pie?” Mabel asks getting into the bet.

“You're on,” Dean smiles shaking her hand.

Mabel really enjoyed her hot chocolate. And the pumpkin pie was amazing. Plus the cute teddy bear dressed as a pumpkin was adorable. Dean sat next to her at the plastic table with his arms folded.

Mabel cut a chunk from her pie and held it out to him, “It's okay Dean. We can always try again later.”

Dean leant forward, “Right.” He ate the chunk off the fork and slumped back into his chair.

Mabel looked around for something to cheer up her grump of a date. There was a ride that had oversized pumpkins spinning around as they go in a circle.

“Let's go on that next,” Mabel suggested gesturing to the ride. Dean sees the ride she just mentioned and doesn't decide against it. Mabel finishes the rest of her warm drink while Dean ate the rest of her treat. She picks up her pumpkin bear and they walked over to the ride. There was a medium sized line waiting for them. Dean pulled out two tickets for the ride and handed it to the man. He let Mabel choose the pumpkin they ride in. She chose the one that was farthest from the entrance. She and Dean climbed in closing and locking the safety gate. There was a circular disk in the middle that Dean started turning.

“Come on Mabel,” Dean grunted turning the disk. Mabel put her hands on the disk and started spinning it along with Dean. Soon their pumpkin was spinning at what they thought was mock speed. Mabel was giggling the whole time as they spun. Soon they heard the motorized motors making the ride start. Carnival like music played in the background as the ride went in a bumpy like circle and most of the occupied pumpkins spun.

Mabel screams with a laugh, “I'm getting dizzy!” She let go and gripped the edge of the metal bench she was sitting on. Her eyes were squeezed shut and she didn't feel gravity generally pulling her closer to Dean. Dean spun the disk a bit more before letting go and letting gravity pull him to Mabel.

The pumpkin spun on its own and the two collided shoulders. Mabel looked at Dean laughing. Dean doing the same. Soon they started up a loud conversation about experiences, mainly Dean. He'd tell her that when he was with his Dad, they went to a circus and a clown jumped out of no where and socked Sam in the face with a cream pie. Scared the living hell out of Sam but got a hearty laugh from their parents. Becasue of that Sam hardly ever took him to carnivals in risk of bumping into a clown.

Mabel told Dean that she might have remembered a time where one of the foster care people took her and the other kids to a local carnival. She looked one way and got lost. But it didn't bother her. She just went off on her own going onto rides, visitng the animals in the petting zoo, people handing her cotton candy free of charge. It only got ruined when one of the older kids found her, shouted at her and dragged her back to her foster parents.

“That sucks,” Dean says his voice a normal level now that the pumpkin slowed down from spinning. The ride still went on. “If I were there I’d be hanging out with you the whole day.”

Mabel smiles sweetly, “Thank you Dean.”

The ride ended and they climbed out, both feeling more lightheaded than they did when they climbed in. Mabel hugged her bear and they walked to their next destination. Mabel saw a ride that shoots you up into the air then drops you. Dean completely decieded against it. Heights don't sit well with him. He was born on the ground and that is where he intended to stay for the rest of his life. Mabel only pouted, not sure where she picked that up, and dragged him away to the ride. The got into the seats and the safety harnests came down over them. Some weird techno like music played as he watched the conductor fiddle with the buttons for the lift.

He jerked when the ride moved up, “Oh shit.”

“Are you okay?” Mabel asked loud so he could hear her over the mechanisms going up. Dean had his eyes shut and started humming metallica. “Dean?” He only hummed louder when the ride hit the top. Oh god was he afraid to open his eyes. But he had to when he felt a hand in his. He looked over to Mabel who was holding his hand. Just as she smiled the ride dropped and he swore the scream coming from him was a manly Tarzan jungle call.

The sun was just barely dipping and the sky was changing from a pink orange yellow color but into a puple dark blue color. It was gonna get dark soon and Dean has completely forgotten the whole reason they were there.

“Okay, before I forget,” Dean says swallowing his pumpkin shaped sugar cookie. Mabel looks at him. “You know I already asked you right?” She nods. “So I’m gonna ask again. Mabel, wanna go to homecoming with me?”

“I'd love to Dean,” She smiles going along with the situation. Her answer was a little different than before but it wasn't a no at least.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay this is extremely long and i know it's not halloween anymore but i missed my dead line.