Come in With the Rain

Make This Place Your Home

“Mabel you don't have to do this.”

“But I want to do this.”

“Come on its fine!”

Mabel turns to her boyfriend sitting at the kitchen island, “Dean, I know how much you love pie. I just want to try making one for you.”

Dean slumps slightly smiling at his girlfriend with flour on her face and batter on her hands and apron, “Fine. But do you want my help?”

“I'm fine,” Mabel says whipping back around.

“You know if you hadn't invited me to Thanksgiving with your family, you wouldn't have to go through so much trouble,” He states playing with a peeled apple skin that flung his way when she went to skin it in the sink. “And I could just buy one at the store!”

Mabel had agreed to ease the load off her grandmother by cooking most of the Thanksgiving dinner for the family.

Mabel frowns over her shoulder, “Can you just go watch TV or something?”

Dean chuckles and goes over to the living room where Castiel was reading the newspaper.

“Got banned from the kitchen?” Castiel laughs turning the page.

Dean kicked his feet up, “Yeah. How'd you get banned?”

“I told her to use the canned apples in the cupboard but there were only canned apricots,” Castiel states.

“I like apricots too!” Dean shouts so he could be heard from the kitchen. He hangs his head back to see
Mabel working upside down. He sits straight, “Hey thanks again for letting me, Sammy and Dad come to your Thanksgiving.”

“You're welcome Dean,” Castiel said. “I'm glad you are spending Thanksgiving with your father this year.”

Dean laughs, “Well Sam didn't really have a choice after Mabel talked to him.”

Dean, can you and Mabel go study in my office please?

Dean rolls his eyes understanding full well why. He explains to Mabel that Sam's on the phone with their dad. They were discussing plans about Thanksgiving arrangements. John wanted them to fly out to Kansas to come see him. Sam expresses Dean's fear of planes and decides they drive or that John comes out to them so he and Sam can go shopping on Black Friday. Then John rebuttals that he can't 'cause of his heart and low paycheck. And it goes on from there.

Mabel frowns, “Why do Sam and John always have to argue at some point? They are literally fighting about seeing each other.”

Dean shrugs, “I think it's 'cause when dad shut down years ago and Sam got custody over me and ran off to college, Dad got mad for feeling like Sam abandoned him. After all he is the oldest.”

“I think they are both idiots,” Mabel announces standing up from her chair.

“Mabel? What are you doing?” Dean asks following her movements with his head. She walks out of the office and he can hear Sam and his dad bickering from his spot.

“Mabel? What are you doing?”

Dean can hear his dad ranting. She probably put him on speaker.

“John can you please be quiet,” Mabel said into the speaker. It got silent on his end. “Thank you. Now, may I ask what you two are bickering over?”

Sam answers, “This is the first Thanksgiving in a long time that our dad wants to be a part of and he wants us to go down home to Kansas. But it’s gonna be our first real family Thanksgiving in this place and I want him to come down here.”

Mabel nods, “And the other arguments?”

“Sam left,” John said his voice ready to rise. “He just took his brother and left me here with no one.”

“We were better that way!” Sam interjected. “If we had stayed we'd be depending on a man who couldn't support us because of his drinking and depression!”

John growled, “Your mother had died! The love of my life! How was I supposed to care for two growing boys without her!” There was a shuffling. “You know you missed her anniversary don't you!”

Sam shouted, “You know we can't bear to go there! It brings back awful memories!”

Mabel felt that she lost hold of the situation as the two started shouting again.

“Shut up!” She shouted. The two went quiet surprised that she raised her voice. She clears her throat, “You two are acting absolutely immature about this.” She took a deep breath. “A compromise.”

“Compromise?” John asks.

Mabel nods, “Yes, a compromise. The Winchester family will join the Tippins family for Thanksgiving.”

And after that neither adult argued about the arrangements worried that Mabel would get upset again. When Mabel walked back to Sam's office, Dean had the biggest smile on his face.

“You're awesome,” He simply says as she sits down.

Mabel covers her pie with the dough and puts it in the oven. She wipes her forehead with the back of her hand and goes to clean up.

“You all done in there?” Dean asks looking back and watching an upside down Mabel remove her apron.

“Yeah,” She says wetting a cloth. “The pie will be ready in about twenty minutes.” She starts to clean up her mess. “What time does your dad's flight come again?”

“One thirty,” Dean replies. “Sam should be out picking him up from the airport.”

“Is that a wise decision?” Castiel asks putting his paper down. “They could get into a fight and they might never make it back.”

“They'll be fine as long as Sam's the one in the passenger seat,” Dean states. “He gets bitchy when he drives.”

Mabel goes to the fridge and pulls out more ingredients, “Dean want to help me make the stuffing and mashed potatoes?”

Dean immediately gets up, mostly hoping to get to taste test his girls cooking. There's a cook book open on against the wall so they can read the directions for the food.

“You go peel the potatoes and I'll start the pot,” Mabel says. Dean nods and goes in for a kiss but Mabel moves out of the way.

Dean frowned a bit as he goes to the sack of potatoes. He and Mabel have been going out for about five weeks now. He's been taking it slow just for her but when are they gonna kiss. He can take the hugging, talking, small pecks on the cheek and hand holding, but he wants to be at least a bit more intimate with her. They've known each other for so long now.

Mabel tried to focus on the stuffing recipe but her face was getting too warm for her. Dean just tried to kiss her and she chickened out. She had the right to right? She just wasn't ready yet. They've been dating for a while now and she needed to feel like she can do this. Plus Dean would be her first kiss.

A knock comes to the door and Castiel opens it to greet the two older Winchesters. John was carrying a huge butterball turkey. Sam had the other groceries Mabel needed for dinner. Mabel walked towards the older brother and helped him take in the groceries.

“Need any help?” John asks taking his coat off and rolling up his sleeves.

Mabel smiled, “The more the merrier.” She looked over. “Castiel you're not banned anymore.” Castiel shot up from the couch and walked to his kitchen where it was invaded by Winchesters. Mabel was like the little mom of the group. She made everyone feel better. John would bring up little stories of Thanksgiving with Mary, Sam and Dean's mother, and Mabel would feel happy to hear about them.

By the time the pie was done and the turkey was roasting in the oven, there was left over stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, gravy, and fresh rolls. They all relaxed in the living room feeling accomplished. John, Sam and Castiel cooled down with a beer while Mabel and Dean sat together talking.

“No one seems to tell me anything anymore,” John mentions catching the attention of the two. “I take it you two are together now.”

Dean sighed, “Yeah, dad. We're together.”

John smiled, “Good. I like Mabel.”

The turkey was finished cooking and it was about time to head over to the Tippins home. The Winchesters went over to their apartment to get ready while Castiel and Mabel did the same. After they were done they both packed up the dinner and met the Winchesters out in the hallway.

Dean had on a gray long sleeved button up shirt and black slacks with a black tie. His hair was gelled the same as normal.

Mabel had on a white almost pink colored long balloon sleeve flowing dance dress that has a black ribbon tied around her waist with black stockings and pale pink Vera Wang ballet flats. She has a pink bow attached to a ribbon holding her hair in place.

The group goes down to the lobby deciding their driving arrangements. Since Sam's car can barely hold four, Mabel and Dean will take the dinner while Castiel and John ride with him. Dean liked those arrangements and didn't object. Neither did Mabel.

Mabel was helping Dean with getting the dinner in the back of the impala where he speaks, “Hey Mabel?” She hums her reply as she arranges the food around. “Why haven't we kissed yet?”

Her eyes go wide as she looks up at him. He looked embarrassed and nervous. Dean really wants to take this thing with Mabel slow for her but he feels like if they don't seal it then how can he be sure he's really dating her.

Mabel stands straight and turns to him, “I don't know Dean. I want it to be right and I want to feel ready to kiss you.”

He chuckles, “Mabe's, it’s just a kiss, not sex.” He notices the heavy blush appear on her cheeks. “Mabel?”

She fiddles with her hands, “You'll be my first kiss. And I want that moment to be special.” Dean runs a hand through his hair, making it slick back. She hasn't thought about kissing anyone. It's like up until him she's discovered she has feelings.

He takes her hand and smiles, “It’s okay. I can wait till you feel like kissing me.” Mabel sighs relieved and says thank you to him. They get in the car after situating the food. Mabel gives him the directions that Castiel had written down for her to tell Dean.

“Son of a bitch,” Dean mutters seeing the Tippins household. “You sure found a good family didn't ya?”

Sam's car was already parked in the drive way so he pulled in next to his. He sees the front door open and Michael walked out.

“Mabel,” He called going over to his niece. He hugs her. “You look so pretty,”

“Hello Uncle Michael,” She smiles. She turns over to Dean. “You remember Dean, right?”

Michael's smile dims, “Course I do. How are you Dean?”

Dean swallows, “I'm good.” He takes the key from the ignition and moves to the trunk. “Um, are you gonna help us carry in dinner?”

Michael nods and goes to the back of Dean's car as the trunk opens, “Nice car.”

“Thanks.”

Dean carried in the turkey since he insisted it because Michael was making it sound like he couldn't handle such a simple task. The way that guy is makes Dean feel like he was being tested for something he didn't study for.

“Are you okay?” Mabel asks going to his side. He nods with a sincere smile. “Okay.” She pecks his cheek and walks over to her grandmother.

“Hey there Dean-o!”

Dean rolls his eyes upward as a smirk plasters his face. He turns to face Gabriel, “Hi there Gabe.” The two high five and go in for a one armed man hug. “How are you? Haven't seen you around in a while.”

Gabriel shrugs, “Just finished a short film recently, so I’m good.”

Dean gives him an impressed look, “Not bad.”

Gabriel goes over to the food scanning it. When he goes in to pick at the stuffing, Mabel comes over and swats his hand away.

“Aw come on Mabel. I was just taste testing it,” He whined.

She put her hands on her hips. Dean makes a noise, “Ooh, bro you're in trouble. She never puts her hands on her hips.” He slinks away so he doesn't get caught in the cross fire.

Sam was having a healthy conversation with Michael and Ana. John was chatting it up with Castiel's parents and Cas. So where was Dean supposed to go? He could go to the living room to watch some TV but he feels like if he even breathes wrong Michael was gonna be at his throat so fast he won't have time to gasp.

“Hey, you feeling alright?” Sam asks breaking free from his conversation.

Dean throws his hands up, “I don't know man. I feel like most of her family is out to get me.”

Sam shrugs, “Maybe 'cause you're not talking to them.” He leaves to continue his talk with Ana and Michael.

Dean swallows looking over to Mabel. She was setting up dinner and probably looked like she didn't need any help what with Gabriel there. He slumps a bit and goes to the living room. There were two other guys there having a conversation by the book case. Okay, time to turn back. Abort! Abort!

“Dean!”

Abort fail!

He turns back around to face them. A guy holding a wine glass walks over.

“You are the famous Dean I’ve been hearing so fondly about from Mabel,” The man says a bit smug. Dean wasn't expecting an accent. “I'm Balthazar.” Dean shook the man's hand and was led over to the other man. “This is my older brother Luke.” Dean shook that man's hand too.

Mabel managed to place everything properly on the counter.

“Would you like some help dear?” Her grandmother asks walking up to her.

“Uh, no,” Mabel says going to pick up the turkey. “I'm fine, but can you tell everyone that dinner is ready?” Mabel carries the giant bird over to the long dinner table. “Uncle Gabriel, can you carry in some food please?” Gabriel hops off the counter and grabs the mashed potatoes and green beans. People started to come into the dining room as Gabriel and Mabel set up the table.

Dean bee lined his way to his girlfriend, “Need help?” She smiled and nodded. He picked up the ham that her grandmother made and carried it to the table.

Once everything was set up and everyone was sitting, Castiel's father wanted to start grace. Dean took Mabel's hand and Sam's then bowed his head. The prayer was nice and heartfelt. The way Dean listened he could clearly hear how thankful the man was of his guests and family.

“Mabel gets the first pick since she made such a wonderful spread,” Her grandmother announced. Mabel giggled and gave her choice then passed her plate down.

It was pretty much that after she went. The next person would put in what they want on their plate and then passes it down. Soon it was followed by small chatter and cutlery.

Mabel looked around the table of faces. To think, that two months ago she was on the street preparing to almost freeze to death. She looks over to her father and smiles. Thanks to this man she has a warm place to sleep, good food in her stomach and a healthy education. If it weren't for him she wouldn't be surrounded by such wonderful people. And she wouldn’t have met Dean.

As dinner died down and half the food was eaten everyone just sat at the table talking.

“It's an old Winchester tradition to throw around the old pig skin,” John mentions.

Castiel's father replied, “Well that doesn't sound like a bad idea John. How's about it boys?” He looks to his sons while John did the same. They all nodded in agreement to the idea.

“Does that mean I can take my tie off?” Dean blurts out.

The back yard was huge enough for them to run around. Balthazar sat out, not 'cause he didn't want to break a nail, but because he needed his arms to grade essays. Castiel on the other hand didn't give a crap if his arms fell off, it would only mean no work but you still get paid.

Since the Winchesters were at an unfair advantage Castiel joined their team. Mainly, because they've known him longer.

Mabel sat with her aunt, uncle and grandmother on the patio furniture watching the game at a safe distance.

Each family was broken into two huddles obviously coming up with a battle strategy. Ana and her mother started clapping when the teams clapped and broke into a line. Since they were guests, the Winchesters got the ball first.

“Dean!” John shouted. “Go long!” He knew full well that they were at an advantage because of Dean being the captain of the football team would bring them to victory. Dean ran as fast as he could along the side with his hands open. John chucked the ball making it a perfect spiral. Luke went running after the flying object while chasing the young teenager. Dean jumped up catching the ball in his hands and ran to the tree that they decided was the Tippins end zone.

Sam, Castiel and John cheered for the teen.

“Nice catch,” Luke commented patting Dean on the back. Dean jogs back over to his dad after giving his thanks to him.

Mabel clapped for their point. Dean waved to her and she waved back. And then they were back in their starting positions. John hiked the ball and Sam caught it. Dean went running around attempting to do the same move he applied earlier. Michael noticed and went after Dean.

Dean stops to catch the ball flying for him but Michael jumps in and snatches the ball. Dean's momentarily stunned but gets his ass into gear. He chases after the older Tippins sibling.

“This game is tedious,” Balthazar hums following the men running around.

Mable giggles, “I find it kinda interesting.”

“Only 'cause your boyfriend is playing,” Ana chimes in.

The game ends in a fair number. The Winchesters and Castiel win.

“Only 'cause you guys got a jocky teenager, a giant, an ex-marine and our taekwondo little brother,” Gabriel complains gaining his breath.

Dean and Sam turn to Castiel, “Taekwondo?”

Castiel shrugs, “I have a club membership.”

The two open their mouths but closes them quickly and stare in confusion.

Sam snickered seeing the false placid look on his brother’s face as he ate Mabel’s pie, “Is it that good?”

“Dude,” Dean starts. “Best homemade pie, ever.” He smiles when Mabel does.

“You’re just being nice,” Sam teases.

Dean squints at his brother, “Eat it then.”

Sam takes a bite of his piece. He looks over to Mabel as he chewed. She looked at him with an expectancy that he really wish wasn’t on her face. Sam leans closer to his brother, “Dude you are being nice.”

Dean whispers, “I know. It’s too fucking sweet.”

“I think I got a cavity,” Sam muses.

“Guys?” She calls worried.

Sam sits straight, “This. This tastes awesome.” He pokes at the slice not sure if he wants to finish it.

Gabriel practically blurts, “Whoa who put the whole box of sweet and low in here!”

What Dean wouldn’t give to reach over and strangle the guy.

Mabel frowns, “What’s wrong with it?”

“Sugar,” Ana chokes. “There’s literally, too much sugar in this.”

Mabel looks at her father and Castiel nods, “I’d have to agree.” Mabel bites into her piece and makes a twisted look. “Right?”

She slumps her shoulders not really looking into Dean’s direction. He knew she wanted to make him a pie that he’d love to eat, only to have him lie to her that it tasted amazing.

Dean clears his throat, “I still like it.” He takes another bite, fighting back the sugary flavor, and swallows it. He gives a thumbs up to his girlfriend making a smile creep onto her face.

Now where’s the water to wash it down?
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments please!