Come in With the Rain

Family Always Matters

Castiel groans as he rolls his shoulders. He checks his watch and it looked about time to head home. He saves his work onto his computer and locks his cabinets for the night. He grabs his trench coat and heads out of his office. He said goodnight to a few late night workers before walking into the elevators. He thinks maybe he should pick up some dinner for Mabel. So during the walk home he picks up some Chinese.

In the elevator ride up to his apartment he thinks about giving his parents a call to inform them of Mabel. He walks out into the hallway when the doors ding open.

Castiel knocks on the Winchester's door and waits for someone to answer. Dean is the one that answers the door.

“Hey, Cas,” Dean greets with a smile. “Come on in.” Dean steps aside to let him inside. Mabel was sitting with Sam watching him do stuff on his laptop. “Mabel, Cas is here.” Mabel looks up and smiles.

“Hey,” She greets with a wave. She gets up and goes over to him. “Thanks for having me over guys.”

“No problem,” Sam waves. “Don't forget your books. I'll be expecting to hear you read next time.”

“Excuse me?” Castiel asks confused.

“Sam's teaching me how to read,” Mabel reassures him.

“You can't read?” Castiel asks surprised. Mabel shakes her head.

Sam gets up from his laptop and walks to the two, “Turns out she doesn't know much.”

“Dibs on teaching her to swim!” Dean shouts from the couch with his hand raised. Sam rolls his eyes.

Castiel looks at Mabel, “I'll need to enroll you into school.”

Mabel rocks back and forth on her feet trying to hide the fact that she wants to say something. Castiel notices and looks at her, “Mabel?”

“I don't want to go to school.”

“What? why?”

She heaves a sigh, “I don't do well around groups of people.”

“It'll be fine,” Sam calms her. “I'm sure it will.”

Mabel looks at Sam expecting a hint of a lie in his eyes. He looked determined to get her an education. She ducks her head and nods while saying she would consider going to school.

Castiel and Mabel say goodbye to their neighbors and went home. Castiel hits a button on his answering machine and it starts to play his messages.

“Cassie~” A female voice sings. Mabel looks at the machine. “It's Ana! You know, the big sister you forget to call! Well, I heard from Michael about your little guest and I'm going to stop by to take a look for myself.”

Castiel lets out a groan. Mabel looks to him, “You have a sister?” Castiel nods. “She seems nice.”

They sit down to eat the take out Castiel brought home.

“So, does me staying here with you, make it official that you adopted me?” She asks poking her fork at her noodles. Castiel looks up from his meal to stare at the girl. She wasn't looking at him expecting an answer but she was giving her food that look.

“Would it make you feel better if I went and got the paperwork?” He asks. He see's Mabel bite her lower lip once before giving her food the look from before. “It will take a while to make it official since I need someone to do a little digging for your paperwork.”

“So, I'm not your kid?”

Castiel wasn't expecting to be a father at any moment in his life. Especially now. But he really wanted to keep Mabel under his roof. So maybe adopting her was his best option. He looks back to the past events and realize there is in no point in time where he wasn't acting like a father to her.

He huffs jokingly, “What makes you think that?” Finally Mabel looks at him. “I thought that when I asked you to stay, you'd be my kid.” In his honest opinion it felt weird saying that. But the look on Mabel's face was worth it. She looked like she would cry but was fighting every part of herself to keep calm.

“Thank you so much,” She breathes shakily. “For helping me off the street. I've been so alone for so long. This is the first family I've ever had.”

Castiel feels his heart become heavy. She's been holding in the pain of having to grow up quickly just to survive.

After dinner, Castiel teaches Mabel a few things. Like simple math and writing. Turns out Mabel is a righty and not a lefty.

A sudden excited knock comes to the door. Mabel gets up to answer it.

“Yes?” She asks politely opening the door. A woman dressed casually in a brown jacket, pink top and jeans. She had fiery red hair and a sweet looking face.

She bends a little to be eye to eye with Mabel, a smile on her face, “You must be Mabel.”

“Castiel....” Mabel calls out concerned about the strange woman. Castiel walks up behind Mabel opening the door all the way and grunts.

“Is that anyway to greet your older sister?” The woman frowns.

Castiel pulls Mabel inside, “Hi Ana.”

Mabel looks between Castiel and the woman, “This is your sister?” She continues to look between the two. “She's very pretty.”

“Wow, kid's got manners,” Ana snickers. She walks past Castiel and puts her purse on the kitchen counter. “Now, Mabel let me-” She gasps. Mabel frowns a little afraid she may have done something wrong. “What in all that is holy, are you wearing?”

Mabel looks down at her outfit.

“I didn't steal them....” Mabel murmurs looking at her feet embarrassed. “... I didn't mean to.”

Castiel puts a hand on her shoulder to make her feel calm.

“Oh, baby, it's not that,” Ana sighs using a casual name like she knew Mabel. “It's just, girls like yourself shouldn't be wearing things like that.” Mabel tugs at the ends of the sleeves of the collared shirt she had on. “Since I'm in town, I'll need to take you shopping.” The word shopping really shouldn't make Mabel seem so excited. But then again when is she ever going to get the chance again.

“Ana here is a designer,” Castiel states. “So you're definitely in good hands.”

Ana sits Mabel down to talk to her. Castiel has last minute paper work he needs to do.

“How many siblings do you have?” Mabel asks expecting a big family.

“Well there's me and Cas,” Ana mumbles counting her family on her fingers. She shows six fingers. “About this many,”

“Wow,” Mabel stares at her fingers. “Who's the oldest?”

“Michael is the oldest,” She replies. “Maybe if Cas ever takes you to work, you might bump into him. And if you ever do, don't forget to be really polite. Michael is sort of.... old fashioned.”

“'Old fashioned'?” Mabel questions.

Ana sighs running her fingers through her hair, “He still holds a lot of faith in our father so he tries to be the best 'soldier' he can be.” Mabel nods understanding. “Speaking of Michael, Cas!”

“Yes?” Castiel calls from his study.

“Did Michael ask you about dinner?” Ana asks.

“Yes,” He replies. “I'm bringing Mabel.”

“Oh good,” Ana beams. “So you will meet Michael then.”

Mabel swallows hard feeling frightened of Michael a bit.

“So tell me,” Ana rambles on. “Are you officially Cas' kid?” Mabel shrugs an 'I don't know'. “What do you mean you don't know?”

“Castiel tells me there is a lot of paper work that needs to be done in order to make it official.”

“Pish posh on paper work,” Ana scoffs. “I say you're his kid. He's just too shy to admit it.”

Mabel snickers, “So you're like my aunt then?”

Ana thinks, “Hmmmm.... I think so. Auntie Ana? Has a nice ring to it for some reason.” Mabel giggles again. Ana sighs pulling the girl into a hug. “Gosh you are just so sweet.”

Mabel smiles into the hug then releases herself to ask more about her new family. The more she knows the better. So Ana explains to Mabel about how she is the only sister of six kids. She has five brothers.
Michael, Lucifer; prefers Luke, Balthazar, Gabriel, and then Castiel. She also mentions when Mabel goes to the family dinner she'll probably run into all of them if she's lucky. Now she talks about her family history. Their father may have been absent most of their lives but whenever he had the chance he would spend almost all of his time with his wife and kids.

“Well, I'm gonna call it a night,” Ana moans as she stretches her arms above her head. She grabs her purse from the kitchen. Mabel stands next to Castiel as they see her off. “I'll come by again to take Mabel shopping.”

Castiel hugs his sister and Ana hugs Mabel. They said goodnight and goodbyes.

Mabel goes to her room and gets ready for bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I also love my Ana. At least she's not dating Cas or flirting it up with Dean. As long its not that.