Survival of Z-World

We can't go there.

I woke up with the biggest smile on my face.

Remembering everything that went on last night, I knew I had to keep it myself, only other girls would know how thrilling it is to keep something like that to yourself, but as far as I knew, I was the only girl with a memory in this entire country. Maybe one day, if I found another girl, we could share secrets.

As I threw the covers back I noticed I wasn't wearing my underwear. They were thrown on the floor next to my clothes. I scratched my head trying to think if I had worn them to bed. And then I remembered my dream. That, was an amazing dream.

"Probably just got a little carried away, Leigh." I said to myself, smiling.

I stood up and dressed myself, then made the bed. I thought it'd be the right thing to do, in respect of the people that used to own this house. I grabbed my torch and opened the door, walking down the hall, I'd noticed Corey's door was open, his bed also made. Corey was pretty attractive. Standing at about 6 feet tall, with gorgeous green eyes and dark, brown hair, and tanned skin, although he did have a sock tan, so I guessed he was quite pale before Z-day had forced him to spend endless days in the sun, hunting. Simon, however, although also attractive wore a gold band on his ring finger. Which meant he was probably mourning, but trying to survive, just like the rest of us.

I walked into the bathroom, staring at my dirty feet and walked up to the vainty to look at myself in the mirror. I tied my hair up again, rubbed my eyes, pinched my cheeks, wishing I had at least, brought eye-liner with me.

"Ahem."

"Oh, my god." My hands dropped to my side and eyes opened wide.

Corey was standing in the shower, completely naked. I couldn't stop staring. Corey smirked.

"I know I should've closed the door, but now you're here, can you pass me that towel?"

"Uh, yeah." I said, not knowing where to look, but anywhere other than Corey. I threw the towel at him, cheeks blushing a bright pink.

"Sorry." I huffed, shuffling out of the bathroom. I backed myself up against the wall and sighed. Damn, he had a very nice body!

No, Leigh. You just had sex with Frankie, don't let someone who could probably be gone tomorrow get into your thoughts. I would just avoid Corey for a while.

I walked out to where Simon & Frankie were chatting about experiences in the new Z-world.

"I got seperated from my wife, she was 7 months pregnant." I heard Simon say, and heard the hurt in his voice. Poor guy. Frankie nodded his head and put his hand on his shoulder for sympathy.

"I'm just glad for everyday that I'm still alive and not one of those things." He continued.

"Agreed." I replied, putting my runners on and smiling at Frankie.

"Sleep well?" Frankie asked.

"Very well, thanks." I replied, smirking.

"So, whose driving today?" Corey asked, as he walked into the room putting his shirt on.

"I will." Simons replied, getting the keys of Frankie.

Frankie and I grabbed our guns and bags as Corey slowly opened the door, there were 2 stray walkers hanging around the car. Maybe they could smell us. I took the cleaver our of my bag and Simon revealed a hunting knife he'd been hiding in a sheath around his leg. We both walked out slowly. This was my time to make up for the Laura encounter. The walkers had spotted us and started to moan as they shuffled towards us. I tensed up for a minute and took in a deep breath. Simon looked at me and nodded as he mouth 'you okay?' I nodded back as one of the walkers directed its shuffle at me. I took 2 giant steps as the walker raised it's arms I threw my arm back, ready to swing, I lost my footing and fell, twisting my ankle on the way down.

"Fuck!" I yelled, as the walker dropped itself ontop of me.

"Keep your mouth closed!" Frankie yelled. I cleaver fell to my side and I grabbed the zombie around the throat. It felt horrible. It snapped it's remaining teeth together, almost like an angry dog. Corey picked up the cleaver and as I closed my eyes and turned my head, I heard it sink into the back of the walkers head. I shoved it off me and stood up, dusting myself off.

"You get bit?" He asked, pulling out my left arm.

"No." I replied, yanking my arm back.

I looked down at the dead walkers and put my foot on it's back and ripped the cleaver out of its head. It was then I noticed how rank Zomebie's smell. I wiped it on the small patch of dead grass to clean the blade.

"Lets go." I said, heading for the back seat of the car. We all loaded in and Simon started the engine.

"There's only a quarter of a tank left." Simon remarked.

"That shoulder get us to the edge of town where we can find somewhere, set up a little bit and turn on the radio. Speaking of, turn the car radio on." Frankie said from the backseat.

Corey switched it on and played with the tuner, most channels were static, one just replayed a message saying 'The apocalyse is HERE, repent your sins to cleanse your soul to go above!' We listened to it a few times, just incase it said anything else.

Then we heard it.

"Go back, go back!" I said, pulling on Corey's seat.

He flipped the tuner back and it was a little bit static-y but you could just hear a persons voice.

Infection free zone, food, water, shelter, safety. Women, men, children here. Come now. Infection free zone. We are located 50km's outside of city limits.

That could be anywhere, considering outside city limits there was nothing but one road and a whole bunch of nothing else. How could we be safe there? It was open land, no bushes, no buildings.

"I don't think we should go," I said, looking at Frankie. "There's nothing there, you and I know that. We have to try the UHF radio, the infected could've reached there already."

Frankie nodded in response.

"We need to try." Simon replied.

"I agree with Leigh, we can't chance it." Corey piped up. Why was he so nice and on my side all of a sudden?

"3 against 1, we go to the edge of town and check the radio there."

"Why don't we just do it now?"

Simon pulled the car over and switched it off.

"Were gonna need fuel to get somewhere if we hear something, we can't drive all about the country side hoping were gonna make it."

I took the radio from my bag and switched it on.

Here goes nothing.

"Hello, is anybody there? There are 4 of us, no infection, we are looking for other survivors. Can anybody help us?"