Survival of Z-World

Drive.

"Hello, can anybody hear me?!" I yelled into the radio again.

Just full of static.

I threw the radio on the ground of the car and let out a loud sigh.

"Well, I think we should probably look at finding some petrol, and stocking up on that, and getting some more rations." Simon said.

"We should find some stuff to maybe strengthen up this car, too." Corey added.

"Where are we gonna find stuff like that?" Frankie asked, sarcastically.

"We can use a some fence, and shape it into a scoop to put on the front of the car, and we could maybe find a hardware store and get bars for the windows, I don't want to brag but I've done a bit of handywork in my time." Corey said, I could hear his ego loud and clear.

"First we need food and petrol." I said, they all nodded in agreement. Simon started the car and drove back in the direction we came.

"We should probably look for weapons too." I said.

"I know where there's a gun shop, my dad always used buy his guns there, and you wouldn't know it's a gun shop from looking at it, so maybe it hasn't been ransacked yet." Frankie replied, smiling.

He was so close to his dad. It was then I realised how much it would have hurt him to also leave the house in the first place.

We pulled up at a petrol station that had a little deli connected to it.

"I'll check the pump." Corey said, jumping out of the car. Frankie & I got out with him to go into the store and get food. Corey put his hand on the pump and clicked it on.

"WAAAAHOOO!" He yelled, sticking it into the car.

"Look for some jerry cans, so we can carry the fuel with us." Corey yelled at us from the pump.

We walked into the shop quietly, checking through the aisles for any walkers. I wondered behind the front counter and bent down to feel around and look for a ---- yes, there it was. This area was always bad for it's break-ins and crime rates. I pulled the gun out from behind a box. I then looked and found a box of bullets. God I was lucky today.

I got a heap of plastic bags and gave some to Frankie as we filled them to the top with whatever we could find, which was mostly chocolate and chips. There were a few bottles of soft drink in the fridges, so I grabbed them as well. Frankie made a couple of trips back to the car.

"I'm gonna look for the jerry cans, Leigh, you get the rest of what we'll need, dont get too much crap, we'll have to stop somewhere else and find canned food." Frankie told me, acting like such an adult.

"There is no such thing as too much chocolate, Frankie." I laughed.

I quickly packed the rest of the bags I had and walked back to the car, the gun tucked into the back of pants. I hopped into the front seat and closed my door. Simon smiled at me.

"Thank for letting us stay with you, Leigh."

"No worries, Si, even if you did want to kill me first." I replied, poking his arm.

Simons went back to reading the map he'd found in the glovebox. I looked into the side mirror and almost had to do a double take.

"No, no, no, no." I put my hand to my mouth.

There were more than what we were capable of killing, and they were alot closer than what they looked like in the mirror when I opened my door and stuck my head out.

Frankie and Corey were obviously too busy filling up the cans Frankie had found.

"Frankie! Hurry up and get in the car!" I yelled, pointing to the horde of walkers that had obviously smelt us. Frankie looked in the direction I was pointing and started yelling at Corey to hurry up. Corey finished filling the last can up and screwed the lid on, Frankie loading them into the back. He hurriedly ran to the other side of the car and jumped in, but Corey stayed.

"Start the car." Corey yelled to me.

Simon turned the key.

"Were not leaving you!" I yelled back.

"Just keep my door open, and get a lighter ready." He replied, staring the walkers down. He poured a line of fuel in front of him. I had a lighter in my hand as Frankie leaned over and flicked his door open. Simon had the car in drive, ready to floor it.

"Wait......wait for it..." Corey said, looking a bit too excited.

Three zombies were ahead of the rest, Corey managed to flick the petrol onto them. Then nothing came out of the nozzle. Corey swore and chucked it on the ground. He jumped into the car and shut his door.

"NOW! Throw the lighter at them!" Corey yelled at me, I flicked it on and threw it as hard as I could. It landed on the line of fuel Corey made and instantly lit up.

"GO,GO,GO!" I yelled at Simon, hanging myself out of the window to watch. The flames licked the roof of the station as the zombies caught fire. I lifted my middle finger to them all and watched as they all started to burn. Frankie leaned to the front and pulled me back into the car. He cocked his eyebrow at me.

"It felt right." I giggled. We had a gotten far enough away when we heard the loudest boom.

"Maybe that'll attract the fuckers to the fire and they'll all burn." Simon said, laughing like a maniac.

We drove on and Simons told us he remembered there being a hardware store where we could get bars for the windows.

We stopped out the front of a house where the fence was run down, along with the whole house.

"Perfect." Corey exclaimed, rubbing his hands together. He took his gun of the seat and slowly opened his door. Frankie got out and opened the back of the car, so put the fence in, so we could go somewhere safe to attatch it all.

Corey came back to the car with blood up his leg. I pointed and asked if he'd been bit.

"No, half a Zombie pulled itself along, I turned around just intime to feel it's hands on my ankle, was about to chomp when I stomped it's head in."

I gagged at thought and Simon drove on.

We found the gunshop - Frankie was right, you wouldn't notice it - and Frankie ran in by himself, he came out 20 minutes later carrying 5 packs of bullets, a cross-bow, (I had no idea you'd find them in a gunshop) another rifle and a shot gun.

"I grabbed all I could, this was what was pretty much left."

"Let's go to that hardware place." Corey said.

I'd fallen asleep in the car, when I woke I'd noticed we'd stopped and I was the only one in the car. I looked around and found we were parked in the lot of a warehouse. I turned to face the front and watched as a small group of about 10 walkers shuffled past, not even noticing anything around them. I looked into the the rearview mirror and saw Frankie, Corey and Simon walked out. Frankie was carrying a bunch of bars, and packets of screws. Corey had tools in one hand and was keeping Simon up with the other. I jumped out of the car and opened up the back of the car then ran up and helped Simon over to the car. Frankie dumped everything and shut the door.

"Are you okay?" I asked Simon. Nothing seemed wrong, until he lifted up his sleeve to show me.

"I heard him yell out, so I ran over to him and killed the walker, but it was too late." Corey said, the look on his showed me he knew what had to be done, but he was obviously good friends with Simon and didnt wan't to face it.

"What do we do from here?" I asked looking at Corey.

"You kill me." Simon piped up. His face was already white, it was hitting him fast.

Corey shook his head. Simon nodded.

Simon handed his gun to me.

"If you can kill me, then I know you'll survive." He whispered in my ear. I nodded as tears started to fall.

"We have to go back into the warehouse, it'll be quieter than doing it out here." Simon said to me. He was starting to sweat. All four of us walked to door, but Corey and Frankie stopped. Simons hugged Corey and said a few words to him. He shook Frankie's hand and nodded at him.

"Both of you better take care of her." He smiled and we walked in.

Simon sat down behind the counter. I bent down and hugged him and kissed his cheek. Even though we hadn't known each other long, we'd helped each other survive this bit longer.

"Make sure they don't kill each other." He smiled at me. He looked so tired and sick. I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand and took the gun Simon gave me from my pocket. I stood up and took a couple of steps back.

"Thank you." He said, as his head fell back, and his body went limp.

I waited.

Simon's body started to rise again. He fingers twitched, and his eyelids started to opened. I clicked the safety off and aimed. His eyes opened and he set his sights on me. I put my finger on the trigger and squeezed. Simon flew back and went limp again. I ran out of the warehouse and didn't stop at Frankie and Corey.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The sun started to fall as we reached one of the bush reserves in our town. We pulled into the parking lot. The area looked safe. I reached into the back of the car and pulled out some food for the 3 of us. We ate in silence, just as the car ride had been for the rest of the day. It was getting late, I laid across the whole backseat and the boys put their seats back. I smiled at Frankie as he closed his eyes. I stared at the roof of the car when I noticed Corey still hadn't settled. I reached across and found his hand and entwined our fingers. Not in a romantic way, but an I'm here for you way. He eventually stopped shuffling and went to sleep. I was about to drift off when ....

Hello?! We heard your radio call, hello?!