We're Climbing up the Sky

Roommates and dancing

Drella looked over at the 4 men who were sprawled out in the living room. It amazed her how much time they spent together, being cooped up in a tour bus for months on end. Then when it’s over it’s like being on tour, but actually have room to spread out. She pulled her beanie on. She bid her goodbyes to them, she had to go to her apartment her roommates left her a group message on her cell phone screaming about something and how they wanted her home. So She figured thatSheI should go home for a bit before she tries to find work. She picked up her bags, after hugging all the guys and headed out the door. She heard the door open and close as she shoved her bags in her tiny run down car. She turned to see her lanky boyfriend running towards her.

“Wait Drella,” he pulled her into a hug. “Can I come with you? I want to meet your roommates?”

She bite her lip, her roommates were sorta like the characters from New Girl. They were fucking crazy, and she never brought a boy home. But Mike was different, he wasn't like the other guys she had dated, “Uhh...sure if you want to..” she looked up at him, he smiled down at her.

“Sweet okay! Let me just get something,” he ran back inside, she slide into the drivers seat. Tapping her hands against the steering wheel waiting for him to get in her car.

The door opened and Mike slide into the car he had his snap back on and a cigarette hanging off his lip. He shot her a heart melting grin and nodded. She jammed her keys in and turned it on. Matt and Kim blasted from the speakers, they were her current favorite band. She sped out of the driveway, she was never a good driver and she wasn’t the calmest person to have behind the wheel.

“What the fuck are you doing! It’s a green fucking light! GOOO” she yelled at the driver in front of her.

She looked over at Mike, who was sporting an amused look on his face. She rolled her eyes and drove on. They got to her apartment, which was only 5 minutes, she could easily bike or walk to The Fuentes house.

“God you are a horrible driver, I will remember to never let you drive.” Mike laughed as he got out of the car, and opened the back door grabbing her stuff.

She just laughed “Yeah. I admit I’m not the best..” She grabbed her other suitcase that he didn’t get.

They lugged her baggage up the stairs, the elevator was broken. She fished through her purse to find her keys, which she only just placed in there, but since her bag is the Marry Poppins bag, it got eaten up. Once she found them she put them in the lock and opened the door.

“I’M HOME,” she yelled into the hallway, Mike followed her into her apartment.

“GOOD YOU’RE JUST IN TIME FOR THE TRUE BLOOD MARATHON,” Josh one of her roommates yelled.

The short girl giggled, Mike raised an eyebrow. She took his empty hand, pulling him through the hallway which led to the living room. Two identical guys were sitting on the opposite ends of the couch, with a big bowl of popcorn between them. They looked up as the couple entered the room.

“Hey guys,” she waved to them, grinning “I want you to meet Mike, my boyfriend.”

They placed her bags down on the wooden floor. She watched the twins Josh and Daivd look Mike over.

“So this is the guy you wouldn’t shut up about,” David laughed, getting up to hug Drella. Heat rose to her face as he pulled away. “Oh was I not supposed to say that?” He turned to Mike, sticking his hand out “I’m David.”

Mike looked at his hand, then took it “Nice to meet you.”

“I’m Josh!” Josh said from the couch, which he was now laying down on. “Now that we met everyone, can we fucking watch True Blood!”

Drella rolled by her eyes “Whatever Josh, start it without me, I gotta put my stuff away anyway. We’ll be back,” I said, picking my stuff up off the ground.

They dragged her luggage into her bedroom. From her room you could hear David cussing out Josh for taking his seat on the couch. Drella's room was an average size, she had a queen size bed which had Doctor Who bedsheets and a black comforter. The walls were a pastel purple, random photos, drawings, and a poster of Primeval were plastered on the wall. A large cardboard cut out of the TARDIS stood in the corner. Her room was clean, seeing as she liked it to be clean when she left for a tour so she doesn’t come home to a messy room.

She placed her bags in the middle of the floor. She looked over to Mike, who was sitting on her bed with a photo in his hand. She sat down next to him, looking at the photo. It was the photo of the two of them, it was the day they went to Disney. They were standing next to Peter Pan and Wendy, Drella was grinning like a little kid, while Mike had his arm slung around her. It was her favorite photo of them. Without a word Mike put the photo down, he tilted his hips as he reached into the back pocket pulling out his wallet. He pulled out a folded photo, and handed it to her. She opened it up, it was the same photo. She smiled, at the thought of him carrying the photo of them around with him.

“Awh that’s so cute!” she laughed, giving it back to him, which he slipped back into his wallet and then pants.

“Hey you have the same photo on your bedside table, so shush.” he said, as he placed his lips over hers. They lingered there for a few minutes, then he broke away. “So your roommates are guys..”

She got up and dumped out all of her clothes onto the floor. “And Tina but she’s at work.” she sat cross-legged, sorting out her dirty clothes, which was basically all of her clothes.

“Oh that’s cool. How’d you meet them?” Mike said, laying down on her bed his head hanging off the end.

“I worked with David at a comic book store, and we began friends, then when I need a place to stay he was like ‘come live with me, my bro and I need another roommate.” she threw all of her clothes into the basket. She flopped onto her bed, her head resting on his stomach. She turned over on her stomach, inching closer to him. He lifts his head up, he smiles at her. “I like your mustache that you are sporting.”

He chuckles and smooths it down “You think I should keep it?” Drella nods “Really? I thought most girls wouldn’t like kissing a guy with a mustache.”

She smirk “Well good thing I’m not most girls.”

They were about to kiss when her door swung open revealing her tall and lanky friend.

“Ohmygosh,” Tina squealed “Oh my gosh, I’m sorry. I didn’t know, ohmygod.” she giggled and ran into the living room. Once again there was yelling emitting from the living room.

“Did you tell her we were dating...?” Mike said, turning to look at her.

She chuckled sheepishly, sitting up “Might have slipped my mind...”

He rolled his eyes “Gurl what chu doing?” he said with this weird accent making her laugh. “Come on let’s go out and watch vampire porn.”

The couple walked hand in hand in the living room, which the pink haired girls roommates were all huddled up in. The three adults were hovering around the tv, sitting on the ground where the coffee table used to be. They were all curled up around a half empty bowl of popcorn. Their eyes were glued to the tv. Drella rolled her eyes, her friends weren’t always or ever the maturest people she knew. But she couldn’t help but smile at the thought of a True Blood marathon. Drella lead Mike to the couch, which was surprisingly not being occupied by her friends. Mike sat down in the middle corner of the couch, which had a dip in it. He extended his long arms, wrapping them around her tiny waist and pulled her down next to him. She curled into his chest, snuggling close enough to hear his heartbeat. Mike placed his lips on her head, kissing her softly. Then he rested his head on the back of the couch.

He was exhausted from the tour and last night. He was currently more relaxed in this moment than any other in the past months. He yawned, which made Drella get off him and look at him. She gave him a soft smile, she knew he was tired. She leaned in, her mouth hovering by his ear.

“Sleep darling, you’re exhausted,” she whispered, her breath gave him chills.

He nodded, too tired to respond. She kissed underneath his ear before moving back to the same position she was in before. He smiled, tightening his grip on her so that she was closer to him. He closed his eyes and let sleep take hold of him. Drella smiled at her sleeping boyfriend, cuddling closer to him. The black haired girl turned around, facing the couple. Tina and Drella made eye contact, the two of them known eachother for so long they were able to have conversations without saying a word. Sorta like Marshall and Lily from How I Met Your Mother. They liked to joke about how they could read each others mind. Tina could see the bags that swallowed up her pink haired friends eyes, she decided they would talk about Drella and Mike’s relationship another time. Tina gave her a warm smile, blew her a kiss and turned back around to the current sex scene that was playing out.

Drella could feel her eyelids getting heavier, she fought against her body, not wanting to fall asleep. But her body had won the battle, and she fell asleep. The twins looked back at the sleeping couple. Drella has never done this, bring her boyfriend to their apartment. All the men she has dated she has never brought one home. They knew he was different, otherwise they would be hearing about him not seeing him asleep on their couch.

“He better treat her right,” David whispered, turning back to the other two.

“I know Mike and even though he has a reputation I know he cares more for her than anything else. He’s a sweetheart, he would never hurt her,” Tina said, nodding.

She took a sip of her steaming hot tea, she placed it down on the ground. Tina rested her head on Josh’s shoulder.

&&&&

The phone rang, the three awake looked at each other none of them wanting to get up and get the phone. They did rock, paper, scissor to see who would answer it. But by the time they figured out who would answer it, the phone stopped ringing. The pink haired girl stirred in her sleep.

“You guys need to stop being so fucking awkward and just answer the fucking phone,” she said, her voice cracking from just waking up.

She wiggled her way out of Mike’s arms, which were wrapped around her torso, without waking him up. She walked softly across the wooden surface. Jaimes number flashed as a missed call. She groaned as she repressed the button to call him back. The phone rang a couple of times.

“Hello?” it was Vic not Jaime.

Drella rubbed her eyes and walked into the kitchen “Vic? Did you just call?”

“Hey Drella! Yes I did. I wanted to tell you that the guys and I were thinking of going out to the club tonight. If you, Mike and your roommates want to join that would be awesome,” she could hear the smile in his voice.

“Uhm sure, I’ll just ask them.” she placed a hand over the speaker, poking her head out of the kitchen doorway. She whispered “Hey guys want to go clubing tonight?”

There was a soft chorus of “yeahs” not wanting to wake up the sleeping tattooed man. Drella pulled her head back in and put the phone to her ear. “Yeah we’ll go. I’m sure Mike will want to when he wakes up.”

“Oh were you guys sleeping?”

“Yeah. Well he still is. So where is it we are going?”

The two talked for a little bit on the phone, they have been friends for a while. She thought it was nice to talk to him and nothing.

“I have have to go Ella, see you at 7?” He said.

“See you at 7 Vic. Love you,” they bid their goodbyes and hung up.

She wandered back into the living room, placing herself on the couch next to her sleeping boyfriend. Her eyes flickered over the clock, which read 4:30. Josh turned to face her, she slipped down off the couch and onto the floor to get to their level.

“So when are we leaving and where are we going?”

“We are going to the Cabin and at 7,” she said in a sing song voice.

&&&

Drella stood barefoot in the doorway with her hands on her hips.

“Mr. Fuentes, give me my shoes this instant!” Her head was craned in his direction.

He held her heels high above his head, she who was much shorter than him, was standing on her tip toes. He grinned down at his short girlfriend.

“Nope,” he bent down pecking her lips “You’ll have to get them.”

Drella rolled her eyes and walked away “Whatever Whiskeyhands. I have to put make up on anyway so I can wait.”

He followed her into the bathroom, sitting on the toilet watching her apply make up.

“Why? You look beautiful you don’t need shit on your face.” he said simply.

She blushed tucking her tank top that said “I prefer the drummer” into her high waisted shorts “Sto-”

“Don’t say that Drellaa,” Mike said as he got up and wrapped his arms around her waist. He pressed his body into her back. “You are beautiful, shush. Take a compliment.”

“I don’t know how to take compliments Mikey,” she chuckled, leaning her head on his chest.

He placed his chin on her top of her head, “You file it into your part of your brain that says ‘compliments from your lovely boyfriend.”

Drella smiled “Oh that seems simple okay.” she grabbed her shoes out of his hands and broke from his grasp. She stood in the doorway grinning as she slipped on her heels.

“Awh look you are normal hight now,” Mike teased walking over to her.

He still was much taller than her, but it made it easier for him to kiss her. His lips tasted of cigarettes and butter from the popcorn he was munching on earlier. She bite his lip softly, the lip ring was between her teeth. She could feel him smirking against her lips.

“UGH, come one no making out in the doorway, I have to brush my teeth,” a voice said behind them, making them break apart. “Thank you,” David said, pushing into the bathroom.

Drella giggled and walked away, her heels clicking on the wooden floor. She stopped, sitting on the arm of the couch next to Tina was reading a book. Mike leaned on the doorway to the living room, smirking.

“You know if you keep that face, your face will get stuck like that,” Drella said, peaking her head over to what Tina was reading. “Whatcha reeeading?”

“Compilation of H.P Lovecraft,” the girl said, not looking up from her book.

Drella moved back into a normal posture “Oh he’s a wonderful writer,” she smiled and turned attention to her phone which was beeping. “Oh Vic is outside. DAVID GET YO ASS OUT HERE,” her voice become much much louder.

Tina put her book down and stood up. “Damn I forgot how loud you can be.” she laughed looking down at her pink haired friend. “Nice shirt.”

&&&

The drunk Jaime stumbled over to the two sober girls, or well at least one of them was sober. He sat down at the booth with the two girls. They stopped whispering, his sober cousin looked over at him, her face was flush. He couldn’t tell if it was from the heat of the club or something Tina had said to her. But he was too shitfaced to know or care.

“Hello ladies, How is the club treating you?” he said, slinging his arm around Tina, making her giggle.

Drella looked at her drunk friends, narrowing her eyes at the sight of them. Something was going on between them.

“Oh so wonderful! Everyone is so friendly!” Tina was the happy drunk.

“Oh that’s so wonderful!” Jaime said, imitating the girl he had in his arms. “And you dearest cousin! Why’st thou don’t have-st? a drink in thy hands?” Jaime was the goofy drunk. “Are you pregnant?”

Drella rolled her eyes “No Himes, I am not preggo, I’m getting a new medication tomorrow and it says I can’t have alcohol in my system before and after I take it.” she said, looking down at her empty can of red bull.

“OOH right, you’re getting your new wacko meds to keep you normal, I foorgot.” he said.

Drella drew in a breath, she began picking at the flesh around her nails. Her last boyfriend called her a wacko after she told him how her parents blamed her for her sisters death. He sided with her parents. Drella knew Jaime was drunk, but alcohol brought out the truth. She was hit with a sudden feeling of crushing sadness. There was a dip in the seat next to her, she felt someone wrap their arm around her waist. She looked over to see a tipsy Mike smirking at her. He leaned over to her, his forming beard brushing up against her skin of her neck.

“Hey babe, you want to dance?” he whispered in her ear.

If only he was a minute earlier, she probably would have said yes. She mentally cursed herself for letting her drunk cousin get to her. She shook her head, making his smile fade. Now she disappointed Mike, another wave of emotion hit her. She felt like she disappointed everyone.

“Awh babe why not?” he said, jetting out his lower lip.

“I don’t feel so good, I think I might head home,” and so the lies began.

He looked at her, his face showed concern “You don’t feel good? What’s wrong?”

“I just feel nauseas,” lie two.

She felt horrible for lying to Mike, but she couldn’t tell him the truth, not yet at least.

“Do you want me to take you home?”

“No Mike, go have fun. I’ll be fine,” she said, giving him a small smile.

“I really don’t mind though!”

“It’s fine. Celebrate the end of the tour with everyone,” she said as he got out of the booth, holding out a hand to help her up. She took it, he pulled her up quickly making her fall into his chest. She squeaked in surprise.

“Where you guys going?” Jaime slurred.

“Taking her outside,” Mike said, not looking away from Drellas eyes.

Jaime shrugged and went back to whispering with Tina.

“Mike I ca-” but her voice was lost in the music as he lead her through the sea of people.They found JOsh, the only sober one besides Drella, and told them she was going home. He told her to feel better before going back to talking with Tony. Mike and her were hit with a wall of fresh air as they walked out of the club. They stood underneath a street lamp, the light cast a shadow of them; Drella being consumed by Mike’s shadow. He turned to her.

“Are you sure you’ll be fine?” he was skeptical about what she said. He knew she wasn’t nauseous, but he knew something was up, he just couldn’t quite put his finger on it. The amount of whiskey he drank was affecting his thinking process.

She nodded, looking down at her shoes then back up at him “I’ll be fine Mike, you go have fun.” she whistled, hailing a cab, seeing as they all took Vic’s truck.

“I’ll see you when I get home, try to sleep Drella.” he took her face in his hands and leaned down. Giving her a soft kiss, before she sped off in a yellow car. He would need to find out what is up with her.

“Where to Miss?” the taxi driver asked.

She bit her lip, she didn’t want to go back to the apartment just yet. “Uhm can you bring me to King Park Cemetary?"

"Yes'm"