Just the Two of Us

The Alley way

“Shall we?”
“We shall.” Was all she said as she began walking towards the gate.
It was precisely thirty minutes to midnight, and the lights in the alley way had conveniently gone out. With a new moon scheduled for tonight, nobody could see us walking up the alley way and towards the gate, and that was good. What we were about to do … well … let’s just say my parents wouldn’t have approved. We arrived at the gate, and she waited for me to make the first move. I reached with my left hand towards my belt, and revealed my Heckler and Koch Mark 23. She did the same.
“Alright, here we go.” I whispered to her as I gently pushed open the gate, and slid through.
We were both wearing completely black clothing. Nearly skin tight pants and long-sleeve shirts, boots that we had or pant legs tucked into, and then ski masks that had been tucked into our shirts. We wouldn’t be accidentally catching any clothing on a door handle or an odd piece of furniture. We were here to do business, and we both knew our goals.
We slid silently around two corners in the alley way, slowly making our way towards the house which held the ultimate goal. When we got to the door, two body guards stood in our path.
“You want the once on the left, or the one on the right?” I asked her.
“I’ll take the one on the left.” She said, already moving into position to shoot.
I waited for him to look the other way briefly, then I slid into and out of the light that was showing from a window above me. I now had a perfect bead on the person outside the door, and I knew Kayla must have had at least as good a shot as I did.
Suddenly her voice came through the headset I was wearing. “On three okay?”
“Alright.”
“One, two, three.” And both of the men outside the door dropped.
Immediately we both broke cover, and began dragging them into a dark corner. Kayla moved quicker than I did and was at the door first, looking under with a mirror we had taken from our target’s car.
“It looks clear.” She said as she stood up and opened the door.
We both slid into the house, it had three stories, and neither of us knew what challenges we would face. As soon as the door had opened we were flooded with light. It was an entrance with a closet, and a place to hang your coat, ending with a corridor that disappeared to the right. I went to the corner and peeked around. All I could see was a staircase. Odd … I thought. All I had to do was nod and Kayla flipped the light switch on the wall.
We were again invisible. All had been going to plan, but then a voice sounded from upstairs.
“Hey … who turned off the lights. Is that you again Erik? I swear I’m gonna’ fucking kill you if you try and fuck with me again.”
I hugged the wall behind me even tighter, and Kayla slid across the floor to take cover behind a small dresser on the opposite wall. She had only just made it fully into cover when a beam of light shone down the staircase. A man began walking down the stairs. In his hands was an AK-47 (Because these guys wouldn’t have it any other way) with a flashlight attachment. He wore simple clothing, jeans and a tank top. Too easy. I thought.
He flinched, then leaned forward, then fell down the second half of the staircase. Kayla moved him into the closet and we continued up where he’d come from.
There was another door at the top of the staircase, and other than that it appeared to be a dead end. I arrived first this time, and so I dropped to my knees. I peeked with my mirror under the door to find that there was only one person in what appeared to be a very well lighted room. He paced around, and his expression showed he was bored more clearly then a pink neon sign would have communicated a place to buy food at midnight. I waited for him to begin pacing the other direction, and then I soundlessly eased the door open. I slid through and dove behind a counter. I now had to rely on Kayla. Behind the counter I had no idea whether or not he would be facing my direction. If he was, then when I decided to pop my head up for a shot he would have the quicker reaction time. Kayla waited behind the door, which she had now pulled back so it was nearly shut again. The signal was a single knock on the door, I had already adjusted and readied myself to spring up. Two knocks meant trouble. I heard the first knock, and was about to spring up when I heard a second knock follow. I just barely had the reaction to stay under cover when I realized that the assailant was only two feet to my left. Amazingly, he had not noticed me. I kicked at the back of his knees, and jumped up to cover his mouth. It the same fluid moment Kayla opened the door, causing it to smash into his hands and make the AK-47 drop harmlessly to the ground. She kicked it away as I got a better grip on the person who must have figured out that his life was soon to end.
“Who … who are you?” He gasped at me.
“I think I’ll ask the questions here. Where’s Raul?”
“I don’t know … I swear I don’t know. They never told me. They just told me to watch this room. Oh no … you’re those cell people aren’t you? Those ones that everybody always talks about? You’re not going to kill me are you?”
“That depends … I may not kill you if you tell me what I need to know.”
“I’ll tell you anything … anything at all. Just ask.”
“Then where’s Raul!” I gave him a little shove and tightened my grip around his neck … still, his determination held out on me.
“I told you I don’t know man! They didn’t tell me anything.”
I walked him over to the counter and slammed his head down into it. Kayla’s gun followed the motion and landed with force on his temple, causing blood to begin to drain from his hairline.
“I’m going to ask you again. Where’s Raul?”
“I’m sorry man, I don’t know!”
Next I walked him over to the lamp. I slammed it down onto his face. The glass shards imbedding themselves in his skin and taking on a red tint. The copper wire from the lamp burning a rather interesting patter into his forehead.
“I’ll give you one last chance. Where is he?”
“Okay, okay! Raul is in the conference room on the third floor. It’s at the very end of the building.” And that was his last sentence as I relieved him of the pain he was so very clearly in. As his body went limp I didn’t bother to stop it from hitting the floor, Kayla hit the lights, and then we continued on.
We had walked down a corridor and arrived at the end of it. It opened to a huge gathering area with a quite magnificent chandelier. All I had to do was look at Kayla to know she had the same crazy plan that I did. She just didn’t have the idea of waiting for me to confirm it. In one fluid motion she brought her arm up, and then the chandelier came crashing down, plummeting the entire place into darkness.
“Whoa! What the fuck was that?”
“Shit! I don’t know man.”
The voices of the (obviously unintelligent) bodyguards filled the room. Flashlight beams soon followed. The ensuing chaos made it quite easy for Kayla and I to eliminate all the guards.
We began counting and moving the bodies, when suddenly Kayla turned to me “Hey … weren’t there six guards?”
“I think so, why?”
“Because … I only count five bodies.” I looked up at her. We shared the same expression, and for just a moment neither of us knew what to do.
“Let’s get this over with quickly then.” I said as I ran across the gathering space and towards the short stairway on the other end, Kayla hot on my heels. We reached the door at the top and could clearly hear shouting on the other side.
“What do you mean ambushed? How can you be ambushed on the second floor of a private building!”
“I don’t know man! The lights went out and then suddenly everyone just died.”
“Do you at least know who did it?”
“No … There had to be at least five of them. Maybe more. Its like they were everywhere.”
There was a shout of anger from the other side of the door, and then suddenly Kayla grabbed my arm.
“We have to do something quickly, otherwise they’re gonna’ call for backup.”
I only nodded, and broke the nearby window. I could have told her my plan, but she was smart and time was short. I swung out onto the thin out hang that bordered the building on all sides. Moving sideways along side it, I positioned myself directly outside the window that I could see people through. Raul was the first to catch my eye. I reached down towards my belt again, and this time removed two M67 grenades. In the same moment I raised my arm to throw them through the window, I noticed that Kayla was outside on the out hang with me. She had been busy setting up our rappel line back down to the ground some 20 feet below. I threw the grenades at the window, sending them shattering into the room; not very discreet true … but effective enough to get the job done. I climbed through the window, and shot two more assailants who were busy trying to re-orient themselves after the blast. I took a picture of the half dismembered Raul with my camera, and then I ran back to the window to re-join Kayla on the ground. That was when I realized it wasn’t over yet.
Apparently we’d missed one, a man was standing below and had Kayla by her neck. She saw me in the window, and hit the man in the stomach just quickly enough to throw off his shot at me. In one moment I heard five bullets hit the top frame of the very same window I was standing in. In the next moment I leveled my Mark 23 with the guards head, and flexed my finger. The man went limp, releasing Kayla and falling backwards onto the pavement. I rappelled down the side of the building and returned Kayla her weapon.
“Are you alright?”
“What took you so long?”
“This” I said as I showed her the picture of Raul’s bloody body.
“So … the contracts complete then?”
“Yeah … let’s get out of here.”
“Agreed” She said as we both quickened our pace to a run. Apparently people had seen the explosion and heard the gunfire, because sirens were growing louder with every second.
We ran back the same three blocks we had come from, and met up with our transport.
“I was thinking you two weren’t going to show up.” Said Alyssa, as we both slid into the back of the black BMW.
“Don’t worry we made it.” I answered as I removed my ski mask, and took out the ear piece I’d been wearing.
“Whatever happened to silent?” Alyssa asked
“There were some complications. Don’t worry, we got him; Raul is no more.” Kayla answered from the seat next to me.
After a few silent moments Kayla turned to me.
“You know she isn’t going to think this is impressive right?”
“When did I ever say anything about her?”
“I’m just making sure you know.”
And with that, Alyssa drove the three of us out into the night, our contract complete.