The Zombie Apocalypse Diary

Chapter 6

October 31, 2012

It's going to sound like you're reading a scary story from this point on. I'm quickly writing this while Kegan and Mason look for tools. It's almost dark, we needed to make sure everything was secure. We're staying at the bonded up house across the street from my house, it was the best we could do in the amount of time we had. I'm getting ahead of myself, I'll start from the beginning.

I was at school dressed in my costume and sitting in class. My friend, Shelly, wasn't in class today so I was bored. I decided to ask my teacher to go to the bathroom. I wasn't really going to the bathroom, I'd walk around the hallways coming back just in time to grab my stuff and leave for my next period.

The security guards were no where to be seen (as usual) and it was quiet. It's a little weird since most of the time I'm in the hallway its so loud you can barely hear yourself think. The guards really
suck at their jobs.

I put my ear buds in as I walked towards the library which was at the back of the school listening to the songs on my iPod. I turned and walked past the library, then the 1100 hall and turned again walking down the main hallway. I don't consider it a hallway since there are no walls, but that's what everyone calls it. I stopped about halfway through the main hall and looked at the time. I only spent about ten minutes away from class, I was going to have to start walking slower.

When I looked up I noticed that there were two people down the hallway. One guy who was wearing a suit was on his knees leaning over the top half of a guy laying on the ground. I knew the guy on the ground was actually a dude because his pants were well below his ass, I mean I saw his boxers. I don't understand why guys like to show their boxers to everyone.

I paused my iPod and pulled out my ear buds. I wrapped the cord around it, put it in my pocket, then walked towards the guy. I stopped about five feet from him, I heard munching sounds coming from him almost like he was eating, but what the hell would he be eating?

"Uh, Sir? Can I help you with something?" I asked, being the polite person I am.

He didn't respond.

"Sir?" I said, again tapping his shoulder.

The guy slowly got up, like he was having trouble doing it and turned to face me. My eyes widened as I quickly look between the guy laying down and the guy facing me. Suit guy's eyes were dim, as if no one was there and blood covered his mouth and dripped onto his white shirt. Half of his calf had a huge chunk missing, I could even see some of the bone...

The person on the ground was dead and had chunks of flesh missing from his face, throat and arms. I recognized him as Lloyd Smith, I never liked him, but I felt sorry for him.

My attention snapped back to the cannibal when he started to growl at me. It reminded me of the monsters in I Am Legend with Will Smith, he staggered towards me and my instincts kicking in. I wasn't going to be another meal for this shithead.

I kicked him in the stomach, he tripped over his meal and landed painful oh his stomach, hitting his head on the concrete. That would have kept a normal person down for a little bit, but he was already starting to get up.

I did the reasonable thing-I ran. I ran like a coward and as fast as I could. I ran into the 800 hallway and slipped on the linoleum, I didn't fall, but it slowed me down.

As I slammed out of the hallway, heading towards the stairs that lead to the portables. I bounded down the stair without really seeing anything, but the moaning and groaning snapped me out of my own world and into this cold reality.

Towards the lower middle section of the stairs was my freshman P.E. teacher Mr.. Anthony. Normally I'd be all like "zombies or some shit are in the main hallway munching on Lloyd's face!" but he
was one. There was a huge blood stain on his shirt, but his shirt wasn't ripped or anything.

His eyes were blank like the other guy's, but Mr. Anthony's skin was grey. I didn't understand how he looked more like a zombie than the guy eating someone, maybe it was just the Mr. Anthony had been one longer.

He noticed me and got excited, trying to climb the stairs faster than his dead body would allow. I wasn't scared, the adrenaline wasn't letting me think about getting scared. It wasn't going to let me think about the way the human race was becoming almost extinct, leaving only this new dominate species.

I walked towards him, making sure to stay out of biting and scratching range. Then I kicked him square in the flabby chest, holding on to the railing so I wouldn't lose my balance and go tumbling after him.

His feet came off the ground, then he landed on his head on one of the steps and began tumbling down them. When he hit the ground he wasn't moving, I silently hoped that he wouldn't get up. I wanted the same rules that applied to us, applied to them. He started moving so I jumped over him and headed to class.

I busted into the class, breathing heavily and my hearts was pounding in my ears. Everyone stared at me, but I ignored them and walked right past them to my seat in the far back, hear the window.

"Charlie, you need to go to the office. We all just saw you kick coach Anthony down the stairs!" Mr. Hart told me.

"It doesn't matter. Mr. Anthony's dead." People looked at me like I said I was Jack the Ripper.

"Y-you killed him?" Anna stuttered.

"No, he was already dead."

"What do you mean?" Mr. Hart asked,

"He is-I know this sounds crazy but its true- a zombie." Everyone laughed, except for Mason and Kegan, who I sat next to.

They could see the blood specks on the costume and my wide eyed expression. You can usually tell when someone is lying and I wasn't.

"Charlotte, this Halloween joke is unexceptionable- I'm writing you a referral." He said, like a referral meant anything now.

"Go a-fucking-head. When a zombie walks through that door and eats your face don't come to me crying-" As I said that the door opened and Mr. Anthony walked in.

"Coach, Charlotte had the most fascination tale about you- wait, why are you looking at me like that?" Anthony stumbled towards Mr. Hart, grabbing his shoulders, opening his mouth, and taking a huge bite of his neck. Hart screamed for help and just screamed. My eyes widened and I wish I didn't see something as gore as that.

It was silent as Mr. Hart became silent and fell to the ground. When his body made a thud on the floor and the monster leaned over to eat the rest of his flesh, everybody screamed and rushed out the door. Shoving and pushing each other to get the hell out of there. Kegan and Mason stayed behind. Probably because it wasn't a good idea to follow the screaming kids drawing attention to themselves, but they looked at me expectantly.

In every class is a tub container filled with things you might need if we had to stay in the classrooms for an unexpected reason. I popped the lid off of it. Inside was twenty Ready-to-Eat meals that the military usually eats and a couple of water bottles. This wouldn't have been enough for more than a day stuck in here. I grabbed those and put them on my desk. I grabbed my backpack and took out everything but a notebook and filled it with the food and bottles.

"Come on, we need to get to higher ground." The walker was busy eating Mr. Hart, but we had to hurry and still be quiet. If we caught his attention we were dead.

I grabbed a baseball bat from some baseball players bag, put it in my bag, then opened the window. The windows had bars on them, but there was a switch inside that popped it open. Once it was opened, I looked outside, no one was paying any attention to me. With the few zombies out, they were occupied with the screaming children.

I put my food on the window and carefully stood on it and turned to face the building. I pulled myself up and called for them to follow me. Once they were up, I asked one of them to hold my waist as I leaned over to close the gate. I didn't know if zombies could climb, but I didn't want to find out.

We looked around and it was. . . quiet, but it was almost as if school was normal, like we should be in class normal. The only reason I knew everything was not normal was that there were bodies everywhere you looked.

On the stairs was a red-headed girl laying on her back on the stairs. Even from this distance I could see blood spilling from her wound somewhere, collecting into a puddle and spilling down the stairs. On the trail heading to the locker rooms was another dead person, I couldn't tell if it was a guy or girl, but somebody was leaning over them enjoying the free meat. It was almost as if the zombies had panned this, so that no one got out. They just kept adding to their population.

"Is this a dream?" Kegan asked, I shook my head.

"I don't know, but I don't think so," I told him. "We need a plan. Any second the principal is going to announce that we need to evacuate to a safe location. If he does that a lot of people are going to die, plus we'll be stuck until they let us go."

They just looked at me. I guess they expected to just follow me. I wasn't all the worried about my family. They were at a military base, probably a couple miles underground with at least five years worth of food, but I still wanted to call.

"Okay, does anyone have a car close by?" I had my license. but no car. Plus I lived pretty close to the school, like eight or ten blocks away.

"I live right behind the school, kind of by the tennis courts. My truck is over there," Mason said, quietly.

"Alright here's what we'll do-" I started.

"Students and staff," The principal's gruff voice said, urgently. "Please move, quickly and quietly to the large gym. Do not approach anyone who looks wounded or is lying on the ground or anyone stumbling. Quickly get to the- who let you in? No, get you paws off of me!" Then there was just screaming of a man in pain. He never turned off the intercom so we heard how he died pleading for help that never came.

"Oh shit. . . "Mason said, then all hell broke loose.

"Lay down, stay low. If anyone notices us they might attract zombies to us, then we're dead," I whispered.

People ran out of the classrooms and hallways screaming, heading to the main exits. Trying to get to their cars. They didn't care if the push someone down the stairs as long as the got out. People we getting into fights, breaking windows, stealing shit. It was just--
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took me so long to update!