The Zombie Apocalypse Diary

Chapter 8

Horrible. It was just horrible... these kids were taking revenge on their teachers and falling into traps, becoming a walking corpse. I rolled over and watched the sky when I heard the screaming of my friend TJ. He tripped running from a couple of them. They surrounded him and ripped him apart. I couldn't watch, so I waited for it to be quiet.

"Alright. Here's the plan, we're going to quickly run across the portables to the back of the school, then head over to Mason's," I told them.

"Why don't we just hop down now and make a run for it?" Mason asked, quietly.

"On the steps, in the hallways, and in front of us are a lot of dead and soon-to-be-dead. We jump down now, they might notice us, then we're running for our lives. And one of us will most likely die. Let's go."

We got up and ran across the classroom's roofs. We stopped at the last one and I looked ahead. The gate all the way in the back, that separated the school from 14th street was locked. I expected as much since it was fifth period.

The place was deserted, like it usually is. I sat on the ledge, turned around and slowly lowered myself down, then let go and dropped the remaining couple of feet. Kegan and Mason followed my example. Once they were down we ran to the end of the way. It was past the last baseball field, the 1100 hall, and the tennis courts.

Ms. Lopez was dragging a cart filled with soccer balls, footballs, Frisbees, and tennis balls with the tennis rackets. She was cursing holder her side. I could see a little blood that was seeping through her tight white t-shirt.

"Hey, what are you kids doing back here?!" she yelled.

"We were told you were back here- your car is being towed," I told her. She wouldn't believe us if we said zombies were roaming the campus.

"Thanks, can you take this car to my office in the girls' locker room?"

"No problem," I told her and she sprinted off to her car.

I grabbed two tennis rackets and handed them to the guys. Hey, it's better than nothing. We ran to the fence, and I searched the area for hidden zombies on our side and on the other side. So far so good.

"Can you guys give me a boost?" I looked at Kegan suspiciously. "Don't bother looking up my skirt, I'm wearing shorts under this."

They cupped their hands and I climbed onto the top, straddling it, then I dropped down. They started climbing, as they were doing that I took out my baseball bat and watched for them. You could never be too careful.

"Where's your house, Mason?" I asked once he landed on the ground.

He pointed to a pale yellow house across the street. It had a while picket fence and two cars in the drive way. One silver BMW and a white Ford truck. The door was wide open, which wasn't a good sign.

"Before we go over there, we have to be careful. The doors are wide open, which means anything that eats human could be in there. If your parents aren't there we're raiding your house for food. You'll need clothes. See if anything you or your dad has that would fit Kegan. If you have any better weapons in the house, get them. Be very aware of your surrounding, in case one pops out of nowhere, got it?" I asked them, they nodded and we quickly went to the house.

Mason and Kegan went in first, I looked back at the school. You could hear random screams from the kids and teachers who didn't leave. I wondered if anyone, besides us, got out. I went inside as Mason was coming out of the hallway.

"I couldn't find them, so I don't think they're home," he said, looking at the ground.

"Okay," I closed the front front door and locked the top lock and closed the blinds. "Mason, do you have any extra backpacks? Like two?"

"Yeah, probably in my closet."

"Alright, you go find those. Use one for yourself and give one to Kegan. I'm going to raid your kitchen while you do that."

I looked around and saw a chair and part of a table and figured that was the dinning room, so the kitchen would be around there. I was right. I set my backpack and baseball bat on the counter.

In the cabinets were canned beans, peaches, three Campbell's chicken noodle soups, Ritz crackers, Oreos, and Froot Loops. The fridge was full of water, Gatorade, and fruits. I put the drinks on the counter, then at the last minute I decided to grab all the fruit and the cheese. I knew that with these we'd have to eat these first if this lasted any longer than I hoped.

I filled my backpack with everything I could, only some drinks and the fruit was left. Mason came into the kitchen holding and black backpack and Kegan had a pink Barbie one.

"Don't you say a thing," Kegan warned me. I held up my hands, holding in a laugh.

We put the rest of the food in their bags and Mason went to get his keys. He yelled that he found them and we grabbed all of our stuff and followed Mason to the front door. As Mason opened the front door a man and woman were standing there. The woman was missing some of her left torso and her left arm, the man looked fine except for the blood on his face, around his mouth. They growled, then lunged at Mason, he was barely holding the guy off as the woman put her weight onto the man. Kegan looked at me with a wide-eyed expressing.

I dropped my backpack and hit the woman's head three times until there was a dent in her head. I, then quickly stuck the man until he stopped trying to eat us all. I pushed the re-dead bodies off of Mason and helped him up. He had blood splattered across his face, I didn't even want to know what I looked like. He stared at the dead bodies.

"Were they you-" I started.

"Yeah. Let's get the hell out of here," he said, hollowly as he picked up his bag and went out the front door.

Mason was sitting in the drivers seat, starring off into oblivion as I opened the passenger door and hopped inside. I sat in the middle. Kegan buckled his seat belt, then looked at us.

"Aren't you guy's going to put yours on?" I shrugged, Mason didn't say anything as he started his truck.

Mason back out of the drive way and followed my directions to my house. I looked over at the school as we drove by, it looked normal, like all the kids were still learning. I looked back towards the road. We were all silent, not even the radio was on. I'm pretty sure we were all too afraid to hear what they had to say, but it's going to be unavoidable.

Then someone screamed, breaking our silence. I looked back at the school and saw two people running from a herd of undead classmates. The people had a good head start and zombies didn't seem to run, just walk fast.

"Stop!" I smacked Mason on the arm. He quickly pressed on the breaks and I hopped over Kegan to get out.

I climbed in the back of the truck as the people were climbing the gates. I instantly recognized the two girls. April had long brown hair that was always in a pony tail. She was a know-it-all. The other girl was Sierra, who was a quiet, pudgy girl who wore mostly black baggy clothing.

"April! Over here!" I yelled waving my arms.

April easily hopped off the gate and landed on her feet as Sierra reached the top. Unfortunately the zombies reach the gate as Sierra had gotten to the top. They grabbed onto the bottom of her pants and with that there is good news and bad news.

The bad news is it caused her to fall, the good news it caused her to fall on the safe side of the fence. She landed painfully on her ass, though. April helped her up and they ran to the truck. The zombies pushed against the gate. April quickly climbed inside and I stuck out my hand to help Sierra up.

As I pulled her up, the gate fell down and they started rushing towards us. I used all my strength to quickly pull her into the truck, then as soon as she was in I hit the roof of the truck.

"Go! Turn left at the stop sign!" I yelled.

Mason stepped on the gas causing me to stumble into April. As he turned left Kegan opened the window in the middle so I could talk to them without yelling.

"Turn onto 18th street, then head towards downtown. Just in case their hearing is really good, we want to confuse the." Kegan looked at me, raising an eyebrow. "You'll be thanking me when all those monsters don't surround you and eat your smug face!"

I sat down with my back towards the guys. I studied the girls as they studied me.

"Welcome to hell."