Angels and Monsters

La Tua Cantante

It was a beautiful day. The sun scorched over the town of Volterra. The skies were aqua blue and there was not a cloud in sight. There was a slight breeze , which spread the smell of freshly baked bread, ladies’ perfume and children’s sweets across the ancient town. All these factors drew in tourists from all around the deepest corners of Tuscany. This was perfect for one lady in particular. Her chocolate hair was swept over her pale shoulder and she was searching for her prey. Not just hers but her entire covens. She approached several families and because of her uncommon gift they could not refuse accompanying her to their deaths. She had attracted a large crowd when the clock struck 12 , she smiled widely happy with the selection she had chosen. Among them was a young couple , holding writing journals , pen in hand except in the woman’s was a petite infant. The newborn wrapped in blankets let out a small giggle; her way of acknowledging that she was happy. Heidi led the victims to their fate, through the large stone archway , up a few steps , there was a collection of oohs and ahhs and Heidi speed up knowing her masters would be itching for their lunch. She approached a set of dark doors, a smirk on her face , she pushed the doors widely open and was welcomed by her coven.

Among the large group of powerful vampires was a young man with dark hair and dark eyes , exceptionally dark eyes as it had been over a week since he had a meal and he was restless and angry and craving the rouge liquid. He heard his leader , Aro say to the startled crowd who were now locked in “Welcome to Volterra”, and then panic started. He ran with his vampire speed to a family he sank his teeth into each of them , draining their corpses of blood. He then saw out of the corner of his reddening eye a family hiding in the corner, he ran to them and sunk his teeth into the man , his wife watched horrified at the sight of her husband and child’s father being killed by a cruel boy. The boy in question finished the man and then moved onto the woman , as he was refuelling himself, a smell so intoxicating wafted past his nose. He dropped the woman on the floor and found the source of the beautiful irresistible smell , on the stone floor next to the woman was a baby girl sleeping peacefully , unaware of the chaos happening around her. Alec had never wanted a human’s blood more in that moment, but there was something stopping him from taking it , as he bent to pick her up the sleeping angel , the girl’s mother weakly shouted out “Don’t touch her, you monster.” Alec paid no attention to her and looked closely at the baby in his arms , she seemed to realise she had been moved , for slowly she began to open her big blue eyes and Alec could only stare back , she was beautiful , so beautiful and not just her blood. “Her name is Adeline Grace” the mother said from the floor , Alec smiled down at the baby in his arms ‘my Adeline’ he thought to himself ‘my beautiful Adeline’. “Take care of her for me” the mother said
“I will” He replied back , as he watched Adeline’s mother take her final breath.

The large hall was now quieting down and he heard footsteps come towards him , he turned to see his twin sister rushing towards him , she was looking curiously at the baby in Alec‘s arms , “Alec what are you doing?” he could not answer her for a moment for he was staring at his little angel yawning “Jane , I’m going to need your help, if the time comes we need to run” He whispered to her , her eyes widened “We’re going to leave for her?” She asked disgusted, he looked at her pleadingly “Please”
“Fine.” He felt a little relived , at least Jane would support him. He could feel Aro’s eyes on him, “Alec is there a problem?” He heard the voice of Aro and he turned to him “I can’t” he said quietly , looking down at his now sleeping angel. “Can’t what? Destroy a little baby?” Aro said with a little laugh, when he realised Alec was not joking he grabbed his hand sharply and after a few minutes let go of his hand with a grasp. “La Tua cantante” he whispered under his breath, but the others heard him and slowly a circle was forming around the three of them “Alec either kill her now or someone else will do it”, Alec for the first time since he and Jane were being burned was feeling genuine fear “No” Aro looked shocked at being refused “Excuse me?”
“I will not kill her and if any one else does I will kill myself”
“Alec you are not thinking of the consequences of your actions , give her to your sister who will-” but he was interrupted by his brother “Aro let her live,”
“Marcus what is it?” He asked eagerly
“If you kill that child , then you will lose Alec and possibly Jane as well” Aro looked startled at this news. “But how can this be?” Aro asked “She is only his La Tua Cantante”
“She is more , so much more , look at him , he will not let any of you near her, he is risking his entire life for the child , Aro even you must see the boy is in love with her” Aro looked at the two people to which Marcus was just addressing . He gathered his brothers and they spoke in rushed Italian about the fate of the child after a few minutes of nervous waiting they came to a decision “We have come to a decision” Alec’s heart was pounding , he did not know if he would be able to cope if she was taken away from him. He had barley know her five minutes but he still knew he would not be happy if she was not in his life . “The girl may stay” , his heart rose , his Adeline would be here with him and she was safe “But there are certain conditions, one she is not to leave this castle , we cannot risk her revealing our secret, second she will be turned when she turns 18.” That bit Alec didn’t like, she would only get 18 years before she was turned into a monster, not that his little angel could be a monster but she would still have to kill, her soul would permanently damaged. “Can’t you give her some more time, please?” Alec pleaded. “Alec I have made my decision , if you do not agree to these terms then well I think you know what happens.” Alec merely nodded , looking down at his angel , he vowed to himself that he would love her unconditionally , he would protect her from harm and make her few precious years as a human being the best ones of life.
And thus begins the dangerous story of Adeline Grace Volturi …