Angels and Monsters

Mummy ?

Maria awoke from her day dreams by the sound of a harsh cry , she got up , dusted herself of and walked down the hallway to a large bedroom , she opened the door to see the golden haired Adeline awaking from her sleep. Maria had been called three weeks ago by the young Viola to take care of a young baby girl in Volterra . She had heard the rumours of who lived in Volterra and almost refused straight away but when she heard the word baby, she was startled and enquired why a baby was being kept in a castle of vampires , Viola only answered “All we be explained when you arrive.” The girl did not give Maria a chance to say no and the next morning a plane ticket from Palermo to Volterra arrived in the post for the next day . Maria packed up all the stuff in one suitcase , she had no children or a husband to take care off , so when the time came for her to board the plane , she was ready to embark on this new adventure , even it just meant keeping a little child safe from a group of hideous monsters. She was collected from the airport by a girl with caramel hair and large emerald eyes “I’m Viola , we spoke on the phone.” Maria nodded at her and followed her into a black Ferrari , they began to drive and Maria began to fire questions at her “Why was I called? Where are the child’s parents? Why are you keeping her?” Viola put up a hand to stop her , “Those questions would be best directed to my masters , but considering they have instructed me to get you up to scratch , so you were called because you are known as a great nanny and house keeper and a baby is in need of a carer , the girl’s parents are dead and one of the people I work for has fallen in love with the child”
“That’s disgusting she’s barley a year old” Maria said horrified,
“Sorry, I didn’t explain it properly , he loves her as a daughter or sister.”
“Oh” Maria said sinking into her chair “Is he one of you?” She asked . “No I’m human he is a vampire”
“Well then why are you working there , if you know what they do?” Viola smirked and then Maria understood “You want to be one of them” she breathed,
“Today is not to talk about me , now you are to look after Adeline , put her before yourself at all costs , not to ask questions , do as my masters want and remain quiet , understood?” There was no way of turning back so Maria answered “Of course, her names pretty”
“Yes well a pretty name for a pretty girl” She said as they pulled up to a large Italian castle. They got out of the car and Maria got out her suitcase and followed Viola through large doors, down a few flights of stair cases and Viola pointed to a desk and said “This is where I work, if you need anything come and find me there”. They then went down a few more staircases until they came to a long hall , where windows were absent and paintings had replaced them , they turned to the left and were now in a thinner corridor , there was only two doors , one at the end of the corridor and one on their immediate right. Viola knocked on the door and waited for a deep voice to reply “yes”, the two women entered the room. The room was plain and large , a bookcase stood in one corner and a cot in another , there was also another door , which Maria assumed went to ensuite bathroom and by a large window , where the curtains were drawn was a boy who looked only 18 with brown hair and scarlet eyes in his arms he held protectively a little girl with sapphire blue eyes and golden hair . “Alec this is Maria , the woman who’s going to look after Adeline” Viola said quietly , it was obvious that the green eyed girl was scared of her superiors , Alec did not look at Maria but said to Viola “Have you interviewed her ? Checked her background ?”
“Yes master” she quivered. He nodded at her and said annoyed “Go then”, she immediately nodded and ran out of the room. Alec said nothing to Maria for a few moments, just smiled down at Adeline who was smiling up at him , he then went and put her into her crib. “Sorry about her , she’s a bit dim sometimes” he said to her , he tucked his hands into his pockets and then looked at her “Adeline is very special to me and if anything happens to her , and I mean anything , I will hold you fully responsible, now I’m not happy about having someone I don’t know looking after her but I don’t have time to look after ,so that’s why you’re here”
“I will treat her as if she was my own”
“Good , now I’ll show you we’re you’ll be staying” He said taking one more look at Adeline and then motioned for them to leave the room , he walked ahead of her and they came to the door at the end of the corridor , Alec opened the door to reveal a large kitchen and he turned to her and said “You are to make all of Adeline’s meals , you are to clean her room, wash and dress her and you are not to tell her what we are”
“Of course , but won’t she work it out for self”
“I hope not, you see Adeline has 17 years left before she’s turned .. Turned” he couldn’t finish the sentence , he was so angry. “Into one of you” Maria finished for him , horrified
“Yes and so I want you to make her few precious humans years enjoyable as possible, believe me I don’t want this for her and it makes me just as sick as it makes you” he said sadly , they both remained silent for a few minutes. He then turned and pointed to a door behind them “That’s your room, now I have to go now , so I am going to say goodbye to Adeline and then she’s your responsibility , come” he said and began to walk back to Adeline’s room. He went over to her crib , picked her up and hugged her closely and whispered “I love you so much , I have to go now but I’ll be back later angel” he kissed her forehead and reluctantly handed her into Maria’s arms.

In the three weeks Maria had been here , Adeline had received many visitors , the wives Sulpicia
and Athenodora doted on the little child , Heidi admired her beauty , Aro would just sit in her room and gaze at her longing for her to be immortal, Marcus favoured the child out of the three brothers the most and could not wait to begin educating her ,but that would not take place for two more years, Caius was not fussed about her, Viola would buy thousands of dresses and Jane even though she despised children had a soft spot for Adeline that no one could understand. And Alec he was utterly devoted to her , he would stay in her room every night watching over, protecting her and watched his little angel grow. Maria loved the little child and did everything Alec had asked , she enjoyed watching her learning to crawl and then teaching her to walk and seeing her happy face light up when Alec was around. Maria had been at the Volturi for nearly six months when Adeline shocked them all , Alec had come to her room at six that night just as he was always did, when he put her in his cot , he turned to go and sit in his chair when he heard “Alec” , the sound was so beautiful that Alec was thinking that he must of dreamt it. He got up and went to Adeline’s crib where she was standing up , a huge smile on her face “What did you just say?” he asked quietly
“Alec, Alec , Alec” she said cheerily , Alec laughed happily and picked her up and spun her around. She giggled and hugged him closely. “You clever, clever girl” he chuckled.

By the time she was three years old , she had an extensive range of vocabulary , but one night she was lost for words. Alec , Jane and Demetri were sent on a mission , the first Alec had gone on since Adeline’s arrival for he did not like to leave her alone. It was a difficult goodbye on both sides, the three year old looked up at the boy she loved and adored. Alec looked down at the little girl who’s now very long blonde hair was in a plait behind her back and she was dressed in a long sleeved navy dress. Her big blue eyes looked up at him full of sadness and he immediately felt very guilty, “How long will you be gone?” she managed to get out, Alec’s dead heart broke into a million little pieces “I don’t know it won’t be long though” trying not to hurt his little Adeline. “Do you promise?” she asked him a tear escaping her eye , Alec held his arms out for her and she immediately ran into them and broke into tears , he stroked her hair and held her tight , he said “I promise, I’ll be back before you know it , I love you”
“Love you too.”
“Alec lets go” Jane said “Goodbye Adeline” she waved at the small child and Alec said his final good bye “Be good for Maria and I’ll see you soon” he kissed her forehead and sadly departed. Adeline waved him off until he was out of sight , she felt Maria tug at her hand and say “Come on Adeline lets go get you some dinner.” She followed Maria to the kitchen and after dinner , returned to her bedroom , which was now contained a big bed , two desk side tables, a large wardrobe and by her bed Alec’s chair. Once Maria had helped her get changed , she clambered into bed, Maria bent down and kissed her temple and said “buona sera il piccolo angelo” and then left her alone. Her room seemed darker that night , colder , scarier more scarier than Caius. She could not sleep that night, she was petrified by nightmares of monsters killing her , she screamed and the whole castle heard her shrill castles. Maria sprinted to Adeline’s room , to see the little girl shaking and sweating in her bed. She bent down next to her bed and took the little girl’s hand trying to sooth her , “Alec , I want Alec” she cried and cried into Maria’s shoulder. Every night for the next 14 days did her nightmares occur, and only when she found out some very good news on a sunny morning did she relax “Alec is coming home today sweetie” Maria told her over breakfast, a smile immediately appeared on her pale face. The day seemed to drag on , Maria bathed her , brushed her hair and picked out a black dress for the excitable child. She could not play with her many toys that Viola and Alec had bought for her for she was too excited about Alec’s return , she was to be in the throne room to welcome them back and so Heidi came to collect her from her bedroom , as they walked down the long corridor Heidi asked her “Are you excited about Alec coming home?” Adeline looked up at her and nodded with a big smile on her face . They reached the two large doors , Adeline had never been in this room before and the high ceilings and expensive stone made her eyes go wide in wonder. “Adeline how delightful for you to join us” She heard Aro say to her, she said what Alec had taught her to say “Good afternoon master” with a sweet smile. She stood holding Heidi’s hand nervously. Within three minutes the doors were opened to reveal Demetri, Jane and lastly Alec. His eyes searched for his little angel , Adeline saw his scarlet eyes and she ran to him. He saw her run towards him , he chuckled and picked her and spun her around. She hugged tightly around his neck and he kissed her head and said “I’ve missed you so much”
“I’ve missed you too.” He turned his head to Aro and said “ May I be excused master?”
“Of course, of course” he said with a wave of his hand. And so Alec took Adeline’s hand and they left the large throne room. She skipped alongside him as they made their way to the kitchen , where they found Maria finishing Adeline’s dinner , she turned to them and said “It’s good to see you back Alec , somebody has missed you a lot.”
“Thank you , its good to be back.” Maria placed Adeline’s dinner in front of her and Alec pulled her onto his lap as she ate. “So what have you been doing while I was away angel?” he asked Adeline, she stayed quiet and Alec panicked , his eyes turned to Maria’s “What’s happened?” he asked. Maria hesitated before answering “When you were away Adeline , she had trouble sleeping , she well , she had-”
“The monsters were coming to get me” She said to Alec , burying her face in his chest. Alec immediately stiffened , deeply angered by the thought of his angel having nightmares. “No one’s going to hurt you , I promise” He said hugging her close. “Adeline why don’t you go and get your pyjamas on , Alec will be in a minute” Maria said , Adeline hugged Alec and then jumped of his lap and thanked Maria fro her dinner and the departed the room. Alec whipped round to face Maria “What else happened?”
“She was in a sort of hysteria every night, she cried, she shook , she screamed and kept saying ‘ Alec, I want Alec’ I tried everything but nothing stopped her , I’m sorry”
“Its ok” Of course it wasn’t ok , Alec felt so guilty for putting Adeline through that , she was only three years old for god sakes, he slammed his fist through the table , which bent in two and crumpled to the floor. “Sorry I was angry” he breathed
“Its ok I’ll clear it up , you go to Adeline.” Maria smiled at him , and he nodded in thanks and then rushed to Adeline’s room , he knocked and she shouted “Yeah”. He went into her room and found her already in bed “Have you brushed your teeth?” She nodded “And your hair?” she nodded. He went over to his chair and was about to turn her light out when she asked “Can you tell me a story?”
“Ok what’s the story about?” he asked , he had never done this before
“I don’t know , that’s what you’re supposed to come up with” she said her eyelashes fluttering. “Ok , once upon time there was a beautiful princess , who lived in a huge castle” he paused for a second and looked over Adeline who was already asleep , he chuckled to himself and kissed her head and whispered “Buona sera il mio angelo perfetto.” He took out one of his books that he kept in her room and began to read. That night Adeline sleep peacefully and no monsters interrupted her dreams.

Adeline began receiving tutoring from Marcus , he taught her Italian , English, Spanish and French, she learnt her letters and numbers, and began reading , she learnt of world history and how to paint and her favourite lesson piano. The Volturi had a large piano room which was complete with a grand piano. Whenever she was not learning with Marcus , she spent all her time in the piano room and for a five year old was exceptional. In the two years that had passed Alec loved her even more every day , and hated himself even more for it was one day closer to her becoming immortal. And a day came when he hated himself more than anything else, he was tucking Adeline into bed when she asked him “Alec where are my mummy and daddy?” This is what he had been dreading for the past four years, he closed his eyes and took a long breath in and said “Adeline , your parents loved you so much , but they had to go away and they can’t come back , I’m so sorry , you have no idea how sorry I am”
“Why did they leave? Did I do something wrong?” She asked sadly , Alec hated seeing her this upset , he sat on the bed next to her “Adeline you did nothing wrong , what happened to your parents was never your fault”
“But why did they leave?”
“They didn’t want to leave you , they loved you so much.” She nodded and cuddled into his side , “What did they look like?” Alec cast his mind back to that deadly day “Well your daddy had dark brown hair-”
“Like yours?” she asked him curiously
“Sort of, and he had green eyes and your mummy looked exactly you , the same long blonde hair , your blue eyes , your freckles” Adeline smiled at this , she was like her mummy. “What jobs did they have?” she asked eagerly. “They were both journalists for a newspaper in England called ‘The Times’” On the day he killed Adeline’s parents , after putting Adeline to bed , he went back to the throne room , where he had asked for everything Adeline’s parents had brought with them to be kept behind. He found in her mother’s handbag that from their drivers license they were Ella and Bradley Griffiths. They were both travel journalists as there notebooks were full of notes and photos and dates for articles to be in by. In Bradley’s wallet was a photo of Adeline , that was labelled ‘ Adeline , 1 day old’ , Alec kept the photo with him every where he went. He told Adeline all of this apart from the photo part, nobody even Jane knew about that. And for the next couple of weeks she would not stop talking about her parents. Alec had no work on 13th May so he spent the whole day with Adeline , who suggested after lunch that they play hide and seek. He was initially reluctant , but after telling her that she was not to leave their corridor they began to play “You have to count first” she instructed him
“Ok then 1, 2, 3” he said putting his hands over his eyes. Adeline instantly rushed off , seeking a place to hide , out of the corner her eye she saw the door that led to where she went on special occasions, ‘why did Alec not like her going through that door?’ she thought to herself ‘Well you might as well go and find out’ a small voice inside her head said. So nervously she approached the door, turned the handle and ran into the large corridor , she ran and skipped , laughing with joy when she suddenly ran into something. She looked up in shock to see a girl with long golden hair like her own and golden eyes “Mummy?”