‹ Prequel: Seize the Day

Just Live Your Life

Chapter Five

“So what are we going to do?” Val asks looking between Lucas, Layla and I.

“I want a restraining order out on her,” I answer, voicing my idea.

“We're not really going to give her another chance are we?” Lucas questions and Layla takes a sip of her tea.

“Amirah may be a shitty person, girlfriend and mother, but Octavis will ask questions about her when he is older and-”

“Layla, she left that little boy on the door step!” Val shouts, “If it wasn't for Zack needing a smoke none of us would have known Octavis was out there. You said it yourself that Amirah was about to head back to her car,” Val points out and Lucas nods his head in agreement.

“We need to do what's best for my nephew Layla. Putting all the shit that Amirah has done behind us we need to do what is best...and having my sister in Octavis' life is not on the list,” my voice wavers, but it's the truth. Amirah cannot be apart of Octavis' life, she's selfish and doesn't understand the meaning of family and love. How can she raise him right when she can't even take care of herself? “I don't want Amirah in Octavis' life...I can't put that little boy through that drama Layla. I won't let it happen.” Layla sighs and nods her head. I know she wants to give her opinion, but I'm done discussion the situation.

“So...have you and Matt fixed your issue about touring and what not?” Val asks changing the subject.

“Kind of. Kim has offered to watch Skye four nights out of the week that I work while Matt is touring. Now I just have to find someone to watch her for the other three nights,” Layla states with a frown on her face.

“Zack's mom can most likely do it. She's going to be taking care of Octavis while he is away and when Gena is at work,” Lucas suggests.

“I don't want to throw too much on Maria. One baby is enough.”

“We'll think of something,” Val says and I bite my lip thinking of a way to help both Layla and Zack out. Kim and Maria can only do so much. My phone goes off and I look at the caller ID seeing that it's Zack.

“Speak of the Devil,” I mutter and answer the phone only to be greeted with Octavis screaming his head off in the background. “Zack...what's going on over there?” I question.

“I need your help Corra. Your nephew is throwing a hissy fit, he's burning up and I can't get him to stop crying. Please you have to help me! I'm going insane!” Zack begs and I can hear the frustration in his voice.

“I'll be there in a little bit,” I tell him and hang up.

“What's wrong?” Layla asks.

“Octavis might be sick and Zack can't do anything about it right now.” Layla nods her head and stands up, “Coming?”

“Poor guy needs all the help he can get.”

“Bye guys,” I say giving Val and Lucas a hug. Layla does the same and together we leave Lucas and Val's house. Layla follows behind me in her car to Zack's house and when we get there I can hear Octavis screaming his head off from inside once I get to the front door. Pulling my key out of my pocket I unlock the door and call Zack's name. I follow the sounds of Octavis' screams into the living room and I almost laugh. Zack is trying his hardest to change his son's diaper, but Octavis won't stop kicking his legs or fussing. I look over to Layla and she shakes her head walking into the kitchen to make Octavis a bottle. “Hold his ankles together,” I inform Zack and he looks over his shoulder at me. “You won't hurt him.”

Zack does what I tell him and he manages to gets a clean diaper on Octavis' butt. Walking over I pick Octavis up and cringe at the heat coming off of his little body. “Have you taken his temperature?”

“He won't let me,” Zack sighs and I nod my head handing Octavis over to his father. Zack rocks side to side and rubs Octavis' back lightly. Sitting down on the couch I motion for Zack to sit down as well. He does and I dig through my purse for the thermometer I got just for Octavis, that is a pacifier. Zack tightens his hold on his son, I turn the device on and stick it in Octavis' mouth. He stop crying and sucks away at the pacifier. After a few seconds it beeps and I look at the little digital numbers. “Does he have a fever?”

“Yeah, poor little guy,” I say and again I dig through my purse for the bottle of baby Tylenol. Shaking it up I open the bottle and use the little syringe to get the liquid out. Zack lays Octavis flat across his knees, takes the pacifier out and I squirt the medicine in his mouth carefully, making sure he doesn't choke on it or spit it out. Zack picks Octavis back up and kisses his temple while rubbing his back. Layla walks into the living room with a bottle and hands it over to Zack who happily gives it to Octavis.

“Sweet silence,” Zack breaths out and I smile softly at him.

“He should go to sleep in a little bit,” Layla says and Zack nods his head. Zack looks down at his son and I can feel Layla's eyes on me. I look over at her and she glances over to Zack. I send her a questioning look and she shakes her head mouthing never mind. I look at Zack and Octavis then it hits me, I know how to solve Zack and Layla's baby issues.

“What are you thinking?” Zack's voice pulls me from my thoughts and I see that him and Layla are both looking at me.

“Oh, um...I think I figured out a way for you, Matt and Layla to all be happy with touring and work.”

“You did?” Layla asks and I nod my head proud of myself for thinking of it.

“So you both need someone to watch the babies. Gena and Layla both work so they can't do it all the time. Zack, you and Matt will start touring again soon so you two can't take care of the babies. I know you both asked your parents and all, but what if I do it?” Layla opens her mouth to comment, but I hold up my hand letting her know that I'm not finished. “The pub is pretty much fully staffed. I can quit or take a leave...whatever you want to call it and look after the babies. Layla it's you, Lucas and Val, that's three people; the same amount that we first started with,” I explain and Layla bites her lip in thought.

“Corra I'm not going to let you give up your job to watch-”

“You guys are family and family looks over for each other. I mean I love kids, I'm good with them and the babies love me!” I say cutting Zack off.

“I don't know Corra...” Layla says and I frown.

“You guys don't have to make your decision now, I'm just throwing it out there. Just think about it, I mean come on guys. Zack your mom can only do so much and the same does for Matt's mother. Plus I'm saving you gas! I live closer to the both of you then the parents, also-”

“We get it Corra,” Zack says cutting me off. Layla and Zack share a look and I bite my lip.

“We'll talk it over and get back to you later,” Layla says and I nod my head. I thought it was a brilliant idea, but I guess they see if differently.

7 o'clock at night

Later that night I'm in my kitchen making dinner for Johnny and I. Arms wrap around my waist and I smile feeling Johnny's lips press against my cheek. “Hey pretty lady.”

“Hi,” I giggle and Johnny rests his chin on my shoulder.

“Whatca' making?”

“Something I saw on the Food Network.”

“Is it done yet?”

“Almost. Why, hungry?”

“I am, but for something else,” Johnny mummers and I bite my lip as he kisses my shoulder lightly. “Think you can help me out?”

Licking my lips I open my mouth to answer him, but I squeal instead when Johnny presses his body flat against me.

“J-Johnny I-”

“You got five minutes. Any longer and...well don't make me wait,” Johnny whispers in my ear before he kisses my temple and walks out the kitchen. I hear him walk up the steps and I take a deep breath.

“Where the hell did that come from?” I mutter and run a hand through my hair. Shaking my head I turn the stove off and move the pot on the opposite burner so the food won't over cook. Washing my hands I dry them off and head out the kitchen. As I walks toward the steps someone rings the door bell and Peanut starts barking. Turning around I head to the door and open it, “What the hell do you want?” I hiss glaring at my younger sister.

“Hello to you too Corra,” Amirah says as she pushes past me and enters my home.

“Pretty sure I didn't invite you in,” I state turning around to face her and she rolls her eyes.

“I want to see my son.”

“I'm sorry what?” I ask raising my eyebrow, “As far as I'm concerned you don't have a son. You gave up that right when you left my nephew on Zack's door step.”

“I don't really care what you think. I'm the one that gave birth to him, not you. So like I said, I want to see my son.” Amirah folds her arms across her chest and I stare at her blankly.

“Amirah,” I sigh, “just get out. I don't have time to deal with your shit right now. If you want to see Octavis so badly talk to Zack,” I say and Amirah glares at me. “What? Oh right, sorry. I forget he hates you,” I muse with a fake apologetic smile on my face.

“You're such a bitch,” Amirah snaps.

“Oh? That means a lot coming from you sweets. Now, leave before I call the cops,” I order motion to the door and Amirah glares at me.

“We're not done Corra. I'm going to see my son and there is nothing you can do about it,” Amirah says and I suck my teeth stepping right up to her.

“Are you threatening me Amirah?” I question narrowing my eyes and Amirah smiles.

“See you around...sister,” she sings and steps around me leaving the house.

“Bitch!” I hiss under my breath as I slam the door shut. Peanut paddles up to me and jumps on my legs, “Not now girl,” I mutter and the little dog jumps down off my legs. Locking the door I head up the steps to the bedroom and Johnny is sitting on the bed.

“What took you so l-” I cut him off by crashing my lips into his.

“Shut up and fuck me,” I whisper and Johnny's eyes widen at my choice of words. He smashes his lips into mine and within record time our clothes are on the floor and we're under the sheets.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait and I'm sorry it's a bit on the crappy side. I know it seems unfinished, I wanted it that way.