Status: Enjoy! Comments/ advice appreciated

Repens

Worth It?

Upstairs there was a more heated argument. Sherlock wanted this more than even he could believe. John was very hesitant about the entire situation, Sherlock’s decision had the potential of changing everything they knew and putting them in more danger than they could handle. Two people could look after and protect one another but a team of three wouldn’t be as manageable or convenient. And Mycroft Holmes saw the situation in a far different light.

“Jim Moriarty wanted you dead before there was a third party involved. He threatened the life of Dr. Watson without blinking. What do you suppose his men will do to the girl? There is no happy ending here, Sherlock. Surely you must see that. Caring complicates already difficult circumstances and love… Love will ruin someone in your position more thorough than you could possibly imagine. May I remind you of the Adler woman? " He leaned in towards his little brother with a demanding glare. "Let her go.”

Mycroft's cold monotone advice was heard but not considered. Any time Sherlock had ever had the chance at something almost normal, his older brother made it top priority to ensure a challenge for Sherlock.

“Why are you still here, Mycroft? You’ve had your fun, caused havoc, and once again made yourself out to be a dull miserable suit worker with nothing better to do than cause me unnecessary amounts of grief.”

Having heard the two siblings go on for almost thirty agonizing minutes, John spoke up. He didn’t want to take sides but hated that time was being wasted on something that was ultimately Sherlock’s decision, be it a good decision or a bad one.

“Alright, gentlemen, let’s look at this as adults. You are both very familiar with deductions. Let’s make a few, shall we? Sherlock, you know that you’ll be putting her in danger and we’ll be forced to go on more wild goose chases like last night. It will be a diversion from our cases. We’ll have to solve the cases and save her while on a deadline.” Sherlock stood silent but rolled his eyes, now upset with his usually loyal best friend and dictator of a brother. “And Mycroft, surely you have something of more importance to be doing. It’s wonderful that you are looking out for him but that’s my job and I don’t need any assistance concerning this particular matter. When I need help, you shall be my very first call.”

The room was still for all of five seconds before the Holmes brothers started yelling at eachother, spouting analytical truths and sharp personal insults. John couldn’t control them or stop the pointless argument. While he stood helplessly watching the two stubborn geniuses fight about love the door suddenly flew open.

“Suit, you need to leave, now. John, go downstairs for a bit. And you,” she turned to Sherlock, “come with me.”

“Children, that’s all you are! You’re all children who will fight for what you want at the moment despite the obvious extremely negative outcome,” Mycroft scorned. “You’ll fight to keep peace, you’ll fight for the mere idea of love, and you will always fight for yourself,” he announced looking at John, Stephanie, and then Sherlock. After a look of pure disgust, the man vanished down the stairs.

“Sorry, mate,” John sighed staring at Sherlock, giving Mycroft enough time to be outside. When Sherlock finally returned John’s apologetic gaze they nodded in a silent agreement. John would go along with whatever his best friend chose, no matter how preposterous the outcome.

Once John was gone, Sherlock let out a large sigh, as if everything was suddenly taken care of. “And where are we going?”

She knew that behind his indifferent mask the man was upset and embarrassed of his own human-like confusion. It was extremely rare for Sherlock not to know how he felt about something or not know what to want or do. It had to be difficult for him to feel so unusually lost and out of contro.

Sitting on the sofa, where she sat the first time they met, Stephanie tried to rid herself of all emotion and look at this from a logical perspective- one that would probably sound like Mycroft.
“I’m sure the two of you loath eachother- too much alike I suppose. But he is trying to protect you,” she began. Sherlock already didn’t like where this was going so he started pacing the room and started fidgeting with everything- fixing slightly tilted picture frames, returning stray books back to the bookcase, and such. “Come on, Sherlock. You must see where this all will lead. It’s going to be difficult and hardly worth your time. Mycroft is testing you, giving you a small dose of what to expect from all this. He’s trying to make a point- how can we handle this type of relationship when deciding to be a couple has been this large of an ordeal? He created the drama this time but next time it will be an enemy of yours.”

The look on his face let her know that she needed to conclude her speech. He had already been lectured once today and didn’t need her to serve as an echo. “Your mind doesn’t take feelings into consideration, you work with facts alone. Human emotion is so unpredictable and constantly changes. Besides, I’m guessing you don’t like anything you can’t be in control of. You can’t control my emotions, darling, much less control your own.”

He knew she was right, Mycroft was right. She would always be in danger and a large portion of his beloved case-time would be traded for saving her and spending time with her- even thinking of her would be a major hindrance to the life he lived before. But there was something inside of him that couldn’t be pushed aside or ignored. He had never felt like this before and not having the ability to control it did bother him a great deal. This wasn’t like Irene Adler; there were no separate motivations or double agendas. The two of them had simply met, were instantly attracted to one another, and expressed their silent adoration.

Gathering his words, Sherlock’s heart was beating at a much faster pace than usual. He stood in front of her and confessed, “I’ve never been truly attracted to someone until now and I do find it extremely intimidating, perhaps the reason why I never bothered with feelings before. You’re right, I can’t control them and that does make a large difference.” The next part was the hardest to say and he couldn’t even find the will to be straight forward about it. “You are the most powerful drug I have ever known. I can’t even think of you without wondering what you’re doing or wanting to see you. It’s maddening, really.” He paused, removing his feelings from the equation as Stephanie had done. “It would be dangerous, yes; but we could take special precautions. Some of my time would be taken up; but I only have so much to offer you to begin with and it isn’t a large sum. I’ll be horrible at this whole feelings thing since I have never paid them much attention. And you will have to be a large part of me without being part of my work, which will be the most difficult part for you. A third marvelous brain would certainly be useful on a case but one too many lives to be risked on a daily basis. And then there is your school and living situation; this would become a long distance affair and we both know the unfortunate statistics of those.”

“So is it all worth it? Is this something you really, truly, honestly want enough to sacrifice the life you know?”

Sherlock knew the numbers that went along with the statistics and not a single one of them was in his favor. “Whirlwind romances, relationships in which one party has mysterious or dangerous work, long distance relationships, and unions where the two lovers are very much alike-specifically two high-functioning sociopaths- hardly ever work. Married couples hardly stay together anymore and we are only talking about a relationship.” The word was still so foreign to him. There was a suspenseful pause until he concluded, “I want to do this. Despite the fact that this is sure to go wrong in some way, I want to do this. You know the risks and stats. If you are entirely sure that you’re prepared for the worst…”

“I’m in,” she stated with a serious expression that lingered almost too long before her next words. “I’m all yours, Sherlock Holmes. Come hell or high water, I’ll be there.” Her sudden smile made everything alright.

She got up from the sofa and threw her arms around his neck. He began to hold her with a small smile forming on his lips. They both ignored the sick feeling in their stomachs and the many thoughts screaming at them. As of that moment, they were together.

Taking her small face between his hands the detective gave her a single passionate kiss before staring into her eyes. Never had he been so terrified. On the roof of St. Bart’s hospital with Moriarty was a day in the park compared to what he was feeling with this woman in his arms- his woman in his arms.

“It’s only noon. I’m sure your present case is requiring your present attention,” she smiled, wishing she could tag along to watch him in action.

“Yes, you are correct,” he sighed, not wanting to leave those green eyes. “You tell your aunt, I’ll tell John, and Mycroft will somehow find out by supper. Those are the only three people in the world that will know. We have to be careful about the media and their little games but we’ll worry about that another time. Please stay inside and I’ll be home later. Don’t wait up, it could be a late night.”

The pace in which he talked was slowing down around her- he was becoming more comfortable. There was a new tenderness in his eyes, one that no one else had ever seen before. In addition, he was becoming quite good at kissing. This was a Sherlock Holmes no one dared to dream existed. Of every girl in world, he was drawn to her, a fact that she still couldn’t fully wrap her head around.

“See you later, then,” she sighed as contently as possible.

He gave her a wink accompanied by his crooked grin and was off. She heard the front door slam only seconds later. Sherlock and John were on a wonderful adventure while she was left at home to explain everything to her aunt. There was no other way to go about it but honest and blunt. A fight was going to happen and she would end up in Sherlock’s bed after the nasty exchange of words before the night was over. It was going to be a very long afternoon and an even longer night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dont forget to comment!