Status: Enjoy! Comments/ advice appreciated

Repens

Tabloid

The next morning, Sherlock was back to his usual schedule- which now included sweet morning moments and a good-bye kiss- and Steph would return to her aunt’s flat as soon as the boys were gone just before her aunt was awake. Crawling into her aunt’s guest bed, she felt nervous but unafraid. There was so much more to her than him and the same reversed. The past two days the two had been completely and blissfully distracted with eachother; now it was time for reality to settle in. But now that he was on a case, she was left to the prison disguised as a flat, doomed to daytime telly with her disapproving aunt.

After Sherlock left, she was getting dressed and just happened to notice a tabloid shoved under the bed.

SUICIDE OF FAKE GENIUS

“What have we here?” she asked picking it up.

Skimming through the article, Stephanie couldn’t believe what she was seeing. Someone had mentioned Sherlock Holmes around her a few years back and she didn’t think anything of the name until her aunt commented about his living in one of her flats. But that was only a month ago. Apparently, he faked his own death and disappeared for some time before returning back to his (what he considered) normal life at 221B Baker Street.

Many questions filled her half-asleep brain. So now she was down stairs in a bed, much more uncomfortable that the one upstairs, with hopes of getting just another hour of rest before what was turning into an interesting day. It was too late to follow the boys but she could still be doing some personal research to pass the time. Getting all of the facts from Holmes’ disappearance would pass the time and perhaps better explain the true nature of the man she was falling rather quickly for.

On the other side of town, Sherlock and John were just starting the first simple case they had encountered in a while, a case that didn’t involve the still uncooperative Scotland Yard. They were in a cab on their way back to the flat to wait for their next client.

“Well, that went well,” John contently sighed. There was no reply. Looking over at his thoughtful friend and flat mate, he decided to pry a bit. “Already having trouble with the new… with Stephanie?”

Not breaking his calm blank stare, Holmes replied in a low agitated voice, “I planted that horrid tabloid issue under the bed this morning for her to find.”

There were a few seconds where John was too shocked to speak.
“Why on earth would you do that? That isn’t exactly something you tell a woman the second day of the relationship.” He paused nervously. “Oh, Sherlock, what have you done? You’re going to ruin possibly the best thing that ever happened to you just for amusement's sake.” The good doctor was almost mad now.

“It’s for her sake. She needs to know exactly what she is getting into. It’s one experience to be told a possible lie and another to question something without a second party. We talked about the risks again last night and we are going through with it. This is just the final warning, the last test of her determination.”

“Determination? You do mean devotion? What if she doesn’t find it?” John was hopeful that she hadn’t found it yet knew the chances of the clever girl not noticing were slim to none.

“Oh, she’s already found it. And if she’s the type of girl I hope she is, she’ll be quite busy today,” he almost smiled.

“Busy, doing what?”

“Her research, of course,” he practically glowed with delight.

“She isn’t one of the bad guys, you know. You don’t have to set her up or leave little trails for her to follow. Most couples… People who are seeing eachother usually just talk privately about these sorts of things, the things they don’t really want eachother to know.”

“No, she’ll prefer it this way. It gives her something to do other than watch daytime telly with Mrs. Hudson and allows me to delay our first "heart to heart". What she finds depends on how thorough her research is. If she only looks for a small amount of information, she’ll find an equally small amount.”

“And if she spends all day putting together all of your dirty little secrets?”

“I’ve already given her the dirtiest little piece of my past. Let’s see how many other pieces she puts together."

“I really don’t think this is a good idea,” John sighed. “This will backfire, you wait. That all was a while back and she doesn't need to know every detail about it."

The rest of the cab ride was silent. Once they arrived to their destination, the two friends' full attention was brought to the case.