Status: Enjoy! Comments/ advice appreciated

Repens

Like Teenagers

After Molly left, Mrs. Hudson joined the three upstairs. A new string of stories and jokes were told. But she couldn't help noticing the constant proximity between her niece and Sherlock. Mrs. Hudson still wasn’t used to the man without a heart kissing her only niece. Then again, she wasn’t used to her niece showing anything above minimal emotions.

The world was becoming a strange place indeed. John was rather amused by it all, Sherlock finally fancied someone. Mycroft despised the very idea and had expressed it in a variety of ways including several text messages and canceling a few of Sherlock rarely used accounts- just to remind his younger brother of his power to control other aspects of his life. As for the lovers, they found great amusement and delight in small ridiculous things that went unnoticed by most other couples- silent glances across the room, light dancing in the other’s hair, and they took special note of eachother’s voice tones and body language.

Since her second night at 221B Baker Street, the young woman had been sleeping upstairs with the man she called her boyfriend. The day was coming to an end and the four of them-Sherlock, John, Steph, and Mrs. Hudson-had all been upstairs laughing about old times and chin wagging. When the clock read ten, the usually easy going land lady rose from John's chair and thanked the boys for the wonderful time. Then she gave a stern look towards her niece. The girl was staring adoringly at Sherlock, making the old woman worry.

“Alright, Steph, time to return downstairs,” the unusually controlling aunt smiled.

“You go ahead,” Stephanie replied, not wanting to leave. Why would she want to? She was sitting beside the most handsome genius man in the world with his arm around her- and he was even smiling tonight.

“No, come with me. You need to be sleeping downstairs, love. The boys have their routine and aren’t accustomed to company.” She wasn’t being direct but she didn’t like the idea of her beloved niece sleeping in the same bed as her new uncharacteristically lovesick boyfriend.

"But I've been sleeping up here the last several nights," she argued, feeling a bit embarrassed.

"And whatever happens to you is my responsibility," her elder crossly replied.

"We haven't done anything you would disapprove of. I promise."

"They've behaved themselves. I can vouch for them," John piped in.

"Thank you John but I want my niece sleeping downstairs for the remainder of her holiday."

The girl glanced towards Sherlock hoping for a bit of assistance. Perhaps he could tell her aunt that her sleeping upstairs wouldn’t bother them. Instead, the unhelpful bloke simply gave her a quick flirty wink. Her response was an immediate disapproving stare. When Sherlock didn't back her up, she tried the less respectful approach.

"I'm not a child, auntie. I'm an adult and wish to be treated as so." She wished she could take back the words the moment they flew through her mouth. Aunt Hudson didn't do well with backtalk.

“She really wouldn’t be a bother,” John chimed in once more, seeing the other two’s silent conversation.

“No, Mrs. Hudson is right.” Sherlock announced to all. Looking into the fiery eyes he adored he added, “Besides, I can see her tomorrow.”

No one else in the room noticed it but she did, and that was all that mattered. After the tall handsome man completed his last comment, there was a small trace of a smile playing in the corner of his perfect lips. Stephanie hoped she was reading his thoughts correctly. If so, her aunt was not going to be particularly happy in the morning.

“Fine,” the girl replied in a sharp tone. But her eyes were full of happy mischief. “Goodnight, John,” she sighed staring directly at her boyfriend.

“Goodnight!” answered the good doctor, feeling a bit sorry for the young woman. The two ladies disappeared and John glanced at Sherlock to see if he was disappointed. Strangely enough, he was grinning. “You aren’t the slightest bit upset that she won’t be with you tonight?”
“Oh, we’ll be together. No question about that.”

It had been about an hour since her aunt had gone to bed. She thought once the old sweet lady, with the best of intentions, was asleep her brilliant Sherlock would be down. That wasn’t the way of it. For the last forty-five minutes, she had been staring at the wall waiting for the sound of creaking stairs. But nothing. Perhaps he had gotten busy with research or had fallen asleep at his computer. The possibilities were endless. Though she understood him better than anyone, there would always be a bit of mystery between them; but just enough to keep things droll.

“Waiting for someone?” the deep voice whispered from the doorway of her room.

“You took your time,” she happily scolded.

“Cup of tea, Google, and some plotting,” he explained.

“What was the plotting?”

“I didn’t use the stairs.”

She couldn’t help rolling her eyes. Moving as far over as possible on the twin sized bed, Steph finally felt as if she could sleep peacefully now. There were arms to hold her and soft breathing to lull her to sleep. Sherlock slid under the covers and immediately pulled her body close to his. Each released a content sigh once fully situated. Sleep was soon to come.

In the darkness, she felt his lips at her ear. Pulling away from him, her body and mind were suddenly at war. Urges had to be smothered for tonight.

“No, we can’t,” she announced.

“And why not?” His lips were at the back of her neck.

“Because my aunt is right across the hall and she won’t think twice about throwing you out.”

“Oh, she took her evening soother. A gunshot wouldn’t wake her.”

“Sherlock,” she whined. “You’re being difficult, dearest.”

“Fine.”

They held onto eachother for a few silent minutes before she whispered, “I’m glad you came down. Having you here is nice.”

“Goodnight, Cassidy,” the great Sherlock Holmes sighed with great serenity.

Moments later, they were both asleep. Just before each lost the will to ponder, they couldn’t help imagining the look on Mrs. Hudson’s face in the morning. They were soon to be filled with indecent delight.

A single soft kiss was placed on his nose. A second on his forehead. Another just under his ear, making him slightly aware and almost conscious. The warm lips moved between his neck and shoulder, forcing him completely awake. With eyes still closed he simply waited for the last kiss which would be on the mouth. He had been completely still until the moment her lips touched his. Sherlock gently grabbed the back of her head and pulled it as close to his as possible, deepening what was meant to be a simple sweet morning kiss. When he claimed her mouth, Stephanie couldn't contain an almost silent sharp gasp. They had only been awake for a minute and already things were on the brink of getting out of hand.

Now laying on his chest, returning slow deep kisses, the hardly awake girl fought the strong urge to giggle. How could this be real? Never in her life had she imagined these sorts of emotions.

"Shhhh," the beautiful half naked man reminded her with a happily amused grin, staring into those ever sparkling eyes.

They paused for a moment, the land lady moving around in the next room.

"Now see what you've done," he teased, anticipating what was to come next.

"Well, it's your fault," she whispered with sass.

"My fault? How on earth is it my fault?"

"You didn't have to turn my little kiss into morning passions," Steph flirtatiously smiled, still on his chest.

"How cruel should we be to her?" Sherlock was actually very playful, fully aware of the situation that was to arise any moment. "Any ideas?"

He was going to make this as awkward for her poor aunt as possible- payback for trying to steal his Stephanie from him last night. Mrs. Hudson loving him the way she did was the only thing that was going to keep her from killing her most intelligent renter. His hands slid down the beautiful woman's sides, sending chills throughout her body, until they found her hips. He grabbed her firmly and was hovering over her in one swift silent movement. Suddenly finding herself on her back, the young woman breathed heavily in pleasant shock. She had just enough time to place a small hand on his neck before the door opened.

"Time to get up, Steph!" the woman sang cheerfully across the hall, getting closer to the door.

"This is horrible!" Stephanie whispered in a laugh, looking into the mischievous eyes of her smiling boyfriend.

The two lovers stared at eachother with large smiles when suddenly, "SHERLOCK!"

The two immediately looked over at the stunned old woman in the doorway as if they were completely surprised at her being there- as if they hadn't planned the entire event.

Minutes later, they found themselves fully clothed with messy hair remaining and sitting on Mrs. Hudson's couch with a full seat cushion between them. The enraged woman paced in front of them gathering her words as the couple fought to keep straight and serious expressions. Focusing on the floor, they couldn't even look in the other's direction. Needless to say, the land lady did not appreciate or approve of their little prank.

"In all my years knowing both of you, I would never have dreamt I would be lecturing the pair of you, together, as if you were children. It's irresponsible and everyone is already going through great lengths to get used to the idea."

Interrupting her aunt, Stephanie asked, "But shouldn't we be the ones 'getting used to'? I mean, after all, we are the ones who are experiencing the sudden dramatic life changes."

Sherlock had to close his eyes to contain a volcanic smile or chuckle. Keeping calm, he continued to appear neutral.

"Quiet Stephanie!" Mrs. Hudson snapped finding no humor in her niece's ill timed joke. "And Sherlock, I thought we agreed that she sleep down stairs last night."

"She did sleep down stairs last night, all of last night in fact," he replied factually with no humor in his voice whatsoever.

"You knew what I meant, young man! There was no need for you to be sneaking around at all hours of the night! The two of you are grown ups, adults!" Pointing at her nice she added, "And I can and will send you back home, missy. Don't you think for one moment I won't."

Stephanie appeared bored as her aunt gave the childish speech. "If, in fact, we are both adults, then what is the alarmingly devastating problem with our sleeping in the same bed?"

Amused at her gutsy question, Sherlock looked over at his fiery redhead in mock agreement.

"Stephanie Thomas, you know exactly what I meant. There is no need to explain everything in detail. After all, you two are the most intelligent people in the world." They each smiled at her, surprised at the timing of the compliment. "Or so you think!" Their smiles and pride quickly soured into annoyance.

"You're afraid we'll continue in the seemingly careless manner, get ourselves into trouble, and the entire situation will be blown completely out of proportion, unable to undo what has been done," Sherlock chimed in.

"Yes!"

"Wrong!"

Mrs. Hudson brought her hand up to her chest in shock of his boldness.

"This isn't what it seems to everyone. We are fully aware of what we are doing. While neither of us have been in this situation before, we are handling the present circumstances with maturity and being open to a part of life we each find new and exciting," Stephanie argued, the conversation growing dull and pointless.

"You'll be gone in a few more days. Is that new and exciting enough for you? Then what? You'll be back off to classes in August," she said turning from her niece to her renter. "And it'll go back to being just you, John, and your cases. You'll be miles apart and attempting a long distance relationship, which is hard enough for normal people."

"Normal people? Really auntie, I don't think…"

"You know exactly what I'm talking about, young lady. This is the fun part but when the both of you return to real life, what then?" The two on the couch were silent, insulted by their maturity and judgment being questioned. Sitting down on the coffee table just in front of the couch, the elder apologetically glanced into both sets of young eager eyes. "The two of you just met. Infatuation and chemistry are all well and fine but… is this really what you want, sneaking around and protecting eachother? Losing all hope for a normal life?"

After a brief pause, Sherlock reflected of all he knew from his own life and stared at the concerned dear old woman. "Neither of our lives were ever going to be 'normal' from the start. If we are each doomed to live unusual lives why not live them with someone who fully understands the complexity of the life we live? Is it not better to share a load only known by few than take on the load alone?"

She was moved by his words, especially since they were towards the young lady she loved as her own daughter. With a sigh of surrender and compassion, Mrs. Hudson asked one last question. She already knew what the answer was but hearing the words would be the final confirmation needed to accept this most unexpected union.

"You really feel that way about my Steph? You need eachother this badly?"

Sherlock and Stephanie glanced at eachother for just a moment and she spoke for both of them, "I thought we'd been over this before. We've never felt this way before, ether of us. We didn't believe in anything like this and now that we've found the very thing we always knew to be false, we desperately want to see where it takes us. We understand and need eachother in a way no one else understands. We need to be together, for now at least. Perhaps it won't last but we are hoping for the best."

Mrs. Hudson nodded with misty eyes and looked to the man who didn't have the slightest trace of a heart until just days ago. He gave her a single nod in agreement to what had just been spoken.

"Goodness. This is a mess if I've ever seen one but I'm genuinely trying to be happy for the pair of you." They each smiled, the three of them. All was well and permission had been officially granted. "Just don't let me catch you…"

"Sorry about that," Stephanie blushed, not even able to imagine what they must have looked like when the sweet woman walked in. "Won't happen again," she paused, "as long as I'm allowed to sleep upstairs like the adult I am."

With a roll of her eyes, the aunt sighed, "I don't approve of it but you apparently know what you're doing."

Sherlock sprang to his feet and kissed his beloved land lady on the cheek. "You dear old thing, I knew you'd come around!"

Just as he released her, Stephanie came up to give loving hugs and kisses to who had always been her favorite family member.

"Oh, off with you! You have a case to be working on and you have things to do. Get some stuff done!"

She all but kicked Sherlock out of her flat and gave Stephanie only five minutes to say good-bye.

Half way up the stairs, Stephanie turned around to kiss the man following her. Since she was two stairs ahead of him, they were of equal height- a rare occurance. Throwing her arms around him, she gave him a long deep kiss like the ones they had shared earlier in the morning. The consulting detective held her and was first to break the kiss.

"All is finally well with the only person whose opinion truly matters," he almost smiled.

"And I'm so thankful she loves you as she does. She wouldn't be so concerned but she doesn't want to see either of us hurt," Steph explained.

"A bit obvious."

"It still needed to be said."

"Fine."

They had just began staring at eachother when they heard John opening the door of the flat.

"Again?" she grinned, wanting to perform the prank just once more.

The corners of Sherlock's lips rose with immense pleasure.

Five seconds later, John arrived at the staircase, caught the two in a very deep kiss, and whined, "You do know that seeing you as a pair already makes people uncomfortable, right? And that's without the passionate displays everywhere in this bloody building."

They could only chuckle as John marched back inside flat and slammed the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
A bit long, sorry guys!