Status: Enjoy! Comments/ advice appreciated

Repens

Fighting the Dragon

For the first time since that day, he took his first step onto the roof. An eerie feeling surrounded him, the sound of passing cars and busses far below. He knew exactly how far down it was because he had taken that fall- planned it actually. Each deliberate breath, thought, and movement was recalled as Sherlock took his last step onto the building's ledge. There wasn't time enough to stay long but he felt he needed to be reminded. The anger, rage, and pain from that day had returned and possibly doubled. But he had to survive this test as he had the last. And not only was he to walk away alive but also those involved- Stephanie most of all.

London air blew through his hair as the ends of his shoes dangled off the roof's edge. His coattails danced in the summer breeze as that day became more vivid than it had been in the last three years. This was the place he had faced every last one of his demons. And now, revisiting this almost sacred place, he formed the final details of his plan to save the one person on this earth he truly and unconditionally loved. Closing his eyes, he remembered what it was like to fall the multiple stories down to his believed death- the precautions Molly had allowed, the taste of the blood capsules in his mouth, and the look on John's face while standing above his body.
"My story didn't end that day just as it won't today. I am neither angel nor demon." He paused, her smiling face coming to his mind. "And she WILL live."
---
"He'll be calling any moment now. Begging for a clue or more time. Sherlock, I mean," Jim grinned walking circles around the still silent Stephanie. "Your boyfriend loves to be dramatic doesn't he? Waiting until the last possible hour and all.
She continued staring into the nothingness of the room she now loathed. He was getting the best of her but she couldn't let him know that. She was also beginning to wonder if her Sherlock was going to pull off the impossible feat. Things were hopeless and only becoming more so every passing minute. Time was also her enemy; seconds seemed more like minutes, minutes like hours, and so on. How long had she been there? Exactly how much longer did Sherlock have before Moriarty's plan went into its final phase?
Jim got into her face for what seemed the hundredth time and whispered in a dark melodic voice, "Doesn't look like he loves you as much as you thought, huh?" She wanted to spit in his face but continued ignoring him. "Such a shame. So young and beautiful to be let down by someone with his reputation. He probably made you feel like you were different. Like you were the only one he wasn't going to let down. Now look at you. Minutes away from your death. No hope in sight."
She gave a hard swallow. How many minutes did she have?
As Jim continued his evil speech, she saw one of his guards silently drop in the shadows of the back of the room. It became a challenge to keep her eyes straight, her peripheral vision in full use.

"You have two choices, beautiful girl." He paused, starting his next slow lap around the chair. "Your life for his. I kill you and he goes free to live the rest of his lonely pathetic life." Jim was in front of her again. "Or what, Jim?" he asked, mocking her. "OR… I'm offering you my hand of friendship for the last time." He bent over and whispered into her ear, "We could be so beautiful together."

As he whispered the bitter words, so close she could smell his expensive cologne, a dark figure stepped out of the shadows long enough for her to find her strength. Then the figure silently disappeared into the darkness once more.

For the first time in hours, she spoke. And not only did she speak, but she did so with an unexpected confidence.

"I wouldn't join your lot if it were my only choice. And as for the second choice given, I don't have to worry about that either. There will be no trading my life for his, nor will he be trading his life for mine. You see, poor Jim, we're both going to walk out of this building-wherever we are-and do so very alive."

Jim had to force a smile onto his lips. Her words had filled him with the slightest, but most alarming, doubt. This girl had so much faith in the absent detective?

"And what makes you believe he cares so much for you? You're ordinary. Just like everyone else."
He was nose to nose with her when from the darkness there came a bellowing, yet familiar, voice.

"Because I do."

They both looked up in unison, he in terror and she in triumphant relief.

"Oh, there you are. I was beginning to wonder-"

"I heard-" Sherlock interrupted. He stepped completely out of the shadows and into the light. Their eyes met only for a second.

"Four forty-five. Cutting it a bit close, aren't you?"

"I'm here before the given time, am I not?"

"I suppose," Moriarty sighed as if he was suddenly indifferent and bored.

"A clever girl like her didn't take your offer?" He continued walking towards them with his hands behind his back.

"No cape?" Jim mused, taking note of Holmes' missing coat. He wore only a suit and didn't even have the usual product in his curly hair.

"Just me," he answered, slightly nervous but confident. "I solved your little puzzle. Now let her be."

"Actually, there is a surprise guest with us today." Sherlock's stomach knotted. He knew who Moriarty was talking about. "Bring out my other little friend."

One of his still conscious thugs left the room only to return with Molly Hooper, blindfolded and gagged. Her bonds were undone, her sight and ability to speak restored, then she was walked over towards Moriarty. Once Jim stood between the two women, a vicious smirk grew on his face- as if he had already won.

"You know Molly Hooper," he grinned. "The one person I didn't expect you to care about." Looking towards a now worried Stephanie, he asked, "Did you know that Miss Hooper actually helped your boyfriend fake his rather short death?" His attention returned to Sherlock. "I should have had four gunmen that day. Hindsight truly is twenty-twenty, is it not? Things would have been so different had I known." Jim walked towards the frightened Molly then he ran a hand gently across her cheek.

"We only went out a few times but I saw some good in you. You don't have to do this," Molly pleaded.

An odd expression crossed Jim's face before he smacked Molly across the cheek he had just caressed seconds ago.

"It was an act to get to HIM, you stupid child," he yelled into her face. "So trusting. So loyal in such short time. You would have waited for him forever wouldn't you? You kept his little secret for so long."

"That's enough!" Stephanie shouted, wanting to tear Moriarty's attention away from the absolutely terrified woman. Her plan worked but also backfired. The mad man slithered towards her and became too close for comfort once more. He sneered in her face before turning to face a seemingly nervous Sherlock.

"One chance. One choice. One woman," Moriarty announced. "The one woman you claim to be your life or the one woman who saved your life? Consider and choose carefully. Boys!"

What few men he had left entered the room from all surrounding doors. Moriarty looked around but felt uneasy at the realization that most of his men were unaccounted for. Sherlock immediately picked up on this.

"You seem to be short of men from what you usually have," he commented, holding back a wide victorious grin.

"Yes. It appears that way, doesn't it? Well, I suppose we'll have to make due," Jim sighed, acting as sinister and mad as ever.

He gave an "oh well" shrug before pulling a gun from inside his dress jacket. His mob took their cue and retrieved all of their guns as their boss had done. Half of them aimed their weapons at Molly's head while the others took aim at Stephanie. Sherlock appeared to be caught off guard, his eyes darting from Stephanie to Molly- the two women who mattered most. He closed his eyes and ran a trembling hand through his hair.

"She saved your life, Sherlock. Do the same for her. You'll be fine without me. I swear it," softly yelled his brave girlfriend.

"No. You love her, Sherlock. You'll never find another woman like her. You'll regret it the rest of your life. Please!" Molly Hooper cried beside the grinning master of crime.

Sherlock's eyes darted between the two women before landing on his arch enemy.

"Only one. The woman you love or the woman you owe?" This was all too easy. If Holmes' saved one he'd never get over losing the other. Whichever woman survived would always live in the dark shadow of the one who died. And that wasn't even the best bit. To end it all, whichever woman lived would have to live her life without the great Sherlock Holmes. Despite which woman was chosen, Sherlock WAS going to die, and within the next hour- perhaps after some physical and mental torture.

"I couldn't live with one and lose the other. No matter who I choose, I'm damned."

"Oh, very good," Moriarty patronized and praised his enemy for catching the point of his little game.

"So, I'm forced to choose both."

"To die?"

Sherlock only gave a solemn nod, completely sure of his odd choice. Neither woman argued or protested. Both simply remained silent, completely trusting this man with their lives.

"Strange solution to your problem," Jim chuckled. "I suppose it makes sense but… Really?"

"Have you men shoot both of them. Have your men shoot just one of them." Sherlock paused. "Have your men shoot ME," he calmly ordered.

"NO!" The two women cried out together. Sherlock's hand rose to silence them.

"Shoot me. Kill me off as you've wanted to from the start. The building wasn't enough. You couldn’t outsmart me then but it appears you have today."

As the two teary-eyed women cried out, Jim only smiled a devilish grin.

"Kill YOU? And if I refuse?"

"You were going to kill me anyways. Today. Tomorrow. Months or years from now. Why prolong the inevitable?" He paused. "Finally end your problem."

"Kill you and do what with your two leading ladies?"

"Kill me and they go free. Just release them before you shoot. My one request," the desperate but collected Holmes begged.

Moriarty thought on this for a while, as if he were actually considering the perfect proposal. The criminal gave a single nod, as if his mind had been made up. Everyone else in the room kept silent, waiting for the dreaded outcome. Then his eyes lit up the dark twisted way they had on the roof just before he supposedly shot himself.

"No deal," he laughed. Jim snapped his fingers then all guns pointed towards Stephanie. "I want to make you suffer, not end your suffering. Killing you would be too kind. Taking you out of the equation now wouldn't be my style."

Steph's brave accepting eyes met those of the man she loved.

"Sherlock Holmes," she began with a voice only slightly wavering. "I lo-"

"No. Not yet," he replied, his voice calm but worried.

"Then when, my darling?" She had kept her tears and emotions locked away until now.

Their eyes locked, a most precious of moments. This was their good-bye. The last time they would be together. Her last chance to tell him how she felt and he didn't want to hear it. His words hurt, cutting deep, but she understood his reasoning. Hearing the three words from her now would only make losing her all the more difficult. Something in his eyes changed just before he turned his back towards her. So this was how it ended.

"Shoot her. Have all of your men shoot her," Sherlock moaned in agony, his voice shaking as if he was crying.

"If you say so," Moriarty whispered just loud enough for everyone in the large room to hear. "Gentlemen, take your aim. And…" One last look towards his now defeated opponent. "Fire!"

Molly's crying eyes closed. Stephanie bit her lip and held her head high, not taking her eyes off the head of curls many paces away from her. Sherlock's heart raced and broke all at once. Moriarty waited in anticipation.

The eight guns fired all at once.Au
♠ ♠ ♠
*insert evil Moffat chuckle here