Status: Enjoy! Comments/ advice appreciated

Repens

The Disappearances of Sherlock Holmes

The summer went by too quickly. Between the love made and cases solved, Stephanie Thomas' extended stay in London was more exciting than she had ever hoped her life could be. She had even became great friends and shopping mates with Molly Hooper. Her last night was spent celebrating in the company of their small private group of friends including John, Molly, her aunt, and even Lestrade. Their last love session was bitter-sweet but Thanksgiving would come soon enough- she even thought about bringing her boyfriend to meet her parents for that holiday weekend. Sherlock took her to the airport the next morning and they held hands and kissed as much as possible. When her hand slid out of his, her first seven steps away didn't kill him as they had done before. This wasn't the end. Only their beginning.

Steph went home for two weeks before classes began and spent time with her parents, doing some packing until she left for school. Classes were dull but her new texting habit had proven to be far more interesting than she had expected- especially the occasional photo. She became terribly homesick for London half way through the semester, mostly lovesick for him. Her boring life as a senior student changed one boring day when her roommate came to her about a letter addressed only to a "Cassidy". The letter's contents prepared her for the arrival of Sherlock Holmes, her boyfriend moving to Oxford until she graduated in April.

Their first night in their Oxford townhouse was one they would each cherish forever. Living with him was almost as good as it had been on Baker Street- a bit more private without John or her aunt but still full of cases and mysteries of the historic city only they knew. The two only grew closer and gained a better sense of a few "normal" human traits they had lived so long without.

Thanksgiving came and she finally introduced her parents to the man she claimed had her heart. They were skeptical of her supposed savior and even worried to realize his identity, but he had more than proved himself before the weekend was over. Stephanie was blissful beyond words to spend Christmas in London back at Sherlock's old flat. She had even persuaded her aunt and uncle to allow her favorite cousin, and only true friend, to spend a week of the holiday at Baker Street.

The moment John saw Mary Morstan he loved her. He thought she equaled Stephanie in many ways, though Sherlock would entirely disagree. The two were in a relationship before her time in London ended. Sherlock and Steph only rolled their eyes and pretended to be put off at seeing two people they cherished in love with one another.

The Oxford lovers returned to finish Stephanie's college career. Mary returned to Baker Street for her spring holiday, the magical week John proposed to her. Their London group traveled to watch Stephanie graduate, quite the memorable weekend. Then, to her parents' disbelief, she and Sherlock returned to Baker Street to start their lives together in the place they had begun.

---

They were cuddled together in his bed. The first of many London summer thunderstorms was on the way, predicted to blow through around midnight. John and Mary were still out so 221B was almost silent. Sherlock took a heavy breath of contentment as Stephanie echoed his thoughts and sound. Thunder roared in the distance as he drew lazy circles on her naked shoulder. When he glanced down at her, he met her already staring eyes. How could she amaze him even after all the time they had been together? So many precious memories in Oxford and yet they were still together, still undeniably happy.

"I've… been thinking," he whispered.

"That has proven to be dangerous a time or two," she teased with a sleepy little smirk. Her lips pressed a kiss to his bare chest before their intense stare continued.

"We agreed to an exclusive partnership last summer."

"A relationship, yes."

The long pause suddenly made her nervous. This was unlike him. The moment he had a thought, any thought at all, it came spouting from his mouth. Her heartbeat rose as her chest slightly tightened. She knew that look- the serious romantic thoughtful one that usually came with some change in their relationship. He had looked at her this way the first night they had slept together in this bed, the memorable night of her rescue, their first night together in Oxford, the romantic Christmas Eve, and then now.

"I can feel your heartbeat," he mused. His arms wrapped around her and pulled her closer to him. When she was rested atop his chest with her chin resting on soft crossed arms, he continued. "It's been a year. We've been together for an entire year."

"It's absolutely mad, isn't it?" she quietly giggled. How had a year passed so soon?

"And you're happy? With me? With our present situation?"

"I'll be happier when I have a proper job," she confessed.

"You'll find one. There's no reason you won't be properly employed by fall." That was the most emotional encouragement he knew how to give but it meant all the more to her.

"What are you thinking?"

One last pause before he spoke his mind- possibly changing everything. After tonight, his life was going to change forever, for worse or for better. Sherlock gently slid her off his torso to pull out the drawer of his night stand. She didn't even try to steal a peek. He noticed the slight change of her breathing, more shallow than before. Once he returned, she joined him in sitting upright under the covers.

Then his heart began to fiercely beat against his ribs. Breathing became difficult. He had always mocked men for this but now he understood why so many blokes recalled nearly passing out. But he was above them. He had always been different. That couldn't change now. The small black box in his hand became an object to fiddle with, keeping it out of her view as he took a deep breath.

"We agreed to keep the arrangement simple. As less complicated as possible." Her eyes were completely fixed on him. "But simple doesn't coordinate with my… feelings for you. I love you more than I ever imagined having the capability, the emotional capacity, to do so." Steph began to cut him off but he continued before she could utter a single word in protest. "We've been through so much this last year. We've become fixtures in eachother's lives. I can't even think what my life would be without you a part of it. The very thought is unnatural and stings the soul I never knew I had… until you. So-"

The small box was pulled out and opened. Steph's eyes were wide and she grew speechless. Surrounded in red velvet was the most beautiful diamond ring she had ever seen. The cut and fashion a perfect match of her personality.

"This isn't an engagement ring because that would mean marriage, and that wasn't ever part of either of our personal agendas. But I want you for myself. Forever. I want to be the one you share the rest of your life with. Your fist and last love. I need you by my side for the rest of my life and hope you'll agree to us becoming permanent- without the legal documentation. So, I suppose I'm asking-"

"Sherlock Holmes, I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Not because we have a piece of decorated paper but because…" Her smile lit up the room, despite the darkness around them. "Because you challenge me every day with your snide comments and often selfish oblivious attitudes. You bring out the dreamer in me I thought had died years ago. You have saved me in every way someone can be saved and for that I owe you my very life. I want to share everything with you. We found this way of life together so I see no reason to not continue together. I love you with everything in me. Everything, my love. You're my best friend and soulmate, Sherlock."

They kissed for several minute before she felt his grin growing against her lips. The lovers parted with soft laughter. He removed the sparkling ring from the velvet and slid it up her slightly trembling hand- a perfect fit. Steph stared at it for a few seconds before returning her gaze to him.

"So if anyone asks?"

"You're as good as married," he announced.

Her excited touched expression soon dimmed, turning a bit nervous. He immediately wondered if she was having doubts. She twisted the ring around her finger, taking note of every detail, three times before looking up at him. Her bottom lip slid out from between her teeth.

"And… if I wanted to become Mrs. Holmes?"

He let out a sigh of indifference, secretly more excited than he had ever been in his life. He didn't want her to know how much it really meant to him. The moment she even thought he wanted this, she would feel obligated or trapped to go through with the insane idea.

"You want to… marry me? Legally?" He paused, making one hundred percent sure that she knew what she was doing. "Proper documents, shared last name, law binding-"

"Yes," she answered with confidence, the sweetest sparkle in her eyes.

He could no longer hold in the grin he'd been fighting since she mentioned becoming "Mrs. Holmes".

"When I was kidnapped, the second time," she added with a quick roll of her eyes. "He called me Mrs. Holmes." A thoughtful pause. "I had never wanted to be anyone's misses before that very moment. The thought alone of being eternally bound to someone was sickening and ridiculous. But then there was you." She moved closer to him until their hips touched and she put her hand over his. "I WANT to be your wife, Sherlock Holmes. You insufferable, stubborn, wonderful man."

He looked into her eyes for a few seconds, revealing no emotion in his concentrated face. Her heart raced with high hopes, awaiting his answer to her wish- the one that went against everything he had ever been.

"Then I suppose I'll have to find a tux," he stated dryly.

She squealed before throwing her arms around him. He didn't smile until she couldn't see, his head buried into her shoulder. Once she saw the overjoyed emotional look on his face, they each couldn't hold in a round of blissful laughter.

---

Few knew the real reason Sherlock Holmes disappeared that year. Some thought he went into retirement. Others thought his previous game with Moriarty had taken its toll on his health. But for the next five years, Sherlock and Stephanie Holmes traveled the world solving crimes and living dreams they had never been aware of. Their lives were filled with danger, high risks, endless moving from country to country, and enough romantic nights for two lifetimes. After moving back to London, they announced the coming of their first child- a baby boy they would call Hamish.

THE END?
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello lovies! Yes, this is finally the last chapter. BUT... *drumrole*... I've already written a few scenes for a new idea. I have a few one shots of Sherlock and Steph's life in Oxford and John and Mary storyline planned out. It will be more fluff with a few very brief crime scenes here and there. Anyone interested? PLEASE let me know!

HUGE (like TARDIS flying in the vortex huge) shoutouts to:
AmeliaPond
Hiding!Behind!Daryl
Maggi13