Who Needs Them?

Who Needs Them?

That was it. I knew I could no longer go back on my decision, my decision to leave them behind.

I was going to remove any contact that I had previously had with them. They used to be my friends, but that had changed a long time ago. I was going to use this as my chance to leave them behind.

It wasn’t me, it was them, they had changed. I was no longer classed as a friend, I was now an acquaintance. They were the sort of people that would use you when no one else was around, or if they needed help.

Now I was leaving this town I could leave them behind. Just like I did with everyone else, the same words we used. ‘We’ll stay in contact’. Was this going to be true? I highly doubt it. For a few weeks maybe, but then all contact will cease, and people will be forgotten.

It is surprising what leaving college can do to you.

University allows people to start again. It removes the old unwanted friends, and opens new doors for people. University allows you to create your own path, make your own choices.

For me it was a ‘get out of jail free’ card, it removed the ‘friends’. The friends that had tried to change me, the friends that couldn’t take me for the person I had always been.

I wouldn’t miss them. I didn’t need them.