Kingdom Hearts: Those Left Behind

Chapter Three: The Raft

It was mid-afternoon and Tidus, Wakka, Selphie, and Lulu were on the other side of the island, working together to construct a large wooden raft that would be big enough to support the four of them. Selphie sat on a large rock resting on one end of the sandy shore. She hummed to herself as she worked on the sail, a needle in hand to help patch up the many holes that littered the old, dusty cloth. Wakka was working on the raft itself, gathering up lots and lots of thick, strong rope to tie the many logs of wood together, making absolute sure that the raft would remain sturdy. Tidus went to fetch the wood while Lulu joined him to gather up the fruit that had fallen off the many palm trees that littered the island. When she stumbled upon some fruit, she would bend down and pick it up before examining it closely, making sure it wasn’t bruised or rotten before placing it gently within an old sack she held in her hand.

“Tidus, isn’t it?” Asked Lulu as she picked up another fruit. She looked at it closely and then she shook her head as she noticed a bruise. She then carelessly tossed it behind her, the fruit hitting the grassy ground with a faint thud before slowly rolling downhill towards the shore. “Why are we building a raft again? I…Forgot.” Tidus turned to face Lulu, grinning. “That’s easy. We’re gonna’ leave this place and go to another world.”

“But why?” Asked Lulu.

“Because Sora and Riku are out there somewhere. We’re gonna’ find ‘em. And when we do, we’re gonna’ be right there beside them.” Answered Tidus, pounding the palm of his hand with a fist triumphantly.

“I’ve been neglecting to ask, but who’s Sora and Riku? Are they friends of yours?”

“That’s right. We’ve all been friends for as long as I can remember. We all made a promise to stay together, no matter what.” Tidus grinned, his hands on his waist.

“But then the Heartless came…” Said Lulu in a grim tone.

“But then the Heartless came…” Repeated Tidus, reaching back to scratch the back of his head. “Not our fault the whole island fell into darkness.”

“I’m curious though. How –did- Sora fix everything?” Asked Lulu, reaching down to grab another fruit. She rolled it around in her grasp, smirking as she saw no bruises or any sign of rot. She then placed it right in the bag.

“I dunno’. Maybe it had somethin’ to do with that Keyblade.”

Lulu perked up, blowing away her bang as she stared at Tidus in what looked like bewilderment. “Keyblade? He wields the Keyblade?” Asked Lulu.

“Yeah, apparently. You heard of it?”

“Of course. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t know of the Keyblade.” Answered Lulu. “And what about this Riku person? Does he wield a Keyblade too?”

“That’s right.” Said Tidus with a quick nod of his head.

“Interesting…” Said Lulu.

“You’re telling me. Wish I had a Keyblade.”

Lulu chuckled. “Be careful what you wish for.”

Tidus chuckled and then continued to speak with, “But, yeah, Sora and Riku? Right now they’re probably risking their necks for us and we’re all just standing around like a couple of goofballs doing nothing. So, ya’ know, we all thought that maybe if we can build a raft and leave this place…”

“You can go and help them?” Interrupted Lulu, an eyebrow raised. “It’ll probably be dangerous you know. Who knows what lies beyond this world?”

“Yeah, we know. But still, these are friends we’re talking about. We all made a promise to stick together no matter what. Well, I intend to keep that promise.”

“How noble.” Said Lulu.

“Ya’ think?”

Lulu nodded, a small grin forming across her pale face.

“Hey man, where’s the wood, ya’?” Asked Wakka as he approached the two, Blitball at his side. “If we wanna’ get this raft ready by tomorrow I’m gonna’ need some more wood, ya’?” Wakka then turned to face Lulu. “Yo, Lu. Got enough fruit for the trip ya’?” Lulu would open the sack, holding it out before Wakka. “It’s not much.” Wakka groaned. “That it? Bummer. We gonna’ need a lot of fruit if we’re gonna’ be world hoppin’, ya’?” “Hey Wakka.” Said Tidus. Wakka would then turn his attention to Tidus, resting his head against his Blitball which he held behind his head. “What is it?” He asked. “How’s the sail coming along?” Wakka would hold the Blitzball at his side before gesturing at Selphie who was still sitting on that same rock, humming quietly to herself as she worked on the sail. “Selphie’s almost done with the sail. I can’t say the same about the raft though.” He looked at Tidus.

“Alright, alright….” Said Tidus. “I’ll go get some more wood, okay?”

“You better, ya’?”

“What about me?” Asked Lulu.

“You just worry about the fruit.”

It would be a couple more hours until the raft was finished. It was a beautiful-looking raft, nice and sturdy too. It laid there on the sandy shore, the sail flapping in the wind quietly as the four looked at it, their hearts swelling with pride, a smile on each of their faces as all their hard work paid off. “Sooo…What should we name it?” Ask Tidus. “A name?” Asked Selphie, leaning forward and then turning her head to look at Tidus. “Well, yeah, don’t you think we should give it a name? I say we name it something cool.”

“Oh yeah? Like what, ya’?” Asked Wakka.

“I was thinking, “The Fleeting Dream”.” Said Tidus. “Has a nice ring to it, don’t you think?”

“Ehhh…Personally, I was thinking “The Blackjack”.” Said Wakka. “Sounds cool, ya’?”

“What!? No way! Mine’s better.” Said Tidus, quickly turning around to face Wakka.

“Oh? Says who?”

“Me.”

“You wanna’ fight about it, ya’?” Asked Wakka, looking right down into Tidus’ eyes.

“You bet! Whoever wins gets to name the raft.”

“You’re on Tidus!”

“Let me go get my pole and then we’ll settle this once and for all Wakka!” Tidus would say excitedly before turning around and running off towards the distance. “Aw, who needs it, ya’? Fight me like a man!” Shouted Wakka as he soon ran after Tidus, Blitzball at his side. “I swear, all guys are just little boys.” Said Selphie, placing her hands on her hips. “Hey! Wait for me! Guys!? I wanted to name it, “Galbana”! Guys!? Oh, c’mon!” Shouted Selphie before running after them, kicking up some sand. Lulu smirked as she watched the three of them disappear in the distance, the three of them laughing happily into the wind without a care in the world. She then turned to look at the raft before her, approaching it whilst she held Moggie close to her side.

“What’s that Moggie?” Asked Lulu, turning to look at her doll with a loving smirk, a chuckle escaping those lavender lips. “Hmmm…I agree.” She would say, turning to look at the raft once more, admiring the way the sail flapped in the cool breeze. “I think the “S.S. Liki” is a nice name.”