Kingdom Hearts: Those Left Behind

Chapter Five: Setting Sail

“Man, I still can’t believe we gonna’ name it the “S.S. Liki”.” Groaned Wakka down by the shore, his foot resting on his Blitzball as he rolled it around in the sand. “Don’t be such a crybaby Wakka. Lulu won fair and square.” Barked Selphie, wagging her finger at Wakka. She would then turn to Lulu and smile. “You were great Lulu!” Lulu stood between the two, a smirk on her face. Moggie was riding her shoulder, its plush legs wrapped around her neck, the upper-half of its raggedy body bending backwards, the little pom-pom dangling about after it. “Where’s Tidus? Isn’t he supposed to be meeting us here?” Asked Lulu.

“Good question…” Said Wakka, scratching the back of his head. “Yeah, what’s taking him so long?” Asked Selphie. “That bonehead better not have overslept!” She would pout, her hands on her hips. “Knowing him? Probably, ya’?” Replied Wakka.

“Hey!” Cried a voice from afar.

The three of them turned around and looked past the shore. It was Tidus charging after them, a sword in his hand. Tidus chuckled, grinning as he called out to them again, “Wait for me guys!” His face was a little red and still wet from all those tears. He quickly rubbed his face with the back of his arm as he ran toward the three, sniffing a bit as he found himself standing before them. “What took ya’ bruddah’?” Asked Wakka, a hint of frustration in his voice. “And why is your face red?” Tidus chuckled, doing his best to choke back what was left of the tears that welled up in his eyes, grinning as wide as he can to hide the anger and sorrow buried deep within. “Oh, it’s nothing.” He would lie in a rather chipper voice. “I-I just got something in my eye. That’s all Wakka.”

Wakka quirked a brow. “If you say so…” He would say, a bit of doubt in his voice as he continued to look at Tidus. “Nice sword.” Said Selphie. “Where did you get it?” Tidus looked down at his sword and then at Selphie. “Oh, this old thing…?” He would lie once more, gripping the hilt of his sword.

“Are we ready to go?” Asked Lulu, bouncing the Moogle plush on her shoulder.

“We got food for the trip, ya’?” Asked Wakka, placing his foot beneath the Blitzball and then kicking it upward for him to grab.

“It’s not much, but it should last us until we find another world.” Answered Lulu.

“So what about Munny?” Asked Tidus. “I’m broke.”

“Don’t look at me bruddah’.”

“I have some.” Said Lulu.

“Me too.” Said Selphie. “I did some odd jobs over the past couple of months and saved up some Munny. It’s not much though, so remember to spend it wisely guys.”

“Will do.” Said Tidus. He would then point to what looked like a notebook in Selphie’s hand, now taking notice of it. “Hey, uh, Selphie? What’s that?”

Selphie blinked. “Oh! This? Well, I thought that since we’re all gonna’ go on a journey together, it would be a good idea if someone wrote down and chronicled all that happened, you know?”

“Oh…Kinda’ like what that bug did?” Asked Tidus. “Sounds awesome!”

“Hey, we gonna’ set sail or what?” Asked Wakka, tossing the Blutzball up and down over and over again nonchalantly with but a single hand.

“Me and Tidus will push the raft.” Said Lulu.

“Sounds like a plan to me.” Said Selphie.

And with that, both Wakka and Selphie sat on the S.S. Liki while both Tidus and Lulu pushed the raft, groaning loudly as they used all their strength to push it off the shore, the raft parting the cool morning sand as it finally hit the water and was beginning to drift away rather quickly. Tidus and Lulu then began to wade through the water, Wakka and Selphie reaching over to help the two of them board the S.S. Liki, the little wooden raft shaking as the four of them sat down and got comfortable for what may be a long trip ahead. They all looked back at the island they called their home, a smile on each of their faces as they drifted farther and farther away from the island, the calm, gentle waves carrying the S.S. Liki to the horizon.

“I guess this is good-bye then, ya’?” Asked Wakka, rolling the Blitzball around in his hand.

“Looks like it.” Said Selphie. “But you know, it doesn’t have to be…”

“What do you mean?” Asked Tidus, his sword resting across his lap.

“We can always keep our home in our hearts.” She would say. “That way, it’ll always feel like we’re at home…No matter where our journey takes us.”

Wakka laughed, a bright smile forming across his rugged features as he then said in a hardy voice,
“A’ight, that’s just what we’ll do. No matter what we do from here on out, no matter where we go from here, we’ll be sure to always have room in our hearts for our home, ya’?” He would say. “I mean, just because we’re leavin’ our home doesn’t mean we have to leave all those memories behind, ya’?”

“I wish I had a home for my heart…” Said Lulu. The others turned to look at her. Lulu sighed as she reached up to grab Moggie. “If it wasn’t for Moggie, my heart would be empty…”

“But, Lu…Don’t you have a home, ya’? You did come from another world, right?” Asked Wakka.

“But I have no memory of it.” Said Lulu, hugging the Moogle doll, holding it close. “It might as well have not even existed.”

“But you remember getting that doll from your mom, right? That’s something, isn’t it?” Asked Selphie.

“That’s correct. My mom gave it to me before the Heartless came.”

Selphie smiled. “Then just keep Moggie in your heart then Lulu.” She would say. “Sora once told me that memories…They never truly go away. They just remain locked away deep down in your heart somewhere. I’m willing to bet that you still remember your world Lulu; you just keep those memories locked away in your heart is all. I’m confident that so as long as you never let Moggie out of your sight, you’ll unlock those memories someday.”

Lulu smirked as she held out the Moogle plush before her, looking at it lovingly, taking note of all its features before setting it down gently before her. She would look up to see Tidus, Wakka, and Selphie all smiling at her. “Thanks.” She would say with a smirk.

And they all would turn and watch as that humble little island disappeared over the horizon.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's at this point that I realize that..."Emotional" scenes aren't my strong point.