Kingdom Hearts: Those Left Behind

Chapter Eight: Traverse Town

“Oh where is that troublesome waif!?” Asked Doctor Shantotto with a sigh of frustration as she walked across the large plaza which made up the Third District of Traverse Town. Her hips swayed in a rather cute fashion as her pigtails bobbed up and down, her staff sheathed behind her, her arms crossed as she looked about at the many tall buildings that surrounded the dimly lit plaza. She soon stopped in her tracks, her hands on her hips. “Doesn’t she know that wandering around, out and about, is unsafe?” She would ask again, reaching up to adjust her glasses.

She huffed, folding her arms under her chest once again. “That slacker had better hope that she is in danger…” She would say. “…Or else she’ll face my wrath, and for that, she is no stranger.” Shantotto turned her head to the left, and then to the right, carefully examining her surroundings.

Nothing.

Shantotto sighed, shrugging. “It would appear as though she isn’t here. I wonder… Did she go and disappear?”

Shantotto quickly spun around, her ears twitching as she heard an awfully familiar noise behind her. Suddenly popping into existence was a small number of Soldier Heartless, their armor rattling as they danced and wiggled about, brandishing their long, sharp claws menacingly, their bright, yellow eyes staring at Shantotto unblinking. “Hmph!” Huffed Shantotto dismissively a she withdrew her staff. “Oh, how utterly annoying and droll, haven’t you yet learned that my heart is not for your lot to swallow whole?” More Heartless began to appear behind her. More Soldiers, judging by the sound of rattling armor. “Very well, if it is a death wish you seek, then who am I to turn the other cheek?” And with that, Shantotto cackled haughtily as the Heartless readied themselves to pounce.

***

“Yo, I wonder where Lor’s at.” Said Carver as he leaned against the outside wall of the Suits and Dresses shop of the Second District. “Isn’t she with Shantotto?” Asked Tino, taking a good, hard, long sip of his Chugga Freeze.

“Oh yeah…”

“That’s Doctor Shantotto.” Corrected Tish, adjusting her glasses.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I wasn’t aware that I was talking to a member of her fan-club.” Smirked Tino.

“Man…” Sighed Carver, kicking the ground. “I wish she’d be here already, we’ve already wasted two hours, thirty-seven minutes, and twenty-one seconds of our weekend!”

“You actually keep count?” Asked Tino.

“To be more precise, it’s been two hours, thirty-seven minutes, and twenty-three seconds.” Corrected Tish again.

“That’s even worse!”

“Okay guys, I’m sure Lor will be here soon. She’s never let us down before, right?” Asked Tino with a smile on his face. Both Tish and Carver just looked at him quietly. “Right…?”

“In what universe do you live in?” Asked Carver.

Tish sighed as she grabbed onto the rail nearby and hopped right on it, taking a seat in-front of both Carver and Tino. “Sooo…Have you guys heard about the new arrivals?” She would ask, tossing her long, brown hair back with but a flick of her wrist.

“No. What new arrivals?” Asked Carver.

“Okay, so, you know the guys who own that Gummi Ship garage in the First District?” Asked Tish.

“Oh yeah! Balthier and…And, uh…”

“Fran?” Finished Tino.

“Yeah, I knew that.”

“Sure you did Carv, and clowns secretly control the government.” He took another sip of his Chugga Freeze.

“Okay, guys, focus!” Snapped Tish. “Well, anyway, they both found a couple of kids, just like us!”

“Get out!” Said Carver, his eyes wide with excitement.

“Well it’s true! Balthier and Fran found them just lying around in the First District.”

“Maybe their home got destroyed by the Heartless too.” Said Tino.

“I’d say there’s a strong possibility.” Said Tish.

“Hey!”

Tish, Carver, and Tino would turn their heads to face the direction from where the voice came from. The three of them recognized it immediately.

“Hey guys!”

It was Lor and she was running toward the others, a smile on her face. She stopped dead in her tracks, taking a few short breaths as she rested her hands on her knees. “What’s up guys?” She would ask, reaching up to pull up her pointy brown hat so it wouldn’t obscure her vision as she looked at her friends. “Okay, honestly, I don’t know why you wear that thing.” Said Carver, his hands in his pockets. “It’s so…Uncool.” Lor stood up straight and answered with, “Yeah, well, Shantotto calls it a “Black Mage’s Hat”, whatever that is.” She would then reach up to adjust her hat, clutching the wide brim with her fingers. “You look like a mariachi.” Said Tino.

“Sooo…How did you find time away from Doctor Shantotto?” Asked Tish, reaching up to remove her glasses. She would then breath into each lens before wiping them both down with her shirt.

“Are you kidding me?” Asked Lor. “Man, Shantotto has been working me hard.”

“Yeah, well, you wanted to be a Black mage or whatever.” Said Tino.

“Well, yeah, but I didn’t think I’d actually have to –work- at it!”

“So then how did you get away from her then?” Asked Carver.

“Oh, I ran away when she wasn’t looking.” Said Lor bluntly.

“Oooh…Bad idea Lor.” Groaned Carver, wincing as though he were in pain.

“Yeah Lor, you know how angry Doctor Shantotto can get.” Said Tish putting her glasses back on.

“Yeah, you can say that again.” Said Tino, finishing up his Chugga Freeze. “Remember what happened last time? She turned you into a toad.”

“Yeah, we had to keep you in a cage and everything for a week!” Said Carver.

“Oh yeah…Now I remember.” Said Lor. She then shivered, all those horrid memories of eating flies coming right back to her. Even to this day she still gets a craving for flies every now and again.

“Well, I’m sure she won’t find me this time. Heck, I don’t even think she knows I’m missing!”

“Well in that case, you all wanna’ head to the arcade?” Asked Tino.

“Count me in!” Shouted Lor, pumping her fist excitedly.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, who else remembers the Weekenders?