Kingdom Hearts: Those Left Behind

Chapter Nine: The New World

Tidus groaned, his body still aching from all the pain as he slowly opened his eyes. He blinked, adjusting his eyes to the bright light that surrounded him. He moaned as he tried to sit up, his entire body sore, his joints aching. “Wha-Where the heck am I…?” He would mutter silently to himself. He then reach up and grabbed his forehead. “Ow…” He would moan, his head throbbing painfully. He would look around. He found himself on a nice cozy bed that was tucked away to one side of a small room next to three other beds. It was very warm and quite cozy, and much to his surprise, he spotted his sword gently resting against the wall across from where he was convalescing. But, where are the others? All he could remember was that there was a storm, and then, utter blackness after he was hit in the head by a piece of the S.S. Liki. He would be frightened if he wasn’t in so much pain.

“Ah, good, you’re awake.” Said an unknown voice in the room. Tidus would turn his head to see a strange woman that had just wandered into the room. He would look at her curiously, having seen nothing like her before. She was tall, like, really tall with dark skin and long white hair. She wore heels and was adorned in what looked like armor, but it was black. She had long nails and wore a helmet of sorts. But perhaps the oddest thing about this woman and what really stood out for Tidus was the long, rabbit-like ears. Tidus groaned, clenching his teeth, trying to speak through the pain that wracked his shirtless form. “M-My friends…Where…?”

“Quiet now. You’re hurt.” Said the woman in an odd, yet surprisingly alluring accent. Just who was she…? “Your friends are fine. Here…” Then, with a wave of her hand, a strange green light surrounded Tidus. And it was then that Tidus could feel all his pain slip away in an instant. He smiled and hopped right out of bed. “Wow, thanks! You know magic…?” He would say as he began to run in place, stretching his aching limbs, getting some exercise as he yawned loudly. “Some.” She would say in response. “Your friends are downstairs.” She would turn around and reach for the door.

“Wait!” Shouted Tidus, walking towards her. The odd woman cocked her head to look at Tidus.

“Yes…?” It was quite obvious to Tidus that she wasn’t a talkative type. He’d be lying if he said he wasn’t a little bit intimidated by her. “Who are you?” He would ask. “Fran.” She answered bluntly, turning back around.

“Uh, hey, wait!”

“Yes…?”

“Just where am I?” Tidus would ask.

“Traverse Town. Feel free to come downstairs when you’re ready.” And with that, she walked out the door.

Tidus stood there, a big, goofy grin forming across his features. He chuckled. “Sweet.” He would say to himself. He was now in another world. They had done it. Sure, it was a little rough getting here, what the storm and that really obnoxious octopus that gave them some trouble way back when, but…It was all worth it. Maybe now they can find Sora and Riku.

And maybe, even his old man.

Tidus shook his head the very second that thought crossed his mind. He groaned. For the moment, he’s just glad that he and his friends made it through okay. He opened the door and saw himself out.

Tidus would now find himself on what appeared to be a loft of sorts with a wooden rail lining it, leading towards a set of stairs that led down to the floor below. “Whoah…” Tidus would say in amazement as he looked down. In the very center of the room was a Gummi Ship. Though he’s never encountered one up close, he has seen all the crude drawings that Sora made back at home on his world. It was –huge- and it so bright and colorful, like something out of a children’s coloring book almost. The floor below was also an absolute mess with what looked like Gummi Blocks scattered about, the walls littered with what looked like schematics of various Gummi Ship designs. There were even boxes of Gummi Blocks stacked haphazardly about through room. It was a wonder how anyone could navigate this building with all this junk in the way.

“Yo Tidus!” Shouted a familiar voice down below. It was Wakka. Tidus looked down and grinned at Wakka, waving at him. “Yo Wakka!” He would say excitedly, gripping the rail in-front of him. He would then hop the rail and fall all the way down to the bottom floor with a loud thud, right on his feet.

“Careful now, don’t want you breaking anything important.”

Tidus turned around. Standing right behind him was a tall, rather well-dressed man with short brown hair with blond highlights and sharply styled sideburns. He was incredibly handsome in appearance, a regular prince charming. He spoke in a rather smooth, rather charming voice and he reminded Tidus a lot of those old swashbuckler-types he heard about only in fairy tales.

“Name’s Balthier. And you must be Tidus, I presume?” He would ask. “I notice you were rather impressed by my Gummi Ship.” He would then say with a sly, almost cocky grin on his face. “Well you should be. I call it the Strahl.”

“Yeah, he claims it’s the fastest Gummi Ship in the world.”

Tidus turned around, now noticing Selpie sitting on a large cardboard box that was propped up against the side of the Gummi Ship, writing something down in what appeared to be in a new notebook, no doubt because the other either went missing or was soaked beyond repair. “But I don’t believe him.” She would say.

“Everyone’s a critic.” Sighed Balthier. “Now where’s that Gummi Block…” He would then say, scanning the floor carefully.

“So, uh, where’s Lulu?” Asked Tidus.

As if on cue, he heard her voice not far from where he was standing. “Is this what you’re looking for?” Asked Lulu as she picked up a Gummi Block off a small wooden table that was located beneath a large blueprint that was tacked to the wall. She then presented it to Balthier. It was a small blue block with strange yellow spikes sticking right out of it. “That would be the one.” Said Balthier, reaching out to take it. “Thank you my dear.”

“So, have ya’ heard bruddah’? We’re in another world.” Said Wakka. “I heard!” Shouted Tidus in a rather excitable manner. “Traverse Town, right?” Asked Tidus.

“That is correct.” Said Fran standing near the doorway that led right outside the building.

“Didn’t Sora mention a place called Traverse Town?” Asked Wakka.

“Yeah, I believe so.” Answered Tidus.

“What’s Traverse Town?” Asked Lulu, Moggie in hand, holding it by its plush arm.

“Oh! That’s easy!” Said Tidus. “It’s…Well, it’s sorta’ like…Um, I forgot.” Said Tidus with an embarrassed chuckle, reaching back to scratch the back of his head.

“What did I tell ya’, ya’? Hopeless.” Grinned Wakka.

“H-Hey!”

“This world exists as a refuge for those whose homes were destroyed by the Heartless.” Said Fran. “Those who are fortunate to survive end up here, where they will remain until their world is restored.”

“Oh yeah…I knew that.” Said Tidus, resting his head against the palms of his hands. “So is that why you and Balthier are here?”

Fran shook her head, “no”.

“Actually, our world is all fine and dandy. We just decided to…Expand our horizons.” Said Balthier.

“What about you?”

“We left our world to search for some friends.” Answered Lulu, hugging her doll.

“I see. Well, I wish you luck. You’re going to need it if you plan on searching this town.”

“Why’s that?” Asked Tidus.

“Apparently, there are Heartless lurking about, ya’?”

“Here?”

“Annoying little buggers they are.” Said Balthier, a slight frown on his face. “Always scurrying about in search of Hearts to dine on…”

“You should be safe here in the First District.” Said Fran. “But be careful should you choose to venture to any of the other districts.”

“Will do.” Tidus.

“I wouldn’t worry too much, ya’? We fought Heartless before.” Said Wakka.

“And that’s what the last poor sod said before leaving the First District. Now, he’s one of them.” Balthier would say grimly. “They shouldn’t pose a real threat to any of you. You’ll mostly find Shadows and Soldiers outside and they’re rather disorganized, but one should still practice caution.”

“Thanks! So, what should we do?” Asked Tidus.

“We can go look for Sora and Riku.” Suggested Lulu. “We can start by searching the Second District and just work our way from there.” She smirked.

“Sounds like a plan to me.” Said Tidus.

“Just be sure you are all ready before you leave this district.” Warned Fran.

“I’ll be staying here.” Said Selphie as she closed her notebook.

“Why?” Ased Tidus.

Selphie would hop off the box. “I said I’d help Balthier and Fran with their Gummi Ship. Besides, I’d only slow you guys down. Good luck though.” She smiled wide and waved.

“Well, let me go get my sword.” Said Tidus. “Then we can go.”

“Might I make a suggestion?” Asked Balthier. “I recommend you all visit the shop here. They sell all sorts of useful stuff. Items, weapons, you name it. It might be wise to check it out before you all go off to fight Heartless.”

“Noted.” Said Lulu.
♠ ♠ ♠
For those curious, this all takes place -during- the events of Dream Drop Distance. However, because of financial issues, I've yet to play the game. So, as I'm writing this, I find myself constantly checking the wiki to make absolute sure my "fanon" isn't clashing horribly with officially established canon.

"Oh, but it's just fanfiction, what does it really matter?" You have a point, but I'm of the belief that one should always stay true to the source material when writing fanfiction. But that's just me.

Anywho, I hope you all enjoy and as always, comments and criticism is -loved-.