Everything About You

Apartments & the Past

Zayn sighed out the last of the smoke in swirls. After flicking the butt of the cigarette, he stuffed his hands in his leather jacket. He was leaning against the bus, waiting for the rest of the boys to hang out for their day off. They were in New Jersey, not too far from Nicola’s apartment.

“Zayn,” Harry waved a hand in front of his face, “you there, mate?”

Zayn shook his head and slid his eyes to his friend, “yeah, sorry.”

“So, what are the plans today?”

“Uh,” Zayn scratched the back of his neck, “I’m not sure.”

“Let’s go explore the wonders of dirty Jersey,” Louis snickered from behind Harry.

Nicola stepped off the bus. Niall was following behind her. She started laughing at what Louis said. Her hair was in soft curls that flowed over her shoulders. Her white jeans looked new and a maroon colored tank peaked through a black zip up jacket. A black messenger bag was slung over one shoulder. Her black painted fingers wrapped around her bag.

“You seriously know Jersey, eh Louis?” Nicola grinned at the boy.

Zayn stared at her in amazement, “I think he was just joking around.”

“I know,” Nicola said in a flat tone, “I’m going to go head to my apartment. It’s not too far from here. Just a few towns over.”

Niall jumped in her statement, “Can I go with you?”

Nicola’s face light up, “sorry,” she placed a hand on Niall’s shoulder, “I don’t think my apartment is all that interesting.”

“But,” his lip started to quiver.

“Niall,” she whined, “it’s a dump.”

“I don’t care,” he smiled at her.

“Fine,” she huffed out a breath.

“Why don’t we all go? Nicola can show us around,” Louis wrapped one arm around Nicola’s shoulder.

Zayn felt a pang of jealousy. Louis’s arm was on her. It was something he wanted to do. He wanted to be able to run his fingers through her long, brown hair. He wanted to graze his finger tips on her pale skin. He wanted to stare at her in the eyes and have her look like she was about to kiss him. Nicola made his heart jolt, while Nicola wasn't affected by Zayn.

“It’s not going to be very interesting,” she snorted.

“It’s quite alright,” Liam piped up, “it’s better than wandering aimlessly around an area we've never been to,” he shrugged.

“Well,” she sighed, her hand massaging the back of her neck, “if you all want. I doubt you all will even fit in my tiny apartment. Either way, we won’t be in it long. I just wanted to check up on it.”

The rest of the boys nodded and they all headed to a rental car for them. Nicola was voted to drive, since she knew where to go. Also for the fact that it was America and driving was different in England.

Zayn sat in the back with Harry, Liam, and Louis. Niall sat in front with Nicola. Zayn couldn't believe Nicola favored Niall over him. Zayn rested his head on the back of the seat, while his fisted hands were shoved into his leather jacket. All he wanted to do was smoke another cigarette and be done with today so he can be on stage where he was cared about.

Nicola’s eyes would catch glimpses of Zayn in the rear view mirror that sat in the middle of the van’s front window. Zayn was staring out the window. Houses, streets, and people passed by in a blur.

Soon, but not soon enough for Zayn, the van was parked outside a red brick building. Zayn took in the surroundings of the area. He had a warm sensation of home here. It felt like Bradford to him. The streets were pretty empty, but the cars that drove by blasted music. The houses on the block looked worn out. Zayn’s attention was taken with a group of three guys across the street. They smoked and stared at the women that passed by quickly.

“Hey ma,” his ears perked at a males voice, “where have you been.”

Zayn looked over at a smiling Nicola. Her face lit up in realization of who was talking. Her leather clad feet hopped over to the man. His head was shaved and he had a few tattoos going down his neck.

“Vinny,” she squealed, “baby!!” she embraced the man in a tight hug. The man’s hands wandered down to her butt and lifted her from the ground.

Zayn’s blood boiled. His heart raced with more jealousy. His fisted hands only tightened in anger for the man that held onto Nicola.

“Who you got here?” the man named Vinny eyed the five boys staring at the duo in confusion.

“These are the boys I’m touring with,” she was let down and her hand was folded in his.

“Oh,” he nodded, “they look like they’re your scene chica.”

“No, they’re not,” she giggled, “but a jobs, a job. You know?” her shoulders lifted in a shrug.

“I got it mama,” he smiled.

“Oh, and boys,” her nose crinkled when her smile grew wider, “this is Vinny. He’s my ex.”

“Hi, there,” Louis was the first to shake the man’s hand, “I’m Louis.” the man took his hand and shook it.

“Liam,” he nodded and repeated the firm hand shake.

“Harry Styles,” he introduced in his slow voice.

“Oh, Niall,” Nicola jolted, “Niall is such a sweetheart. I do adore my Irish men,” she winked at Niall.

“That’s me, mate,” Niall shook the man’s hand.

“Don’t do anything to my girl,” Vinny held onto his hand, “if you do, I’ll have to kill ya.”

“Oh, hush,” Nicola swatted at Vinny’s arm.

“And that’s Zayn,” her voice deflated as she said my name.

“Looks to me that Zayn isn’t the favorite,” Vinny chuckled, “don’t worry, bro. Nicola’s a hard cookie to crack.”

“Oh shove it, Vinny,” Nicola rolled her eyes at the man, “I just got to check up on my apartment. You know, to make sure everything is where I left it.”

“Okay, baby,” he wrapped Nicola in one last hug before strolling back down the streets.

“Okay, guys,” she huffed and led the way to her door.

Nicola unlocked the door and let it squeak open. She trotted over to a desk where she had a pile of papers. It looked as if she was looking for something. The boys joined her in the small living area of the apartment. It was mid-day and the sun was shining through the small windows of the small, enclosed space. It was silent for a while until Niall jumped over to Nicola.

“Nic,” he cocked his head at her as she went through her papers.

“What?” she sighed.

“How old was that guy?”

“Vinny?” she eyed Niall now.

The rest of the boys attention was now taken at Niall’s question.

“Yeah,” he clucked his tongue.

“He’s twenty-five. Why do you ask?” she stopped what she was doing.

“I don’t know. I was just curious,” Niall bit his lip, “he’s doesn’t look like your type.”

Nicola sat on the chair that was placed in front of the desk. He watched her prop her elbow on the mahogany desk and let her face sink into her palm. Her facial expression changed suddenly. Her once glowing smile had faded to a frown that made her brows crease her forehead.

“He’s not, but,” she announced, “he was my boyfriend for almost two years.”

“You started going out with him when you were sixteen?” Louis walked over to Nicola to have a better look at her.

“Yeah,” she let out a long breath.

“You don’t look like you were hurt from the break up,” Harry spoke as he went to sit on another chair about four feet from Nicola.

“I wasn’t.”

“Then what happened?” Liam sounded like a concerned father.

Zayn leaned against the door to Nicola’s bedroom. Nicola sat right across from it. Her eyes scanned her apartment before landing on Zayn. His eyes bore into hers. He captured her for once in the past several days.

She bit her lip and continued to stare at Zayn, “it’s a long story.”

“We have time,” Louis urged her to go on.

She blinked once and let the story come out, “Vinny was my drug dealer. He has been ever since I was thirteen. It wasn’t until I was sixteen when he decided I should be his girlfriend. He just turned twenty-three. He said I would the ultimate birthday gift. Me being a druggie that it was the best idea at the time,” he eyes began to glisten , “So, Vinny,” she took in a shaky breath, “he used me in every possible way you could use someone. I was his girlfriend, so the sex, I didn’t mind. It was everything else I was disgusted by.

“Vinny was the type of guy who would beat some up if they even looked at me for a second. He was overly protective. On bad days, he would,” she let a tear fall from her eye before continuing, “he would,” but she was stuck.

“Nicola,” Zayn spoke, not moving, “what did he do?”

Nicola’s eyes left his as she cried. She couldn’t even say what happened out loud. She hated Vinny, but was too scared to do anything about it.

“He,” her eyes returned to Zayn’s, “he beat me,” she sobbed, “and he used me as his little prostitute to get some extra cash.”

“Shit,” Niall wrapped his arms around her and squeezed her in comfort.

“He was the one to break it off. He found another girl to screw over,” Nicola embraced Niall and let her chin settle on Nialls’ shoulder, “no one else knows about this. I’ve kept it a secret and I was hoping to keep it that way. But,” she let her close, “he had to show up in my neighborhood today. It’s hard to escape him when he lives in the same town.”

“Move,” Liam suggested.

“Oh, that would be wonderful,” Niall let go of Nicola as she spoke, “except how? With what money? I only took this gig to make some cash to pay these fucking bills,” she pushed the large pile of papers.

Niall, being curious, went though them, “Shit,” he grabbed one, “there are like months worth here. Do you ever pay anything on time?”

“No,” she sighed.

It seemed like minutes only passed by, but the clock showed it was already six in the afternoon. The boys and Nicola returned to the van parked in front of her apartment. Nicola’s arm was laced in Niall’s as Harry wrapped his arm protectively around her shoulders.

“Does anyone else know how to drive in America? Because I really don’t want to,” Nicola sighed.

“I can,” Harry grabbed the keys.

Harry revved the engine as soon as everyone was seated. Nicola wedged her head in Niall’s neck and cuddled to him. Louis’s hand was placed on her knee in reassurance. Liam sat by the window and looked as if he was deep in thought. Zayn was in front with Harry. Zayn hated when Harry drove. If he was a bad driver in England, he was even scarier in America.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story just did a one-eighty. I did not even see that coming. It's kind of crap though. haha...
Comments, recommends, subscribers?

Nicola's Attire

X Dani