Sequel: Unhinged

All of Me

My Heart Is Out At Sea, My Head All Over The Place

I miss you, I read the text over and over again. There was no way I could send this to her, I quickly erased the words. I missed her so much, I couldn’t believe how much this had affected us. D had always been there for me, through everything and for her to be gone, just like that, was the worst feeling in the world.

Hope all is well. Thinking about you… This time I pressed ‘send’.

Of course I didn’t get a response, not like I expected one anyway.

“Nick, why don’t you go out with some friends or something? Keep yourself busy” My Mom said as she entered my room and sat next to me on my bed.

“I don’t feel like it.”

“I know you’re hurting right now, but I think if you go out it will take your mind off of her.”

“Yeah, I don’t know about that.” I sighed

“Just try.” My mom placed a kiss on my head and left the room.

My phone vibrated and my heart skipped a beat, I hoped it was D. Hey Nick, I was hoping to see if we could go out and do something tonight?

I looked at the message with disgust. Instead of replying to the message I deleted Kelsey from my contacts. I didn’t need to fuck this up any further. Maybe I would take my mom’s advice and go out and do something.

“Mom, I’m going to go hang out with Jake. I’ll be back later” I yelled as I ran down the stairs

“Alright sweetie, be careful. Don’t come home too late.” She replied

--

“How are you holding up man?” He asked

I shrugged, “Fine, I guess.”

I looked down at my feet and kicked a few rocks on the ground to the side. We were waiting in line to buy movie tickets.

“So, would you be mad if I dated her?” Jake said with a smirk

“That’s not funny.”

“Chill, I’m just kidding. She is pretty hot though.”

“Shut the fuck up dude.” I said getting irritated

“Sorry, you’re right. Not a time to be joking.” He said as he placed a hand on my shoulder.

And that’s when I heard her laugh. My head immediately popped up and I scanned the area looking for her. She was a couple of people ahead of us in line.

“Do you think we could just skip the movie and do something else?” I asked

“Why?”

I stared at her, “She’s here.”

“Nick, you guys can’t avoid each other forever. Go talk to her.”

“Are you crazy? I can’t just go talk to her, she won’t even respond to my texts.”

“Just go say hi, what could go wrong?”

“Uh, she’ll treat me like crap and I’ll feel even worse about us.”

“If you don’t go talk to her, I’m going to yell her name to get her attention.”

I sighed. I did not want to do this but I found myself moving toward her. She was with a couple of friends.

When I reached her, I became nervous. My mouth suddenly stopped working and I decided it would be a good idea to just get the hell out of there before she saw me,

“Oh, hey Nick” Her friend, Haley said.

Damn it.

I turned back around to face the three girls, my eyes met hers.

“Hi,” I said shyly, “How are you girls doing this evening?”

D didn’t say a word, I could see in her face she was upset

“Alrighty then, I’m going to head back to my friends. I’ll see you girls later” I said awkwardly and I turned to find my way back to Jake. After a few seconds of walking, I felt a hand grab my arm.

“I… I just wanted to see if you were okay” Her voice was shaky.

I looked down at my feet, “I’m okay D, you don’t need to worry about me.” I said softly.

I just wanted to reach out and hold her. I wanted to tell her how badly I missed her and how much I loved her, but I couldn’t.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

“I think so… I better get back to my friends. I just wanted to check on you” She said with a small smile.

“Like I said, you don’t need to worry about me” I repeated, I reached out and grabbed a strand of her hair and swallowed hard. She stared at me for a minute before moving away.

“I’m sorry.” I said.

“I better get back.” She backed up a few steps before turning around to meet back up with her friends.

Jake got out of line and made his way to me.

“Are you okay?” He asked.

“Yeah, yeah. Can we do something else?”

“Of course. Let’s go.”

I didn’t realize how painful it would be to see her again, especially after having no contact with her for almost three weeks.

My heart hurt. It hurt so much, I hoped to never see her again.