Sequel: Unhinged

All of Me

How The Hell Did You Ever Pick Me?

I turned to tell D, but she was already sleeping. I cursed under my breath. How could we have been so irresponsible? Despite my worrying, I thought it would just be best to go to sleep and talk with D about it in the morning.

“Nick,” I was being shaken awake, “Nick.” She said again.

“What? I’m up.” I said as I glanced over at her clock to see what time it was, 7:30am. I groaned.

“D, it’s Saturday. Why are you waking me up this early?”

“We need to talk.”

“Can it wait?”

“No.”

I groaned again, but sat up this time. “What do we need to talk about at this time in the morning?”

“We didn’t use anything last night.”

I rubbed my eyes, still exhausted from the night before.

“Don’t worry about it, we’ll take you to the doctors to get a morning after pill. Maybe birth control?” I suggested.

She stood quiet for a few minutes and I decided to lie back down.

“We wouldn’t have to do this if you weren’t so irresponsible.” She muttered.

I sat up in disbelief. “Me? I’m sorry but I think it’s both of our faults.”

“Nick, you should’ve known.”

“Don’t you think you should’ve checked before you let me fuck you?” I spat.

I could tell I had hurt her with my use of the word ‘fuck’.

I sighed. “Look, I’m sorry. We just need to be more responsible the next time.”

“Well, next time won’t be for a long time.” Her eyes narrowed.

“Oh for fuck’s sake. Why are you being so immature about this?”

She said nothing more. I watched as she got up to walk over to the bathroom and she slammed the door behind her.

I felt obligated to check on her. I pulled my boxers on and walked over to the bathroom door.

“D?” I said as I knocked on the door, “Can I come in?”

“Leave me alone.” I heard her say.

I rolled my eyes. It was too early to play this game with her. “Fine, I’ll be home. When you’re ready to go to the doctors, let me know.”

I got dressed and grabbed my keys off of her nightstand and exited the room. I almost immediately bumped into her mom. I cursed again.

“Nick, mind I ask what you are doing here this early?” She asked suspiciously.

I couldn’t lie. She definitely knew I had spent the night. “I...I’m sorry, I fell asleep here last night.”

“Don’t let it happen again.” She warned.

I nodded in agreement and continued down the stairs, “Oh and please, no more sex in my house.”

I felt myself turn red from embarrassment but said okay and quickly hurried to my car so nothing more could be said.

When I arrived to my house, my Mom was already up. She was sat in the kitchen, sipping a cup of coffee. “Where were you last night Nick?”

“D’s house.”

“You know you’re not allowed to stay over.”

“I know, I know. I already got an ear full from her mom, so could we please skip this?”

“Nick,” She began, “Are you two being, you know, responsible?”

All I wanted to do was go back to sleep but I was finding that to be impossible right now.

“Yes.” I lied.

“Good.”

“Can I please go up to bed now?”

She nodded and I practically booked it for my room. I was so tired. I plopped down on my bed and immediately fell asleep. Not even two hours later, I was woken up by my phone ringing.

“Hello?” I said in a sleepy voice.

“Can you please come get me?” She asked.

“Are you going to act like an adult?” I said in a harsh tone.

She seemed to ignore that comment.

“Be here in ten minutes Nick.”

I groaned once more but got up. I threw on the first pair of jeans and shirt I saw. I decided to wear a hat today as well, just because I had bad bed head.

“I’ll be back later,” I said to my Mom, “I have to take D to do a few things.”

“Ok, be careful.”

--

The drive to D’s house felt longer than usual. I didn’t really want to see her right now but I didn’t have much of a choice.

I’m here. I texted her.

It didn’t take long for her to come out and get into my car. I leaned over to kiss her but she turned away from me.

“Seriously?” I asked.

“Let’s go, we’re going to be late.”

“Whatever you say, princess.” I said sarcastically.

It took us twenty minutes or so to arrive at the doctor’s office. Once I parked, she pretty much jumped out of my car.

“Do you want me to come with?” I asked.

“No.” She spat.

“Are you sure?”

Her eyes lowered to the ground, I could tell she was scared about this whole situation. “Please come.” She whispered.

She was so stubborn, she always seemed to pick a fight. But I didn’t protest. I got out of my car, locking the doors behind me.

“Come on then.”

We sat in the waiting room for just a few minutes until her name was called.

She got up but turned to me when she realized I wasn’t following behind. “Come.” She said softly.

“You want me to?”

She nodded and took my hand.

I sat in the extra chair in the exam room whilst she sat on the exam table. I just listened as the doctor asked her a couple of questions. After a few minutes, she brought D the morning after pill and asked us if we had any more questions. D said no, but she said nothing about birth control so I spoke up.

“What if we wanted to try out a form of birth control?” I asked.

D’s eyes darted toward me.

“Is that what you want?” The doctor asked D.

She nodded.

The doctor suggested the use of pills, explaining she would need to take one every day at the same time.

“D, you sure? You’re not too good with pills.” I said.

“I’m sure I can manage.”

“Great then.” The doctor said.

“I have another question,” I said and D looked at me like she was embarrassed. “Now that she’s going to be on the pill, do we still need to use a condom?”

She looked mortified. I couldn’t help but ask those questions. I didn’t want this to happen again.

“Well, it takes a full week before the birth control takes any effect. However, to protect against sexually transmitted diseases, we recommend condoms to be worn."

I nodded and thanked her for her time.

“Nick!” D hissed once the doctor left the room.

“What? I just want to be sure we’re doing this properly.”

She rolled her eyes and didn’t talk to me again until we exited the doctor’s office.

“Are you feeling any better yet?” I asked.

She ignored me.

“D?”

“Please take me home.”

“You’re seriously going to continue being mad at me?”

“Nick, please just take me home.”

I started my car. “Fucking hell D. Grow the fuck up.”

We finally pulled up to her house, the drive felt long and uncomfortable.

Before getting out, D turned to me.

“Thank you for bringing me Nick.”

“Of course.” I mumbled.

D placed a kiss on my head.

“D, why did you pick me?”

She looked at me and grabbed my hand. “Nick, I’ve known you my entire life. I fell in love with every piece of you.”

“Why do we treat each other like this? We never used to."

She sighed. “I just think we need some time.”

“From each other? Again?” I asked, clearly I didn’t agree with this idea.

“Well not entirely. Just the physical aspect.”

“D, what happened last night will not happen again, It was just a mistake.”

“I know.” She mumbled.

“Then what’s the problem?”

“Please Nick, just respect it? No sex for a while okay?”

I groaned, “Seriously?”

Her eyes narrowed.

“Alright, alright.” I said.

I sometimes felt she had changed and it made me wish that we weren’t in a relationship.

Just sometimes…