Sequel: Unhinged

All of Me

Remember When You Were My Boat and I Was Your Sea?

For some reason, D and I weren’t talking as much as I would like us to. We would small talk but nothing much more. I knew we were still together, we still acted like a couple. Just something felt different.

“Can I come over tonight?” I asked.

“I don’t know if that’s a good idea.”

“Seriously?” I groaned, “We haven’t properly spent time together in months D.”

“I know, I know. I’m just, I dunno, I’m just busy.”

I groaned.

“Why are you still acting like a child?”

“Nick, I have to go.”

I didn’t even get a chance to say goodbye before she ended the call. Why was she acting like this? I was getting sick and tired of it.

I looked at my phone for a few minutes before deciding to give her a call.

“Hey, I was wondering if you would wanna hang out tonight? Maybe talk?” I asked.

“Um, sure. Do you want to drive, or do you want me to?”

“I’ll come pick you up. Would an hour be enough time for you?”

“Sure. See you soon!”

--

“Hi.” I said as I greeted Cassidy with a hug.

“Hey, are you doing okay?” She asked.

I shrugged. Truthfully I didn’t know. D had me on a roller coaster.

“Well, let's go get your mind off things.” She said.

We went to a small diner to grab a bite to eat. Cassidy was undeniably beautiful, she made me laugh and she was genuine. I liked spending time with her. Even though I was enjoying my time with her, I was constantly checking my phone to see if D had reached out to me. Not even a text.

“What’s wrong Nick?” She placed her hand onto mine.

I looked at our hands and felt a pang of guilt.

“Nothing,” I began as I slipped my hand away from hers, “I guess it’s just D. She’s been distant lately.”

She shifted awkwardly, “Well, do you know why she’s acting like that?”

I shrugged again, “I don’t know. Kind of, I guess. She’s acting like a child.”

She didn’t say anything, she just looked at me, like she wanted to know more.

“I don’t think I could say anymore, “ I said as I popped a french fry into my mouth, “Come on, I’ll take you home.”

--

’Can we talk?’

I waited minutes for a response, nothing.

’Please?'

Still nothing.

I got out of my car and rang the doorbell.

The door opened slightly, “Can I help you Nick?”

“I need to see her.”

“I’m sorry, it’s too late. Maybe another time.” D’s mom said and she began to shut the door. I stuck my foot in the way, stopping the door from shutting.

“Please?” I found myself begging again.

“I’m sorry Nick.”

“Yeah, me too.” I said as I pushed past her and quickly made my way upstairs.

“Why are you ignoring me?” I breathed.

She looked surprised to see me standing in her doorway. “Nick, I said it was too late. You need to leave.”

“Mom, it’s alright. He will leave in a minute.”

Her mom left with a nod. I fully entered her room after closing the door behind me.

“We need to talk Nick.” She said, she couldn’t make eye contact with me.

I swallowed hard before speaking, “What’s going on D? Why are you acting like this with me?”

“I...I don’t know, I just need to focus on myself and school. I can’t stress over you, us, anymore.”

“What does that even mean?” I asked, trying to keep as calm as possible.

She shrugged.

“You wanted this D, you made me want this.”

“Want what?” She asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

“Us, you and me dating. You kissed me first.” I reminded her.

“I know.” She said softly.

“Then what’s the problem?”

“I don’t know Nick,” She groaned loudly, “I just want a break.”

“A break? What’s that mean to you?”

“It means, we’re still together, we’re just not seeing each other.”

“So I’m still dating you, I’m just not allowed to see, talk to you or kiss you?” I asked, wanting some clarification. I mean all of this was ludicrous.

“Mhmm.”

“D, either you’re with me or you’re not. There is no in-between.”

She sighed, “What do you want me to say Nick? I just need space.”

“So we’re done then?” I whispered.

I saw a tear roll down her cheek. “I don’t want to be, I just..”

I slightly hesitated before wiping tears from her face, “I’ll give you some time baby, it doesn’t mean we’re done forever. I’ll wait.”

“I’m sorry.” She whispered.

I didn’t say much more, I was really confused by all of this. At this point I just had to think she wasn’t mature enough for a relationship. Maybe this was getting too real for her. I’m sure she didn’t expect that one kiss to bring all of this.

But neither did I.