Sequel: Unhinged

All of Me

Could This Be Out Of Line?

I didn’t know what to make of it. My thoughts were lost, and I couldn’t speak. The car ride back home was silent. When we arrived at D’s house, her sister got out of the car and thanked me, but D stayed.

“Nick, you haven’t said a word since we, you know.”

I tried to speak but couldn’t. I couldn’t talk to her, not like this. Not now. I shook my head, “We… you can’t do that again. I need to go.”

She frowned, “But I-”

“Please get out.”

She did as I said; I could tell I had hurt her. I had never thought of her in that way. I had known her since I was a baby. I knew she was absolutely gorgeous, but me being in a relationship with her? I don’t know how I could even make that possible, there would be no way I could give her what she wanted.

--

“Hi babe.” Kelsey said as she planted a kiss on my lips.

“Hey baby, I missed you.”

She smiled, “I'm so glad that you're mine Nick."

“Me too.” I said with a smile.

We went to dinner and saw a movie, I took Kelsey home around 11 pm, and for some reason I felt the need to speak to D, after all she was my best friend and I hurt her. I wanted to make things right.

‘Hey, I’m outside. I want to talk.’ I texted D

‘No, I don’t want to talk now. You had a chance to talk to me earlier Nick’

‘Just come outside D’

‘I’ll give you five minutes’

D finally came outside after what took forever to convince her.

“What do you want?” She asked.

“Get in.”

She shook her head. “D, stop being so stubborn and get in the car. I want to talk.”

She stuck her bottom lip out but she walked over to the passenger door and got in.

“Nick, I really don’t want to talk about earlier.” She said with a frown.

I ignored what she said and I started my car and began to drive.

“Where are we going?”

I didn't respond.

She sighed and leaned back. We pulled into an empty parking lot and I turned the engine off.

“Why’d you bring me here?” She asked.

“So you couldn't walk back inside.” I said honestly.

She rolled her eyes. I didn't know where to begin; I needed to tell her about Kelsey. I didn't mean to hurt her; I had to let her know I needed her as a friend.

“D I just thought I-” She cut me off before I could even start.

“I’m sorry Nick!” She burst into tears and leaned her head on my chest. “I’m so sorry, I didn't mean to just kiss you like that, I’m so embarrassed. It was just spur of the moment, and I was vulnerable."

I was taken aback, but I found myself comforting her.

She lifted her head off of my chest and looked at me. "It meant nothing, I just wanted something to distract me."

"It's fine Destiny, I understand."

I sighed, did I really understand? Not at all. I was confused because our kiss made me feel like nothing I've ever felt before.

It scared me.

It scared me a hell of a lot.