Forget Me Not

Chapter Three

"It's my fault," Absidee told her father later on in the hospital. Her grandfather was sleeping in the exam room, and they were waiting for a doctor to come in and give them the clear to take Mac home.

Michael shook his head. "It isn't. It was an accident; he was panicking and you handled it the best you could."

She was silent for a few moments before beginning again. "I'm begging you not to put him in a home. Please, Dad."

"You have to understand, Sid. It's not just in his best interest, but maybe also for yours."

"Mine?"

Michael nodded. "You're closing in on twenty-four. I know you want to finish college, maybe even find someone to settle down with. Maybe it was wrong of me to ask you to take on this role int he first place."

"No, you weren't wrong," she replied adamantly. "Everything he and Grandma did for us growing up - this is my turn to take care of him. Yes, it's been six months, but the Alzheimer's hasn't progressed much in that time. And as far as transition, I've just in the last couple of months or so gotten him into a stable routine."

"You're not going to cure him, Sid. You understand that, right?"

That question stopped her short. Did she understand that? Absidee had to admit that the child in her always kept some hope that one day her grandfather would snap out of his memory lapses and be able to take care of himself again. Up until that point, she'd only been getting by on the belief that keeping him going until that day was all she had to do.

"I know it's degenerative," she said quietly. "But … he's my grandfather. He's Grandpa Mac."

Michael hugged his daughter to his side as she let a few rare tears run down her cheeks. "I know. It's hard for me, too. Let's just see how things go over the next few months, okay?"

The doctor walked in just as Absidee nodded her agreement. She quickly wiped her tears and felt her mood lift as the doctor informed them that Mac's injury didn't extend any further than a bump on the head; the cut wouldn't even require stitches.

"Let's get him home," Michael sighed.

~.:.~


That week, Absidee refused to leave the house for anything but work. She kept an extremely close eye on Mac, making sure to apply antibiotic ointment and new bandages to the cut on his head per the doctor's instructions. Although it took only a few days for it to diminish to looking like a minor scrape, she still watched the old man's behavior carefully.

The one thing she was looking forward to that week was lunch with Beau. He hadn't set a specific day with her, so she carefully watched the door to the shop and every time the bell rang, her head would snap up. With each customer that wasn't Beau, her heart fell a little bit. Although she'd told him she wasn't interested in anything more than friendship, she did long for that friendship - especially with someone who had been so understanding about her grandfather's condition.

Friday rolled around and Beau never showed up. The one thing in her life that Absidee felt like was looking up for her, and it fell through. Needless to say, it didn't improve her melancholy state.

"Not so interested in the door today?" Bill asked after a rush Friday afternoon.

Absidee shook her head. "I had a lunch date with someone and he never showed. I give up."

Bill put his arm around her shoulders and gave her a quick squeeze. "Maybe he got nervous or busy. And it's only Friday. Maybe he'll still show."

"And maybe it's just a sign that I need to concentrate on what's in front of me," she sighed. "I have to admit, I was looking forward to making a new friend in the area. One my age, at least."

"It will come, Sid. Just give it time."

She nodded her agreement and stepped up to the counter to help the customer who had entered the store a few minutes before. Maybe she did just need to give it time, but maybe a degree and a career weren't the only hopes and dreams Absidee needed to put on hold for the time being.

~.:.~


Beau came home from the hospital Friday afternoon cranky and frustrated. A seizure Wednesday night had put him in the hospital for observation, but then he had to do another CT scan and MRI this morning, which had already been scheduled after his last meeting with Dr. Turner. It would be Monday before he got those results, but it was the further restrictions he'd been given that had him in such a foul mood.

"I can't believe I can't even drive myself anywhere," he grumbled to his mother. "They might as well just stick me in a corner and tell me I'm in time-out until they figure out what's going on."

Evelyn Montgomery sighed. "I know all of this is frustrating for you, Beau, but it's for your own good. God forbid you have a seizure while driving. You could hurt yourself or someone else very seriously."

"Maybe if it was me it wouldn't be so bad," he said under his breath, but not quiet enough.

"Beau!" Evelyn exclaimed. "I don't ever want to hear anything along those lines from your mouth again, and don't you even think it! I know that you're ready for all of this to be over, but Dr. Turner has been so great in getting us closer to a diagnosis. Just think - come Monday, we could be even closer to this all being over. If they can see on those scans exactly what's going on in your brain, then they can figure out how to fix you."

He nodded. "Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry I said that, Mom. I'm going to lay down for a little bit, okay?"

Evelyn nodded as well. "All right, sweetie."

His room was a little bit of a mess as he hadn't been home the last two days to straighten it up, so he started working on that first. He piled the papers on his desk and then put them in the appropriate drawer. He picked up the dirty clothes and put them in the hamper before putting away his clean clothes. Feeling a little better as he cleaned, he decided to vacuum the carpet while he was at it.

Beau thought back to that first meeting with Dr. Turner and remember how hopeful he felt, like she was the key to figuring this whole mess out. He wasn't necessarily doubting her at this point, but the longer it took to get an answer the more he doubted that any answer would ever be found, no matter how innovative the doctor might be.

He just needed something to distract him. Something to cheer him up and give him something else to focus on besides his lack of a short term memory - and the fact that it was taking him longer and longer to remember things. Maybe if he could find a new friend in the area, someone with similar interests that he could spend time with …

Absidee.

Slapping his hand to his forehead, Beau cursed under his breath. His memory seemed to have failed him up until then on his offer to take her to lunch. She was probably disappointed, at the very least. Turning off the vacuum, he hurried back to the kitchen where his mother was preparing supper.

"Mom, where's the phone book? I need to call the parts store."

Evelyn set down the spoon she had been stirring with and fished the phone book from a nearby drawer. Beau sat down with it and flipped through the pages, until he realized he didn't know what he was looking for exactly. Feeling more defeated than he had in awhile, he asked for help again.

"I don't remember the name of the store," he said aloud. "I remember it's a last name, but I don't remember what the name is."

Without any exasperation or hesitation, Evelyn set the spoon down again and sat next to her son at the table. "It's all right, we'll figure it out. Let's flip back her to the different business categories … we'll find motorcycle parts … Could it be Clemens? It looks like that's the only one with a title resembling a last name."

Beau concentrated as hard as he could. "I'm pretty sure that's it. I guess I'll try it."Wanting to make his call in private, he took the phone book back to his room and sat down at his desk with his mobile phone. He looked back down at the page, and again confusion hit him.

"What was the name, Mom?" he called down the hall.

"Clemens!" she called back.

Before he could forget it again, Beau jotted the name down on his notepad. He found the number on the phone book page and dialed it.

"Clemens Motorcycle Supply, this is Bill. How can we help you?"

"Hi, I'm looking for Absidee. My name is Beau." He knew he sounded nervous, but he didn't care.

"I'm sorry, Absidee has already left for the day. Can I take a message for her?"

Beau flipped to front cover of his notepad where his phone number was written down. "Yes, can you please tell her that Beau Montgomery called? Here's my number."

Bill confirmed the number and promised he would pass the message along. Beau disconnected the call and set down his phone, hoping she would call him soon.

~.:.~


Absidee hung up the phone and looked down at the number written on the piece of paper in front of her. Thinking that it would cheer her up to know that Beau had called, Bill had called her at home with the phone message. She thanked him and had to admit she felt a little better, but maybe not enough to call him back.

She was angry. Angry that she tried so hard to keep everything together, but it never worked that way. Things still happened - her grandfather's fall still happened. Shaking her head, she picked the phone back up and dialed Beau's number. Her anger was pushing her towards discouragement, and she refused to allow one more thing in her life to discourage or upset her.

"Hello?" Beau's voice came in clear but hesitant from the other line. Something about his nervous tone made her falter, but only for a moment.

"Hi, Beau? This is Absidee."

She heard a sigh of relief. "Absidee, I'm so glad you called. I wanted to apologize for not showing up this week. There was a family emergency, kind of, and I just got home today from the hospital."

"I hope everything's all right," she replied. Although she found herself slightly concerned, she made herself focus on the reason for her call. "But I was actually calling about lunch this week. I know what we talked about before, being friends and all, I just don't know that that's a good idea."

"What do you mean? Is it because I forgot about lunch this week? I promised, I'll make it up to you. I can explain."

Absidee shook her head, knowing full well he couldn't see her. "There's nothing to explain, Beau. I appreciate you calling, and that's why I wanted to call you back and tell you. I didn't want to just ignore you."

"I don't want to push you, Absidee, but I really think -"

"I'm sorry." With that, she hung up the phone before her resolve could break. He sounded so sincere, and she was beginning to feel already like writing him off was a mistake. Reminding herself that she didn't need one more thing in her life to not work out, she set the phone back down and went on about her day.

~.:.~


The rest of Friday and into Saturday afternoon were not good for Beau. Since Absidee's phone call, he'd felt even more down than usual. Both of his parents tried to reassure him that Monday would come and hopefully with good news, but it did nothing to boost his mood over the weekend.

Saturday evening brought another race. He still couldn't ride, of course, or drive himself out to the track, but Owen accompanied him again. Evelyn had offered to go, but knowing how hot it was going to be and that his mother really wasn't a fan of all the dust and dirt, Beau told her he would just see her when they got home.

"I know you're expecting to see Absidee out here," Owen said. "Don't be surprised if she doesn't want to talk in person either."

"I know that."

"Just don't want you to get more down on yourself, son. I really don't think it's personal with Absidee."

Beau just shrugged. He had to admit that he'd hoped seeing each other in person he could perhaps convince Absidee to just hear him out. He wanted to wait as long as possible to tell her about his memory condition, but if being friends with her meant coming clean earlier, then so be it.

As the motos progressed, however, he still hadn't caught sight of the girl. He kept just enough of an eye out so that his father wouldn't know he was looking for Absidee, but it was no use. She was apparently a no-show to the race that weekend.

When Owen decided to go to the concession stand at the intermission between heats, Beau told him he'd just stick around the bleachers. Once Owen was far enough that he wouldn't see where Beau was headed, however, Beau took himself over to the parts stand.

Michael approached him almost right away. "Beau, how are you doing?"

Beau accepted the older man's handshake and nodded. "I'm hanging in there. How's the parts business going?"

"Oh, it's not too bad." He switched around a few parts on display and then gave Beau a knowing smirk. "Absidee stayed home tonight. Her grandfather had a fall last weekend and I think it's got her a little shook up."

Well, that explained things a little bit. "I know I disappointed her this week, and when we spoke on the phone, she didn't want an explanation. I suppose I was hoping to see her and have the chance to talk."

Michael sighed. "I think you're a good young man, Beau, I really do. My daughter is at a rough time in her life though. I suppose maybe that's her story to explain, just the same as your reasons for not seeing her for lunch this week are yours to explain."

"Absidee caught my eye from the beginning but I really just want to be her friend, sir. We have more in common than I think she understands."

Michael seemed to think for a few moments and then nodded. "She works again Monday, until close. If you come by the shop, I'll see to it that you get your chance to explain things. I can't promise you'll sway her, but at least you'll get a shot."

Beau's grin was unmistakable. "Thank you, very much."

The men shook hands again, and then Beau hurried to join his father at the concession stand.

~.:.~


Monday morning rolled around, and Absidee still found herself in a sour mood, this time for a different reason. Michael had come by the day before to visit Mac and told Absidee about his visit with Beau. She was frustrated that even after she had tried to send this boy away, he still tried to make his way into her life. And now he had her father on his side! Try as she might to explain her reasoning to Michael, he insisted that she needed to at least listen to what Beau had to say.

As she set out Mac's oatmeal and his newpaper and cued up the radio station, Absidee tried to think of any reason she could to not go into work that day. She even considered asking Julie to pretend to call in sick so that Absidee would have to stay home with Mac.

"This is ridiculous. Just go to work and face him," she told herself. Knowing that was the best thing to do, she walked down the hall to wake Mac up for his breakfast.

"Good morning, Sidee," he said cheerfully, already awake and waiting for her.

"Morning, Grandpa. Good to see you awake so early."

"I'm going for a bike ride today."

"Oh, you are?" Absidee smiled. "Let's eat some breakfast and see how you feel about it after that."

"Okay," Mac agreed, just as cheerful as he had been with his morning greeting. Absidee walked him down to the kitchen and helped him sit. She made sure everything was set for his breakfast and then made sure the baby monitor was on so she could go take her shower.

The warm water felt good on her skin. It helped her relax and think things through more rationally. Perhaps she'd been too hard on both her father and Beau. It was selfish to just think of herself in this situation; who was she to deprive Beau of a friend just because she was afraid of what it might become - or might not become? And how could she forget that her father had to be struggling, too? Maybe he wasn't there every day, but he did have to watch as his daughter stopped her life just as it was beginning to take care of his ailing father. Even watching Mac's decline, Absidee couldn't imagine watching her own father go through the same thing.

"Sometimes it just take a few deep breaths," she told herself. "A few deep breaths and one day at a time."

She dried off and dressed, then brushed her hair before going back to the kitchen. Her grandfather was looking over the paper, and his oatmeal and banana were both gone. She smiled quietly to herself, thinking that if she didn't know any better, just from watching him now, she'd never think Alzheimer's had taken him to less than the man he used to be.

"What's in the news today?" Absidee asked.

"Not sure," Mac replied. "It all seems to be falling apart."

His sad tone made Absidee stop picking up his dishes and stare for just a moment. The hint of sadness in his voice made her wonder if he was really just talking about the national news or something else.

"Grandpa?"

His head snapped to face her and a smile broke out. "What's for dessert?"

Absidee laughed. Maybe her grandfather had his moments, but overall he was still a happy man. She would just have to handle the other moments the same as her life - with a few deep breaths and one at a time.

He didn't always ask for dessert, but when he did, she'd scoop out some ice cream for him and he always licked the bowl clean. Once he was done, she helped him to the TV room so that she could dry her hair and sit down to her own breakfast.

~.:.~


"I feel like I'm in high school again, with my mom chaperoning me on my first date or something," Beau grumbled as Evelyn pulled into a parking spot.

"Hey, look on the bright side. You remembered you had to be here today."

"Thanks to Dad," Beau sighed. "You're right. I'm here, I'm going to go in and talk to her, and we'll see what happens."

Taking a deep breath, he got out of the car and smoothed out his clothes. He picked up the few flowers he'd picked from a roadside stand they'd passed between their house and the store. Beau had spotted them at the last minute, but Evelyn agreed they were the perfect choice.

The air outside was warm but the store was nice and cool. He looked immediately to the parts counter and spotted Absidee helping another customer. Michael emerged in his line of sight and waved Beau over.

"I don't know what happened, but she's in a much better mood. She wants to talk to you today, start with a clean slate."

Beau couldn't believe the wave of relief that washed over him. "I suppose I better get in line then."

"I suppose you should," Michael agreed.

The smile on Absidee's face when she spotted Beau made him even more relaxed. She wasn't just willing to see him, she seemed happy to see him. She waved him up to her register, then put the 'closed' sign in front of it.

"I'm taking my break, Dad," she called. Michael nodded and she escorted Beau to the break room.

"Have a seat," she gestured, taking a chair across the table from him.

"Thanks. Oh, these are for you."

"Forget-me-nots," she smiled. "Thank you, Beau. They're very pretty."

"I just wanted you to know I didn't blow you off on purpose. I really do want to be your friend, Absidee. I don't know what it is, there's just something about you. I understand you don't want more, and maybe that's for the best right now. I just don't want to not be around you."

She blushed slightly and smiled. "I want to be your friend, too. It actually took my grandfather to remind me just this morning that sometimes you've just got to take a deep breath and not let life get you down. I was angry when I spoke to you the other day, not necessarily at you, but I'm calmer now."

"That's good," Beau chuckled. "So we're good then?"

"We're friends," Absidee smiled. "I already had my lunch break today, but maybe tomorrow you can come by?"

"Sure, that sounds like a plan."

They both stood, unsure of what to do. Finally, Absidee extended her hand and Beau shook it. He hurried out to the car, jotting down the notes of his lunch date the next day as he hurried out to the car.