The Plain Princess

Politics

Within the grand palace of Duzelle, the five royals of the family sit upon their respective thrones as two diplomats of Stilwell and their four servants stood before them. The men’s faces were controlled, showing little emotion, no awe at the golden and delicately carved thrones, no admiration for the high reaching red pillars, no wonder about the commodious and decorated room. No, they kept all those thoughts hidden quite well. But it was already too late. As Princess Arosia twirled her finger through her thick, frizzy hair and glanced through the glass of her spectacles, she could see the diplomats’ eyebrows rise ever so slightly when they had first arrived. She frowned, realizing this high regard could become troublesome.

“Your majesty, we have come to announce that the King of Stilwell’s decision on your offer of buying the city Tainite to be too small. His highness believes that it is worth twice that amount.”

The man faintly glanced to the left, revealing to Princess Arosia that he was lying.

“That is preposterous. That city is not worth such a price,” the king replied. He glanced at his son, urging the prince to speak up.

“Sure. We cannot pay twice the amount. Perhaps fifty percent more would be reasonable?” Prince Liam suggested apprehensively.

“I hope you two are joking. That city is so poor; the people have less than ten dollars amongst themselves. You are lucky we are offering such a high price,” Princess Griselda interrupted with barely concealed annoyance. “I believe we should have lessened the amount.” Princess Griselda was not a negotiator, often causing the diplomats of most foreign countries to lose face. She was innately aggressive and impulsive, though she does not mean to be. Sympathy was something she had to work at.

“I see…” the king murmured, a slight frown was detected by Princess Arosia. The queen patted his hand in reassurance. The princess then turned her sharp eyes to the servants and diplomats. They were well dressed, but…

“Actually, I believe the original price is a bit too small. Ten percent more of the original price should be adequate. What do you think?” Arosia asked her parents.

Quickly, the monarchs were aglow with pride. With just a bit of persistence, the diplomats agreed on Princess Arosia’s price for their small city on the border. When the diplomats left, the queen turned to Arosia with a proud, dazzling smile. It seemed as though beauty was hereditary, but somehow skipped Arosia.

“Arosia, you did well on your first diplomatic negotiation. Why did you decide to add ten percent to the original price?” her mother questioned her.

“I noticed that they were surprised to see our palace and knew they had lied when they said that their king did not agree on the asking price. However… they were not dressed as well as the previous diplomats of Stilwell had dressed. The ornate jewels that the others wore were missing this time… and their shoes were worn. I believe that they are in a financial crisis and need our help. Also, the Kocoran nation has been eyeing both our lands lately. We will need to gain some allies in case things get out of hand.”

“Very good, Arosia. You have the attitude of a true leader,” her father praised. “You had better watch it, Liam, or your younger sister may take the throne from you after all!” The prince laughed halfheartedly at his father's remark.