Hope and Her Gift

William: Well that was Interesting

So, I finally found a place to crash. There was a public park and a nice patch of grass under a tree. I was probably out for about 3 hours or so. When I woke up there was a guy, about my age sitting on the bench a few feet away. I scanned the area for my dad. I wanted to make sure that he wasn't around, before I talked to anybody. Nothing. Great.

I walked over to the bench and sat down. "Hi."

"Hey." he shook my hand. "You look new. How long have you been in town?"

"Ah, a day or so." I said.

"Well, nice to meet ya. What's your name? I'm David."

"William." I answered. "So, what can you tell me about this place? I don't know what's happening next in my life and I'd love to know about the town I'm in." That is not how I wanted to ask, but 5 hours of broken up sleep doesn't make it easy to talk.

"Well, this place is pretty exciting! Hope Skavinsky keeps it that way." David said.

"Hope Skavinsky?" I was pretty sure that was the beautiful girl I had bumped into at the school and who had tied me up.

"Yeah, she is beautiful! She is funny and courageous and always finding some sort of trouble. Dodging bullets, jumping into vents, and running through buildings and cornfields. She's super strong too." David spoke quickly.

"Wow." That's really all I could think to say.

"Yeah. I just love her." David smiled. "I remember the first time I asked her to be my girlfriend." You could tell he was going into reminiscing mode. "We were five and in kindergarten. It was Sunday School. I asked her and she said and I quote, "NO!" then she stomped my toe." he sighed. "I've been chasing her ever since. She's been a lot nicer about it since then."

"Oh." I said. The rest of the time I spent with him, he just kept on talking about Hope, although I think he was just repeating himself over and over.