Sequel: Red.
Status: Complete; Sequel coming soon!

A Face to Call Home

Chapter One

This part of the airport was quiet and almost peaceful. There was only a couple sitting in the chairs across the terminal and an old lady quietly talking to what looked to be her daughter or granddaughter. Max plopped down in the seat next to mine, sighing softly. I could feel his eyes on me but I kept my eyes forward and stared out the glass across the room, observing all of the planes. “I’m going to miss you, Kay,” he said softly, dropping his head. I looked over at him and took his hand.

“The next five years will go by quickly. It’ll be like I never left,” I said, letting my eyes glance over his saddened face. He was more upset about this than I was. I looked away from his depressing gaze and glared at my little brother who was acting like a fool in the chair across from me by jamming out to his horrible rap he called music. He ceased his actions as soon as he saw me glaring at him and gave a smug smile.

“It won’t though. I know that for a fact. It’ll go by so slow and I’ll get more anxious every day until the day you come home.” He was so dramatic sometimes. “I love you, Kay,” he whispered, squeezing my hand softly. I pulled my hand from his grip.

“I know you do. I love you too…” I looked at him, his eyes lightening up slightly at the word with hope. “You’re my best friend and I’m going to miss you too, but I’ve wanted this for a long time. You know that. I told you this when you told me your feelings…” My voice trailed off towards the end of the short speech.

It was the end of sophomore year in high school. Max and I were sitting on the small bench outside the cafeteria, eating our lunch in silence. Max had been distant and quiet lately, I had no idea why and it was bugging me. “Max, will you tell me what is wrong with you? You’ve barely spoken a word since we got lunch and you’ve been acting so strange.” He looked up at me with wide eyes, his Adam’s apple bobbing up and down as he gulped quietly.

“I uh, I¬–I’m f¬–fine. Just a lot on m–mind.” My eyebrow furrowed in confusion as I watched him look back down at his lap.

“Well, then what are thinking about? Is your si–“ I jumped when he cut me off.

“No!” His cheeks became flushed as I mentioned his sister. “She’s not messing with me… It has nothing to do with her.” His tongue darted over his lips, moistening his dry lips as he swallowed hard. “I’ve had someone on my mind for the last few weeks and I can’t stop thinking about that person. I think I might be in love with this person because she’s¬–“ I cut him off with a big smile.

“Wait! You like a girl!? Awe! That’s so exciting! What’s her name? Do I know her? Is sh¬–“

“Kaylin!” I stopped my questions looking at him with wide eyes.

“I’m sorry… What’s she like?” I asked, softly.

“She’s… Perfect.”

“I highly doubt she’s perfect, no one is.”

“I think she is. She’s smart, determined, sweet, beautiful, and she’s hilarious in her own way. She’s got that dry humor, you know?” I nodded. “She’s amazing but the worst thing is that she has no clue at all.”

“Well, maybe you should tell her?” He looked at me.

“W–well… I’m afraid she’ll push me away when I admit my f–feelings for h–her…”

“Why would she do that?”

“Because she’s…” He took in a deep breath and looked forward, away from my gaze. “Becauseit’syouwhoI’minlovewith.” I looked at him in confusion, trying to take in all of his quick words. My mouth formed an ‘o’ shape and my eyes widened with understanding, the blood quickly rushing to my face.

“Oh…” He looked over at me with a red face. “Max…” I gave him a small smile. “You know how I feel about relationships… I told you, ‘no relationships until I get my dream.’”

“I know! But it doesn’t stop my feelings for you.”

“I realize that, but I’m refusing any relationships. I want to go to London with nothing holding me back. I want to go without feeling any guilt or sadness. You know I want to get out of my house. You know I want to study there. I’m not making any exceptions because you’re ‘in love with me’.” He sighed softly.

“Well at least you know.” I smiled a little awkwardly, before turning forward and shoving a cheeto into my mouth, wanting to get out of there.


“I know, I’m sorry.” Max said softly before he turned his body to face forward. I looked at my mom and dad who were sitting in the chairs a few seats down from me. My mom was on her iPad, playing some app. My dad had his reading glasses on and papers in his lap. He flipped through the pages, scribbling notes on them every so often. He was a professor at one of the local community colleges in Tampa, Florida.

“It’s going to be weird going from this sunny, hot weather to the real cold in London, isn’t it? You’ll actually get to see snow… That’s going to be amazing, don’t you think?” Max questioned me. I just nodded curtly.

”Flight 223 to LHR, London, England is now boarding.

I stood up quickly and pulled my carry on over my shoulder before walking over to my parents. My mom pulled me in for a tight hug as she sobbed quietly. “You be careful out there, baby girl. I’m gonna miss you so much. Call as soon as you get to the apartment and settled in, okay?” She asked in a sad, soft tone. I nodded before hugging her again. “I love you, don’t have too much fun out there.” I chuckled softly and pulled away from her. I wrapped my arms around my dad’s torso, hugging him tightly as my cheek pressed against his chest. I felt his arms wrap around my body.

“Sweetheart, you’ll be fine out there. I know you will. You’ll be back before you know it, before we know it. I love you so much, and you better send me an email every so often letting me know how things are going. I know you’re dreams will come true out there. I’m so proud of who you’ve become,” he whispered, kissing the top of my head. “I love you,” he said one last time before pulling away. I wiped the tears that I didn’t even know were falling from my eyes. I walked over to my fourteen-year-old brother, ruffling his hair softly.

“I’ll miss you little man. Don’t piss off mom and dad too much while I’m gone, okay?” He laughed and nodded before surprising me and pulling me in for a big hug. I grinned, wrapping my arms around his broad shoulders.

“I love you, Kay. I’m going to miss pulling pranks on you all the time,” he said softly. I smiled and pulled away, my hands on his shoulders.

“I’m sure you’ll find someone else to pull pranks on. I love you too. See ya, bud.” I kissed his cheek and he groaned, wiping his cheek. I laughed and turned to face Max. We embraced each other into a tight hug, his nose in my neck and my face buried into his neck. He held onto me tightly while tears fell slowly from my eyes. “I love you Max. I’ll email, call, text, skype you as much as possible. Don’t forget about me.” He scoffed.

“How can I forget you?” I smiled weakly into his neck. “Don’t forget me and can I ask you for one favor?” I pulled back, still in his arms and nodded, my blue eyes glued to his brown ones. “Don’t fall in love with anyone else, please?” I stared at him before nodding slowly and hugging tightly again. “I love you, be safe.” I pulled away with a small smile, wiping my eyes. “Goodbye, Kaylin.”

“Don’t say that. Remember Peter Pan?” He looked at me with a small smile. “Never say goodbye because goodbye means going away, and going away means forgetting." I quoted.

“Then, I shall see you later…” He said softly. I nodded with a weak smile.

“I’ll see you guys later…” I said to my family and Max, turning away from them. I walked down the open terminal and before I handed the stewardess my plane ticket, I turned looking back at my best friend and family. My mom was sobbing, my dad was holding her and watching me, my brother was smiling a small smile, and my best friend gave me a small wave. I waved back with a sad smile and turned to the lady.

“Are you ready, honey?” I took a deep breath before a smile formed on my face and I nodded.

“Very.” She smiled and took my ticket, scanning it. She took it out and looked at me with a bright smile.

“Good luck Ms. Steele. I hope you enjoy your flight to London.”

Of course I will enjoy my flight to London. All those days back in my small bedroom working on my homework and studying, paid off and now I’m on my way to the place I’ve always wanted to be. I couldn’t wait to see what London had planned for me and truthfully; I couldn’t wait to leave everything behind. London is where I will my fresh start and my new adventure.
♠ ♠ ♠
I noticed I put Emily on the prologue when I had first posted the story... I'm sorry! That was going to originally going to be her name but then I changed my mind. Sorry if there was any confusion... But anyway, my other stories will probably be on hold for a while until I get this one going on the road. The reason why I started this one is because I've recently formed a love for One Direction, especially Harry and Louis, so I've been reading a bunch of fanfics about them on here and had this idea. I'm really excited for this story and I kind of love the main character Kaylin. I hope you all enjoy this story! I must worn you though, I don't know the British slang at all... So I'm just going to as best as I can to make it realistic... Haha, yay for internet!

Anyway... Let me know what you think! I was excited to see I had three new comments about the story when I woke up this morning! Comments motivate me, just saying :D

Thanks:

ImaSpiderPirate
Me and Only Me
ShawnieRiot

Thank you for your comments! I'm excited that you are all loving the story so far!

-Casey