Sequel: Red.
Status: Complete; Sequel coming soon!

A Face to Call Home

Chapter Five

HARRY’S POV

Louis head lifted at the sound of my feet walking down the small hallway to the kitchen. “Morning, Harold.” I just stared at him and then walked to the cabinets, getting a bowl. I was never a morning person. “I see you’re actually wearing trousers this morning. Get a little cold not having Kaylin to hold you last night?” He snickered and I shot him a look. He just smiled innocently and shoved a spoonful of cereal in his mouth. I grabbed the milk and cereal from beside him and poured it into my bowl.

“I did not get cold, I just fell asleep with them on last night. I woke up sweating this morning, I could pull them down rig¬–“

“No!” Louis interrupted, shaking his head furiously. “I’d rather you not.” I felt a proud grin start to spread on my lips but it fell as soon as he asked me the question. “Do you fancy Kaylin, Harry? You were awfully flirty with her last night.” I kept my eyes on the milk being poured into the bowl of cereal, avoiding his question. He could tell. “Harry, I know you heard me. Do you?”

“I don’t know,” I admitted truthfully. “She’s beautiful, no doubt. But, you know she’s different and I don’t know how to feel about that. I’ve always gone fo¬–“

“Saggy, old women?” Louis insinuated. I glared at him.

“No,” I said forcefully. “That was one lady and that was a mistake. I’m not going there again, trust me.” I sighed and shoved a spoonful of cereal into my mouth, thinking about the previous night.

Kaylin was different. She was a redhead to begin with, but it wasn’t like a bright red, it was dark and auburn. She had those bright blue eyes that any person would fall in love with and the soft, pale skin to go along with it. She was curvy, just like I like a girl to be, and she was fit. The moment I saw her in that crowd, she had caught my eye and I knew she was different then. I loved the way she blushed madly whenever she said something embarrassing or whenever I stared into her eyes. It was adorable and I love everything about her. Her nervous habits like biting her nails or the way she lights up the room whenever she smiles. When she laughs, it’s like I’m listening to the most beautiful sound in the universe. I loved how determine she is and wants to be the best at everything she does.

“I think she fancies you, Harry. She gets all nervous and blushes madly when she’s around you. But I also noticed how comfortable she seemed to be around you last night.” Louis said with a mouthful of food, breaking me from my thoughts for a moment. I thought about what he said and I realized he was right. Whenever the other lads talked and joked around her, she was awkward, almost uncomfortable. But she was completely relaxed around me, like it was natural.

“I think you may be right but it’s just weird, don’t you think? I usually like the chase, you know? Having to work hard to get the girl… But she’s just so different and she intrigues me. I can’t say I fancy her yet, but I do want to get to know her more.” He gave me a doubtful look.

“Right. Maybe you should take her out to see London.”

“But I thought Eleanor was going to do all of that,” I said, looking at him. He just shrugged.

“I can distract Eleanor. I’ll make her hang out with me. Surprise Kaylin and asked her if she wants to go see London with you. I’m pretty sure she can’t say no to you.” He smiled before getting up and walking out of the kitchen. I stood there for a good fifteen minutes planning on how I was going to ask her to come out with me. I thought maybe I should I just call her and ask her; she might like that idea better. It’ll give her more time to be prepared. But then I thought, well I want to surprise her. It’ll show her I’ve been thinking about her and want to be her friend, maybe more.

I left my bowl on the counter and walked down to my room, getting ready. I could hear Louis grumbling loudly about how I never clean up after myself from the kitchen. I walked out of my room and to the kitchen with a wide grin. “I’m leaving, tell Eleanor to let me have my day with Kaylin!” I yelled walking to the front door and left.

KAYLIN’S POV

London was such a fascinating city. It reminded me nothing of the states and I loved that. It was loud and busy during the days, and quiet and calm at night after everyone has gone inside. Right now, staring out the window looking over the city, it was busy. Cars were speeding down the streets, children running to school with their parents trailing behind them, and joggers running along the sidewalk for their morning routines. I kept thinking to myself about how in just four days I will begin my daily routine: wake up, get dressed, go to classes, come home, study, eat, and lastly, sleep. Then I would start all over again the next morning.

I took a sip of my coffee and sighed as I watched an old couple walk slowly down the street, hand-in-hand. They must have been at least eighty years old. I wondered how long they’ve been married. Forty years? Fifty? Or even maybe sixty years? I wanted that so badly, a relationship where the person you marry is your lover and best friend. The one you count on for the rest of your life and the one to lift you up whenever you are down. The one you will love unconditionally and they will always be your world. I want my lover to be the reason I wake up every morning and to make me smile even on my saddest days.

A knock came from the front door, making me jump and spill my coffee on myself. I set the cup down and grabbed a napkin, dabbing my shirt dry. “Coming!” I yelled as my skin burned slowly from the coffee. I walked to the door, holding my t-shirt out from my body, almost slouched over and pulled the door open. “Oh, Harry. Hi,” I said, standing up straight. He grinned down at me with his eyebrows raised. I released my shirt, letting it stick to my stomach. “Oh, um, I spilt my coffee on me,” I muttered, my eyes averting from his bright green eyes. He chuckled softly and nodded. I opened the door wider, letting him into the apartment.

“Where’s Eleanor?” He questioned, looking around the small apartment.

“Oh, she went over to see Louis. Something about him having an emergency,” I responded, shrugging. I watched him look around the room until his eyes fell on me once again. “I don’t mean to be so rude but why are you here?”

“Oh! Well, I was wondering if you wanted me to take you on a tour around the lovely city?” He asked. I could have sworn I heard some hope lacing in his deep, smooth voice.

“Well, Eleanor was supposed to take me around the city… But I guess since she decided to ditch me for her boyfriend, I could take you up on that offer.” I saw his eyes light up slightly when I said yes. He smiled.

“Fantastic, we can leave as soon as you finish getting ready.”

“Oh yeah, right.” I laughed softly. I looked down at my coffee-stained oversized t-shirt and shorts then back up at him. “You sure I can’t go out like this?” I asked, fluffing my tangled, wavy hair. I could imagine me looking like a hot mess right now. No makeup, hair all messy and my clothes being extremely unattractive. He let out a laugh, shaking his head. “What’s the matter, Styles? Afraid to be seen with me like this?”

“No!” He protested, laughing. “I think you’re cute and adorable,” he said with a smile. He pushed some of my hair out of my face with his fingers, looking into my eyes. My face had to be red by now. I dropped my eyes to the floor. “I think you’re absolutely beautiful, but I don’t think you’d like what fans would say about you looking like this.” I let out a loud laugh.

“Who cares? We’re not dating anyway, we’re just friends.” I retorted completely ignoring his compliments that made me feel all mushy inside. He let his hand drop back to his side.

“Right. Just friends,” he said, softly. I looked up at him with a baffled look. “Well, get your little bum into the shower right now so we can get going,” he said with a little more enthusiasm. I nodded slowly before he turned me by shoulders, pushing me to start walking to my room. Once I got to my room, he started following me into my bedroom, but I turned and placed my hand on his chest, stopping him. “Nu-uh, you may be comfortable with getting naked in front of people, but I’m sure not and you are staying out here,” I said, pushing him back out. He started to protest but I shook my head and closed the door.

I stepped into the warm shower, letting the water pour down my body. Why did he say, “right, just friends” like that? He couldn’t like me, I was nothing compared to a lot of girls. Besides, we’ve only known each other for a few days and we’re just starting to get to know one another. He doesn’t like me; he knows absolutely nothing about me.

I wrapped a towel around my body and walked out into my room to my closet, looking through my clothes. I put on a pair of royal blue skinny jeans and a red cardigan with some red TOMS to match. I pushed the sleeves to my elbows and walked out into the main room, seeing Harry sprawled out on the small leather couch. It was a funny sight to see with his head over the armrest and his long legs almost hanging over the edge of the couch. He looked up at me with a bright smile. “You need a longer couch,” he stated, sitting up. I laughed.

“No, we don’t. Eleanor and I aren’t giants like you are Harry.”

After I finished my hair and put on some light makeup, I walked in front of the television, blocking Harry’s view. “Hey, I was watching that!” He pouted slightly and I turned it off.

“Well, you want to take me on that tour, don’t you?” He nodded and stood up, taking my hand in his rather large hand and pulled me to the front door. I pulled my hand out of his grip as soon as we stepped outside the apartment, tucking both of mine into my jean pockets. “Where are we going first?” I asked, stepping onto the elevator with him behind me. He stood close next to me, his arm brushing mine as his hands were tucked into his pockets too.

“I thought we’d start off by going to the London Eye first, then we’ll go from there?” He questioned himself more than me and I nodded.

* * *

Harry pulled me down the street from Big Ben. We crossed the busy street and stood on the grass, the moon shining down on the small amount of people and on Harry and I. The massive clock struck nine o’clock and the tower begun its chiming. I counted every chime until the thirteenth chimed and ended. I smiled, staring up at the tower. “It’s so amazing and so much better in person.” I looked over at Harry, who was already looking at me with a small smile. “Thank you for taking me out around London today, it was fun.”

“It was.” He continued to look down at me but I tore my gaze from him, staring up at the clock. “You ready to go back to the flat, love?” He asked when I yawned. I nodded slowly, not wanting to break my stare from the tower. He put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me into his side. “Let’s go,” he whispered, pushing me gently with his arm.

Harry kept his arm around me as we headed back to my apartment. His warmth flooded my body, keeping the chilly air out. I slid my arm around his slim waist underneath his light sweater, his skin burning into the palm of my hand. He continued to tell me little stories of his childhood and about the fun times he had while touring in the UK and America. I didn’t mind listening to him talk; it was nice to be the one who listened for once instead of talking. With Max I had to keep the conversation going with a story about what had happened during school that day or the fights my brother and I had gotten into. He never really talked to me that much, just listened and I hated that about him. So it was a nice change having Harry tell me about everything in his life.

I dropped my arm as soon as we reached the steps that led up to the main door of the complex, walking ahead of him into the building. He followed me onto the elevator and a comfortable silence filled the small space as we waited for it to reach my floor. The small ding came from the speakers when we reached my floor and we both headed down the wide hallway to my apartment. I stopped in front of my door, turning to him. He stepped closer to me, tucking his hands away in his front jean pockets. I gulped softly, keeping my eyes focused on the necklace hanging from his neck. My head lifted up when I heard his quiet, raspy voice, “I had a great time.”

“Me too,” I barely whispered. He gave me a small smile, his teeth threatening to show.

“Goodnight, Kaylin.” He murmured quietly, leaning down placing a soft kiss right next to my lips. I felt a small tingle run down from where his lips were to my toes and my lips involuntarily turned up into a small smile when he pulled away.

“Goodnight, Harry.” I breathed out as he backed away, keeping his eyes on me and then turned walking down the hall. I leaned back against the door, touching my hand to the spot where his lips were. I bit my lip softly, thinking.

That wasn’t even a kiss and it sent my head into ecstasy.

I knew right then and there, my promise to my best friend probably wouldn’t be kept.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, here it is! The fifth chapter! I hope you all enjoyed it :) Now you all got to see what Kaylin wants in a relationship and you'll see what it has to do with everything later on. But yay! They finally hung out together alone! Sorry, I took so long on this update >.< Let me know what you think!

I now have 32 subscribers :D makes me feel so many happy feelings right now, just saying.

Image

Now to thank all the commenters!

A MASSIVE THANK YOU TO:

ShawnieRiot
Sweet.Perfection.
unbroken13
xomrsmalikxo
MarmaladeSkies;

I'm so happy you all are loving the story! I hope I don't end up disappointing anyone :)

Keep reading because who knows, maybe some sparks will happen in the near future! ;)