Status: Join me for this crazy ride, won't you?

Things Aren't Always What They Seem

Engaged

CH 1

"Lift your glasses to the happy couple!" and with that everyone threw back the shot in their hands. It was a celebration alright, Patrick had finally popped the question. His friends and teammates were happy, hers were too. Charlotte was a catch and everyone knew it. Patrick was lucky to have someone who loved him and he owed it all to Jon. Without him, Patrick never would have met his girl.

After Patrick threw back his shot he looked down at Charlotte and then quickly glanced up at Jon who didn't look as happy as everyone else. His girlfriend, Rose, was at his side, taking part in this celebration with everyone else. Patrick smiled to himself and leaned down to kiss Charlotte who kissed him back with so much excitement that he almost took her into the bathroom. Almost.

"Are you coming to my place tonight my new fiancee," Charlotte asked, accentuating the word 'fiancee' before pressing her lips to his again and wrapping her arms around his waist.

"Not tonight baby. I'm tired and you're drunk. Get some sleep you're going to need it so we can start planning tomorrow."

Charlotte looked at him disappointed by his rejection. "But we just got engaged. You should want to be with me."

Patrick smiled to himself and grabbed her hand in his. "Look at this ring." He held her hand up and they both admired the ring he'd given to her earlier in the night. "I do want to be with you, so much so that I asked you to spend every night for the rest of your life with me."

That elicited a smile from Charlotte. "I can't wait!" she squealed, her cheeks red and her words slurred.

Patrick took her hand and led her to a chair where Jon and Rose met them. "She okay?" Jon looked at Patrick before glancing at Charlotte again. After eight years of knowing her, he knew when Charlotte was okay and when she wasn't. He knew she wasn't a big drinker and seeing her this way was obvious to him that she needed a babysitter for the night.

"Yeah man she's fine, just had a little too much fun tonight that's all. It's our engagement party," he laughed. "If there's a night where she gets hammered, it'd be tonight."

"Yeah," Jon said rubbing his chin as he looked at Charlotte. "I'm just, uh, I'm not used to seeing her this way. You staying with her tonight?"

"Nah man," Patrick looked at him quickly before flickering his eyes away. "She needs to stay home and sleep it off. I'm going to go home and puke in my own bathroom. I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate waking up with a nasty hangover and puke filled house to clean."

Jon wrinkled his brow at his friend. "Seriously?"

"It's better for her," Patrick assured. "I figured you could take her home since you live down that way."

"Well I can but how do you know I don't have plans with my girl? It's ridiculous for you to volunteer me when it's your engagement night and I have a girlfriend."

"We both know you'll take her home. I'm not exactly sober right now so anything you say is going in one ear and out the other."

"Geez," Jon rolled his eyes. "You just fucking proposed to my best friend and I'm the one taking her home tonight." He turned his attention back to Charlotte who was donning her new huge ring and trying to get her coat on.

"Char," he bent down and grabbed her on either shoulder. "I'm gonna take you home, okay? Can you get up on your own?"

Charlotte looked up into his eyes and smiled, "I could use the help I think."

He grabbed her hand and helped her stand up before turning his attention back to Pat. "You're unbelievable."

"What?" Patrick asked taken aback before cradling Charlotte's face in his hands, turning his attention solely on her. "I'll see you tomorrow, right? Call me in the morning. I love you, my soon-to-be Mrs. Kane."

Charlotte giggled and Jon rolled his eyes before turning his attention to Rose. "Baby, I gotta take her home. Do you want to come?"

Rose looked up at him and shook her head. "No. You've clearly got a full plate over there," she pointed to drunken Charlotte.

"Well, thank my buddy who evidently volunteered me to clean up his dirty work."

"I'll make sure to give him an ear-full," Rose smirked before kissing Jon on the cheek. "I'll call you in the morning."

"Wait," Jon grabbed her wrist. "Text me when you get in so I know you made it home okay."

Rose nodded, "Okay."

"Okay, okay," Jon turned back to Patrick and Charlotte, physically pushing them apart. "You two break it up. I'm not a twenty four hour service call." He wrapped his arm around Charlotte's shoulder and led her out the door.

He threw his head back and looked at Patrick in his drunken glory, "You be careful, I'll see you tomorrow." Patrick nodded and that was the last Jon saw of him.

When they got outside in the cool air Charlotte turned and leaned into him. "It's cold Jon." She closed her eyes and nuzzled into him closer.

"Even drunk you're still the most observant person I know," he said with a laugh.

"Shhhh stop talking my head hurts."

"Already? Boy you're going to have a rough morning."

"Don't leave me alone, will you sleep on the couch?" Jon looked down into her red eyes and let out a sigh. He never could say no to her.

"It's been eight years, you know. We've known each other eight years, I'm not giving in this time," he said knowing he was lying. They were friends, that's all they had ever been, but she still had a way with him that he couldn't explain. They had each other's backs and she was always there for him-- he returned the favor.

"You know you will." She turned and leaned up into his cheek, pressing the tip of her cold nose to his warm face. "You'll be too worried I drowned in my own vomit."

Jon smiled knowing she was right. "I don't remember the last time you threw up."

"I don't remember the last time I drank," she slurred right back.

After a few minutes in silence she nudged him in his side. Her arm was snaked around his tightly and her head on his shoulder so it wasn't too difficult to get his attention. "Are you happy for me?" she asked as she stuck her hand out in front of them showing off the diamond Patrick had given her earlier in the night. "It's been a crazy night. I can't believe Patrick wants to marry me. Marry me, Jon. And I have you to thank. If it weren't for you I never would have met him."

Jon swallowed and took a moment before answering. "Of course I am. You're my best friend. I just wish he was taking care of you tonight, as your future husband and all."

"I'll let him slide this time," she shot right back with a grin. "You know me better anyway. You can take care of me."

He let out a puff of air and nodded his head, visibly frustrated to anyone but her. "Yeah."

*****

Patrick thought about the way he was, the way he pushed his new fiance on his friend. Jon was right, he should have been the one staying with her. He sat in his bed now, flannels on, shirt off, relaxed. He'd gotten the text from Jon that Charlotte was home and safe, so he was in the clear. If there was anything he never had to worry about, it was Charlotte when she was with Jon. Jon wouldn't let anything happen to Charlotte and Charlotte wouldn't do anything with Jon. She was loyal and dependable to the core.

He picked up the phone and put it to his ear. He heard the rings and finally her voice. "Hey," she said. He could hear the smile on the other end of the phone.

"You coming over tonight?" he immediately asked.

"I thought you'd never ask," she teased.

His lips curled up into a grin, "Good. I was afraid you'd be at your boyfriends."

She laughed. "No, you did a good job keeping him busy tonight. I'm all yours."
♠ ♠ ♠
OK so here is the long awaited Kane/Tazer story. I hope you like it and keep with it. Please comment and let me know.
What do you think about the four of them? I know Patrick's a douche, right? Jon's a good friend.

Anyways, I started a new fic completely out of my norm. I did a Walking Dead/Daryl story because I wanted to and thought it would be fun. If you're into that and him, you'll like it. I posted the first chapter so let me know what you think about that.

Hope you had a very Merry Christmas! Thanks for reading!