Status: Join me for this crazy ride, won't you?

Things Aren't Always What They Seem

Share

***A Few Months Into Jon's NHL Career***

Jon had been playing in the NHL and fulfilling his dreams for a few months at this point. He loved his team, he loved his teammates and he loved everything that came with being a pro hockey player.

The one thing he didn't love was the idea of really introducing Charlotte to his team and his friends. He knew that it would take maybe two seconds for them to see what was so special about Charlotte and he didn't want to share her. She was all his-- she was one of the only things in his life that he was fiercely protective and selfish with. He didn't feel he should share her, he wanted to keep her to himself as long as could, but he wasn't going to win that battle much longer. The guys had pestered him about her-- and were doing more of it as time went on by-- and she was beginning to ask why he wasn't introducing her to anyone. She was accustomed to meeting him down there after games but when it came to talking to anyone or meeting his teammates, she got none of it and to her, she thought Jon was ashamed of her.

"I'm not going to the game tonight," Charlotte said simply as she sat on her couch.

"What?" Jon asked bewildered. "Why?" He was about to go into her room and take a nap but now he was distracted.

"Because I don't feel you really want me there." She was short and kind of cold and Jon could see she had some sort of attitude.

"What?" He asked again. "Why would you think that? That's....that's so far from the truth-- whatever gave you that impression?" He asked as he stood in front of her with his arms crossed.

"You hide me like I'm some kind of mistress rather than your best friend." She didn't lift her head up but she did glance up at him and she was not happy.

Jon pursed his lips and kind of shook his head frustrated. "You think that?"

"C'mon. You know that I do. And you can't tell me you don't."

Jon let out a sigh and sat down next to her on the couch. "You don't get it."

"What don't I get?"

"I don't want them meeting you because I know what's going to happen," he answered simply.

"What's going to happen?" she asked. "I might--" she put her hand up to her mouth and opened her eyes wide in a faux gasp, "Meet your friends? Yeah, sounds awful," she said as she rolled her eyes. "Seriously, if you're ashamed of me, just tell me and I'll stop going. I know your career is everything and I wouldn't do anything to embarrass you. And if you're afraid people will see me and think we're dating-- and think it'll affect your love life, I'll back away."

Jon sighed again and rested his hand on her thigh. He wanted to pull her onto his lap and have her straddle him as he put his hand under her hair on the back of her neck and sensually assaulted her body. For just a second he let himself imagine it and realized he was digging his fingers into her leg a little harder than he normally did. He lightened his grip and casually rubbed up and down the top of her thigh. "You're wrong," he breathed out.

"Am I?"

"Yes," he turned and faced her, forcing her to look at him. "I know how they are. They're good guys but when it comes to women..." he trailed off and rubbed the back of his neck with his free hand. "I don't want anything happening-- I don't want anyone in a position to do anything to hurt you. I think keeping you away from everyone is best for you. Not for me. I couldn't care less what anyone thought-- if they think we're dating or not dating, and to be completely honest with you, you could never do anything to embarrass me. I'm afraid that me...and my friends...will embarrass you."

She tilted her head and gave a genuine smile-- one that gave away just how much his answer meant to her. She cupped his face in her hands and lightly kissed him on the lips-- it was only a quick friendly peck but it made Jon's heart run away from him. "Go take a nap," she said sweetly as she got up and started to make her way into the kitchen.

He needed a second from the flip-flops his stomach was doing, but he stood up and started down her hallway. "So you're coming tonight, right?" he yelled as he got to her door.

"Of course. Where else would I go?" she yelled back. "But only if you introduce me to your friends."

Jon rolled his eyes and was very thankful she couldn't see him. "I will, I promise."

"Good. Now get your beauty rest while I get your lunch started."

Jon smiled and turned into her room. He got comfortable under the covers that smelled like her and looked at her night table which made him smile-- perched on it was a picture of him and her framed and proudly on display. They were both in shorts and she in a tank top. They hadn't seen each other for a while and it was the first moment they were together that summer. When she saw him she jumped into his arms and one of their other friends happened to take a picture of that moment. Needless to say it quickly became Charlotte's favorite. They were both so happy and he remembered how he felt in that moment. He was holding her to him off the ground so tight he didn't want to let her go.

***Present Day***

Jon and Patrick both stopped breathing at the same time when they realized Charlotte had no idea who they were. With their eyes wide open they momentarily put aside their differences and turned their heads to look at each other.

They slowly both brought their gaze back down to Charlotte who was groggy and weak. "Char it's me. It's Jon. You don't know I am?" Jon asked desperately hoping she was just out of it from the initial shock of everything.

"Charlotte. Baby, it's me. It's Pat-- your fiance," he tried to jog her memory but she just looked back and forth between them.

Both their chests rapidly rose and fell and Jon continued to pet her head. "Where...where am I?" she finally asked with a quiet and raspy voice.

Neither knew what to say and just as Jon was about to start to try to explain everything they heard the door to her room open. Jon and Pat both jumped and looked behind them to see the nurse. Jon flew off the bed and met the nurse before she reached the bed. "She doesn't know who we are," he said to the nurse quietly but visibly heartbroken. It was clear his statement was really implying all the questions he undoubtably had and he was looking her in the eyes wanting answers.

The nurse gave a sadden expression and looked to him then over at Pat who was making his way to where they were stantding. "You two should wait in the hall for a little while. Let me check on her. We'll run some tests and I'll fill you in when I'm done."

"No," Jon adamantly insisted with a shaky voice. "I'm not leaving her," he said frantically trying to hold his ground though it was obvious he was about to lose it as tears glistened in his eyes. The last thing he wanted was to leave her alone when he'd finally seen her open her beautiful eyes.

The nurse gave him a compassionate glance and put her hand on his shoulder. "Please Mr. Toews. I understand, but we need to do our job before we can give you any answers."

Though neither man wanted to leave the room they nodded their heads in the most defeated way possible and slowly left the room. Walking side by side to the waiting room with the same thing on their minds, neither said a word to the other. They each took a seat as far as they could in the small semi-private waiting room and battled their own inner demons.

Jon rested his elbows on his knees and bent forward putting his head in his hands. Truth be told he was simply exhausted but too emotional to notice. The past few days had done a number on him and now everything was a shit storm. How could she not remember me?, he couldn't help thinking as he sat there in silence. What if she never does?...What am I gonna do? His heart physically hurt and there was literally nothing that could help him. The thought of his best friend, the girl who he'd shared his life with the last eight years, the very thought of her not knowing who he was anymore-- not sharing the memories they had-- it made him sick. He was desperately in love with her and in a flash he'd become a stranger to her. He was left praying he wouldn't be pining for a girl who was physically there but mentally had no clue who he was or what they had together. He wished that he had the balls to just tell her how he felt any time over those eight years and hated the thought that it might be too late. He instantly popped up from his seat and quickly glided the three steps into the bathroom where he promptly threw up for the second time at the hospital.

The only other person who had somewhat of an idea of how Jon felt was the man sitting across the room from him. They should have been supporting each other-- helping each other get through such a hard circumstance-- but every time Jon looked at Pat he wanted to murder him.

Pat didn't move from his slumped position in his seat when Jon walked out of the bathroom and sat back down. "You need to stop taking the reigns on all this shit," Pat spat out bitterly as he broke the silence between the two of them though he never looked at Jon.

"Excuse me?" Jon looked up at him completely in disbelief that Pat had the nerve to say anything to him-- especially something like that.

"Like with the nurse back in her room, it isn't your place. She's my fiance and I should be the one asking the questions."

"Well why aren't you then? Where were you when she was in the accident Kaner? Where were you when she was lying unconscious in her room while I was there, asking questions."

Pat let out a frustrated breath and leaned his head back against the hard wall. He put his hands up on his head and took in some air. "You've always been a problem in our relationship." Though it easily could have come across as a douche thing to say, Pat's tone didn't indicate that it was his intent. He was just as exhausted and defeated as Jon.

"I don't even want to hear it," Jon shook his head and tried to dismiss him.

"How would you feel if you were in my shoes. You're dating this girl that you realize you've fallen for-- fallen for despite the fact that you tried not to-- and you have to share her with your good friend and teammate and pretend it doesn't bother you." For the first time Pat was being genuine, if not a little defensive, but genuine nonetheless.

"If I were in your shoes..." Jon shook his head and tightened his jaw but didn't finish his sentence for self restraint. If he continued he knew it would lead to a physical altercation and considering the circumstances he opted to pass.

"What?" Pat egged him on.

"Nothing," Jon shook his head again and let out a deep breath.

"No, see. This is your problem," Pat slightly raised his voice. "You never say what you want to say. You don't say anything. I'm willing to bet that's why you never told Charlotte how you felt about her."

"Mine and Charlotte's relationship isn't your business," Jon growled through gritted teeth. Jon delayed introducing her to his teammates in the beginning all those years ago because he didn't want to share her. He wanted to keep her for himself. He treasured her and she was something that was so important to him he didn't want to let anyone else in on that part of his life. He regretted everyday that he gave in and combined his two worlds because it opened the door for Kane to be with her.

"It is though," Pat shot right back. "That's what you don't get. I've had to share my girlfriend with you for the last two-plus years. It's not exactly fun."

"Maybe you shouldn't have gone after her then. I mean, you basically said that you thought I was in love with her before you even asked her out-- but yet you still did," Jon finally looked up at him and Pat could see the anger behind Jon's eyes. For Jon, to hear Pat complaining that he had to share her...it enraged him. He had to step aside so Kane could take center stage in order to let Charlotte be happy, despite knowing Pat didn't deserve her and it killed him.

"You had what? Six years to make a move?" Pat asked not backing down. "Maybe if you had quit being such a pussy you would have had her but you didn't, and she picked me."

Jon nodded and took a deep breath before standing up immediately punching Pat in the face. Pat pushed him backwards and Jon felt his back hit the chairs. With Pat on him Jon fought back and ended up getting another shot in before they heard a familiar voice. "Excuse me!"

They couldn't stop even though the nurse was dead serious. "I'll call security if you two don't knock it off," she said sternly and finally Jon and Pat stopped fighting. They looked at her, both breathing heavy and out of breath. "Do I need to have you escorted from the building or are you going to act like adults?"

Pat shook his head. "Sorry," he breathed out not really apologetic.

Jon pursed his lips and looked at at her. "We lost it for a minute. Sorry about that."

"Okay," she nodded her head. "Would you two like to follow me and we'll have a little chat about Charlotte?"

They nodded and followed silently behind her until they entered a room and she shut the door behind them. The nurse looked down at Charlotte's chart in her hands and let out a breath before looking back up at them. "She's stable and awake and that is something in itself to be happy about. She could have been out a lot longer than this."

Jon nodded and with each word she spoke his heart grew larger in his throat cutting off his air supply.

"She obviously has memory loss," the nurse continued telling them what they already knew. "We did some tests and there is some brain trauma." With those words Jon had to fight back vomiting again. "The thing is, she could just as easily remember everything as quickly as she forgot it."

"How? What do we do? Can we help?" Pat asked. Jon was shell shocked, too much so to even ask.

"Well," the nurse continued. "She could remember everything today, tomorrow, a week from now, a month....or she could never regain her memory. We don't know. Brain trauma and memory loss like this are tricky and there is no definite answer one way or the other. Each case is unique."

When the nurse said that Charlotte may never regain her memory Jon turned around and put his hands on his head while beginning to pace the room. Pat looked down and grabbed his forehead. That was their biggest fear.

"What...what do we do? How can we help her maybe remember sooner...?" Jon asked desperately wanting and needing to hear some kind of optimistic answer.

"Just do everything exactly the same as you always would-- and be patient with her. She's going to need you both to be there for her now more than ever. She's confused, scared, her head hurts and she doesn't really know who she is right now," the nurse responded. "It's really terrifying. Plus she has to absorb what's happened to her-- she woke up in a hospital room with a major headache. It's a huge shock. So do everything the same. Don't bombard her with things. Don't do anything that'll make it worse or throw her any curve balls. Try to make it as if her life is as it's always been. The worst thing you could do is change up her daily routine by saying or doing anything different. Take things slow."

Jon knew exactly what that meant-- he couldn't tell her how he felt about her, Pat couldn't come clean and tell her about the affair, and he was stuck where he always had been. Pat won this round and Jon looked down at the ground as he felt a tear slide down his face and hit the hard, cold floor. Everything had become so complicated. He knew Charlotte was the love of his life, and she was awake down the hall, but when he walked in there she would have no clue who he was.

When Jon looked up he saw Pat wearing a slightly victorious grin as he realized the exact same thing.

"Would you two like to go see her?" The nurse asked softly.

Both men nodded their heads and followed her out of the room to Charlotte's. Jon took a deep breath before he walked in and tried to gain the strength he knew he was lacking. He walked in her room along with Kane and took a seat at the side of her bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Did I make a huge mistake by posting on a Friday night?

Not much interaction with Charlotte in this update, but all that starts next chapter. What do you think will happen?

Thank you for reading- please comment :)