Status: Join me for this crazy ride, won't you?

Things Aren't Always What They Seem

Helpless

Jon didn't want to leave after having such a good time with Charlotte. He'd gotten a taste of what it'd be like to wake up next to her-- to wake up with her holding him-- and he didn't want to leave.

"Are you sure you're going to be alright?" Jon asked for what seemed like the twentieth time as he stood in her doorway.

"I'm going to be fine," Charlotte couldn't help laughing at this point but she was trying to reassure him.

"Well we are going to be gone a few days. It's weird, you live here but you have no idea what's around you or how to get anywhere. I just would feel more comfortable knowing you could take care of yourself."

"I can take care of myself. I just won't go anywhere far. I can't drive anyways so relax."

Jon walked over to her table and grabbed her keychain. "You see this?" he asked as he held up one of the three silver keys on her ring. "This is my key. You've used it plenty of times. If you need anything, you go there." He reached down and grabbed a sharpie and began to write his initials on it. He then grabbed the notepad she kept on the fridge and wrote down his address. "If you need anything or get lost, you go to my place and stay there."

"Where am I going to go?" Charlotte asked amused. She couldn't get over how comical she found Jon's reaction to be. "You're going to be gone a few days. I bet I've survived before."

He looked up and glared at her showing he wasn't playing games. "Stop Char. I'm serious. You're in no condition to be left alone right now and I'm worried about you."

Charlotte walked over to him and rested her hand on the back of his shoulder. "I promise you I'll be okay."

He stood up and faced her. "You promise if you get in any type of trouble you'll call me."

Charlotte nodded. "Of course."

Jon started towards the door and Charlotte followed behind him. "I'll be watching, so you better play well," she teased.

Jon stopped dead in her doorjamb again and felt his heart tearing because he didn't want to leave her. He let his head fall back slightly and he took in a deep breath before he turned around to face her once again. "You know I will." He reached out and grabbed her wrist, pulling her into him. "Be careful, please," he breathed out as he held her tight to him. She nuzzled her cheek in his chest and rested her hands at his sides. He felt her fingertips dig into him just the slightest and it made his heart jump start.

When she finally pulled back she looked up into his eyes. "I promise." She reached up and rested her hand on his cheek. "Don't worry about me."

"Impossible," he smiled down at her.

"Seriously, can you tell me something I like doing? I don't want to be stuck in here the whole time you guys are gone."

"No," Jon laughed and shook his head. "If I do that, you'll go out."

"I'll go out anyway," she shot back at him which made him smile wider.

"I know, that's what worries me." Jon gave a friendly sigh. "Fine. You and I like to frequent Starbucks. I won't tell you where it is, but at least it's a tidbit for you to chew on."

"Fair enough," Charlotte nodded her head and smirked. "You better go or you'll be late."

Jon pursed his lips and took a deep breath in. "I know." He leaned down and gave her a soft kiss on the top of her head. "I'll check in on you later."

"I figured you would." Charlotte was happy with Jon, he could see it. He didn't want to go but at least he knew when she playfully forced him to leave that she'd be thinking about him. He felt good knowing that some part of her had to remember him-- even if she didn't realize it-- because they still had that connection, and she hadn't pulled away from him.

***

This was the most antsy Jon had ever been on a road trip. He couldn't get Charlotte out of his mind for more than a minute at a time. He was worried about her, afraid something would happen while he was gone. He knew that it wasn't necessarily his problem because she still technically had a fiance, but the last time he let her out of his sight she nearly lost her life.

"How's Charlotte," Sharpy asked as Jon walked into their room. They were rooming together and to be totally honest, Jon hadn't really talked to him since the day he called him out on his feelings for Charlotte. Jon hadn't roomed with Kane for quite some time due to their off-the-ice differences and if they were roommates now Jon knew he would surely kill him. Jon didn't want to sit trapped in a room with Pat as he sat on the phone throwing love bombs at Charlotte.

"She's..." he looked away and couldn't stop the smile that spread across his face. He couldn't pinpoint exactly what had him in such a good mood but he had a feeling it had something to do with this morning. "She's good, I guess. All things considered."

"Can I ask something I have no business asking?" Sharp had his bags on the bed and was unpacking-- getting settled in for the night.

"That's never stopped you before."

"I like you. I like Kaner." He took a deep breath and pursed his lips. "I don't know how you didn't kill him." By this point it had trickled out what had happened and though when it came to focusing on being a team and playing their game it didn't come up, for the most part Patrick wasn't the most popular guy in the locker room.

"Where's the question?" Jon asked with a slight grin.

"It was implied."

"Oh I wanted to. Believe me," Jon stressed the words. "I was so angry with him, but I wasn't mad he was fucking my girlfriend. Which sounds so...terrible, I guess. I was mad he would do that to Charlotte. Why? I can't, still...I just can't figure out why." Still trying to answer that question baffled Jon.

"Honestly? Neither can we. That's just fucked up, really. You don't do that to your teammate. You don't do that to your girl."

"Well, the thing is I've seen plenty of guys do it to their girls. I've never really seen one do it to his friend, his teammate. I don't even care though. The part I care about...well, you already know."

"Yeah I do. The fact that you're insane over her. So I don't understand, I mean I get you guys need to keep things normal for her. I get that. But how is it not killing you inside that you have to go on like nothing happened?"

"Did I say it wasn't killing me? Fuck. It's the hardest thing I've ever had to do." Jon plopped down on his bed and ran his hand through his hair. "I think that's where Pat and I differ," Jon continued. "I love her enough to let her go. He's forcing his hand. It's like...it's like when we're playing and we go down a couple goals and nothing is really going our way. We start to white-knuckle the stick, which even though we don't want it to, it makes everything worse. He's doing that to Charlotte, he's practically suffocating her."

Sharp shook his head and sighed totally amazed at how much disciple Jon showed. "She just goes on thinking Kane's this perfect guy, all the while he was cheating on her for months." Sharp shook his head in disbelief again. "This is unreal. I gotta tell ya. I don't know how you haven't popped yet. Really, it's been eight years coming."

"I know this, believe me, I know this. It sucks." He shook his head. "I can handle being patient because I think she knows deep down I really do care about her. She doesn't even know who Rose is right now, and I don't want her finding out. That will just open a can of worms that can't do anything but harm everything."

"Have you seen her?" Sharp asked referring to Rose.

Jon shook his head. "No, I don't really want to, but I think eventually I'll lose that battle. I genuinely don't care to ever see her again. I was over her before we really ever started up. I guess I kind of was in the wrong there. I only dated her to keep my head above water watching Charlotte and Kane.

"Yeah," Sharp nodded. "I didn't realize it took you this long to admit that."

"Shut up," Jon spat back with a smirk.

"Is she making any progress, Charlotte?" Sharp asked. He was genuinely concerned for Charlotte too.

"Um." A confused looked spread across Jon's face and he took a few seconds to think. "I'd have to say no. Though I think deep down part of her clicks with me at least. I really thought she'd push me away, be uncomfortable, not trust me. I mean she has no idea who we are, you know? But she's..." that same goofy smile spread across Jon's face again. "In some ways it's better than ever. I have a clean slate."

"So does Kaner," Sharp replied and the smile instantly faded from Jon's face.

"Don't remind me." Jon glared at him.

***

"I miss you," Pat said softly into the phone as he stretched out on his bed. He knew he wasn't in everyone's good graces and though he didn't like it, he understood why.

"You do?" Charlotte asked from her end kind of flirtatiously.

"Of course I do. I wish I didn't have to leave to be honest. You're just starting to feel better and be up and about. I want to be there for you."

"Really?" Pat could hear the smile that undoubtably spread across Charlotte's face. Charlotte still was unsure how to totally act around him and his sweetness with her was starting to take it's toll. She was finally letting him in. "How is it anyway? How's the hotel?"

"Eh," Pat shrugged. "Sucks. I don't know," he sighed out. "It's nice but I'd rather be home." He still felt pangs of guilt from what had transpired earlier in the day. He wanted to end things with Rose and he thought he had, but he was realizing he had a problem with self control. He wanted out so long ago and he should have had the balls to be able to stop, but he couldn't. Now he was rewarded a rare opportunity to have a second chance with Charlotte and he was determined to not screw up even though he already had.

"Well I'm home and I'd rather be out. I've been in the house all day and I'm bored. I don't know where anything is. I feel like I'm caged."

"So go out," Pat suggested nonchalantly. "Not tonight of course. Get some fresh air tomorrow. Go for a walk-- go get a coffee, whatever."

"You think so?" she asked tentatively.

"Yeah why not?" he shrugged not seeing the stupidity of his offer.

"Okay," she said as she eased into his answer. "Yeah, why not?" she repeated.

"Charlotte," Pat called her name softly and waited for her response. "Yeah?"

"No matter what, I love you."

"You've told me that a million times since I've come home from the hospital," she commented with a little giggle. "I'm starting to believe you." Though he didn't deserve it, her words calmed him.

"I'll call you tomorrow," he said with a smile.

"Okay, night," she said in closing as they hung up the phone.

Pat was visibly happy and when he looked up and saw the look his roommate, Brandon Bollig gave him, he let his head drop. "What?" Pat asked already knowing the answer.

"Nothing," Brandon said coldly as he shook his head and looked away.

***

Jon had spoken with Charlotte before the game and thought about her during it. He was annoyed that they had lost, but it paled in comparison to what was going on in his personal life. He was looking forward to getting back to the hotel and checking in on her so he was extra motivated to get through interviews and get on the bus as quickly as possible. They had played a matinee game so it was still early enough to enjoy the evening and actually get some rest.

He hadn't been in his room five minutes when he heard his phone ring. He was in the middle of changing out of his suit and into some sweats when he heard the familiar buzzing coming from his bed. He tossed the clothes on the floor and finally found where he'd thrown his phone and when he looked he saw Charlotte's face on his screen. He couldn't help smiling when he answered.

"Hey Char," Jon picked up happily.

"Jon?" He could immediately hear the panic in her voice.

"Char what's wrong?"

"I..I don't know where I am. I've been walking around for like forty five minutes and I'm...I'm just lost." Jon swallowed and felt a pit in his stomach as he listened to her voice shake on the other end.

"Where are you?" He rolled his eyes at himself knowing full well that it was a stupid question.

"I don't know!" Charlotte yelled out frustrated. "I took a walk to get Starbucks. I googled it, whatever-- don't be mad. And I was out so I figured if I came across a grocery store I'd pick some stuff up and then I ended up getting lost and I don't know where to go. I feel so stupid." It was pretty clear that she was crying and panicked. Jon felt helpless because he knew that being out of state there was nothing he could do.

"Charlotte," he sighed out. His heart was racing a little faster and he frantically paced the room. "Why did you go out? I told you to stay in."

"I know but when I was talking to Patrick he said I should go out and get fresh air..." when Jon heard those words he grabbed the phone tighter in his hand and dropped it down to his chest, tossed his head back and fought back his anger. He took a deep breath in to keep calm and finally put the phone back to his ear. "Listen to me, tell me as much as you can about where you are. Go to a street corner and look at the name of the street and it's intersection. Go inside the first public place you can find and tell me where that is. I'll call a cab to come get you. Do you know your home address?"

"I wrote it down, I have it in my purse," Charlotte answered as she sniffled away tears.

When Charlotte did as she was told, Jon did what he promised and immediately hung up to call her a cab. As soon as he knew one was on the way he sent her a text, threw his phone down into his bed and stormed out and down the hallway. He banged on Patrick's door until he opened, and as soon as he did Jon immediately shoved him hard.

"What the fuck?" Pat asked as he caught his balance. He went back at Jon who was in no mood to mess around.

"What's going on?" Brandon asked as he saw the commotion between his two friends.

Jon ignored him as he pushed Pat backwards again. "Why the hell would you ever suggest to Charlotte that she should go out? Alone? When she has no idea where anything is? Are you that stupid? Do you give even the smallest shit about her?" Jon's voice raised with each question he asked. By this point Sharp had rushed down the hall and was waiting to break up the inevitable fight.

"What? I told her to get fresh air, she told me she was bored out of her mind," Pat answered defending himself.

"Oh my God," Jon yelled out in total frustration. "She has no one to look out for her now that we're gone, she doesn't know her surroundings anymore! She just called me in tears because she got lost and couldn't find her way home. I had to call her a cab and I'm waiting for her to tell me she made it home alright. If you're going to pretend to be the loving saint of a fiance-- actually be one!"

"Okay," Sharp said trying to step in. Brandon was ready to grab Pat if he made a move. "Let's go back to our room Toews," Sharp said as he went to grab Jon's shoulder, but Jon pushed him off.

"You're a coward, it's that simple," Jon said glaring at Pat. "I can't wait until she figures out who you really are."

"Fuck off," Pat spat back angrily and gave him an aggressive shove.

Jon tried to push Pat's hands away and took a swing at him but before it could escalate Brandon grabbed Pat and Sharp grabbed Jon. They couldn't believe they needed to physically separate the captain and alternate captain for their team.

"Let's go," Sharp said as he led Jon out of the room.

Once the door shut and Brandon was convinced Pat wouldn't run after Jon, he let him go. "Thanks man," Pat said under his breath. Brandon didn't answered as he went back to his bed and grabbed his ipad.

***

The road trip ended with Jon and Pat miraculously managing to not kill each other. Jon felt a little bit of peace knowing that Charlotte hadn't gotten herself into any situations he couldn't help her with while he was gone, and Pat found himself really bothered by the fact that when Charlotte was in trouble, she had called Jon first. As much wrong as Pat had done-- and he'd done a lot-- he found himself genuinely rediscovering the love he had for her all along.

It'd been a good five days since the boys had been home but they finally were. Pat went to his house and Jon went to his own. Both men were exhausted.

Jon unpacked, took a shower, and then took a nap. It'd been a good few hours that he'd been home when he heard a knock at his door. A smile spread across his face as he hoped he'd see Charlotte when he opened it. He'd been gone from her longer than he wanted to be.

Jon opened the door and his face fell.

"Hey," Rose said quietly as she stood nervously in front of him.

"What are you doing here?" He asked coldly not inviting her in-- the mere sight of her testing his patience.

"You forget I know your schedule. I figured you were home."

Jon shrugged.

"I figured if I tried calling first you would ignore me," Rose went on. "I just want to talk."

"About what?" Jon asked, his jaw tight.

"Can I come in?" Rose begged as she looked up at him, her eyes pleading with him.

Jon didn't move for a few seconds before he finally opened the door wider and gave her the permission she so desperately wanted.

She walked into his living room and took a seat on the couch. "I'm really, I just..." she sighed. "I guess I just want to apologize."

"I don't need an apology," Jon walked in and stood in front of her.

"Would you please sit?" Rose asked as she looked up at him and patted the couch next to her. "I feel uncomfortable with you standing there like that."

Jon sighed, rolled his eyes and took a seat next to her. He didn't look at her, he kept his gaze on the ground and neither talked for what seemed like minutes.

"I was upset with you for things, and no matter how much we weren't working out I shouldn't have done what I did," Rose said finally breaking the silence.

Jon knew her for over a year at this point and he knew she wasn't one to feel much remorse about stuff. He wasn't sure if he should buy what she desperately wanted to sell. "Thanks," was all he could muster up.

Rose turned to him and tucked her foot underneath her. She put her hands on his cheeks and made him look at her. "I really did love spending time with you."

Jon nodded and looked away.

"Look, what can I do to make it up to you? I didn't want to leave things as bad as we left them that morning you...well, you walked in on me and Patrick."

"Just leave it alone Rose."

She scooted closer to him and he saw the tears start to stream down her face. "I'm going to miss you whether or not you believe me."

"I'm sure you'll be just fine," he answered stoically.

"Jon..."

"What?" he asked annoyed. "What do you want from me Rose? You said what you came here to say."

She hadn't taken her hands off his cheeks and it gave her more control as she held his head and leaned in pressing her lips against his. She tried so hard to get him to take the bait, move back against her, but he didn't-- he was completely unresponsive. She pulled back and looked at him knowing she wasn't going to get what she wanted. "Just one more night together..."

She didn't give Jon a chance to respond as she swung her leg around in a move of desperation and in one fluid motion straddled him on the couch. She leaned down and began to press her lips to his again hoping he'd give in.

Jon put his hands to her sides and instantly started to push her off him. When he succeeded in doing so he couldn't help but notice something in the corner of his eye. He looked up and saw Charlotte standing in his front hallway by his table with two cups of Starbucks in her hand. Her eyes were wide open and he could see what he swore was hurt on her face.

"Shit," he gasped as he totally pushed Rose off him and back on the couch without so much as looking at her.

"No," Charlotte shook her head and tried to leave as quickly as she could. "I-- I'm-- I'm sorry. I should have knocked instead." She placed the cup she brought for Jon on the table, "This is for you," she stuttered out and quickly ran to the door to leave.

"Wait." Jon caught up to her and grabbed her wrist as she was about to close his door behind her. He wanted to explain but he had no idea what to say.

"Don't worry about it, you have company. I'll talk to you later." She looked up at him and forced a smile though he could see her eyes were beginning to water.

"It's not--" Jon started but Charlotte shook her head and put her hand up. "It's okay," she looked passed Jon to Rose before looking back at him and it was clear she still had no idea who Rose was. "Have a good time. I'm going to Pat's anyway," she stammered out as she pulled away from his grasp.

Jon had no idea what to do or what had just happened. He was totally shell shocked as Charlotte closed the door and he turned around to look at Rose. "Are you happy now?" he yelled at her.

She got up off the couch and met him at the door. "This went better than I hoped," she whispered as she went to kiss him.

He pushed her back and shook his head. "Get out. Now."
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh boy. I have a feeling I'm going to get yelled at for this one, lol.

What do you think? What's going to happen now?

Thanks for reading-- please leave comments. If you do, I'll update sooner :)