Status: Join me for this crazy ride, won't you?

Things Aren't Always What They Seem

Trembled

Why didn't I go after her?

That was something Jon had asked himself about a hundred times after Charlotte left. In his defense he did try to stop her, but his attempt was rather weak.

"Char, wait," he said softly, almost not at all, as he reached out for her.

"No Jon." She had tears in her eyes as she looked at him and it broke his heart. "Since the night I got engaged our entire friendship changed. You used to be the best person I knew-- the person I knew I could always depend on. The person I knew would never, ever hurt me," she enunciated her words making it crystal clear how much she meant what she was telling him. "You don't say the things you said to me that night." Her crying intensified and Jon almost broke down as he listened to her talk; watched her hit her lowest point. "You know... I left here that night in complete disarray. I cried hysterically the entire time I was in the car. The last thing that crossed my mind when I was pushed hard into oncoming traffic-- and thought I was going to die-- was you." Charlotte couldn't physically talk anymore she had become so hysterical. She shook her head, turned around and burst into tears as she left, closing the door behind her.

Jon stood in front of the door for a good minute before he got his bearings together. He hadn't moved a muscle, all he could do was stand there still like a statue. It was a lot to take in. First off, Charlotte got her memory back and boy did she remember everything fast. That in itself was enough to make Jon freeze in his place. He didn't expect it nor did he see it coming-- even when he imagined her getting her memory back, he didn't know what to expect or what would happen in that moment when she did. He didn't know if it would be gradual-- she'd remember bits and pieces-- or if it would happen as it did, fast and furious.

The fact that she remembered everything-- that it all flooded back to her in such a rush didn't bode well for him. She remembered everything that happened and exactly how it went down when they fought in his apartment. She was right on one count too-- he was incredibly guilty over it. To her, his actions were motored by guilt over how terribly he'd treated her, especially in the weeks leading up to accident. To Jon, his actions were justified not by guilt, but by the fact that he was in love.

The thing was he didn't let her walk away because he was afraid of telling her how he felt. It was just so complicated. Bombarding her with more things wouldn't benefit him-- she wasn't even in the right state of mind to hear it. He wasn't afraid of losing to Kane for maybe the first time in years. He realized that what he said to her moments before her memory was restored was true-- there was a reason that they hadn't set a date before her accident. He didn't know what it was, but he knew if Charlotte wanted a date set they would have set one already.

If there was something Jon learned about Charlotte over the eight years they'd known each other it was that when she was pissed, really pissed like now, she needed to cool off. Jon wanted to run after her, stop her, kiss her, do something-- and he thought about it-- but where would it get him? She was probably just as shocked as he was-- even more so.

To say he went to sleep that night would be a lie. He didn't sleep, not a wink. He rubbed his eyes and felt the wetness they had leaked. He almost gave himself a bald spot from tugging at his hair so hard. He had to physically restrain himself from leaving the house a few times to go to her, but the one thing he definitely didn't do was sleep.

Their schedule for the next week was rough. They had a game for the next two consecutive days-- three in the next four days to be honest. Jon was optimistic that Charlotte would be there-- even if it were for Kane-- and that he could see her, the old her. His Charlotte, the one who had just come back, would listen to him. Or he hoped.

***

Jon was at the arena earlier than he maybe ever was. He skated, rode the stationary bikes, did whatever he could to release his adrenaline, keep his mind off Charlotte, and stay loose for the game. When Sharp walked in he quickly went over to him unsure of what to say.

"Yes?" Sharpy looked up at him with a confused expression as to why Jon was standing over him as he sat by his locker.

"Charlotte got her memory back," Jon blurted out.

Sharp's eyes lit up and he went to congratulate his friend. "That's great--"

"No," Jon shook his head. "She remembered everything, like, everything that happened the night of the accident. She remembered our fight and she walked out."

"You fought with her then?"

Jon nodded and bit his lip. "Yeah," he let out ashamed.

Sharp took in a deep breath. "Have you talked to her since?"

Jon shook his head and didn't utter a word.

"She's with Kane?"

Jon shrugged. "I guess. I don't know."

"I'm going to ask you something you aren't going to like," Sharp started, giving Jon ample warning. "Why did you let her leave? Why didn't you tell her, kiss her, something?"

A smile spread across Jon's face-- not a happy one though. It was more a reflex to the frustration and anger he instantly felt rise up in him. "What would that prove?" Jon asked him.

"You've sat on your feelings for eight years. It would prove a whole hell of a lot," Sharp said matter-of-factly.

"Kaner's gotta tell her what happened-- he's gotta tell her about the affair," Jon stammered out.

"C'mon Toews. You think he's actually gonna tell her? You and I know he won't say a word now that he's all loved up."

Sharp's words hit Jon like a brick. "I'll make him tell her."

"How? You're gonna beat him up? You can't make him do anything."

"I can," Jon insisted. "He's gotta tell her. She'll find out eventually now that everyone knows."

"Okay," Sharp shrugged. "If you don't tell her what you need to tell her I'm afraid I might watch you explode. You're slipping now. You've been for a long time."

"I'm fine," Jon brushed him off.

Jon's head shot up when he saw Kane walk in the room. Patrick gave Jon a little smirk and greeted him with a head nod as he went to his locker. Jon's jaw tightened at the sight of him and he took a deep breath.

"You gotta keep it together man," he heard Sharp say which pulled him from his mental breakdown.

"I'm fine," he repeated again and went to his locker.

He didn't say another word to anyone until after the game.

***

Charlotte was waiting for Patrick in the room with the other wives and girlfriends. She liked to keep to herself as she was more reserved that the others-- not wrapped up in superficial conversation like her peers seemed to be. She had seen Patrick in the morning, she didn't run there after she left Jon's. She didn't really know how she felt, everything was still such a blur and she was still accepting it but she felt that the thing that would make her feel at home was at the arena, watching Patrick and Jon play. Leaving with Patrick was just a formality at this point and she wanted to avoid any and all awkwardness by just staying put and waiting for him to give her a ride.

She decided to walk out and wait against the wall next to the door of the room the WAGs were in. She was out there quietly for less than five minutes when she saw a familiar, friendly face approaching her.

"Hey Charlotte," Patrick Sharp greeted her with a smile as he was on his way to get his wife.

"Hey!" she responded genuinely happy to see him.

He gave her a quick hug, "How are you feeling?"

"I'm-- I"m okay," she nodded. "Thank you. It's been a whirlwind that's for sure."

"I can imagine. We were all really worried about you, I'm glad you're alright."

"Thank you," Charlotte repeated and felt her cheeks turn red. She felt so out of place and uncomfortable being so much the center of attention.

"Jon was really," Patrick shook his head and let out a breath. "He was a mess the entire time you were in the hospital."

She forced a small smile. "I bet."

"I've never see him so shaken up before. It was kind of scary, I won't lie. I don't think he would have made it if you didn't wake up."

Charlotte swallowed back tears and gave him another smile. "I don't know about that," she said politely.

"Trust me," he nodded his head. "You're his backbone. Always have been."

"That's very sweet Patrick," she said appreciating his kindness. "Speaking of which, I'm sure my Pat was no better."

Sharp pursed his lips like he was holding back and tilted his head. "You should ask him."

"What do you mean?" Charlotte asked as she wrinkled her brow and looked at him unsure of what he was implying.

"Kane," Sharp looked away and took a second to form in his mind what he wanted to say. "He was certainly dealing in his own way."

Charlotte's reddened cheeks gave off her insecurities. "I don't know what you mean," she said with a little nervous laugh.

Patrick put his hand on her shoulder. "You will. I'm sure he's going to fill you in all about it. I'm glad you're up and better, I'll see you later," he gave her another quick hug before he went in and got his wife. His words left Charlotte confused, her mind racing. She tried to figure out what he meant when she saw Pat approaching her.

"Ready beautiful?" He asked as he put his fist on his hip, making a triangle and extending his elbow out for her to wrap her arm around.

"Mm hmm," she nodded not entirely engaged with him as she was in her own thoughts as she grabbed his arm and they walked out of the arena.

***

Jon had never felt more lonely after a game than he felt that night. When he walked in his door he realized he couldn't spend another night in limbo. He threw his stuff down and turned right back around, getting in his car and driving where he needed to go.

He knocked on the door hard until it opened and he saw who he needed to see.

"What's up Toews? What are you doing here this late?" Pat asked as he stood there in his pajamas, most of his body hidden behind his door. He looked like he'd been in bed or sleeping by the looks of it.

"I want to talk to you," Jon said sternly as he looked at him not caring how much of an inconvenience he was being.

"She's not here," Pat automatically answered thinking Jon was there looking for Charlotte and shooting it down immediately in the hope that Jon would leave.

"I'm not here for her. We need to talk," Jon said authoritatively.

Kane could tell Jon wasn't going to back down but he didn't extend the offer for Jon to come inside. "Now isn't really a good time man."

"That's too fucking bad," Jon shot back. "You and I need to talk about things. You know we do."

"No we don't," Pat quickly responded in a low voice as if he was trying to shush him.

Jon stood outside the door on Pat's porch waiting for him to open it fully and invite him inside but it didn't take long for him to realize Pat didn't want him there. He didn't want to hear what Jon had to say-- which didn't come as a surprise to Jon.

"You want to do this like this?" Jon asked, his voice elevating slightly. "Fine. You know she got her memory back-- she remembers everything. You were supposed to tell her--"

"Just stop," Pat yelled in a quiet whisper. "It's my situation and I'll handle it."

"No," Jon yelled not caring how loud he was being. He was fed up. "It isn't your situation. It's mine too. You're honestly going to tell me that you can look her in the eyes now and not tell her that you were fucking my girlfriend behind her back for over half a year? You have no conscious over it?"

Pat's eyes popped open and he pursed his lips together, but he didn't retaliate with his rhetoric like Jon had expected.

"Nothing to say?" Jon shrugged and asked angrily waiting for some kind of response.

Pat let out a deep breath and dropped his head. With his hand grabbing the edge of the door he slowly pushed it all the way open where Jon saw Charlotte standing behind him with her hand over her mouth and tears in her eyes.

"What?" she asked in disbelief. Jon noticed immediately that she was in jeans and a shirt, not pajamas like her fiance was.

Neither Jon or Patrick knew what to say as Charlotte looked back and forth between the two of them wanting someone to give her answers.

She stepped up to Pat and forced him to look her in the eyes. "Is this true?" she was visibly hurt. Her eyes searched his for any kind of dispute. Her mouth was agape as she waited for an answer but she grew impatient. "Answer me!"

Pat slowly nodded his head clearly ashamed, "Yeah," he confessed quietly. He quickly went to explain himself and try to make her understand, "I'm so sorry Charlotte, it didn't--" he would have kept going but he didn't get the chance. Charlotte slapped him across the face and it caught him off guard. She looked in his eyes as tears fell down her face and to the ground. "Don't you dare do that, just don't insult me by trying to seriously explain it. I don't want you to ever call me again." She took her engagement ring off her ring and whipped it down hard onto the ground as she walked outside where found herself face to face with Jon.

He looked down into her eyes and felt the knots in his stomach. This wasn't how he planned on her finding out. "Charlotte..." He said her name tenderly but he was met with the same fate his teammate was. She slapped him across the cheek, the sting paralyzing him. Jon kept his head and his gaze down at the ground and didn't look back up at her-- this time it was out of guilt.

"You knew? You knew when we were hanging out together and we were in my bed and I asked you if there was anything I needed to know? You looked at me and you said no and I trusted you..." She shook her head in disbelief and walked down the steps leaving the guys totally shell-shocked on Patrick's porch.

Charlotte disappeared to where her car was-- she didn't park in the driveway just in case Jon came looking for her-- and she drove home alone. She didn't know if she was allowed to drive yet or not, but she didn't care.

***

Charlotte put her pajamas on and curled up in her bed. She started sobbing the moment she got in her car and hadn't stopped yet. So many emotions ran through her, so many questions she needed answers to. Her stomach was nauseous and her head still hurt from the accident. She really didn't know how long she was curled up in her bed when she heard someone fidgeting with her front door.

Her heart caught in her throat until she realized it was Patrick-- he had a key after all-- and she wasn't about to get out of bed to make things easier on him. She didn't want to see him, she had meant it when she told him that, but she didn't have to strength to go fight him. She figured she could ignore him when he walked in her room and she could simply tell him to get out.

She heard him finally walk in and close the door behind him. Her heart pounded hard against her ribcage as he walked down the hallway and stopped in her bedroom door. When she flickered her eyes down she lost her breath when she realized it wasn't Patrick.

It was Jon.

She quickly flung the covers off of her and whipped her legs around planting her feet firmly on the floor unsure of what to do next. She felt the back of her legs grazing the edge of her bed as she looked at him and neither of them moved for a few seconds. Charlotte didn't know what to say as her chest rapidly rose and fell from her erratic breathing.

Jon finally seemed to find his legs as he walked towards her like a man possessed. He didn't say a word as he grabbed her and pulled her to him, crashing his lips down hard onto hers.

Jon's heart was racing and he feared she'd push him away but she didn't, she wrapped her arms around him and kissed him back eagerly as she let him gently guide her down on the bed. He crawled in between her legs and grinded against her as he felt his erection grow immediately even though neither had taken off any article of clothing yet. His tongue dominated hers as he continued the assault on her body. He waited for her to push him away, tell him to stop, but to his relief she pulled him to her tighter and it felt so right.

He sucked at her bottom lip, kissed and nibbled down her neck and breathed into her ear. He felt complete for the first time-- this was what he'd been waiting for all along. He wanted to show her how much he loved her. He physically couldn't stand it any longer and all the emotions, all the feelings, all the love he'd been suppressing for eight years came to a head. If she would have pushed him away, he would have stopped. If she would have said no, gave any inclination she didn't want him to keep going, he would have respected her wishes. But something inside him knew that she wanted this just as much as he did. It was a moment that didn't require words-- it was simply perfect.

He pulled back and caught his breath, pulling her up with him and swiftly took her shirt off tossing it to the ground. He immediately pressed his lips back to hers until he felt her tugging at his shirt. Once she lifted it off and tossed it on top of hers on the floor, his lips once again returned to hers.

He looked at her in the minimal light that came in through her window from the moon. She was so beautiful to him that he literally lost his breath for a few seconds. He let his hands explore her body for the first time, let them run over her smooth skin. She had been in her pj's and wasn't wearing a bra, so seeing her so exposed was almost too much for him to take. He kissed down her neck and chest, taking one nipple in his mouth, flicking it with his tongue while gently pinching the other with his fingers. She moaned and sighed out pressing back against him and he knew she didn't want him to stop.

His tongue slid down the center of her chest, over her belly button and down to flimsy material standing between him and her. He sat back in-between her legs and easily slid them down and off where they joined the other articles of clothing. He looked down at her and had to take a few breaths to calm himself. Charlotte was totally naked and at his mercy-- no amount of fantasizing had prepared him for this. He felt like a virgin-- all the other girls he'd previously been with he'd completely forgotten about-- she was the only one that ever mattered. While he fucked plenty of women over the years, this was the first time he was going to make love.

He leaned back and grabbed her long leg, running his fingers down until he got to her ankle. He gave it a little kiss, and continued his trail upwards until he got to the inside of her thigh. He leaned back down and hovered over her, kissing her lips softly right before he slid his hand down and let his fingers slip in between her soft, wet pussy.

Charlotte moaned out at his touch, arching her back as she kissed him harder. He grinned against her lips, pleased with how wet she was. Her soft, sensual whimpers and gasps for breath told him what he needed to know. She was getting close to orgasm but Jon wasn't going to let her get there yet. He pulled back and sat on his knees between her legs, undid his pants and pushed them down, kicking them off onto the floor. Charlotte looked up at him as he looked back down into her eyes and he could see her trembling-- he felt it her trembling. His hard, oozing cock rubbed against her folds as he leaned back down on top of her. He kissed her delicately, sliding his one hand under her neck and his other down her body until he got to his dick. He grabbed the base and positioned himself at her opening. He pulled back just a little so that their noses touched and looked her in the eyes when he pushed into her.

Jon's eyes rolled into the back of his head at how good she felt. Charlotte was trembling, but then again, so was he. He felt alive when she dug her fingers into his backside. He twirled her hair in his fingers and kissed her as he continued to push in and out of her. Her aroma filled his senses and sent him to a place of complete happiness. He wanted her, he wanted this everyday for the rest of his life. He'd never so much glance at another girl if she was his.

She ran her hand over the muscles in his back and shoulders, nibbled at his neck and let out moans of pleasure into his ear. Every so often he would pull his head back just enough to look her in the eyes as he made love to her. He couldn't mask the smile of pure content he felt being with her. He was so desperately in love with her that the sex was almost overwhelming for him. It hadn't taken them long at all to find their rhythm and Jon struggled to keep himself from coming before Charlotte. He knew she was close, he could tell by how hard she dug her fingers into him and by her moans that were continually getting louder. He was about to climax when she cried out and spasmed all over his cock. Knowing he'd satisfied her, he let himself go. He came so hard inside her he saw spots and he rode it out until he couldn't take it anymore. When he finished, both of them were breathing heavy. He was still on top of her as he looked down into her eyes and gave her one last delicate kiss on her lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well. I debated where to end this chapter-- I was going to end it where she found out, but you guys have been so patient that I decided to give you the smut :)

Don't think it's smooth sailing from here on out though, because it isn't.

Like it? Is it how you imagined? Do you think Jon did the right thing? What do you think will happen next?
Hope you aren't disappointed! Thanks for reading and commenting!