Status: Join me for this crazy ride, won't you?

Things Aren't Always What They Seem

Vulnerable

Jon had an extra pep in his step when he got to the arena and the first person who noticed was Duncan. He hadn't gotten the chance to tell his friend everything that had happened with Charlotte and he knew that Duncs was going out of his mind waiting.

Jon gave a little crooked smile as Duncan approached him which elicited a grin from his friend. "So how'd it go?" Duncs asked him knowingly-- he could tell by the look on Jon's face that everything had worked out.

"Perfect," Jon answered with a shrug. "I couldn't be happier. For the first time since you've known me, I couldn't be happier." It was the most vulnerable, honest answer Jon had ever given.

Duncan put his hand on Jon's shoulder and gave it a squeeze. "That's great man. I'm really glad to hear that. It should have been you two all along."

"Yeah," Jon nodded his head and let his mind drift to Charlotte momentarily. "Wanna know something?" Jon offered up more to his buddy and Duncan nodded wanting to hear it. "All that time I spent going home with girl after girl," Jon dropped his head and shook it as he let out a deep sigh. "It meant nothing to me and I could have just been with her had I just done something sooner. I really regret it. I was so miserable man," Jon let his feelings completely betray him and gave away more than he would have liked.

Duncan slowly nodded his head offering his support. "I know that, it was pretty obvious. It's over with though, you can't dwell on it now that you have what you've always wanted."

"I guess," Jon breathed out in agreement. "It just bothers me, you know."

"She loves you man," Duncan wanted to make his friend realize how much he had to be happy about opposed to beating himself up over things he couldn't change. "She's crazy about you and she always has been. Think about that now. There's nothing else for you to be miserable over. You got her."

A slight smile curled up on Jon's face and he inhaled deeply. "Yeah," he said as he sighed out with stars in his eyes. "God I love her."

"I don't want to be the one who bursts your bubble here," Duncan's tone changed slightly. "But I don't think I need to tell you that Kaner is gonna be pissed."

"Yeah," Jon instantly agreed with him. "He doesn't know anything and I'd prefer he didn't know anything for as long as possible."

"He's gonna find out Tazer, c'mon. She's coming tonight I assume?"

Jon nodded, "Yeah. But, I don't know. I'll deal with it when we cross that bridge. There's nothing he can complain about. He had her, he cheated, he lost her."

"I know that, and you know that, but he's kind of a douche when it comes to things like that." Duncan loved Kaner-- he was his friend-- but he also knew how he was and he couldn't deny the truth.

"I don't even care," Jon shook his head and looked confidently at Duncan. "I really don't care. Let him say whatever he wants, it doesn't change the fact that really...she's pretty much always been mine."

***

It was obvious that Jon was skating a little faster and had a little more adrenaline during the game. He was amped up and felt butterflies for the first time in he couldn't remember how long every time he looked up and saw Charlotte's smiling face beaming back at him. He was extra excited when he scored both of his goals and immediately looked up at Charlotte when he started celebrating, though he knew that she was already well-aware he did it for her.

After the game was over he found himself very antsy for the post-game interviews and rituals to finish up so that he could see the girl who always made his heart swell. When he saw her by the locker room door the smile that spread across his face was almost unrecognizable. He immediately walked over to her and gently cradled her face in his hand as he leaned down to kiss her hard. It was the first time he actually was able to live out this moment he'd actively imagined for years and he found himself lost in it for a few seconds.

"Mmmm," she moaned into him with a huge smile as breathed him in. She tugged at either side of his suit jacket, pulling him closer to him. "You were amazing tonight. Like always."

"This is definitely a memorable night, that's for sure." He leaned down and kissed her again as he held her waist in his hands. "You okay?" he asked and she knew why.

"Yeah," she nodded. "Nothing yet."

"I'm gonna go grab my stuff and we'll head out of here. I'll be back in a second," he said as he leaned down and kissed her one final time before he gave her hand a little squeeze as he walked away.

Charlotte's eyes sparkled as she looked at him from across the room. She was so blinded by her love for Jon that she didn't notice Patrick walk over to her. "Really?" It was clear as day the bitterness in his voice. "You're with him now?"

She looked at him and swallowed. "I am. How's Rose?"

Patrick glared at her before taking a step closer, making her slightly uncomfortable. "Better than you ever were," he spat back for no other reason than to hurt her.

Charlotte's face fell and she felt the pit in her stomach as she looked at him. She didn't say anything simply because she didn't know what to say.

Patrick shook his head and turned his gaze away before looking back in her eyes. "He can have my sloppy seconds for all I care."

"You want to start that?" he heard Jon ask from behind him. "Get the fuck away from her."

Patrick spun around and Jon could see how tight his jaw was-- how much it stung Patrick to know she was officially with him. "My pleasure, captain," Patrick answered in classic douche form as he walked back to his locker and left Jon and Charlotte alone.

Jon stood protectively in front of Charlotte and slipped his arms around her waist. "Are you alright?"

Charlotte took a deep breath and nodded her head. "Yeah-- I didn't expect him to act like a mature adult about this. He, um, he doesn't like losing. Or being rejected-- this is like a slap in the face to him no matter how much he thought it might happen."

"I think when you left," Jon started. "I think that it kind of comforted him that you and I would never happen. So, now his ego is bruised and this is the result of that."

Charlotte shrugged and Jon noticed her face fall again. "What's wrong Char?"

"I just..." she swallowed uncomfortably. "I just hate coming between you guys."

"He'll get over it. He always does," Jon said reassuringly before leaning down and giving Charlotte a soft kiss on her forehead. "Ready to go?"

Charlotte nodded her confirmation and Jon took her hand in his. When they walked out the door he slid his arm around her and held her close to him as they walked outside-- just like he always dreamed he would-- and it felt better than any fantasy he'd had over the years.

***

Jon was relieved that they had a day off the next day and no games for two more after that. It gave Kaner time to cool off where Jon didn't have to see him. It also gave Jon more time to spend wrapped up in Charlotte-- which was something he couldn't get enough of after eight years of wishing and waiting.

It was the day after their day off, and the day before their next game, when some of the guys wanted to go out for drinks. Jon had no interest in going out drinking anymore since he had what made him truly happy, but Charlotte didn't want him to miss out on time with his teammates.

"Patrick's going to be there," Jon griped to Charlotte but it didn't seem to phase her.

"It's okay," Charlotte said nonchalantly. "What's he gonna do to us when all of us are out? I think we're giving him too much credit by even talking about it, to be honest."

Jon thought about what she said for a moment and nodded his agreement. "Yeah," he said with a shrug. "You're right, actually."

"I know I am," she grinned at him as she leaned in to kiss him softly on the lips. "We'll go tonight and hopefully smooth things over-- prove you two can be in the same room and all can be normal-- and then we'll start staying in more. To be honest with you...I hated going out to the bar all the time with Patrick. I wanted to stay in and he couldn't handle it. You don't know how crappy it is to be in a relationship with a borderline alcoholic." She sat with her legs underneath her on the couch next to Jon, who was perched next to her, as they lounged together watching television.

Jon wrinkled his brow and turned his attention fully to her genuinely surprised by her confession. "Why didn't you ever say anything?"

"I don't know," Charlotte shrugged. "It was so complicated. It was like, I knew his rep before we got together and then he was really good at hiding it. And things happened and I didn't really think I could end it. Plus-- I didn't know if it would be awkward between you and me if him and I broke up. I don't really wanna talk about it. It's over and I couldn't be happier now."

Jon never realized how unhappy Charlotte had really been in her relationship with Kane-- he didn't fulfill her needs emotionally and it showed. Jon was so wrapped up in the emotional anguish he felt knowing she was with Kane that he ignored the signs he should have picked up on as her best friend.

"I'll never do that to you."

"I know," she practically whispered and lightly caressed Jon's cheek with her hand as she really looked at him. "I never thought for one second that you would." Jon grabbed her wrist and pulled her into him where she nuzzled her face into his chest and took solace in his arms as they laid tangled up together on the couch.

***

They'd been at the bar with everyone for about an hour and nothing profound had gone down. Patrick had kept himself decently behaved-- well, for him. He walked around picking up girls and drinking his liquor, but he left Jon and Charlotte alone-- other than the resentful glances he'd occasionally send their way. Jon sat with his arm protectively around Charlotte and engaged in entertaining conversation with the other guys. He filled the others in on what happened between him and Charlotte for them to get to this point when Jon felt a tap on his shoulder.

"Hey...Jon," a brunette with big brown eyes said with a friendly smile as she looked at Jon.

Jon politely smiled back, "Hi," he answered unsure of who this girl was but knowing he'd seen her before.

"I don't know if you remember me..." the girl trailed off. "We, uh," she paused and looked around the table realizing all eyes were on her. Pat suddenly came and took a seat at the table with everyone else and watched the spectacle in front of them. "We hung out, maybe a year or two ago," she said as she swallowed. It was quite obvious what she meant by 'hung out' and it made Jon shudder.

He nodded his head and realized what her intentions were. "Of course. I remember," he lied not wanting to be a total prick. "Well it was nice seeing you but," he turned and put the focus on Charlotte. "I'm here with my girl, so you have a good night."

The girl gave a disappointed smile and nodded her head as she looked back and forth between Jon and Charlotte. She quickly glanced up and met eyes with Kaner before walking away. Jon turned his attention to Charlotte-- as did the rest of the guys-- and he could tell by the look on her face she wasn't amused.

"You okay?" he asked nervously. He knew deep down she wasn't happy with that brazen attempt of that girl trying to pick him up.

Charlotte nodded her head, "Yeah. I'm fine," she answered coldly. "Nice to see one of your friends again." Her tone was icy and it gave Jon chills.

"Yeah I didn't think so," he said still holding his breath. He knew she was lying through her teeth when she tried to pretend it didn't bother her.

"I didn't even recognize her. I don't know who she is. I'm really sorry you had to see that, I'm sure it was awkward for you. I'm not stupid-- hell it was awkward for me." He pleaded with her though it wasn't necessary. "I wouldn't ever do anything to hurt you and I know now that the dumb shit I did over the years hurt you more than I ever thought it would."

"Pft," Jon and Charlotte both looked up at an inebriated Patrick. "Please," he rolled his eyes at Charlotte. "Like you have any room to be pissed." The satisfied, devious grin on his face said it all.

"Knock it off," Jon immediately spat in a threatening tone as he snapped his head up to look across the table at Kaner.

"What? She doesn't," Patrick continued to say through his drunken slurs.

"You did that, didn't you?" Jon shook his head trying to control his anger as he realized the situation.

"What? A girl comes over here and I'm to blame?"

"Answer the question," Jon demanded.

"I don't need to answer anything."

"Answer the question," Jon repeated though it was clear by Kaner's actions what the answer was. "Did you send her over here?"

"What does it matter anyway?" He answered Jon but then turned his gaze and focus on to Charlotte. "We're all sitting here as a group and everyone knows I was your first."

Charlotte's jaw dropped and she felt the tears threatening to fall from the pools that welled in her eyes.

"Dude, really?" Patrick Sharp quickly chimed in. He grew tired of sitting there watching Kane be an asshole and felt the need to come to Jon--and now Charlotte's-- defense. "You're gonna embarrass her like that Mr. Third Person?"

"What the fuck?" Kane looked at him infuriated that Sharpy would sell him out that way.

"Oh c'mon, did you ever tell Charlotte about that? About how every time we went on the road you acted like a total douchenozzle and only signed autographs for girls who flirted with you-- dumb as shit girls who fell for your 'so how does it feel to meet Patrick Kane' third person bullshit?"

Kane glared at him, angry as he'd ever been. "Shut the fuck up."

"Oh what? You pretended to be the perfect boyfriend for how many years, I think Charlotte has a right to know what you were really doing behind her back." Sharpy quickly retaliated. It was obvious he was fed up with Kaner's attitude. "Plus," Sharpy added with a raised voice. "Who the fuck talks in the third person?"

Charlotte quickly wiped away the tears streaking down her face as she quickly stood up and pushed the chair out from under her. "Excuse me," she said as she totally broke down and hastily ran away from the table.

Jon had sat there with his jaw dropped as Sharpy dug into Kaner and felt helpless as he watched Charlotte run away humiliated. "Are you happy now?" he looked at Kaner and shook his head in disgust. He quickly moved his gaze over to Sharp and gave him a quick nod to thank him for having his and Charlotte's backs as he stood up and went to run after her.

Jon ran outside and felt the cool air hit his face as he frantically looked from side to side for Charlotte. When he spotted her leaning against the wall of the building he went over to her and slowly leaned against it next to her as they both looked in front of them into the night-- not at each other. "Okay, I'm really sorry about that."

Charlotte shook her head, her jaw tightened, and inhaled deeply. "You couldn't tell me?"

"Huh?" Jon turned to look at her.

"How he acted-- why didn't you tell me?"

Jon swallowed and slowly let out air. "I don't know," he said slightly ashamed. "I didn't really know everything he did because I tried to avoid him. Plus, I didn't think if I said my opinions of his stupidity that you'd believe me. He was good at spieling shit to you. But-- he wasn't like that for a while, he'd cooled down when you guys started up for a little, for him anyway. I mean, you knew how he was going in so thought you already knew he was doing that kind of stuff."

"Was he actively cheating on me? Please don't tell me you knew and didn't tell me."

"I don't know Char," Jon answered honestly. "If I saw him go home with someone I would have told you-- because I would have had to-- because he would have been dead-- because I would have killed him. I mean it when I saw I tried to ignore him, but if there was something like that I would have killed him before he had the chance to get on the bus. I warned him when he asked you out that if he hurt you, I'd kill him. So, I guess he was good at being discreet if he did-- at least enough so that I wouldn't know."

Charlotte nodded her head. She still hadn't turned to look at him but that didn't defer Jon from spinning his back away from the cold wall to stand face to face with her. He took her hands lightly in his own and made her look back at him. "Regardless of what happened, there was no need for him to embarrass you like that."

Charlotte winced thinking back to Patrick's words-- she really didn't see him acting so childish. She looked back at Jon and took a few seconds of silence before she answered. "It's fine. That's how he wants to be, it's fine. I don't want to relive any of that-- those memories. Right now, in this moment, I hate him. But..." she sighed out and shook her head. "It's okay," she said with more finality as she leaned into Jon for comfort and security.

"Do you want to go back inside?" Jon asked tentatively already having an idea what'd she say.

Charlotte shook her head and let out a cute little vulnerable laugh. "No, I think I've been humiliated enough for one night. Can we just go home?"

"Yeah," Jon breathed out. "I'll go get our stuff, hold tight." He leaned down and kissed her and when he pulled back he rested the bridge of his nose against hers. "I love you."

Charlotte smiled into him for the first time since they'd been outside and quickly pressed her lips to his once again. "I know you do, I love you too."

Jon took a deep breath in to will himself to walk away from her and went back inside to grab her purse and their coats. When he got to the table he gave fast good-byes to everyone. "She okay?" Sharpy asked as Jon went to go back outside.

Jon paused and walked back over to Sharp, "Yeah," he nodded his head. "We're just gonna head out. There's been enough drama for one night."

"I understand," Sharp nodded his head and flickered his eyes to Kane who said unapologetically in his chair downing a beer.

Jon followed Sharp's gaze to Kaner and felt his body tense up. "This isn't over with," he said to Kane giving him a warning.

Patrick ignored him and continued to inhale his alcohol, they only tell he gave away was a slight smile as he put the neck of the bottle to his lips.

***

The next night they had a game and everyone had cooled off. Despite the tension between Jon and Patrick, Jon ultimately didn't want to continue the arguing and the resentment-- he wanted them to get past everything and get back to normal. Jon figured that Patrick just needed time to cool off and accept that Charlotte had chosen to be with him, Jon didn't expect Patrick to take it any further.

Charlotte met Jon down by the locker room and looked to him to make sure it was okay before she came to meet him. When Jon nodded his head, giving her the 'okay' that Patrick wouldn't make a scene--he'd already left-- Charlotte came in and greeted her love with a huge smile. She was still getting used to the feeling of being with Jon the way she always wanted to-- it made the butterflies in her stomach go nuts when she met him after a game and he pulled her close to him and kissed her like the sun wouldn't come up the next day.

Jon pulled back but still had his arms protectively wrapped around her waist. "Hey," he said quietly with a crooked grin. He was definitely still in the honeymoon phase with Charlotte and this was something he wasn't sure would ever fade.

"Hey," she purred back with a glimmer in her eye as she looked back at him. "Ready to go?" she asked wanting to get back to her place and in bed. They'd done it that morning but it was too long ago in her mind.

Jon felt the same way and he laughed as he read her mind. "Yeah." He gave her waist a little squeeze which made her blood rush.

Something caught Jon's eyes as he pulled his gaze off of Charlotte and put it on something behind her. "Oh fuck," Jon said under his breath.

"What?" Charlotte asked as she felt her heart jump up in her throat unsure of what had gotten Jon so frazzled.

Jon swallowed as Charlotte spun her head around.

"Forgot something," Kane said nonchalantly as he headed to his locker-- but he wasn't alone like he had been when he left.

Rose was with him, hanging on his arm.
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think of what's gone on? Kaner's reaction is kind of predictable, I'd say. But still, I really love writing Jon and Charlotte as a couple.

I just wanted to say I appreciate you reading even though Charlotte and Jon are together and have jumped that big hurdle. Thing is, they went through so much turmoil to get to that point-- and real life doesn't end when the 'happily ever after' moment happens, it actually is just beginning. These two have a lot to tell and deserve to be together for a little bit before I end it. Now, I'll end it sooner rather than later so it doesn't drag on, but I didn't think it did the story justice to just have them say 'I love you' and be done with it. So, I hope despite all that, you'll stick with me.

I'm starting to think of other story ideas for when I end this, but I'm not there yet, so...we'll see!

Please comment if you're into this-- I really appreciate your thoughts and input more than you know!