Status: Join me for this crazy ride, won't you?

Things Aren't Always What They Seem

Amazement

*** 21 ***

Jon was lounging in Charlotte's apartment in his sweatpants, spread comfortably across her couch being forced to endure hours upon hours of chick flicks. He couldn't say he minded though. These were the moments in his life he oddly found to be his happiest. The two of them had stayed in all night, ordered Chinese and laughed together over dinner and enjoyed brownies for dessert. He secretly loved watching these dumb movies which he secretly didn't think were always so dumb, but he loved making comments to Charlotte about how dumb these movies were so that she'd tease him right back. Of course they were watching a movie they'd seen before-- Charlotte had made him sit through the Sex and the City movie on more than one occasion and every time Big re-proposed to Carrie in the closet Charlotte always made a little whimper of cuteness.

"I can't believe you're making me sit through this movie again," Jon shook his head as he watched Big about to get on his knee. "This shit is so predictable." There was no contempt in his tone as he spoke, he was actually in a really good mood and he loved the look on Charlotte's face whenever something made her heart flutter. He would never admit it but he actively tried to make her feel that way whenever he had the opportunity.

Charlotte laughed and turned her head on the couch to look at him. Her hair was thrown up in a loose messy bun and she had on a tank top with yoga pants which drove Jon mad. "You're just saying that because you know what's coming."

"Char even if I hadn't seen it before I'd know what was coming," he shot right back with a grin. He was sprawled out on her couch and she was seated over his muscular legs with her back against the couch. He never was so intimate or relaxed with anyone else-- and he knew she wasn't either. He usually had to catch his mind as it ran away with dirty thoughts at least once a night. Tonight was no different.

"Shh," she hissed and emphatically waved her hands to silence him. "I like this part!"

Jon rolled his eyes and laughed out loud trying to drive her nuts. "Lame," he blurted out knowing he was pushing her buttons.

Charlotte snapped her head and grinned at him again. "Lame? Really?"

"Yes!" His one hand was rested on the back of his head while he stuck the other out in the air towards the tv. "He didn't even give her a ring."

"He gave her a nice shoe!" she emphatically tried to protest against his protest.

"That she already paid for," Jon teased going punch for punch. "At least he could have gotten a ring, homeboy has enough money for it."

"Oh really?" she nodded her head and gave him a look. "You're pretty critical-- you think you could do any better?"

"Please," he said overtly confident and swatted his hand. "I could run circles around this clown."

"I'm sure I could figure you out-- I mean in this scenario, if I'm the girl and you're the guy proposing, I'd see it coming a mile away too-- you're not as suave as you think you are Mr. Toews."

Jon looked at Charlotte and saw how red her cheeks were. "I'd blow you away," he flirted. "Give me some credit."

"I don't know," she slowly shook her head and pursed her lips toying with him.

"Char if I proposed to you, I guarantee you wouldn't see it coming."

"Well I guess we have to agree to disagree," Charlotte said as she let out a breath and quickly cleared her throat.

"Why's that? You know I'll win?" Jon raised his eyebrows and gave her a smirk.

"Well, because we'll never find out now will we?"

A look of disappointment flashed quickly across Jon's face. He had enjoyed the few minutes of pretending to be a couple with her. "I guess not," he agreed. "But can we at least agree I do better at surprising you now than he does in this chick flick?"

Charlotte tilted her head and gave a cute little grin before slowly nodding her agreement. "Yes Jon, you win on that count-- you knock my socks off. Happy?"

"Of course," Jon answered with a victorious smile. He settled his head back down into the pillow and felt himself start to doze off. He was at that point of not really being awake, but not being totally asleep when he thought he felt Charlotte very gently running her finger up and down his fingers and over the top of his hand, but when he opened his eyes he saw her grab at the remote and eject the dvd. When he felt her climb over him to stick in a different movie he decided to try and stay awake for it.

A small grin spread across his face when he realized she put in Sweet Home Alabama. He didn't mind this movie and when Reese's character got proposed to in Tiffany's five minutes into the film he thought that was a little better, but he still liked to bust Charlotte's chops.

"C'mon," he groggily moaned out.

"You have a problem with this proposal too? I think your problem is you're just too cynical."

"Am I?" he asked her with a flirtatious smile but didn't sit up-- he just met her gaze from his spot resting on her couch.

"I think so," she nodded believing that to be the reason.

"Well I mean he didn't know her well enough to pick out the right ring by himself, right? He had to let her pick it out?" He let out a playful puff of air, still wearing his beautiful crooked smile. "I'm telling you, I'd take your breath away."

"You know what Mr.Cynicism, when you propose to someone we'll see where it ranks. You've never been in love. So until then you just keep your comments to yourself."

Jon wanted to tell her how wrong she was, but instead of objecting with his words he scooted up and suddenly grabbed Charlotte at her sides. He delicately dug his fingers into her ribcage and heard her gasp a little as she looked at him with her wide blue eyes. He held her gaze for a few seconds and slowly leaned in, brushing his nose against hers, and kissed her. He pulled back just enough to feel the tip of her nose against his and with his heart pounding, and knowing hers was too, he gave her a sexy smirk. "Did that take your breath away?"

Charlotte's chest rose and fell quickly as she nodded her head still speechless at his surprising actions. Jon pulled his best friend on top of his lap so she was straddling him, her knees pressed hard into the couch and ran his hand up her shirt. He had to actively remind himself that she was a virgin even though it made him more hot and bothered. With his other hand he guided her by the nape of her neck back to him and kissed her lips again harder than before. She responded to his touches, his kiss, and moved back against him. He pulled his lips away from hers and delicately kissed down her chin and neck, made a trail with his tongue as he traced it up to her ear. She ate it all up and breathed out slowly trying to catch her composure. "Jon," she moaned out his name as he teased her with his hot breath and soft lips. "Jon," she whispered again as he closed his eyes and brought his lips slowly and sexily back to hers.

"Jon," his name falling from her lips was like music to his ears as she ran her hand up his arm and gave him a little shake. When he opened his eyes he found himself gasping quickly for air. His chest was rising and falling rather rapidly as he looked around and saw Charlotte's concerned face looking back down at him. "Are you okay?" she asked from where she had been sitting before.

"I'm okay, yeah," he barely breathed out as he realized he was lying on the couch in the same spot he'd been when Charlotte put this movie in the dvd player-- he'd fallen asleep and found himself having yet another dirty dream about his best friend. Only this time she was right there with him. He was out of it for those few seconds when he came to but felt beyond embarrassed when he realized what was going on.

"Are you sure?" she reached down and lightly rested her hand on his forehead. "You're burning up. You're sweating really bad and you're all red and out of breath. Is everything okay? Did you have a nightmare?" He thought it was cute how concerned she was but was mortified at what really had gone on in his twisted mind.

Totally awake at this point Jon rapidly shook his head and pushed himself off the couch. "I'm okay. I don't even know what happened," he lied as he made his way to the kitchen to get a glass of cold water--and was secretly thankful it was almost completely dark, that the only light was coming from the tv-- so Charlotte couldn't see the massive boner he was sporting through his sweatpants.

***Present Day***

Charlotte was in the middle of finishing up a work email in her office when her phone rang. When she glanced down at her phone she smiled for the first time in what felt like hours upon seeing Jon's name flash across her iphone.

"Hey baby," Charlotte answered quickly knowing she didn't have much time to talk.

"Hey beautiful," she heard Jon's voice through the other end and she knew he was smiling. "How is your day going?"

Charlotte let out a little groan and took in a deep breath. "You don't want to know. You're having a nice relaxing day off, keep it that way," she laughed trying to spare Jon from her hectic details.

"You wanna get dinner later?" Jon asked innocently in attempt to cheer her up.

"No," Charlotte answered with a hint of an attitude. "We have that office party here tonight. I told you about it like," she put her hand to her hand and tried to think but her brain was in a million different places. "I don't even know how long ago, at least a month," she said flustered.

"Oh right," Jon answered less than thrilled remembering what she was talking about.

"You forgot?" She widened her eyes though he couldn't see them. "You're coming though, right?"

"Yeah, I guess," he answered trying to appease her. "Sorry baby I forgot. It's not a big deal I'll be there, what's it for again?"

"It's only a huge office party my boss told me I need to impress at. We have clients coming in from New York and I have to charm the socks off them-- that's a direct quote. Whatever," Charlotte commented as she was getting more and more worked up by the second. "Don't come, it's fine."

Jon couldn't resist laughing at her frazzled state as she was basically arguing with herself. "Baby calm down," he said through his chuckle. "I'll be there. What time should I meet you there? It's at your office right?"

"Yeah, that's the only good thing about it. We don't need to go anywhere. Actually it's not so bad, it's on the roof and I think that's a good move on their part-- it's beautiful up there. You can see the entire city all lit up-- we'll definitely give the New York clients a run for their money. I think they'll be impressed."

Jon smirked on his end and nodded his head. "That's right I remember you telling me that. I should have remembered on that alone-- you're always going on about how beautiful the view is from up there."

"Well, it's no New York but I think it'll do the job. Just meet me at my office at seven. Dress nice," she directed.

"Of course, c'mon. You know I won't embarrass you. What are you wearing?"

"My blue dress that cuts right above the knee."

"The one you wore on the cruise ship that night?" Jon asked trying to picture which outfit she was referring to.

"No," she shook her head. "That's totally different-- that's a gown. This is a different shade of blue. This one's dark but it's just different, whatever, you'll see. It's kind of tight but not inappropriate for the evening. Long sleeves- it's really pretty. You'll like it I promise," she said feeling her cheeks pinch from smiling.

"You know I'm partial to you in blue. Makes your eyes stand out all the more," he said like he had so many times before.

"I know, I try to wear it as much as possible knowing how much you love it on me."

"Aren't you the best," he flirted. He loved that she wanted to make him happy, though she never had to try that hard. "I'm lucky my girl's so gorgeous."

"Please. Like you're an ugly duckling or something. Okay Jon, I gotta get some stuff wrapped up and I have a conference in like two seconds. I'll see you tonight?"

"Yes, but would you please calm down. You're gonna knock em dead. You always do. Just breathe. I can hear you hyperventilating over the phone. Relax."

Charlotte paused for the first time all day and took a deep breath. "You're right," she said as she let out the air. "It's gonna be fine. You know I get flustered-- and I hate getting flustered."

"I know," he said nodding his head. "I promise I'll take care of you tonight."

"You don't have to worry about anything other than looking hot, which you always do, and being my arm-candy for the night. And maybe holding my hand to keep my anxiety down."

"My pleasure. I'll see you later. I love you Char," he breathed out. He still loved that he got to tell her everyday how he felt about her.

"I love you too, I'll see you tonight," Charlotte said with a calmer tone as she hung up the phone and got back to doing what she needed to finish up. When she looked at her clock she popped up and ran out of her office to be in a meeting that was scheduled to start in less than five minutes. She and her co-worker were scheduled to have a video conference with a new client and she needed to take the lead. It was times like this she realized how stressful her job was. Did she like it? Yes. But would she give it up for kids down the road and not look back? Absolutely.

After her conference call was finished Charlotte went back to her office to grab her dress and makeup so that she could head to the women's lounge and get ready for the evening. Most of the office had cleared out by this point, and her conference call had lasted longer than anticipated. She knew she was running a little behind but when she had gotten herself changed into her pretty blue dress, coifed her hair and put the finishing touches on of her makeup, she realized not only was she late but Jon was too.

She went to drop her other clothes and bags back into her office and started to panic when she didn't see Jon. She figured he'd be waiting for her or would have at least called while she was getting ready. She nervously grabbed her phone and dialed, feeling her heart pound quickly in her chest as her foot tapped anxiously against the ground.

"Hey Char," she heard his voice through the other end and felt a sense of relief. She could immediately tell that he wasn't as calm as he should be and it made her freak out just a little bit more.

"Hey where are you?" she asked quickly.

"I'm sorry baby I'm on the way-- there's a bit of traffic and I'm trying." He was apologetic but it didn't change the fact that what he said was what Charlotte didn't want to hear.

"Seriously?" she asked trying not to get mad. "I needed you to be on time one night, just one."

"I'm sorry!" he repeated unsure of what else to say. "I'm working on it, I'll be there soon. It's only quarter after seven. I'll be there in like maybe ten minutes, hopefully."

"I can't wait around and be a half hour late Jon," she borderline whined as she leaned into the front of her desk. "And what if it takes you longer?" she was clearly stressed and this was adding to her anxiety. She knew she was being a little harsh but she was nervous in her own right. This was a huge night for her.

"Just go ahead and mingle. I'll meet you there, I promise. I'm sorry Char, I didn't mean to let you down," he said sincerely and it melted Charlotte's heart.

She took a few seconds to absorb his words before answering him. "It's okay," she sighed out and let her shoulders drop. "I'm sorry I'm going so nuts. I just needed you to hold my hand and give it a squeeze-- you know this is big deal for me. I'm wherever you need me, whenever you need me to be. I just needed you more tonight, it sucks you're not here. Whatever, it's fine. I'll see you when you get here, just drive safe, okay?"

"I'm sorry," Jon breathed out again knowing he'd let her down. "You'll be fine, I'll make it up to you. I'll figure out a way to make this right. I promise."

"Okay," Charlotte tried to answer as normal as possible but she knew deep down Jon wasn't a fool-- he could tell she was disappointed. She knew his offer was supposed to make her feel better but it wasn't cutting it just yet. She took a deep breath and let it out as she hung up the phone and looked at her reflection in her office to make sure she looked good before convincing herself to go up and meet the new clients she needed to charm.

Her heart raced the entire elevator ride up to the roof as her nerves were getting the best of her. She gave herself one more pep talk as she pushed the big heavy door open that led outside to the roof and walked through it cautiously. She didn't see anyone from her office but her jaw dropped when she noticed streams of little lights above her head. When she dropped her gaze she saw the rose petals she was walking over and the path made of candles she was following.

As Charlotte slowly walked further onto the roof following the candlelit path she felt her heart in her throat. When she looked up and saw Jon standing by small round candlelit table with a white linen cloth and two chairs she couldn't wrap her mind around what she was seeing.

"Jon..." she wrinkled her brow and couldn't mask her smile. She had no idea what was going on she just knew she was happy to see him. "What's going on? I thought you were..."

"Charlotte," Jon said her name softly as he took a step towards her. She couldn't help noticing how good he looked in his suit and tie as she felt her heart flutter as he continued to speak. "I told you this when I surprised you on the cruise ship-- I've been in love with you, irrevocably in love with you, since I was sixteen years old. You make me feel like I can do anything and when I look at you I know there is no where else I'd rather be. I'd do anything for you, I'd give anything for you. You've given me so much in the over eight years I've known you and I've never been happier than since we've been together. You're my best friend," Jon took a deep breath and dropped down to his knee. "Will you marry me?" He asked as he dug into his pocket and pulled out the box that held a piece of his heart inside.

Charlotte's mouth dropped when she saw the box in his hands and she froze when he opened it, presenting the beautiful diamond ring he'd picked out for her. She looked from the ring to him and slowly nodded her head, "Yes, of course. Of course I'll marry you," she squealed still trying to catch her breath. Jon stood up and took the ring out of the box and slowly slid it onto her finger. She looked down at her hand and smiled in disbelief before looking at Jon who leaned in to kiss her the second their eyes met. He wrapped his arms around her and felt her press tight against him. She had tears glistening in her eyes and he could feel her trembling in his arms.

"How...how did you do this? How did you pull this off?" she asked as she pulled back and looked at him bewildered.

Jon flashed a crooked smile and rubbed his thumbs in circles around her lower back as he held her to him. "It wasn't the easiest," he admitted with a laugh. "I had a lot of help. I didn't know if your boss would help me out, to be honest with you, but when I talked to him he seemed really happy to. With everything you've gone through I think everyone was thrilled to just see you alive and you and back at work that they were happy to be a part of it."

"So this whole thing, this elaborate client-party scheme was your doing-- it never existed?"

"It was my plan," he nodded his confession. "Like I said, I had help but I thought it was a really good diversion. You had no idea, right?"

Charlotte quickly shook her head. "No, I had no clue. You got me." She wasn't angry or disappointed by any means. She was crazy about the guy standing in front of her and overwhelmed that he'd asked her to be his wife.

"Told you a long time ago I'd take your breath away and I think I did a good job," Jon said as he flirtatiously raised his brow at her and gave her another quick kiss. "I would have asked you any time over the last eight years. I wish I already had."

Charlotte leaned in a pressed her lips hard against his. "You always did take my breath away, but this takes the cake. I love you," she breathed out. "I love you so much," she repeated as she nuzzled her nose against his. She wanted to leap into his arms and get lost in him but she knew she had to wait-- so she opted for pressing her body as tightly as she could into his. She felt his lips curl up into a genuine smile at her words as she was still trying to slow down her heartbeat. "So what's next on your agenda?"

"Well I was hoping you'd finally accept my invitation to dinner tonight..." Jon pulled back and stuck his arm out, putting the romantically set table for two on display. "Since I already took care of it already and all."

"I don't know how you do this," she said in disbelief, her mind still wrapping around the fact that she was now engaged to the love of her life. "How do you pull these elaborate plans off? Who does this? I mean it's like a movie."

Jon gave her a cocky smile, his arm still snaked around her waist even though they were no longer holding each other. "I think I love you enough to want to do these things. I think that I'm so crazy about you that it made me wanna do better than those crappy chick flicks you've made me watch over the years."

Charlotte leaned into him and rested her head securely on his shoulder. "I don't deserve you." She didn't want to go a second without feeling him against her in some capacity.

"That's insane. You've been out of my league from day one," he rebutted. "Is this everything you hoped it would be? You're happy right?"

"Of course." She couldn't believe he'd ask her that and her eyes widened at his question. "Jon this is all so amazing, I'm the luckiest girl in the world. You're so wonderful, and you know me so well you couldn't have planned a proposal any better than this. Nothing could top this."

Jon was happy and flattered by Charlotte's response and he led her to her seat so that dinner could be served. He gave her a kiss as he pulled her chair out for her and when he seated himself across from her he let out a deep breath. "I thought you were gonna figure it out," he confessed with a laugh. "I was so worried something would go wrong."

"No you don't have to worry about that. I had no clue, really. And what could go wrong?" she asked as she cocked her head. "You're so particular about things I know you planned this out extensively."

"I don't know, I was afraid maybe I'd lose the ring. Or you'd get up here too soon-- or you would have seen me. Or someone would let it slip," he went on down his list of potential buzzkills. "Or the worst-- that you'd say no."

"I've fantasized about you asking me to marry you since I was in high school," she said softly and sincerely. "Saying no is crazy to think-- I love you Jon. I always have." She took a deep breath and looked away from him as she prepared herself to say what she was about to say. "I'm going to tell you something that will make me sound terrible. So don't judge me, okay?"

Jon didn't know what kind of confession Charlotte had for him, but he nodded his head nonetheless as he felt his curiosity getting the best of him.

"I know you didn't take it well when Pat proposed to me and I wore his ring." Charlotte took a deep breath and looked down before looking back up at him. Being reminded of how he felt at that time in his life was like taking a bullet. "When he asked me to marry him and got down on his knee-- for a split second, the split second I said yes, I saw your face. I pictured you and I felt terrible about it. I always felt terrible about it."

Jon looked at her from across the table and felt his heart race a little faster. He couldn't have loved her more. He scooted his chair around so they were sitting side-by-side because he realized there was no reason to sit so far apart-- he wanted to hold her and touch her. He took her hand in his and wrapped his closer arm around her. She nuzzled into him as he kissed the side of her head and breathed her in. "You shouldn't feel terrible."

"I shouldn't?" She looked up and asked him as she grazed her nose into the side of his cheek.

"No. You wanna know something just as bad?"

She gave a little nod but didn't move away from him.

"I bought this ring," he held her hand up and put her new engagement sparkler on display for them both to admire. "I bought this a week after I went with Kaner to buy the ring he got for you."

Charlotte pulled back and looked at him, once again bewildered. "What?" she asked in amazement.

"When he asked me to go look at rings I begrudgingly said I would go help-- and I did. I just didn't let him buy this one. I didn't even point it out to him, but when I saw it I knew it was the one you were meant to wear. I just didn't think he was meant to give it to you."

"Jon..."

"I thought about it and I thought about it and after week I just couldn't shake it. I knew you were with him and he was days away from proposing, I think, at that point but I didn't care. Some part of me needed to get it for you in the hope that one day we'd end up together. I always knew you were the one. I hid it away and never told anyone, never showed anyone. I know that sounds crazy..." Jon didn't get to keep talking because Charlotte put her hand to his cheek and brought his face to hers. She immediately pressed her lips to his and kissed him hard as she lovingly cradled his face in her hands.

She pulled back and Jon could see the tears sparkling in her eyes again. "You're telling me you loved me enough to buy me a ring even though I was about to be engaged to your friend?" she asked once again in disbelief at how much he really did always love her-- all that time she loved him just the same.

Jon didn't say anything as he looked back at her but he swallowed as he slowly nodded his confirmation.

"That is the most beautiful thing anyone has ever said to me. Just take me home," she breathed out before giving him a quick kiss on the lips. "Just take me home and make love to me."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm a little nervous you won't like this chapter-- I hope it was good enough.
Thanks for reading and commenting...I know since they got together I haven't been getting as many comments, so I hope you're still reading.

It's not over yet, but we're getting closer.