Status: Join me for this crazy ride, won't you?

Things Aren't Always What They Seem

Everything

It'd been seven years since Charlotte and Jon had tied the knot. Seven years since Jon got everything he ever wanted. Seven years since the last piece of the puzzle in his life had been set.

Jon was still playing for the Blackhawks-- he and Charlotte and their three kids had settled into a beautiful life together, and despite the odds that were stacked against them, he was still playing alongside Patrick, Duncan and Sharpy.

"Is Charlotte coming to the game tonight?" Kaner asked Jon as they laced up their skates and got ready for on ice warm-ups.

"Yeah," Jon responded with a nod. "Of course she's coming."

"That's good," Kaner answered genuinely happy for him. It took quite some time but they had managed to bury the hatchet completely. "She bringing the kids? I know that Violet likes it when Ella is here, and Eric and Noah too of course, but since Ella is two years younger Violet always plays the little mommy with her." Kane was of course talking about his daughter that he had with Rose, and the relationship she had with Jon and Charlotte's three children.

Charlotte had gotten pregnant a little over a year after she and Jon were married with their first child, Ella; she and Patrick and Rose's daughter played together whenever they were around each other. At first Charlotte wanted no part in her child even knowing Patrick's, but after some time she softened up to it. Though he and Rose weren't able to make a relationship work, she saw how committed he was to their daughter, and she saw how much he changed as a result of parenthood. He was disappointed he couldn't make it work with Rose for the sake of Violet, but he knew they weren't right for each other-- they never had been. Rose didn't like bringing Violet to the games herself for obvious reasons, but Patrick's family and very close friends would bring her-- and occasionally Charlotte would bring her along with her little clan. Charlotte wasn't close with Patrick by any means, but she had forgiven him for everything he'd put her and Jon through.

"Yeah," Jon answered getting back to Patrick's statement. "Who's V coming with tonight?"

"Actually my parents are in town so she's with them."

"Ah, some good ole grandparent time huh? You guys doing anything special afterwards?"

"Well," Patrick swallowed and tilted his head revealing his slight nerves. "I guess I'm gonna have them meet Kristina." Patrick had a new girlfriend, though she couldn't really be considered new. They'd been seeing each other about a year and he was happy with her. He'd settled down from the playboy lifestyle he used to lead, but it was an admitted challenge for him to stay faithful. They were getting serious though, and she had a lovely relationship with Violet, so he felt it was time to introduce her to his parents.

"That's awesome Kaner, good luck with that. I'm sure it'll go well. Don't sweat it."

"Well I have embarrassed them on many counts in the past, so hopefully now that I'm a little older I can make amends for that."

"Hey, you might have made your share of mistakes, but you love your kid and they're crazy about her. So no matter what, you'll always have done one thing right."

Patrick gave him a smirk and coupled it with a little nod, "Thanks man. You know, I know it's been closer to the better portion of a decade, but as much as I resented it in the beginning, it still warms my heart to see the way you and Char still look at each other. I'm really happy for you guys-- and the kids are gorgeous. Luckily they got a good part of her gene pool," he said with a laugh.

"Yeah," Jon answered and laughed right back. "She's perfect, and she's given me everything important in my life man. I have three perfect little kids-- who would have ever thought that?" he still got a sparkle in his eye when he thought about, or talked about Charlotte. Things had changed in their lives as they evolved, they were busy raising three beautiful little ones, but the one thing that never changed was their commitment to each other. Though Jon had seen plenty of guys marry and divorce due to infidelity, it was never even a temptation in his marriage. He loved Charlotte too much to give in to the crippling action of being with one meaningless person for one meaningless night. If he needed self-validation all he had to do was talk to the girl who he'd been in love with since he was sixteen; if he needed a night of hot sex, all he needed to do was get her naked.

"Well, I could have told you it'd end up that way, way back when I first met you guys. It's really, well, it's pretty amazing to see how committed you are to one another-- and I mean really committed. There aren't many guys I can say are totally, completely faithful to their wives-- you and Sharpy take the cake on that one. I'm happy for you. So, any plans after the game or..."

"Actually, I'm taking Charlotte out. Date night without the kids."

"Oh nice, anything important?"

"Ha," Jon gave a little laugh. "Think about that one."

***

After the game was over Charlotte made her way down with the kids to see Jon. Even after seven years of marriage and three children, they still snuck glances at each other during games. When Jon saw her waiting for him his eyes lit up. The kids always ran to see him and of course he scooped them up in his arms. He was bombarded with love by their five year old, three year old, and one year old rugrats, but as soon as he greeted them he always slipped his arms around Charlotte's tiny waist and gave her a kiss. "I love you," he whispered against her lips.

"I love you," she said back before she had to put all her focus back on the kids so that they didn't get into anything they shouldn't. Their youngest had just begun to walk and needed eyes on him at all hours of the day. By this time in the evening they were pretty tired so when Charlotte brought all three she usually had to duck out quickly to get them in bed before one of them had a mega meltdown. "I gotta go baby," she said as she gave his hand a squeeze. "They're so tired, I don't know what will happen if we stay out much later. It's past their bedtime."

"I know," he nodded knowingly. "I just love it when you all come. I like seeing you and the kids here to support me. Get them in bed and be ready when I get home. We're going out," he said flirtatiously as he raised his eyebrows with his hand still lightly on her hip.

"I know," she smiled back at him. "I will be. I promise." She leaned in and gave him a quick kiss. I'll see you in a bit." Charlotte turned her attention to the three little loves of her life at her sides, "Give daddy kisses, it's time to go home and go to bed!"

The kids bombarded Jon once again and he kissed each of them before Charlotte corralled them to get them home. "Be careful baby," Jon yelled as she walked away.

***

"Ready?" Jon asked when he walked in the door. He was already dressed and looking fine in his suit from leaving the arena. He couldn't wait to get Charlotte and take her out on their date. When she walked into the front room of their house and he saw how beautiful she looked he couldn't help the smile that curled up at the sight of her.

"You tell me," she said flirtatiously as she showed off her outfit for him. She was dressed in a deep blue dress with pumps and it showed off all her best assets.

"I think you look beautiful baby," he cooed as he walked to her and slipped his arms around her waist leaning down and pressing his lips against hers. "Kids in bed? Your parents are here?"

"Yup," she said with a nod. "We're all set."

"Good."

Jon had taken Charlotte to the lovely little restaurant he first had taken her to when she first moved to Chicago. It was the first place she ate at when she got to the city. It was the place he got take out from the night she first came home from the hospital all those years ago.

"So," Charlotte asked as she placed her glass of water back down on the table after the waitress had taken their orders. "I know you. I know you have an agenda, so please share."

"Well," Jon said with his crooked smile that still made Charlotte's heart skip a beat. "I don't know if you realized, but tonight is eight years since the worst night of my life- the night you were in the accident. I still have nightmares about that phone call you know. The thing is, that night was the lowest night of my life, but in some way it led to me having more than I ever thought I would have, or that I deserved. Now that I can see where all that was leading me, leading us, it makes me want to appreciate it more."

Charlotte couldn't contain the grin that was spreading across her face. "You're such a sap."

"And you wouldn't want it any other way," Jon shot back.

"No, I wouldn't," she answered more serious this time. "I wouldn't change a thing that happened to me-- even that night, because like you said, it led to our life now and everything we have. I couldn't dream it up any better."

"Charlotte," he breathed her name out. "You're everything, you're just everything to me."

"I know baby," she reached across the table and rested her hand on his cheek. "I love you more than you could possibly know. I always have."

"How did I get so lucky?" he asked as he looked at her bewildered. "You're so much more than I ever deserved."

"How could you say that?" she asked amazed at his words. "If there are any two people in this world made for each other, it's us. Look at this amazing, beautiful, chaotic life we've built together. I couldn't imagine my life without you."

"I think part of the reason we've stayed so happy is because we both acknowledge everything good we have in life is because of each other," Jon commented. "And I think that's something to celebrate."

"Yeah?" Charlotte looked at him bashfully and he took her hand in his. "I think I can add to that."

"Oh yeah? You can?"

"I think so," she said with a grin as she took another sip of water.

"Well let's hear it."

"Well," Charlotte smirked and felt her cheeks turn slightly pink as she stared back into his eyes. "I'm pregnant."

Jon's eyes widened at her confession and he looked at her with disbelief. She simply nodded her head to confirm what he was wordlessly asking and when he had absorbed it he couldn't hide his excitement. "Really!?"

Charlotte quickly nodded. "Really."

"You're serious?"

"Yes!" she squealed before Jon kicked the chair out from under him and made the stride over to her, picking her up and spinning her around. He didn't care for a second who saw. "We're having another baby?" he asked with the tip of his nose pressed to hers.

"Yeah," she nodded and pressed her lips to his. "Little Toews number four is on the way."

"When did you find out?"

"I took the test when I got home from the game tonight, before you came and picked me up. Are you happy?"

"Oh my God yes," Jon sighed out before he kissed her again. "I don't know what I'd be living for if it weren't for you and the kids. This is incredible news."

"Well, you know one of the perks of my pregnancies, right?"

"What's that baby?"

"Hmmm, well, I'm usually extra horny...so I was hoping you'd take me home and take advantage of that," she said with a wink and she pressed up harder against him.

"That I have no problem with." She had quite a sexual appetite when she wasn't pregnant, that when she was, it went from once a day to two or three depending on their schedules-- and Jon had no qualms about it. He loved their sex life. "Let's eat and stop for brownies then head home where I can get you out of that dress so we can make love."

And that's exactly what they did. After they ate dinner they held hands as they walked to their bakery and got brownies like they always had since they first started a life together in Chicago all those years ago. When they got home Jon slipped his wife out of her dress and made love to her, much like he had almost every night for the past seven years, and like he planned on doing every night for the rest of their lives.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sad this is over, really. I loved writing this story so much I didn't want it to end! I hope you liked going on this journey with me just as much as I loved writing it! Thank you so much to everyone who commented and read and stuck with it. Please leave a final comment and let me know what you think.

Here's the link to my new story. I picked James Neal because he seems to be pretty popular and with what I have in mind, Sharpy doesn't fit the bill (in a good way!) I hope you read this one! Let me know!
http://www.mibba.com/Stories/Read/524137/A-Lifelong-Promise/