Status: Join me for this crazy ride, won't you?

Things Aren't Always What They Seem

Conservative

*** 17 ***

With Jon having a night to himself and Charlotte agreeing to hang out with him, they decided to go get ice cream. It wasn't a brutally chilly night and ice cream was something Charlotte was craving so Jon couldn't help but agree to that. They went inside to order then sat in the car to eat their specific orders with music playing softly as background noise and the heat on low.

"What?" Charlotte laughed as she looked at Jon who was shaking his head. "None of the other guys want ice cream ever?" She knew it was a girly thing to want to do but when he said he had the night off he promised it'd be her choice.

"No, Char. I can't say that getting ice cream is first on their list of things to do when we hang out."

"Oh I bet," she shot right back. "I'm sure it goes women first, then alcohol if you can get it, and aside from hockey," she pretended to be in deep thought, "probably video games."

"Yeah, that's about right," he laughed as he took a bite from his spoon. They'd known each other for about a year and she had easily become the person he wanted to spend all his time with. They'd never crossed the lines of their friendship and he was okay with that. He just loved being with her. "If you looked through their things you'd find condoms, beer-- stock piles for being underage and all-- and games. So if you ever need any of those, I'm your guy."

Charlotte laughed uneasily and shook her head as she stared down into her ice cream. "Thanks, but I'm good." She blushed and took a bite of it.

"Beer and video games not your thing, huh?" He was teasing her knowing full well that those weren't on her list of favorite things.

"Uh, yeah. All of it you'd never find in my drawers."

He loved when she blushed, it was so easy to get her do, so he pressed on with his teasing. "Oh come on Charlotte I'm sure you have your own drawer of goodies. Or no," he changed his tune. "Knowing you, you'd make the guy supply all that."

"I've never had a need, so...no. You're wrong."

Jon cocked his head and swallowed suddenly nervous. "Charlotte..."

"Yeah?"

"Are you telling me you've never had sex before?"

"Yes," she swallowed and focused on her ice cream. She wasn't sure how he'd react to that revelation.

"You're a virgin?" He asked more bluntly.

"I am. I'm a virgin," she confessed.

"How is this the first I'm finding out about it?" he was genuinely surprised. In their year-plus friendship he couldn't believe it never came up. He found her to be incredibly beautiful and fun and just so nice...he couldn't imagine a guy not wanting to be with her.

"It's never come up before. If you would have asked me I would have told you. I'm waiting for the right guy," she said with a shrug. "I'm not going to do it with just anyone. I want my first time to be with someone I love...someone who loves me. I'd like to think that the first person I'm with is the only person I'm ever with." She was slightly embarrassed telling this to her friend, someone she knew had probably been having sex for some time at this point.

Jon's jaw hung open as he tried to find the words to say. After a few moments his lips finally curled up into a smile and he looked at her adoringly. "That's adorable."

"You're mocking me, really?" She asked somewhat hurt. She was being completely open and vulnerable with him, so the thought of him laughing at her confession stung.

"No!" he quickly corrected her. "Not at all. That's really great Charlotte. I respect that. Good for you."

She smiled at him, "Thank you. Not like I would change my mind whether you respected it or not," she teased.

"I know. I had no idea though. Sorry if I've been too vulgar over the course of our friendship."

"Please," she shot him a look. "I'm a big girl. Don't make me regret telling you! This better not change the way you look at me or the way you act around me."

"Of course not," he shook his head to reinforce his answer but he could never tell her the way his heart was pounding when she told him her little secret. He could never tell her how differently he did look at her, not that it was a bad way.

*** 22 ***

"I've gotta ask," Jon sat next to Charlotte on the couch as they watched tv. It had been a few weeks since she started seeing Patrick and Jon was surprised it had gone on for as long as it had.

"What?" Charlotte glanced at him side-eye. Whenever he had a tone of voice like he did now it never was good.

"Have you had a talk with Patrick yet?"

"About what?"

"C'mon Char. You know. Have you told him that you're a virgin." He was hoping that reminding her to have that talk with Patrick would motivate her to tell him, and by doing so it would scare Pat off. Jon felt terrible for thinking that, but he would rather Pat run off now instead of hurting her down the road. He knew if Charlotte told Pat her views on sex that her conservative nature would have him running for the hills. He knew Pat. This was a guy Jon saw go home with countless women over the years, a guy who-- on occasion-- he watched go home with two women at the same time.

Charlotte smiled a devious little grin. "I already told him."

Jon's eyes popped open and he felt his stomach flip. "What? You told him? What happened? Why didn't I know about this?"

"Woah there boy," she laughed. "I told him maybe a week ago, I don't know. I was just honest with him and told him if he didn't like it or couldn't deal with it or whatever that he shouldn't call me again and I'd be okay with that..." she started to gush, it was written all over her face. "He just kissed me and said that if he had to wait that it would be totally worth it. I'm sure he didn't love it but he still wants to be with me, he's willing to be patient." She came back down from the clouds and looked at Jon playfully. "And you didn't know because I didn't want you to freak out. So you hadn't asked me and I wasn't sure you would...I decided I wouldn't make a big thing of it unless you asked me."

Jon swallowed hard and forced a happy smile. "He said that?" Jon was stunned. Completely and utterly stunned. The thing was...he didn't trust it. He knew his friend and this wasn't something he would tolerate. Jon knew that their demise was inevitable. Patrick would crash and burn, do something stupid or just plain not be able to handle it and dump her. "You trust him?" Jon looked to Charlotte.

"I do," she said after a few moments. The scary thing to Jon was that she actually meant it.

"I don't want him to hurt you Charlotte. I'll kill him." He was eerily serious and it made Charlotte's heart beat a little faster.

"He won't," she defended him. "I don't think he's the guy you think he is."

Jon bit his tongue and took a deep breath. "I don't think he's the guy you think he is."

"Stop it," Charlotte said more serious. "He's good to me Jon, and he shows me every day that he wants to be with me. I've never had to question how he feels about me. Patrick's your friend! You always say such crap about him and he has never once said one bad thing about you! This isn't your place. I never once gave you a hard time when you made your decisions to go home with countless girls over the years. This is my choice. Don't you say a word to him or I swear.."

"I won't," he interrupted. "I give you my word. I won't say anything to him if that's what you want." He didn't like it and he didn't trust it. He knew Pat better than Charlotte and this was making him extremely uncomfortable. He feared Pat was setting Charlotte up to be hurt and he couldn't bear that. She meant business though, and Jon could see it. He had to keep his mouth shut-- and he would because he promised-- until Pat gave him a reason not to.

***Six months later***

Things between Patrick and Charlotte had gotten way more serious than Jon ever imagined they would. He was beginning to find it increasingly difficult to be around them. Being around them in the bar after games was...painful, almost. He had to drink twice as much just to be able to stomach watching them fawn all over each other. His best friend had turned into a lovesick puppy and it was just too much.

After two days of not talking to Charlotte he just missed his friend. He'd known her six years and he felt like he'd lost her to a guy she had been dating for six months. He wanted to go take her out for a late lunch or hang out watching a game or something, hoping that Patrick could spare some time. He planned on filling Pat in on his plan and running it by him when he walked in the arena. When Pat finally walked in, Jon did a double take and felt his heart drop to his balls. Pat looked different. He was glowing and smiling like a jackass. He strutted over to his locker and Jon couldn't restrain himself.

"Kane," he said his name with authority as he marched over to him.

"What's up man?" Pat turned around with a sly smirk.

"You tell me." Jon stood close to him and looked at him with pure anger, his arms cross across his chest.

"I don't know what you mean," Pat responded knowing exactly what Jon was furious over.

"You know sure as fuck what I'm talking about. Look at you. You're fucking strutting over here smiling like a dirtbag. I can't believe you'd take advantage of her that way..." Jon was livid. This was Charlotte Pat was doing this to. He didn't care when he screwed over other girls but Charlotte was crossing the line. Jon didn't trust him with her for a second.

"Woah," Pat cut him off annoyed. "This isn't your business Tazer. This is mine and Charlotte's business and it does. not. include you." Pat enunciated his sentence and gave Jon a small yet forceful shove to his chest which caused Jon to push him back.

"Don't touch me," Jon said through gritted teeth. "This is my business. She's my best friend and you--"

"I what?" Pat stepped closer to him not backing down. "I love her. We've been together over six months and I didn't push her. Ask her...and I'm sure you will. Or are you just pissed it wasn't you?" Pat looked at him with a sick, victorious expression in his eyes.

Jon froze and swallowed hard. He clenched his fists at his sides and shook his head. "You're a fucking asshole. She's my best friend. I've known her for six years. You hurt her and I'll murder your ass. This is big for her. I know it isn't for you, but for her it means everything."

"I know that." Pat shot back. "It means way more to me than you think. You need to back down. She's not your girl. I'm sure she wouldn't like to hear about this little episode between us." Pat liked knowing he had Jon by the balls. When it came to Charlotte, he won and there was nothing Jon could do about it.

Jon dropped his head and rubbed the back of his neck with his hand. He knew what Pat was saying was right and he didn't want to lose his best friend because he lost his cool. He looked up at Pat defeated and begrudgingly shook his head.

"Didn't think so." Pat was pissed. He didn't feel like he should need to defend himself but he shouldn't have been as surprised as he was. Jon had always been protective of Charlotte. "Look," Pat said at a more friendly level. "I know you care about her, but you're not the only guy in her life anymore. I love her, man."

Jon nodded his agreement though it was clear he wasn't happy about it. "Charlotte doesn't find out about this."

"Deal." Pat said coldly, honoring his request.

Jon didn't say another word throughout practice. He skated until he thought his lungs were going to explode, then went to the bar and drank his face off until he found someone to go home with him.

***Present Day***

"How many girls have you been with?" Rose asked as she laid tangled up in Patrick's sheets in his bed after not having seen each other in a few days.

Pat let out a guttural laugh and shook his head. "No way am I answering that question. Way more than you'd like to hear."

"I'm not a baby Pat, I can handle your number." Rose ran her fingers up his naked stomach and chest, resting her hand on his cheek. "It's not like mine's so small either," she said seductively as she kissed down his neck.

He let out a little moan and felt his cock start twitching between his legs. "Oh really?" He enjoyed the power she had over him.

"Yeah," she breathed into his ear turning him on more. He didn't move or grab at her naked body despite the urge to do so. He wanted her to tease him until he couldn't take it anymore.

"What's your number then?" he breathed out.

"I'm not going to tell you until you tell me," she said before nibbling down his neck.

"Honestly I don't know the exact number. It's more than it should probably be. We'll leave it at that." He turned on his side and rested his arm on her naked lower back, grabbing her ass cheek in his hand and grinding her against him.

"Who's isn't?" Rose asked nonchalantly and took his cock in her hand provoking his shaft to get hard.

Pat swallowed and pulled back a little bit. "Charlotte..." he looked her in the eyes with the slightest bit of conviction. "I'm the only guy she's ever been with." He rolled back onto his back and looked up at the ceiling with his arm bent under his head.

"Seriously?" Rose asked annoyed. "She's only been with one person?"

"Yeah," he sighed. "And look how I repay her." He rubbed his face with his free hand.

Rose cackled clearly mocking Charlotte. "I guess she isn't that good in bed then."

"Stop." Pat put up a pathetic fight for his fiancee. "Jon can't be much better then if we're comparing apples to apples here."

Rose sat up and straddled Patrick, rubbing her moist folds against his naked package. His eyes rolled back in his head as his waist moved back against her. "He's not so bad. I just feel like he isn't really there sometimes. He's too serious."

"Too serious? In bed?" Pat couldn't hide the smirk and his faux-surprise. "He's always serious. Let me ask you a question Rose, my dear."

Rose leaned down and brushed her breasts against his moaning. "Yeah?"

"Why are you with him if you're so unhappy?"

Rose sat back up and rested her hands on his chest. "I'm not unhappy. I like him, I like being with him. Why are you with Charlotte?"

Pat pursed his lips and took a breath. "She's an incredible girl," he sighed out actually meaning it.

"Why are you with me?" Rose asked a little more serious.

Pat felt himself swallow and his heart beat faster. "You're impossible not to be with. You remind me of my life before Charlotte came along and the sex..." a slick smile spread across his face. "Well, the sex is amazing."

Rose rolled her eyes and leaned back down to kiss him on the lips. "I like where I'm at right now." She could feel Pats lip curl up into a smile. "So do I." With his erection steadily growing between her legs she grabbed his shaft and positioned it up, sitting down slowly on top of him and taking all of him inside her. Pat moaned out in delight as he slid into her and grabbed onto the top of her thighs as she rode him hard and fast.

*****

"Jon can you do me a favor?" Charlotte yelled from her kitchen as she stood over the sink washing the pan she used to make them late night pancakes. Jon was in the bathroom which wasn't a far walk to her bedroom. He had stopped over her place on the way home like he normally did on nights that it wasn't too late.

"What's up? I'm kind of busy," he yelled back as he put the water on to wash his hands.

"Can you go in my room and get my phone charger? My battery is going to die and I'd rather it didn't."

"Sure," he opened the door, stepped out of the bathroom and turned for her bedroom. "Char where is it?"

"It should be next to my bed by the side table. It might be on the floor-- I'm not sure but you'll find it in that vicinity."

Jon didn't say anything as he walked into her room and quickly looked around. He walked to the side of the bed where her little bedside table was and didn't see the cord resting across the top. He looked down and saw part of it on the floor going under her bed so he bent down and as he grabbed it, he saw something lacy and black sticking out from under the bed on top of part of the cord.

He knew it wasn't panties so he didn't feel like a creeping bastard picking it up. When he picked it up in his hand he wished he hadn't. He held it out in front of him trying to ease his curiosity and see what it was, feeling his cock twitch ever so slightly as he found himself looking at a sexy little outfit that Charlotte clearly had forgotten to put away. He closed his eyes for a split second and pictured her in it, how her legs and ass would look sticking out the bottom. He couldn't help it, he was a guy and the outfit was hot, and she...well, she was gorgeous. He suddenly found himself cringing when he realized that Patrick had been the beneficiary of this outfit.

"Oh my God!" he heard Charlotte scream totally mortified from behind him. "What are you doing?"

Jon instinctively dropped the outfit, grabbed the cord and turned around with his hands up in a surrendering position. His cheeks were so red and he was choking over his words. "I- I'm-it...I-"

Charlotte ran over and grabbed the cord from his hand, standing in front of him. "I asked you to grab my phone charger not find my lingerie under the bed!"

"I...Char...It wasn't....I didn't mean to find it...I swear." He felt like a blubbering idiot.

She looked up at him and he looked down at her and after a few seconds all either of them could do was burst out into a complete fit of laughter.

"Are you gonna make it?" She looked at him, her eyes tearing from laughing so hard. "You were so nervous I thought you were literally going to choke over your words!" She reached up and rested her hand on his shoulder.

Jon looked down into her eyes before pulling her into a hug, clearing the awkward air. He pulled back and grabbed his stomach, "My abs literally hurt from laughing so hard. I didn't know what to do I felt like such a dick but I didn't know what it was when I grabbed it, then you walk in and all I can think is 'shit, she's going to think I went looking for this.'"

"Well that's what you get for snooping!" She grabbed him by the wrist completely unfazed and began to lead him out the room.

"Next time you ask me to grab something, make sure your personal items are put away first!" He shook his wrist away from Charlotte's hand and slid it around her waist as they walked back into the living room. Jon would never tell her how much it killed him to think of her wearing something like that for Patrick; that Pat's eyes were the only pair of eyes that got to see that side of her. But then again, why would he? It didn't matter to him. He had a girlfriend...and he didn't think of Charlotte that way. He couldn't, not even for a second, or he'd be in big trouble.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay...I'm not going to lie. I'm a little nervous how this chapter turned out. I did a lot of different flashbacks because I didn't feel like dragging out three different flashbacks about the same thing. Did that surprise you? What do you think? What do you think about all the reactions to it? Jon and Charlotte are at a good platonic place now, right? Pat and Rose...well, they at least have their priorities set..?

Next ch. you'll find out how Jon met/started to date Rose.

Hope you're still with me and that you like it! Please comment! I love your comments, you guys have been awesome! I hope this didn't disappoint.
Thank you! :)

PS. Yay- the lockout is over!