Status: Join me for this crazy ride, won't you?

Things Aren't Always What They Seem

Valentine

***About a year ago***

Patrick and Charlotte had been dating for about a year, give or take. Jon had been going out of his mind watching the two of them together and was nearing a point of insanity. He was happy that his friend was happy, but who she chose to be happy with didn't sit well with him. Before all this, Pat was a close friend...now he was flirting with frenemy territory.

It was Patrick and Charlotte's first real Valentine's Day together and as excited as she was about it, Jon was that much more annoyed. He felt like an asshole but he was secretly happy they had a game in New Jersey for the actual holiday so that Patrick couldn't physically spend it with Charlotte.

When Jon's phone rang he knew it was Charlotte. He had been in his hotel room for about an hour and would have to leave shortly to go to the arena with the rest of the team. He smiled as he picked up the phone, "Hello?"

"Hey Jon!" he loved hearing her excited voice on the other end.

"Hey Char, what's up?"

"I just wanted to let you know I got your flowers. Thank you, they're so beautiful!" Jon smiled to himself. Since they were kids he sent her flowers every Valentine's Day. He wanted her to feel special whether she was dating someone or not. Plus, regardless, she was his girl.

"No need to thank me, you should know they're coming at this point after all these years."

Charlotte let out a little laugh. "I know. But you know I couldn't go without thanking you. Plus I wasn't sure you'd send them this year since I'm dating Patrick and all." There was the dagger Jon had been waiting for.

"Doesn't matter who you're dating, you're still my best friend Char. Did he, uh, did Pat send you anything or what?" Jon asked as he swallowed hard.

"Yeah he sent me like three flower arrangements," she said with a giggle. He could tell she was blushing on the other end. Jon couldn't help rolling his eyes thinking about his buddy purposely trying to outdo him. "But we're not celebrating until Sunday when you guys get back."

"Oh that's great," Jon said with fake enthusiasm. "He better be treating you right."

"Oh relax," she teased. "You know he is."

"I know," he sighed out.

"Hey! Do you remember that Valentine's Day that we spent together?"

"Which one?" he asked with a laugh. "We've spent like every one together."

"That one we went on a boat ride around the city at night and everything was all lit up and beautiful..." she trailed off. "I still think that ranks up there as the best Valentine's I've ever had-- don't tell Patrick."

Jon thought back to that night and let his head fall back. If he were ever going to make a move, that would have been the night. She looked incredible and it was the perfect, romantic setting...but he couldn't. He didn't want to risk losing her. He remembered how they danced close and he brought her flowers, but he couldn't close the deal. Afterwards he thought it was just the setting that made him feel that way and the moonlight glowing on her soft skin, but he knew deep down it was more than that.

"Yeah," he said and swallowed yet again. "I remember that night. That was awesome Char. Yeah."

"Everyone thought we were a couple." She couldn't possibly realize the toll she was taking on him right now.

"Yeah, imagine that," he said with a nervous laugh. "Regardless though it was better than that time we spent Valentine's Day watching crappy slasher films."

"Oh c'mon Jon. Don't mock. That probably ranks second on my list!"

"Oh really?" he replied cynically. She always made him smile whether she planned on it or not.

"Really!" she insisted. "That was fun! You didn't think so?"

"I did, of course I did. But that isn't exactly what I would think a girl's favorite thing would be to do," he teased her.

"Eh, so what. I was with my best friend and it was fun. And we had awesome take out, and we laughed like, the entire night..."

He smiled and took a deep breath listening to her reminisce. "That was good take out...and you're right it was pretty fun...but now you're abandoning me for Kane."

"Oh don't do that," Charlotte said with a little gasp. "That's not true."

"I don't know Char," he said playfully. "I'm going to have to spend it alone now that you're dating my buddy."

"Well to be fair, I'm not technically spending it with him since you guys aren't here."

"Looks like I'm going to have to find my own things to do on Sunday though while you're all loved up."

"You could join us if you wanted to."

"Oh yeah that sounds fun," he let out a guttural laugh. "I'll pass, plus I don't think Kane would want me there cock-blocking him all night."

"Stop it!" Charlotte was genuinely amused on her end. "Fine. I'll make it up to you. We'll go out and do our own thing during the week. Just us."

"Promise?"

"Of course I do."

***

When Sunday rolled around and the guys got home Jon couldn't go home and spend his night alone knowing that Patrick was heading to Charlotte's where he'd probably spend his night getting laid after the romantic gestures he'd most definitely go out of his way to do to ensure he that she put out. It put knots in his stomach to think of and despite the fact it'd been about a year Jon still hadn't accepted it any better.

Jon dropped his bags off at home and changed into a more comfortable outfit before grabbing a beer out of his fridge to try and numb his mind. He felt his leg tapping quickly as he turned and glanced at the clock. There was no way he was staying in, so he called up the other single guys and made plans to go out. At least he'd be occupied and be able to have a good time instead of staying home alone.

"Where's Charlotte? Don't you usually spend Valentine's Day or the first day you can with her?" Duncan Keith asked knowing full well the answer.

"C'mon man," Jon took a sip of his beer. "You know she's with Kane."

"And after a year you're still okay with all that?" Patrick Sharp chimed in knowingly. Jon could pretend and bury away his feelings but the other guys had their suspicions.

"What, why are you guys asking me this like you don't know she's in a serious relationship with Kane? Plus," he turned his attention to Sharp. "Aren't you married, why are you here?"

Sharp swallowed and looked down. "Wife's away for the week, her dad isn't doing so well."

"I'm sorry man." Jon put his hand on his shoulder. "She okay? Are you?"

Sharp shrugged, "I guess so. Miss her though." It was clear he didn't want to talk about it anymore and Jon couldn't blame him. He knew Sharp adored his wife and it probably wasn't easy for him.

"I bet. Hey, I'm gonna go get the next round, I'll be back in a minute." Jon looked around and took a survey on what the rest of the guys were drinking as she stood up and walked over to the bar to order.

He squeezed in the first open gap he could find, between a pretty brunette and a little wormy dude. He could tell instantly they weren't together. Jon turned his head and got a better look at the girl on his left and smiled. She was definitely attractive and he could tell by the way she was dressed that she knew it too. When she felt his eyes on her she turned her head and met his gaze. "Hi," she said with a smirk, her emerald eyes sparkling.

"Hi," he shot right back.

"Are you waiting for a drink?" she asked as she nodded to the bartender who was taking longer than should have to get to their end of the bar.

"I'm getting the next round for me and buddies over there," he nodded his head towards their direction. "I could buy yours if you'd let me."

"Sure," she smiled bigger this time. "I'm Rose."

"Jon," he said and they casually shook hands. "Nice to meet you. I gotta say, I come here, well, enough, and I've never seen you here."

"I've been here before. Clearly on the nights you aren't," she flirted back.

"Clearly." At that moment the bartender asked for his order and he looked at Rose to tell the bartender what she wanted making it obvious he was footing her bill. After they got their drinks Jon invited her back to the table with him.

"No thanks," she politely declined. "I barely know you! I would feel awkward at an entire table of strangers."

"Oh," he replied totally understand her position. "Let me bring these over there then and I'll meet you back here. Hold on."

"That'd be great," she nodded her head.

Jon hurried over to the table and gave his friends their drinks. "See that girl." He didn't turn around to make it obvious though they knew who he was talking about. "I'm going over there." His friends smiled and nodded their heads knowing full well what he meant.

"Sorry about that," Jon said as he made his way back over to Rose. They had moved away from the bar and found a little corner that offered some privacy.

"No problem." Rose said as she put her glass to her lips. "So, what do you do?"

Jon couldn't help laughing though it could have made him look like a douche. "I play for the Blackhawks."

"Hockey player?" she raised her eyebrows impressed. "Not bad." The way she looked at him said it all.

"What about you?" he asked as he moved closer to her putting his hand on her waist.

"I'm a model. I do a lot of traveling."

Jon was now the impressed one as he nodded his head. He could totally believe this brunette, more caramel, headed creature got paid based on her appearance. "That sounds like a good deal."

"You're not kidding. I love my job."

"I would too, hell." Jon liked this girl. It was the first time in a long time that Charlotte wasn't on his mind. "You wanna come back to my place tonight?"

"Nope," Rose shook her head and grinned at him. "If I do that, you won't call me tomorrow."

Jon's lips curled up into a smile. "Fair enough. How about your number then?"

"That can be arranged."

Jon spent the rest of his night at the bar talking with Rose and getting to know her. He didn't leave until he got her number and promised to call. It was a good night, he'd finally met someone who took his mind off Charlotte for more than five minutes and he liked her. When he went back to his place alone he was in a better place...until he went into his room and glanced at the picture he had on his little table next to his bed. It was the picture he and Charlotte took together the night he won the Cup framed and perched up on his end table. He shook his head and let out a sigh as he sat on the edge of his bed. In an effort to prove to himself that he didn't care about Charlotte in anyway more than a friend, he called Rose the next day.

And the rest, as they say, was history.

***Present Day***

"So what are your big plans for the night? It's yours and Rose's first Valentine's Day together. I'd have to assume you have big plans." Charlotte had called Jon to thank him for the flowers he sent her like he did every year.

"Yeah," he let out a nervous laugh. "We're going out to dinner to a nice place."

"That sounds fun, I'm sure she'll love that. Did you send her flowers too?"

"No. I figured I'd just give them to her when we go out later. I'm sure she'd rather get them in person, you know?"

"Yeah. Pat sent me flowers before but I think he'll bring me some later too. He usually does that, anyway. Who knows."

"You guys have any plans tonight? Pat fill you in on what he plans on doing?"

"I think we're going out for dinner. I'm not really positive, actually."

"Don't you think you should find out," Jon said with a laugh. "So you know how you need to dress and all."

"Probably! I'll ask him. I know he is taking me out I just don't think he's going to tell me where to." Charlotte assured Jon that Pat was taking her out to clear up any miscommunication that he wasn't taking her anywhere.

"Oh well that's a different story then. At least you're getting to spend the actual day together unlike last year when we were on the road."

"Yeah, that's a perk! You too, well with Rose anyway. Last year you just missed it."

"Yeah," he said quietly.

"Look who's abandoning who this year," Charlotte said playfully. "Last year you were rambling on about how I replaced you with Patrick, now you've replaced me with Rose."

"Aw, c'mon Char. You know you'll always be my Valentine." It was meant to be playful, and it came across that way, but Charlotte didn't know just how serious he was.

Charlotte let out a genuine laugh, "Yeah, sure. Did you get Rose anything else? Jewelry or anything? I mean it's been a year I would think maybe you were going that route."

"Nah," Jon shook his head though Charlotte couldn't see it. "Why? Are you expecting jewelry from Kane?"

"I really hadn't thought about it. I mean, he just gave me a ring so I'm not gonna hold it against him if he doesn't! Geez Jon, you'd think you know the protocol by now! You should have asked me for help," she said teasing him.

"I don't know," he sighed. "Too much pressure for one day. You should be with someone you just have a good time with, not feel pressure to do things for."

"You feel pressured to do nice things for Rose?" Charlotte asked seriously concerned. "Jon..."

"No, no. That's not what I meant." Though Jon knew deep down it kind of was.

"Well then what? What's wrong Jon? Talk to me?" Charlotte could tell there was something he was feeling and not saying but she didn't know what it was.

"Nothing. All I meant was that it's a whole lot of hoopla for one day. What about the rest of the days of the year? You know?"

"I guess," Charlotte seemingly agreed as she shrugged on the other end though not totally satisfied with his answer. "Look, I gotta go get ready. You need to get yourself ready for your date with Rose and pick up those flowers. Call me later when you get back if you want, okay?"

"Yeah. Have a good time with Patrick tonight. I'll talk to you later." With that, Jon hung up and tossed his head back letting out a huge sigh. It was becoming increasingly difficult to ignore what was really going on in his heart. The problem was, it was too late.

Jon called to confirm his reservations before getting his suit on and stopping to pick up the roses he'd ordered for Rose. When he got to her place she opened the door and looked stunning in a black cocktail dress.

"You look nice," he commented as he got a good look at her. "These are for you," he said with a smile as he handed her the roses. "Happy Valentine's Day," he said as he pulled her in for a kiss.

"Thanks baby," she kissed him back. "Happy Valentine's Day. You'll get your gift later," she said before biting her lip. Jon knew what she meant and that was fine by him, but he couldn't get as excited for it as he should have.

Jon gave a faint smile and took her by the hand as he led her to his car. When they got to the restaurant Jon could tell how happy Rose was with his selection. "Wow, you did a nice job. It's beautiful here."

"I aim to please."

Jon had the waiter bring over champagne on ice when they got to their seats and they both looked over the menu. "So," Rose started without looking up from her menu. "Do you know what Charlotte and Patrick are doing for Valentine's?" Jon didn't know that she had a secret agenda asking that question.

"I'm not sure. When she called me before to thank me, she said something about them going out to dinner. She didn't know where," he responded not looking up from his own.

"Thank you?" Rose asked confused and she wrinkled her brow. "Thank you for what?"

"Oh," Jon shook his head and took a sip of water. "I send her flowers every Valentine's Day."

"You...you sent her flowers?" Rose didn't want to look annoyed but she definitely felt it and she knew Jon could see just how taken aback she was.

"I've sent her flowers every year for eight years, so, yeah. It's no big deal." Jon shrugged not thinking it was a big deal but kind of seeing why Rose would take it that way.

"Oh," she said as she pursed her lips together. "That's so kind of you. I'm surprised you didn't ask her out for dinner too."

"Hey," Jon looked up at her. "Don't start that. You know we're just friends-- there's nothing going on there. I'm here with you. You're my girl."

Rose rolled her eyes. "Am I? I don't know you as well as she does. You didn't send me flowers, but you sent them to her." Rose wasn't sure deep down if her paranoia had to do with Jon sending her flowers, or the fact that she couldn't have Patrick to herself because Charlotte was in the way of that; she'd gotten there first and Rose wouldn't have all of Patrick because of her.

"Stop," Jon let out an irritated sigh. "I didn't send you flowers because I thought you'd like them better coming from me in person. I wanted to spend the night with you, so here we are. Please....Rose, don't do this."

"Whatever," she breathed out before turning her attention back to the menu. "You're right."

"Are we okay?" he asked trying to get over this hiccup in their evening. He was becoming visibly annoyed.

"We're great." She looked up at him from across the table and gave him a fake smile.

After a while Rose felt slight conviction with how she'd been treating Jon considering she was sleeping with his friend behind his back. She let it go and they had a good time despite the fact that they'd gotten off to a less than desirable start. When they got back to Rose's place, she was quick to unzip her dress and get his attention in nothing but her new sexy bra and undies. It should have meant more to Jon than it did, and he would never tell that to Rose, but when she got him out of his pants and into her bed he couldn't help thinking that their relationship was doomed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well...What do you think? Rose wasn't always awful, but then again I still haven't told you how the affair started (and no, you won't find out yet, haha!) Jon doesn't seem like he's at the best place with Rose now...I wonder why.

Please comment! I love reading your thoughts and theories and opinions-- but I've told you that a gazillion times!