I'd Give Up Forever to Touch You

Prologue

“what do you want to be when you grow up?” she asked out of the blue. He chuckled. “Isn’t that a question you ask 8 year olds?” “Fine, what are you going to do after high school?” she rephrased her question. He was silenced by these words. He wish he could answer her question, but he couldn’t. There was no future after high school for him. Was he even going to make it through his senior year?

As a kid he wanted to become a policeman or a firefighter. Typical boy dreams. He simply wanted to help people, show some justice to the world. On a later age after learning to play the guitar he wanted to start a band. Tour all over the world and let people hear his message. This maybe was a bit too ambitious to have as a future plan. But you got to dream big was his motto back then. Not long ago his big dream along with smaller plans were shattered. And now he was slowly dying. From the inside as well as on the outside.

The sun was slowly fading and the air started to get chillier. The two of them were sitting at the same spot they usually sat. The third bench on the left. Over viewing the ocean and a small part of the local harbor. It was quit. They were the only two people left except for a man who was playing with his dog on the beach by throwing a stick. Two seagulls were fighting over a French fry that had been dropped by someone along the way. Another seagull was flying over making a noisy scraping sound.

She pinched his right upper arm, letting him know she was still waiting for an answer. “I don’t know” he finally replied. It was the truth. He didn’t know. “You don’t have any plans?” Her voice was sarcastic. “I don’t know. Maybe do something with music. Not anything special no.” “Music” she repeated “your parents are ok with that?” “I guess so.” “You guess so? “ “What are you going to do?” he fired back at her feeling uncomfortable talking about the subject . She laughed. “I don’t know.” His eyes shot a glance of disbelief towards her. “You are a hypocrite you know.” “Why? I never said you were foolish for having no plans after high school. I was just surprised that I wasn’t the only one with no plans.” A sigh escaped from his lips. Their conversation died.

Gently she rubbed her arms in response to a stronger breeze that started to blow. Goosebumps were visible and he noticed. “Here” he said taking of his grey vest and offered it to her. “You know it’s chill here at night, you should’ve brought one yourself.” She should have, but she didn’t want to. This strapless yellow dress looked good on her and she didn’t want to ruin it by wearing a sweater over it. After all she was a girl, and very vain some times.

With one movement she pulled up the zipper of the vest. Shameless she rested her head on his shoulder and pulled up her legs on the bench. He didn’t mind and stroked her hair for a bit then picked up his guitar which he brought along. “What do you want? “ he asked , his voice almost a whisper. “The usual” she answered closing her eyes. Without another word he started to strum on his guitar and played Iris by the Go Go Dolls. Her favorite.

They were in love with each other, head over heels . Neither of them dared to confess. Both for the same reason. To protect one another. But they enjoyed each other even as friends. There was no need for a romantic bond. They both were being realistic.