I'd Give Up Forever to Touch You

Chapter 5

Yesterday was the most craziest day of her life. It was so much to process. She was happy, because she had Alec back and he loved her back. Things between them would be ok again. She didn’t care what the school would think of him and her. She missed out on him too much already. But she was also devastated of the horrifying explanation he gave her. He was dying. She repeated it over and over again in her head. It sounded so surreal. Alec can’t die. He would recover from it. The doctors would call him a medical miracle. She was denying the truth.

Yesterday they talked so much, he even brought her to his home to warm up. She regretted running into the rain, she had a cold now.

His parents were very sweet. Happy that their son finally brought home a friend and very flattered that it was a girl. He played guitar for her like in the old days.

Samara did not tell him about the fact that she was leaving again this summer. It would be too much to handle for the both of them. She would tell him when the time was right.

As much as she wanted to see Alec again she decided to stay home, she felt very feverish after all. So she texted him and he understood.

The day after she decided to go to school again.

“Samara!” Charlotte screamed out in excitement at the other side of the hallway. Samara felt a little embarrassed and looked away. Charlotte almost ran towards her.

Thank goodness, you are ok! Everyone was so worried!”

“Worried? Why would people be worried? I ‘m just suffering from a little cold. I’m doing fine to be honest.”

Then Monica joined the conversation.

“What do you mean you don’t know why? Because of what happened two days ago off course. When that freak made you upset and ran after you. Gosh, he really don’t know to take a hint does he!? What was that about anyway?”

“Doesn’t matter anymore” Charlotte answered for her “They took care of it anyway.”

“How do you mean they took care of it anyway” both Samara and Monica asked almost harmony.
“you guy didn’t hear? Some guys beat him up after school yesterday. I don’t think he would dare to bother you again Samara.”

Samara felt paralyzed. This was bad. This was really really bad. All the sudden her happy bubble was gone. Now she realized why he and her could not be together. It was not for her protection, it was for his. Samara was angry. This was so unfair.

People were selfish and careless. Blind for their own opinions which only seemed to matter, not what other people thought.

That night she visited Alec. She was shocked, he looked so weak. She realized she really had to let go of him. They both knew it was not going to work. It was heartbreaking. They talked a lot until there was nothing to talk about anymore. She finally told him she was going to leave again within 2 months.

If she told him earlier, maybe even that summer he would be sad maybe even angry. Right now it seemed to be a good thing. They were forced to say goodbye, and it would be a warm goodbye. He was going to make sure of that. He was happy he got a change to know this girl in so many ways. She truly was a beautiful person to him.

Samara was happy that she finally could talk about her fears. Her mom and the whole moving to Korea part. Now she felt like she could cage this monster. It was going to be a challenge, but she was up for it. She was going to face it and make the best of it.

In the end they cried together. So much emotion bottled up inside, so many things happening at the same time, it was bound to happen.

Then the day of moving arrived. Everything was settled and within 24 hours Samara would start a live on a different continent. She finished high school with beautiful grades. She waved her friend Monica goodbye to med school. She and Alec were briefly in touch and he was the last person to say goodbye to.

As promised it was a warm goodbye. He made her a mixtape as a little memory of him. She loved it.
They both went a separate ways. Both had to deal with their own difficulties in life on their own again.

It’s like Randy Pausch once said: "We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand."
They had to keep their head up and make the best of it.